What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG 2005 Strategy Magazine (1 Viewer)

In reality, I pushed hard to have someone atypical on the cover, so I guess that was my input to the cover . . .
Given the fact that RB is by far the dominant position in FF, I think it would be a mistake to put anything other than a RB on the cover. If even subliminally, a potential buyer who understands the hobby and sees a QB or WR on the cover might wonder if the writers 'get it.' That's not the first impression I wan to give.As to the choice of Barber, while I understand why he was chosen (the 'steal of the draft,' or value concept), I do not agree with it from a magazine salability standpoint. The magazine isn't being produced to sell to those already familiar with FBG, but as an introduction to FBG. The guy looking at the magazine choices at the newsstand thinks to himself "This mag likes Barber best. This other mag likes LT best. I think LT is best, so I'll take that mag." The magazine has to be sold first, THEN the value concept (e.g., Barber) can be hammered home. I would always go with the expected #1 overall draft pick for the upcoming year even if every other magazine was choosing the same guy. The immediate recognizability of that player (Tomlinson this year) sells, while the subtle point trying to be made by putting someone atypical on there is lost on potential buyers.

:thumbup:

Looks great, guys! I think the only thing you need to do (for us FBG Diehards) is create an off the wall cover with Black Eyed Joe as the title, with some obscure player that none of us will draft on it so we can place it over the top!

I'd pay extra for that!
Hang on Uncle Randy. Blackeyedjoe will have it's own magazine cover here soon for you. Hang tight...

J

In reality, I pushed hard to have someone atypical on the cover, so I guess that was my input to the cover . . .
Given the fact that RB is by far the dominant position in FF, I think it would be a mistake to put anything other than a RB on the cover. If even subliminally, a potential buyer who understands the hobby and sees a QB or WR on the cover might wonder if the writers 'get it.' That's not the first impression I wan to give.As to the choice of Barber, while I understand why he was chosen (the 'steal of the draft,' or value concept), I do not agree with it from a magazine salability standpoint. The magazine isn't being produced to sell to those already familiar with FBG, but as an introduction to FBG. The guy looking at the magazine choices at the newsstand thinks to himself "This mag likes Barber best. This other mag likes LT best. I think LT is best, so I'll take that mag." The magazine has to be sold first, THEN the value concept (e.g., Barber) can be hammered home. I would always go with the expected #1 overall draft pick for the upcoming year even if every other magazine was choosing the same guy. The immediate recognizability of that player (Tomlinson this year) sells, while the subtle point trying to be made by putting someone atypical on there is lost on potential buyers.
Thanks CP.We considered that pretty heavily and I definitely see your point. I had a sweet pic of LT in a throwback lined up. But in the end, we felt standing out vs blending in was the answer. Was it the right answer? Heck, I dunno. The consumers on the playing field of the newstand will answer that one. We'll see. Thanks for the feedback.

J

I like the Tiki cover. A lot of people who drafted him last year will like the cover, and it will certainly get people's attention better than a picture of one of the consensus top picks.
I voted for a picture of two scantily clad women sandwiched between theWCOFF winner holding a check for however many thousands of dollars, but that never got off the ground.In reality, I pushed hard to have someone atypical on the cover, so I guess that was my input to the cover . . .
I voted for a picture of two scantily clad women surrounding me. Joe didn't think it had mass appeal.

We had a thread debating all this that went on for pages and pages.I didn't have a ton to do with the cover, but the debate hinged on going with the grain (LT and Manning) or something different. One alternative was going with a "new breed" theme of the new guys that could (should?) blossom this year.

I liked the idea in which we had a group photo of KJones, JJones, CJohnson, AGates (or something similar) to try to reflect more of where the games is going in the future--but ultimately we went another direction for fear that some people in different parts of the country might not be as familiar with some of these guys.

I guess we are all different. I suggested trying to highlight FBG = not like all the rest as an advantage to potential purchasers. With the focus this year's publication on strategy, the idea was that LT and Manning could be too passe for hardcore fantasy football owners.

I think the point we ended up trying to make was that the name guys are not always the guys that will help you win your league. It was kinda like, "Duh, I already know LT is a stud, is that the best you can do?"

