What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre...I beg you (1 Viewer)

Weiner Dog

Footballguy
This is getting embarrassing...

Packers | April 1 is not Favre's deadline

Wed, 29 Mar 2006 19:02:45 -0800

Pete Dougherty, of PackersNews.com, reports the Green Bay Packers have not set an April 1 deadline for QB Brett Favre to make his decision regarding the 2006 season. Some national media outlets have interpreted the April 1 date as a firm deadline and reported it as such. In fact, a source close to the situation said Favre was upset Tuesday night when he saw a report on ESPN that the team has asked for his decision by April 1 when no one from the organization ever has expressed any such deadline to him. When the Packers and Favre's agent, Bus Cook, moved back the date of Favre's roster bonus to April 1, they no doubt were hoping to have the situation resolved by then. While the Packers are getting closer to the point where they need to know, they're not there yet or they would have asked Favre for a firm deadline.

All that talk last year about how Javon was hurting the team by not coming in to camp. He's not a team guy and he should be here...

Well, now they are a month away from the NFL draft and Brett is playing tiddly winks!!! If he was a real team guy, as he wanted Javon to be, he would let them know now if not already before. I've never seen a guy get so pampered in the NFL and the media always sticking by him. :thumbdown:

Brett = hypocrite of sorts!

Favre hater? :confused:
I'm slowly becoming one.I love watching his throw-back style game. The guy will wear a t-shirt when it's 10 below zero. Favre's chin-strap looks like it's made from an old sock. He'll truly be remembered as one of the greatest QB's of all-time...

...when he officially retires.

I just cannot believe how he has handled talk of his pending retirement over the past few seasons. I would have to assume even the die-hard Packer fans are getting a tadbit restless, no??

Brett Favre is one of my top 3 favorite all-time players.

That said, hes being a #####.

If he really cared about the team and the city that has deified him, he'd make a decision now that would let the team plan around his decision.

Theyve already missed out on Aaron Brooks and Drew Brees because they didnt know Favre's status.

If he really cared about the team or city, hed have made a decision by now.

Favre, the poster guy for NFL football. A class act, ready to play his guts out no matter what. He may still be that person. But his floundering over retirment is just silly. He needs to make a choice.

I'm no Farve hatter. I admire him and love watching his old highlight films. But he should just retire before the team makes the choice for him. One way or another, the team needs to plan to have him or not to. He is delaying this process by making it the big secret of 2006, and thus hurting the team he loves.

Mike

Rice didn't ruin his legacy by signing with Denver and then getting cut prior to the first game of the season. Favre won't damage his by waiting too long in the offseason...especially if he comes back.

I understand opposing fans getting tired of announcers drooling over Favre. I used to want to puke when it was about MJ, Marino, etc. But don't trick yourself into thinking it's anything more than a grudge against a guy you either dislike or are tired of. Nothing significant has happened yet this offseason and he certainly hasn't damaged his legacy.

Favre needs to hurry up and make his damn decision. He's hurting the team, in my opinion, by putting off the decision.

But don't trick yourself into thinking it's anything more than a grudge against a guy you either dislike or are tired of.
Turn that around. Don't trick yourself into overlooking Favre's selfish behavior just because you happen to be a fan. I'll admit to being very tired of Favre, but I think it's a legitimate criticism.
he certainly hasn't damaged his legacy.
This is absolutely correct. Regardless of when he retires, this will be almost instantly forgotten by all but the most fervent Favre-haters.

I love to bash Favre every chance I get, but I am one for defending players when it comes to choosing to play or retire. A professional athlete is most likely only a professional because he had a burning desire to play the sport; they should I expect them to play as long a team is willing to pay them to play.

I lost a lot of respect for players like Jim Brown and Barry Sanders who walked away from the game prematurely; for the most part because it tells me football was not their true-love.

Reporter from ESPN: "Brett, have you heard the latest reports that Weiner Dog is fed up with the way you are handling the end of your career and that he is starting to turn into a Favre-hater?"

Favre: "Weiner Dog said that? Are you sure, man? I mean, Weiner Dog has always loved me."

