What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre Tried To Get Arrington To Sign W/Green Bay (1 Viewer)

packersfan

Footballguy
So much for the idea that Favre's "situation" will deter top-level free agents from coming to Green Bay. Favre did his best to get Arrington to sign with the Packers. It's also quite possible Arrington turned down more money from the Packers to go to the Giants and if that's true than Ted Thompson has to be cut some slack.

Link

So much for the idea that Favre's "situation" will deter top-level free agents from coming to Green Bay. Favre did his best to get Arrington to sign with the Packers. It's also quite possible Arrington turned down more money from the Packers to go to the Giants and if that's true than Ted Thompson has to be cut some slack.

Link
has Brett retired and become the GM?... I've heard lots of news saying Favre tried to get this guy, tried to get that one to come to GB...

The only way Favre could get Lavar in GB was to have GB and WAS be in the same division so Lavar can play the Skins twice.

Link
has Brett retired and become the GM?... I've heard lots of news saying Favre tried to get this guy, tried to get that one to come to GB...
This just in from NAKEDNEWSDOTCOM....Brett Favre is trying to get Brett Favre to sign with the Packers,the story says if Favre DOES sign then Favre WILL return for another season,stay tuned! :banned:

Link
The guy just can't win can he? First, he's hurting the team by not saying what he's doing. Then, when he actually goes out and recruits guys to come to Green Bay, he's overstepping his role and shouldn't be doing it. The guy wants to win. I don't blame him for giving a pitch to Arrington. Players recruiting players probably happens in the NFL more than we know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading beyond the obvious of Favre trying to recruit Arrington (which I think is cool BTW), I think one of two things happened.

#1)

Favre did not answer the one question (is he playing this season or not) that would have tipped the scales of Arrington signing with the Pack, in Green Bays favor.

#2)

Favre did answer the question and that's why Arrington chose to go elsewhere.

My :2cents: FWIW

Reading beyond the obvious of Favre trying to recruit Arrington (which I think is cool BTW), I think one of two things happened.

#1)

Favre did not answer the one question (is he playing this season or not) that would have tipped the scales of Arrington signing with the Pack, in Green Bays favor.

#2)

Not really. Arrington has said from day one he wants to face his old team and stay in the same division.

#1)

#2)

My  :2cents: FWIW
Not really. Arrington has said from day one he wants to face his old team and stay in the same division.
Oh! OK.I could've sworn where I read that Arrington said Favre's playing status would impact his decision on signing with Green Bay and that he wanted to talk to him.

Maybe I'm mistaken :shrug:

Not only does he want to play in the NFC East, he wants to be on a competitve team.....Green Bay isn't.

So much for the idea that Favre's "situation" will deter top-level free agents from coming to Green Bay.

Link
So Arrington signed with Green Bay since he knew Favre was coming back? I guess the news reports of him signing with the Giants are wrong, and the reports that Favre hasn't made up his mind are wrong.

Here is the article from the link to Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

It's easy to assume that quarterback Brett Favre's uncertain status played a role in free-agent linebacker LaVar Arrington's decision to reject the Green Bay Packers' offer and sign with the New York Giants.

But Arrington told the Washington Times last weekend that Favre intervened on the Packers' behalf late in the process to strongly encourage the three-time Pro Bowl linebacker to sign with the Packers. Arrington told the newspaper that Favre nearly swayed him to accept an offer from Green Bay that was thought to be for more money than what the Giants offered.

One of Arrington's agents, Kevin Poston, confirmed that Arrington didn't take the best offer on the table, telling the Newark Star-Ledger that one of the teams offered slightly more, although he declined to name the team. The Packers and Giants were thought to be the two finalists in the Arrington sweepstakes, with Miami and Jacksonville making pitches as well.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson said he had no knowledge of Favre playing a role in recruiting Arrington. Neither Poston nor Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, could be reached for comment.

But the Times reported that Arrington received a sales pitch from Favre before he made his decision and thought hard about it.

Thompson remained vague about Favre's status for next season and said he, like everyone else, was waiting to hear whether he would return this season. Meeting with reporters at a pre-draft news conference Monday in Green Bay, Thompson seemed at ease with the possibility that Favre would wait until after the draft to make his decision and indicated that it wouldn't affect his plans for this weekend.

"He has reached a certain position in this game and the respect we all have for him, he's trying to make this decision and is trying to do it in the best way he can for him and his family," Thompson said. "You wished we had it earlier. We had this so-called timeline, but it was always throwing the dart at the calendar. We'd like to know but I'm sure he'd like to know."

Asked if he expected to hear something before the draft, Thompson said: "I've gotten to the point where I'm not necessarily anticipating, but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if we got some sort of answer. I'm probably the same as you guys."

If Favre was playing recruiter for the Packers it would seem to indicate a strong desire to return, but he has said in various interviews that he's feeling the itch to play but doesn't want to endure another 4-12 season. Arrington expressed to the Times that the fact the Packers were 4-12 last season and that Favre might play only one more year were factors that weighed on his mind.