I like the Tiki cover.  A lot of people who drafted him last year will like the cover, and it will certainly get people's attention better than a picture of one of the consensus top picks. 
I voted for a picture of two scantily clad women sandwiched between theWCOFF winner holding a check for however many thousands of dollars, but that never got off the ground.In reality, I pushed hard to have someone atypical on the cover, so I guess that was my input to the cover . . .
I voted for a picture of two scantily clad women surrounding me. Joe didn't think it had mass appeal.
I think if it was done right . . . all nude, tasefully done. And the women positiioned properly so we didn't have to see your ugly mug, it could have worked. ;)

I like the Tiki cover. A lot of people who drafted him last year will like the cover, and it will certainly get people's attention better than a picture of one of the consensus top picks.
I think if it was done right . . . all nude, tasefully done. And the women positiioned properly so we didn't have to see your ugly mug, it could have worked. ;)
But definitely. All nude.

I like the Tiki cover.  A lot of people who drafted him last year will like the cover, and it will certainly get people's attention better than a picture of one of the consensus top picks. 

I also like the article selection.  Strategy articles are a big differentiator.  Can't wait to see what you've done with the rest of it.
Thanks Fred.You'll get a kick out of this. For about 5 days in March, I seriously toyed with the idea of putting a full cover shot of Belichick on there. That would have been different. They talked me down from it but I thought it would have been cool.

J
That would have been cool. I'm sure Chase had something to do with this. But would his picture be governed by the same rules as a player's? Do you have to pay to use their images? I never knew how that worked.

But tasteful. Because it's important. To be tasteful.

I also like the article selection.  Strategy articles are a big differentiator.  Can't wait to see what you've done with the rest of it.
Thanks Fred.You'll get a kick out of this. For about 5 days in March, I seriously toyed with the idea of putting a full cover shot of Belichick on there. That would have been different. They talked me down from it but I thought it would have been cool.

J
That would have been cool. I'm sure Chase had something to do with this. But would his picture be governed by the same rules as a player's? Do you have to pay to use their images? I never knew how that worked.
Hey Fred, Actually Belichick was my goofy idea. And yes, the magazine people work out the images with the folks that govern those. Belichick falls in the same area as a player I believe.

J

:( the crowd is sad........Say bye bye to your edge, FBG subscribers. Now it will become more like a poker or chess game with the league mate across the table with his own copy of VBD sheets......

Kudos for putting your dreams and visions into action. There are multitudes in this world with ideas, dreams, and aspirations, but few with the fortitude to follow through. The successful in this life are not necessarily those with the best ideas, but rather are those willing to put in the work to bring their ideas to fruition. I hope your entreprenual spirit is rewarded with success.

I'm curious -- did the fact that New York is the nation's largest media market play a part in the selection of Barber? Nothing wrong with that. It just occured to me that it might be helpful, though it's probably too minor to matter.

Joe Bryant and David Yudkin - Thanks for the insider info concerning the cover. I appreciate you taking the time to share some of the behind the scenes thinking that went on.

Joe Bryant and David Yudkin -

Thanks for the insider info concerning the cover. I appreciate you taking the time to share some of the behind the scenes thinking that went on.
Let's be clear on one thing . . .This is Joe's universe, and I am just happy to live in it!

Joe Bryant and David Yudkin -

Thanks for the insider info concerning the cover. I appreciate you taking the time to share some of the behind the scenes thinking that went on.
Let's be clear on one thing . . .This is Joe's universe, and I am just happy to live in it!
Scary sharing top billing there, huh David? :P At least I didn't say "David Yudkin and Joe Bryant -" Maybe someday, David. Hey, here's something that might be helpful in your FBG career. You're welcome. ;)

The Prince by Machiavelli

While the magazine may be stale by draft time, from a business perspective it is more of a marketing tool to get new subscribers to the site and use that than hoping people rely on it for their draft.Even if the magazine is ran at a loss I imagine the fbg crew would be happy and chalk it up as an advertising expense.Any profit made on the magazine would be gravy I suspect.I won't be buying one as this business has evolved past magazines, but I understand the logic behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kudos for putting your dreams and visions into action. There are multitudes in this world with ideas, dreams, and aspirations, but few with the fortitude to follow through. The successful in this life are not necessarily those with the best ideas, but rather are those willing to put in the work to bring their ideas to fruition. I hope your entreprenual spirit is rewarded with success.
Thanks DW. We'll see. All I've got right now is a much lighter wallet so we'll see about the "reward" part. ;) I don't disagree with you on the "giving it a shot" angle. I've always tried to live that way. Lots of crashes but every once in a while, you hit on something. We'll see.