Reporter: "Nope, not anymore, Brett. I have a transcript from a very credible source right here that says exactly that."

Favre: "Well, if Weiner Dog thinks that, I am hereby announcing my retirement."

Reporter: "There you have it folks! Weiner Dog has convinced Brett Favre that he knows what is best for Brett, much more than Brett does, and so Brett Favre has officially announced his retirement! We can not get any further comment from Brett as he is now completely despondent and is crying relentlessly. The only words we can make out is something about asking Weiner Dog for forgiveness. Back to the studio"

Favre...I beg you, please stop tarnishing your legacy!!!
Weiner Dog...I beg you, please stop tarnishing your legacy by starting another ####ing Favre retirement thread!!!
Nope. This is the first thread I have ever started regarding Favre and his handling of retirement.You may have me confused with 300 million other Americans...

...and, BTW, the legacy of Weiner Dog cannot and will not be tarnished.

Reporter from ESPN: "Brett, have you heard the latest reports that Weiner Dog is fed up with the way you are handling the end of your career and that he is starting to turn into a Favre-hater?"

Favre: "Weiner Dog said that? Are you sure, man? I mean, Weiner Dog has always loved me."

Reporter: "Nope, not anymore, Brett. I have a transcript from a very credible source right here that says exactly that."

Favre: "Well, if Weiner Dog thinks that, I am hereby announcing my retirement."

Reporter: "There you have it folks! Weiner Dog has convinced Brett Favre that he knows what is best for Brett, much more than Brett does, and so Brett Favre has officially announced his retirement! We can not get any further comment from Brett as he is now completely despondent and is crying relentlessly. The only words we can make out is something about asking Weiner Dog for forgiveness. Back to the studio"
Hilarious! :rolleyes: You actually wasted five minutes of your life typing this?!?!

Reporter from ESPN:  "Brett, have you heard the latest reports that Weiner Dog is fed up with the way you are handling the end of your career and that he is starting to turn into a Favre-hater?"

Favre:  "Weiner Dog said that?  Are you sure, man?  I mean, Weiner Dog has always loved me."

Reporter:  "Nope, not anymore, Brett.  I have a transcript from a very credible source right here that says exactly that."

Favre:  "Well, if Weiner Dog thinks that, I am hereby announcing my retirement."

Reporter:  "There you have it folks!  Weiner Dog has convinced Brett Favre that he knows what is best for Brett, much more than Brett does, and so Brett Favre has officially announced his retirement!  We can not get any further comment from Brett as he is now completely despondent and is crying relentlessly.  The only words we can make out is something about asking Weiner Dog for forgiveness.  Back to the studio"
Hilarious! :rolleyes: You actually wasted five minutes of your life typing this?!?!
I did it for you, WD. I don't consider that time wasted.

But don't trick yourself into thinking it's anything more than a grudge against a guy you either dislike or are tired of.
Turn that around. Don't trick yourself into overlooking Favre's selfish behavior just because you happen to be a fan. I'll admit to being very tired of Favre, but I think it's a legitimate criticism.
:goodposting:

The tag-team duo of Pony Boy and FlaVVed are at it again. If the name "Favre" is listed in the subject of any post, they both throw on their cheddar-colored latex suits and spring into action.

Would the Packers have let Nall go if Favre we're not coming back??:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...231513&hl=favre

Favre leaning toward retirement, reported on ESPNews:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...223509&hl=favre

Favre is a washed-up QB:

Brett Favre is not a HOFer??:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...203681&hl=favre

The tag-team duo of Pony Boy and FlaVVed are at it again. If the name "Favre" is listed in the subject of any post, they both throw on their cheddar-colored latex suits and spring into action.
:lmao: Nice try SherlockSearch by Keywords:

Favre

Filter by Member Name (optional)

Pony Boy

Search posts from...

180 day and Newer

Number of responses:

Search by Keywords:

Favre

Filter by Member Name (optional)

Search posts from...

180 day and Newer

Number of responses:

10 Pages 1 2 3 > » (Search results limited to first 1000)

Last edited by a moderator:
Favre has given only one interview since the end of the season yet people are tired of him.