Now that Arrington has gone to New York, the last big-name free agent out there is cornerback Charles Woodson, who remains high on the Packers' wish list. Talks with Woodson and his agent, Carl Poston, Kevin Poston's brother, continued Monday. The Packers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the front-runners for Woodson's services and it's possible the veteran cornerback will make a decision on his new home before the draft.

The fact the Packers are coming off their first losing season since Favre became the starter in 1992 and Favre is nearing the end of the road probably isn't doing the Packers many favors in free agency. Add in the uncertain status of wide receiver Javon Walker, who has vowed never to play for the team again, and Green Bay has lost a lot of its cachet.

Arrington listed factors such as remaining in the NFC East where he could play against his old team twice a year, staying close to his home in Annapolis, Md., and playing in a big city as factors that led him to the Giants. But he also identified the Giants as "a winning team, a team heading in the right direction," in the Times interview.If the Packers are able to sign Woodson it would certainly be an argument against Green Bay returning to the barren northern outpost it was in the 1970s and '80s. The Packers are going up against a Buccaneers team that features Woodson's old Oakland Raiders coach Jon Gruden, whose persuasiveness can lead players to take less money to play for him.

However, Thompson reiterated that he is not going to engage in profligacy to build his football team.

"We will continue to make efforts to do some things," Thompson said.

"We do try to make certain what we do is not just fantasy football. We're investing in a player that has to come in here and play a particular role. If we don't think that player can perform to that contract it doesn't make sense for us to do it just to say, 'Look at what we spent.' "

#1)

#2)

:goodposting:

#1)

#2)

My  :2cents: FWIW
Did you read the article? :loco:

What a guy. I wonder how many other players Brett "I might not play football for you, but I'll play GM" Favre almost talked into going to Green Bay, while he is still holding out?

#1)

#2)

The article didn't have any specifics about what Favre said to Lavar, other than come play for the Packers. I'm sure it was discussed whether Favre was returning and when Favre said he didn't know yet it made the decision for Lavar to go to the Giants easier. Lavar would probably have been a Packer if Favre had told him he was coming back.

#1)

#2)

The article didn't have any specifics about what Favre said to Lavar, other than come play for the Packers. I'm sure it was discussed whether Favre was returning and when Favre said he didn't know yet it made the decision for Lavar to go to the Giants easier. Lavar would probably have been a Packer if Favre had told him he was coming back.
cstu,Sometimes you have to spell it out, before Bubba understands these things.

:rolleyes:

The fact that Favre lobbied Arrington should have said it all for Lavar. Why would Favre bother if he didn't want to play?

And obviously Favre isn't going to leak his decision to Arrington. That would be a really stupid way to break the news that he's returning in '06.

Given that Lavar turned around right away and told the media that Favre "lobbied him", it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what Lavar would have done with news of Favre's return in '06.....

And if the Packers had even a remote chance of contending for the playoffs, and if it was just up the road to where he has been playing, and played in college, and if Green Bay was the media stage that NY is, and if the Packers were suddenly put into the NFC East so he could play against the Skins twice a year, then yes I agree with you Lavar would have been a Packer

Lavar would probably have been a Packer if Favre had told him he was coming back.
What brings you to this conclusion? Other article/reports? I'm not saying you are wrong, but from just this article. I don't get there.

Lavar would probably have been a Packer if Favre had told him he was coming back.
What brings you to this conclusion? Other article/reports? I'm not saying you are wrong, but from just this article. I don't get there.
Packers' prospects, Favre, money are key factors

By TOM SILVERSTEIN

tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com

Posted: April 11, 2006

During his visit, Arrington asked the Packers if he could talk to Favre, Poston said. Arrington thought that it was important to know whether the future Hall of Fame quarterback was coming back for another season or if there was anything he should know about playing in Green Bay.
www.jsonline.com

By TOM SILVERSTEIN

During his visit, Arrington asked the Packers if he could talk to Favre, Poston said. Arrington thought that it was important to know whether the future Hall of Fame quarterback was coming back for another season or if there was anything he should know about playing in Green Bay.
www.jsonline.com
OK......still says nothing about Favre coming back or not.

I see that the Favre haters didn't comprehend this part of the article...

"Arrington listed factors such as remaining in the NFC East where he could play against his old team twice a year, staying close to his home in Annapolis, Md., and playing in a big city as factors that led him to the Giants. But he also identified the Giants as "a winning team, a team heading in the right direction," in the Times interview."

or this one

"Arrington told the newspaper that Favre nearly swayed him to accept an offer from Green Bay that was thought to be for more money than what the Giants offered."

By TOM SILVERSTEIN

www.jsonline.com
You're right it doesn't. It was answering Mystery Achiever's question.

By TOM SILVERSTEIN

www.jsonline.com
Thx for responding. Can't get the link to work. But just because he asked whether Favre was coming back doesn't mean he was all set to sign pending the answer.

By TOM SILVERSTEIN

www.jsonline.com
Thx for responding. Can't get the link to work. But just because he asked whether Favre was coming back doesn't mean he was all set to sign pending the answer.
Not sure why that link didn't work? Try this one. linkNo doubt several factors came into play, but according to various articles, whether or not Favre is playing this year seems to have been one of them.