It's been a good learning experience if nothing else.

J

I'm curious -- did the fact that New York is the nation's largest media market play a part in the selection of Barber? Nothing wrong with that. It just occured to me that it might be helpful, though it's probably too minor to matter.
Hi CP,I won't say it had a huge play but it definitely made picking a not so obvious player easier to handle. Oddly enough, the other guy that fit the bill for me on the "value" angle was Curtis Martin.

Would I have done it if Tiki played in Seattle or Arizona or Nashville? I dunno. That's a fair question. That also gets into the angle of would I have done the cover with Julius / Kevin Jones type guy. Another good question. For me, Tiki had two huge pluses going for him in the "why would you use less than a top name guy?"

First and foremost, I fell in love with the photo. I almost hated to put any words on top of the image becuase I think the photo is just fantastic.

Secondly, most everyone knows who Barber is. He's very popular and is a charismatic kind of guy. There will be people who know Barber that don't know Kevin Jones.

The value thing was huge. I firmly believe that few people won their league last year because of Tomlinson. Everyone expected him to be great. He did just what he was expected to do. Barber on the other hand, far out performed his draft slot. That's how you win. I really think the savvy guy we're going after relates to that.

Last, is the NY thing. It certainly made the decision easier knowing how well known he is in that giant market.

Designing this cover was actually a lot of fun (I can say that now that it's done) as I thought about a lot of stuff I hadn't really thought about before.

J

Hang on Uncle Randy.

Blackeyedjoe will have it's own magazine cover here soon for you. Hang tight...

J
You're joking, right? Oh that is too sweet!
Oh yeah Randy.Sit tight and you'll see soon. When I designed the cover, I mocked up a goofy looking thing by hand. Clayton calls it my "Ransom Note" cover. It looks like a kid put it together.

I want to replace the FBG with a BEJ and run it on the Blackeyedjoe.com site. Say that we were trying to hold costs down...

J

My initial response would be a feeling that the subscriber's are being sold out. But then I know I'm good enough to overcome some magazine drafter.

My initial response would be a feeling that the subscriber's are being sold out. But then I know I'm good enough to overcome some magazine drafter.
Yea. My immediate response was to buy all the copies near the homes and jobs of my re-drafter leagues member here in Dallas- then mail them rags like the Sporting News Fantasy.

Out of curiosity, does Tiki Barber receive any kind of compensation for being on the cover of your magazine? Or do you guys have to pay the NFL at all?

Out of curiosity, does Tiki Barber receive any kind of compensation for being on the cover of your magazine? Or do you guys have to pay the NFL at all?
Hi Nipsey,Yes, that all goes through shops like Getty images with the magazines. I'm not sure exactly how Barber and the photographer are compensated. The mag folks work all that through Getty.

I know some of the images are really expensive. We used a cheerleader image for one of our ads and the rights to use the photo cost me almost $1,000. And she wasn't anything really special. Interesting business.

J

I'm sure Chase had something to do with this. But would his picture be governed by the same rules as a player's?
Actually, Chase's picture was too expensive for us, so we had to settle for Barber's.

I think if it was done right . . . all nude, tastefully done. And the women positioned properly so we didn't have to see your ugly mug, it could have worked. ;)
I didn't realize that an all nude Chase cover was an option. That would have have monstrous Mass appeal. ;)

J
There were a number of us pushing hard for the Belichick cover after Joe suggested it. Didn't come into being. :kicksrock:

I know some of the images are really expensive. We used a cheerleader image for one of our ads and the rights to use the photo cost me almost $1,000.  And she wasn't anything really special. Interesting business.