Or over the last few years he answers questions honestly about retirement WHEN HE IS ASKED yet that irks people.

The guy has had a lot to deal with over the last two years. His dad died, his brother-in-law died, a hurricane destroyed his mothers house and almost killed her. His wife went through major cancer treatments yet people want to bust his balls over making one of the most difficult decisions of his life.

LOL at how this drives the haters nuts! :lmao:

I do understand the frustration of Packer fans but for non-Packer fans to bring this stuff up is just comical.

Would the Packers have let Nall go if Favre we're not coming back??:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...231513&hl=favre

Favre leaning toward retirement, reported on ESPNews:

Favre is a washed-up QB:

Brett Favre is not a HOFer??:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...203681&hl=favre
What's interesting is that you were able to find all of those Favre threads, but still started a new one. ;)

I personally don't care either way, but Favre's comment regarding the Saturday deadline - "what will they do if I don't decide...cut me?" shows a lack of respect for his fans and the organization. Maybe I'm among the few who think no player is bigger than his team, but that attitude is not the kind a leader should display.

If I were management, and Favre didn't decide by the deadline, I would cut him. Take the PR hit, but make the point, no player is bigger than the organization.

I personally don't care either way, but Favre's comment regarding the Saturday deadline - "what will they do if I don't decide...cut me?" shows a lack of respect for his fans and the organization. Maybe I'm among the few who think no player is bigger than his team, but that attitude is not the kind a leader should display.

If I were management, and Favre didn't decide by the deadline, I would cut him. Take the PR hit, but make the point, no player is bigger than the organization.
I agree. I have had big time man love for Favre, but his cavalier statement is antithetical to what I believe in. Were I the coach I would cut him.

I find this hard to believe. I suspect something is being taken out of text.

I agree. I have had big time man love for Favre, but his cavalier statement is antithetical to what I believe in shows exactly how sick & tired he is of being asked the same questions for 5 years by the idiots in the press. Were I the coach I would cut him I'd already know what he's planning on doing, which Packer management most probably already knows but wouldn't divulge to the press in respect to Favre's wishes.
Fixed

I personally don't care either way, but Favre's comment regarding the Saturday deadline - "what will they do if I don't decide...cut me?" shows a lack of respect for his fans and the organization.  Maybe I'm among the few who think no player is bigger than his team, but that attitude is not the kind a leader should display.

I saw the clip on the local news. Favre said "What are they gonna do...cut me? Well, I guess they could."His words. I'd be curious to see the rest of the interview as well, but I don't know if anyone has released it at this point.

I personally don't care either way, but Favre's comment regarding the Saturday deadline - "what will they do if I don't decide...cut me?" shows a lack of respect for his fans and the organization.  Maybe I'm among the few who think no player is bigger than his team, but that attitude is not the kind a leader should display.

I saw the clip on the local news. Favre said "What are they gonna do...cut me? Well, I guess they could."His words. I'd be curious to see the rest of the interview as well, but I don't know if anyone has released it at this point.
I suspect the rest of the interview sheds additional light on the text as well.I recall Randy Moss being interviewed:

Reporter - "Randy, when Cris Carter leaves the Vikings and is no longer your teammate and mentor, do you think you will still be motivated and give a 100%?"

Randy Moss - "I play when I want to play."

I am not comparing Randy Moss to Brett Favre, I am comparing there remarks and how their words can be miscontrued when we don't know what the question was.

Somewhat fuller context.

Asked whether the Packers gave him a firm deadline, Favre said flatly, "That's simply not true. I don't know where that comes from. If I don't make up my mind by Saturday, are they going to cut me? We still have 160 or so days until the opener but there are still things I need to work through, and I still need to see what the team is going to do, if they do certain things. If they don't, I guess I won't be playing."

Somewhat fuller context.

Asked whether the Packers gave him a firm deadline, Favre said flatly, "That's simply not true. I don't know where that comes from. If I don't make up my mind by Saturday, are they going to cut me? We still have 160 or so days until the opener but there are still things I need to work through, and I still need to see what the team is going to do, if they do certain things. If they don't, I guess I won't be playing."
It all starts to come into light...Favre is asked a question. Favre responds. I interpret this as Favre saying, "They have not given me a deadline. I expect them to give me a deadline prior to just cutting me. But ultimately, I guess they could cut me without giving me a deadline.