Was it THE deciding factor tipping the scales against the Pack?

Who knows and I'm sure that's why cstu qualified his statement with the word "probably" .

Anyway that's the answer to your original question.

[Not sure why that link didn't work? Try this one. link

No doubt several factors came into play, but according to various articles, whether or not Favre is playing this year seems to have been one of them.

Who knows and I'm sure that's why cstu qualified his statement with the word "probably" .

Thx. That one works. Lists many possible factors, too. ;) (And, yes, I believe Favre was one of them)

And, of course, we are all taking Lavar at his word for the reasons and how close he was to deciding on Green Bay anyway...

p.s. - that's not a theory or accusation, btw

[Not sure why that link didn't work? Try this one. link

No doubt several factors came into play, but according to various articles, whether or not Favre is playing this year seems to have been one of them.

Thx. That one works. Lists many possible factors, too. ;) (And, yes, I believe Favre was one of them)

And, of course, we are all taking Lavar at his word for the reasons and how close he was to deciding on Green Bay anyway...

p.s. - that's not a theory or accusation, btw
Truly nobody really knows, besides Arrington.

By TOM SILVERSTEIN

www.jsonline.com
Not sure why that link didn't work? Try this one. linkNo doubt several factors came into play, but according to various articles, whether or not Favre is playing this year seems to have been one of them.

I said probably since why would Lavar be interested in talking to Favre if he wasn't serious about going to the Packers? Maybe he's just a fan, but it's a sign to me that he strongly considered GB and Favre's answer made a significant impact on his decision.

By TOM SILVERSTEIN

www.jsonline.com

I said probably since why would Lavar be interested in talking to Favre if he wasn't serious about going to the Packers? Maybe he's just a fan, but it's a sign to me that he strongly considered GB and Favre's answer made a significant impact on his decision.
Or maybe Arrington realized that even if Brett returned he may only be there one more year.Or it could be the multiple reasons Arrington stated on why he signed with the Giants including the chance to play with DC Tim Lewis(which wasn't mentioned here but in other articles).

By TOM SILVERSTEIN

www.jsonline.com

Or maybe Arrington realized that even if Brett returned he may only be there one more year.Or it could be the multiple reasons Arrington stated on why he signed with the Giants including the chance to play with DC Tim Lewis(which wasn't mentioned here but in other articles).
And that may be the case as well, but truly nobody really knows, aside from Arrington. :shrug:

What a guy. I wonder how many other players Brett "I might not play football for you, but I'll play GM" Favre almost talked into going to Green Bay, while he is still holding out?
Favre isn't holding out. HTH.
Under contract? Yes.Participating in team activities? No.

Says he's coming back? No.

Says he won't come back unless he gets what he wants? Yes.

Then Javon Walker isn't holding out either at this moment.

:rolleyes:

If indeed Favre tried to get Arrington to sign with Green Bay, it's yet another thing he's failed at in the past couple of years.

Hang 'em up Brett, or pay the price for another season.

The Chicago Bears OWN you now #4 - I look forward to your burial at Soldier Field in Week 17 of this season. :)

If indeed Favre tried to get Arrington to sign with Green Bay, it's yet another thing he's failed at in the past couple of years.

The Chicago Bears OWN you now #4 - I look forward to your burial at Soldier Field in Week 17 of this season. :)
:yawn:

what's holding out mean to you?

That's what I'm trying to figure out, the meaning of "holding out". Favre and Walker are saying different words but are doing the same things. Management is treating them differently because of the difference in their popularity with fans, more than any other reason. How about this for a definition: under contract, supposed to be participating, not participating due to having conditions he wants the team to meet.

That's what I'm trying to figure out, the meaning of "holding out". Favre and Walker are saying different words but are doing the same things. Management is treating them differently because of the difference in their popularity with fans, more than any other reason. How about this for a definition: under contract, supposed to be participating, not participating due to having conditions he wants the team to meet.
What exactly has Favre not participated in? And they are two completely different situations but I wouldn't expect you to see that.

holding out for a new or better contractFavre isn't doing that

ETA McCarthy, at times, hasn't seemed to care if Brett showed up thus far. I think they extended his deadline a few times.

The Chicago Bears OWN you now #4 - I look forward to your burial at Soldier Field in Week 17 of this season.  :)
I know, the truth is quite painful - isn't it?

The Chicago Bears OWN you now #4 - I look forward to your burial at Soldier Field in Week 17 of this season.  :)
I know, the truth is quite painful - isn't it?
what's brett favre's career record playing at soldier field?now that truth must be painful for a bears fan

lol, i saw an arrington interview on espn last night and it now seems unlikely to me that he would've chosen any team outside of the nfc east given the option.

boy is he bitter!

Link
This just in from NAKEDNEWSDOTCOM....Brett Favre is trying to get Brett Favre to sign with the Packers,the story says if Favre DOES sign then Favre WILL return for another season,stay tuned! :banned:
Looks like I was right... :banned:

Users who are viewing this thread