J
Wow. You overspent there. Wimer would have posed in a wig and cheerleader outfit for you for fifty bucks (I hear he does it for his wife for free). A little air brushing and no one would have been the wiser.
No posing or wigs necessary with the Mrs. ... luckily, she's very near-sighted, so air-brushing isn't an issue either... :lol: While we're at it -- air-brushing an image like this would have been a challenge...

Computer Generated Simulation of Couch Potato's vision...

'Nuf Said...

I know some of the images are really expensive. We used a cheerleader image for one of our ads and the rights to use the photo cost me almost $1,000. And she wasn't anything really special. Interesting business.

J
Wow. You overspent there. Wimer would have posed in a wig and cheerleader outfit for you for fifty bucks (I hear he does it for his wife for free). A little air brushing and no one would have been the wiser.
No posing or wigs necessary with the Mrs. ... luckily, she's very near-sighted, so air-brushing isn't an issue either... :lol: While we're at it -- air-brushing an image like this would have been a challenge...

Computer Generated Simulation of Couch Potato's vision...

'Nuf Said...
:lmao: :lmao: Oh baby oh baby!On that note, I'm going to call it a night. (I hope that last image doesn't cause nightmares. Thanks a lot Mark!)

Just wanted to say the mag looks great guys! As usual, outstanding work. The fantasy community will truley benefit with the addition of what will become the best mag in the business.Hats off gentleman! :thumbup:

I'm an on-line subscriber and will also buy the magazine. As mentioned, I think it's great for reading before bed, bathroom or by the pool this summer. It's not going to take the place of up to date information that this site covers, but as far as overall strategies or player features those will be fun to read.Tiki on the cover is great. I'm tired of seeing Manning or LT2 and like the whole idea about drafting for value.I'm looking forward to buying the magazine thru this site for the member discount :hophead: :excited:

I'm an on-line subscriber and will also buy the magazine. As mentioned, I think it's great for reading before bed, bathroom or by the pool this summer. It's not going to take the place of up to date information that this site covers, but as far as overall strategies or player features those will be fun to read.

Tiki on the cover is great. I'm tired of seeing Manning or LT2 and like the whole idea about drafting for value.

I'm looking forward to buying the magazine thru this site for the member discount :hophead: :excited:
:goodposting: by the Cowboy! Sign me up for the member discount and since I'm leaving for vacation at the beach on July 6th, could I get near the top of the list for the early mailing?Thanks! :pics:

Magazine cover says: STEAL OF THE DRAFT.  Tiki Barber was the steal in 2004.  Who will it be this season?  Find out on page 131.

Please tell me I won't find SOD Onterrio Smith on page 131, or you guys are doomed.  ;)

So who's gonna be on page 131?  My guess - gotta be Donald Driver.
Without getting to the bottom of the thread....Not if Colin had anything to do with who's on Pg. 131

Viva Robert Ferguson!!!

EDIT TO ADD: I forgot the :excited: and the ;)

Just a thought...A lot of people here have said things along the lines of "oh no, this means everyone in my league will have my source!" I know these were mostly tongue in cheek meant to compliment the site; still, I for one have been preaching the site to my league since I discovered it and would encourage others to do the same. Footballguys doesn't just spoon feed you cheat sheets and let you go, they give you tools and insight to change the way you think about the game, and I trust that I'll do more with what I learn here than the other owners. So don't be afraid!! Spread the word! Then when you win your league you will know it's not just because you know of the best football site on the web, but also that you did the most with that knowledge.I'll be buying the mag for sure! Keep up the good work! :D

The value thing was huge. I firmly believe that few people won their league last year because of Tomlinson. Everyone expected him to be great. He did just what he was expected to do. Barber on the other hand, far out performed his draft slot. That's how you win. I really think the savvy guy we're going after relates to that.

J
Re: the "value" of Tiki, the FBG staff final consensus preseason ranking listed Tiki as the #23 RB on August 30, 2004. Any sense of guilt throwing a guy on the FBG cover whose value was overlooked by FBG?Tiki's finishes the last few years (13th, 14th, 7th, 15th, then 2nd last year) suggests that the staff consensus RB23 ranking was way off, and FBG users were more likely to miss the boat on Tiki than if they would have drafted Tiki based on his final numbers since 2000.