The 2+ year bump.The Favre coin keeps losing its luster. :shrug:
Yeah, that 4100-yard, 28-TD, 66.5% completion percentage season at age 38, when he took over the career records for number of wins and number of passing TDs, really screwed up his legacy.

He's going through what probably everyone does who leaves the game except reporters are always around. They probably camp out near his house hoping to see him in a bar so they can get him to talk. It's probably stage 5 of leaving the game.

He knows he can still play and if he retires he will never again hear roaring fans. He should probably join a network where he'll be close to the game but not play.

He's going through what probably everyone does who leaves the game except reporters are always around. They probably camp out near his house hoping to see him in a bar so they can get him to talk. It's probably stage 5 of leaving the game. He knows he can still play and if he retires he will never again hear roaring fans. He should probably join a network where he'll be close to the game but not play.
So you're just going to ignore that these reports are coming from multiple places saying that Favre or Cook called the office and going with the whole "grapevine" approach? This is like an ostriche sticking your head in the sand and hoping a tiger will just go away, only ostriches don't do that because it's ridiculous.

I doubt his legacy gets tarnished at all, no matter what happens.

Time is kind to most, people forget the way most players end their career. People always bring up certain players for hanging around too long, but does anyone really think less of a guy because he played too long?

I would think the last season he played, where he broke all kinds of records and carried at team into the playoffs - as he was pushing 40 years old - will have a lot more to do with how his legacy is viewed then any retirement talk.

Personally, I really don't see what the big deal is. If a player wants to retire and "un-retire" every year, so what? He can run his career however he wants. If his wishy-washy nature doesn't fit with his teams plans they can part ways.

If the Packers were to want Favre back and he were to want to come back, who cares if he said the word "retire"? It seems crazy to me that anyone would say that this tarnishes anything about him, save for maybe his decision making ability.

The guy played 17 years and crafted a stone cold lock Hall of Fame career, stayed out of trouble, fought and overcame personal demons, raised a family, was a great team mate by all accounts, was a first class on the field leader, won championships and entertained millions upon millions of people.

The idea that he can somehow "tarnish his legacy" (which is a idiotic term, in my opinion, he's an NFL QB, not Alexander the Great) by being unsure of giving up the only occupation and passion he has had since he was probably 5 or 6 years old is ridiculous to me.

I doubt his legacy gets tarnished at all, no matter what happens.Time is kind to most, people forget the way most players end their career. People always bring up certain players for hanging around too long, but does anyone really think less of a guy because he played too long?
People still talk around 40 years later about Willy Mays' inglorious exit from baseball in a Mets uniform, and he's no less of an icon than is Favre, so I'm not sure I agree.

I doubt his legacy gets tarnished at all, no matter what happens.Time is kind to most, people forget the way most players end their career. People always bring up certain players for hanging around too long, but does anyone really think less of a guy because he played too long?
People still talk around 40 years later about Willy Mays' inglorious exit from baseball in a Mets uniform
They do?

I would think the last season he played, where he broke all kinds of records and carried at team into the playoffs - as he was pushing 40 years old - will have a lot more to do with how his legacy is viewed then any retirement talk.Personally, I really don't see what the big deal is. If a player wants to retire and "un-retire" every year, so what? He can run his career however he wants. If his wishy-washy nature doesn't fit with his teams plans they can part ways.If the Packers were to want Favre back and he were to want to come back, who cares if he said the word "retire"? It seems crazy to me that anyone would say that this tarnishes anything about him, save for maybe his decision making ability.The guy played 17 years and crafted a stone cold lock Hall of Fame career, stayed out of trouble, fought and overcame personal demons, raised a family, was a great team mate by all accounts, was a first class on the field leader, won championships and entertained millions upon millions of people. The idea that he can somehow "tarnish his legacy" (which is a idiotic term, in my opinion, he's an NFL QB, not Alexander the Great) by being unsure of giving up the only occupation and passion he has had since he was probably 5 or 6 years old is ridiculous to me.
The #1 problem I have with Favre's relentless retirement talk is the fact he's placing his best interest in front of the team's best interest. Imagine you're the GM and/or coach of the Packers. Every offseason is filled with the chatter of "Favre's retirement". Do you push for the Big Game, or do you rebuild? It's not up to you as the GM...it's up to Favre. Heck, the Packers even burned a 1st-round pick on a QB waaaaay back in '05 to prepare for Favre's departure. It was a great move for the Pack at that time (especially, considering the fall Rodgers took in the draft). However, Rodgers has now burned 3 of the 5 years on his contract and he will be a free agent in two years.Favre is definitely big. Some would say he's a Top-5 all-time QB. However, GB is a Top-5 franchise and their legacy should take precedent over one player's.

People still talk around 40 years later about Willy Mays' inglorious exit from baseball in a Mets uniform
They do?
That was the first thing that popped into my head, as well: they do?When people talk about Willie Mays, they talk about The Catch, how he was a first ballot Hall of Famer, how he hit 660 HRs and how he was probably the best all around player the game has ever seen.If people end of talking of Favre the way people talk of Mays, Favre is in great shape.

They do?
Of course... I hear people talk about Johnny Unitas suiting up as a Charger at least once a day.

They do?
They bring it up when they talk about a player hanging around too long. But that's it. No one claims Mays wasn't an all-time great, so those Mets days really had no negative affect on his legacy. Franco Harris finished his career in Seattle, OJ Simpson in San Fran, all kinds of guys stick around longer than the fans think they should. I have a problem with Favre waffling, but only because it's not fair to anyone in Green Bay. I'm not worried about his legacy.

The #1 problem I have with Favre's relentless retirement talk is the fact he's placing his best interest in front of the team's best interest. Imagine you're the GM and/or coach of the Packers. Every offseason is filled with the chatter of "Favre's retirement". Do you push for the Big Game, or do you rebuild? It's not up to you as the GM...it's up to Favre. Heck, the Packers even burned a 1st-round pick on a QB waaaaay back in '05 to prepare for Favre's departure. It was a great move for the Pack at that time (especially, considering the fall Rodgers took in the draft). However, Rodgers has now burned 3 of the 5 years on his contract and he will be a free agent in two years.Favre is definitely big. Some would say he's a Top-5 all-time QB. However, GB is a Top-5 franchise and their legacy should take precedent over one player's.
I've never bought the "Favre is holding the team hostage" argument at all.If the problem is that the Packers "burned" a pick on Rodgers, that's on the team. They did so when they had a QB under contract for another 4 years. They knew perfectly well that he might choose to play out those four years.Furthermore, considering what Favre brought to the team for 15 years (when the real retirement talk started), I would think his career helped the Packers organization and fan base *much* more then them wasting a first round pick. In retrospect, if someone told you that you could have a HOF/MVP QB for 17 years but at the end you would have to "waste" a 1st round pick (which isn't even true because they still have a quality player on their roster), you take that trade any day of the week and twice on Sunday.Anytime the Packers couldn't deal with Favre, they could have cut ties with him. It might have been unpopular, but if it was hurting the franchise as much as some people would have you believe, then they should have done it. As it was, Favre's retirement talk "hurt" the Packers all the way to being a hair away from going to the Superbowl last year.If you want to accuse Favre of having bad judgment or being slow to act, fire away, that seems fair. But this is a guy that lives and breaths football. He doesn't have another skill set. He isn't going to be on FOX talking the game over with Michael Strahan. He isn't going to be writing articles for ESPN.com. He isn't even going to open a hardware store. He is a football player and he doesn't know how to do anything else. So, me personally, I don't blame a guy like that for having a hard time deciding between another year of the only thing he has ever known or the beginning of staring at 4 walls for the rest of his life.He hasn't tarnished a thing about his legacy. And he certainly hasn't abused the Packers legacy. If anything, he greatly added to the legacy of the Packers as he took his spot in line with all the great Packers in history.

Users who are viewing this thread