I love the shot of Tiki (intense look) on the cover, but considering how badly the staff missed the boat on him last year, I would have been hesistent to put him on the cover as an example of how the FBG staff can help find value.

I'm just sayin.....

Just a thought...

A lot of people here have said things along the lines of "oh no, this means everyone in my league will have my source!" I know these were mostly tongue in cheek meant to compliment the site; still, I for one have been preaching the site to my league since I discovered it and would encourage others to do the same. Footballguys doesn't just spoon feed you cheat sheets and let you go, they give you tools and insight to change the way you think about the game, and I trust that I'll do more with what I learn here than the other owners.

So don't be afraid!! Spread the word! Then when you win your league you will know it's not just because you know of the best football site on the web, but also that you did the most with that knowledge.

I'll be buying the mag for sure! Keep up the good work!

:D
Very well said. I do the same thing. I even like to bounce ideas and talk players with some of my leaguemates during the off season. I just don't understand the paranoia that some people have about the sharing of information. It's about what you do with that information that makes you successful.

Who are the distributors going to be in Canada? Indigo? Or should I just keep my open at my average magazine shop and hope I find it?best of luck.

J
Re: the "value" of Tiki, the FBG staff final consensus preseason ranking listed Tiki as the #23 RB on August 30, 2004. Any sense of guilt throwing a guy on the FBG cover whose value was overlooked by FBG?Tiki's finishes the last few years (13th, 14th, 7th, 15th, then 2nd last year) suggests that the staff consensus RB23 ranking was way off, and FBG users were more likely to miss the boat on Tiki than if they would have drafted Tiki based on his final numbers since 2000.

I love the shot of Tiki (intense look) on the cover, but considering how badly the staff missed the boat on him last year, I would have been hesistent to put him on the cover as an example of how the FBG staff can help find value.

I'm just sayin.....
Hi tommy,No reservation at all. The magazine is about looking forward, not back. We had him projected as our #20 RB http://apps.footballguys.com/04rbproj1.cfm somewhat believing Coughlin that Dayne would steal goalline carries. He obviously should have been much higher.

But that's a totally different angle. If we wanted to go down the path you're talking about, we'd talk about how well we did against the other companies in the Fantasy Index Poll or the other endorsements and such. That's not what I'm doing on this one. We're looking for the 2005 Barber.

I'd have put him on the cover no matter where we projected him last year. Thanks for asking though. ;)

J

I abandoned buying FF mags about 4 years ago because of my laptop and FBG. I will have to go back to my "old school" ways a bit. PLus, its easier to take a mag into the throne than my laptop :D

Hey Guys,Just wondering if this mag is going to ship to Canadian stores, or will we have to buy it through the website?Looks awesome Joe!!! :thumbup: Parm

I'm in on the pre-orders. I teach and we get done this week. Need some stuff to look through as I spend the next three months getting ready to dominate this year :boxing:

J

I'm just sayin.....
Hi tommy,No reservation at all. The magazine is about looking forward, not back. We had him projected as our #20 RB http://apps.footballguys.com/04rbproj1.cfm somewhat believing Coughlin that Dayne would steal goalline carries. He obviously should have been much higher.

But that's a totally different angle. If we wanted to go down the path you're talking about, we'd talk about how well we did against the other companies in the Fantasy Index Poll or the other endorsements and such. That's not what I'm doing on this one. We're looking for the 2005 Barber.

I'd have put him on the cover no matter where we projected him last year. Thanks for asking though. ;)

J
Good response. I don't buy it, but that's exactly what I'd say if I were in your position. :D Again, :thumbup: on the magazine - seems to be the next logical step when sites go big time. I imagine Yahoo or CBS will be making you and Dave "an offer you CAN'T refuse" in the next few years.

Early retirement beckons.....

I didn't go through the entire thread, but what is the difference between the subscription and buying the magazine? I have been a loyal subscriber for the past five years and already have mine this year. I have bought Fantasy Football Index just for bathroom reading material for the past 5-6 years as well. Now I have the subscription for FBG already this year, why buy the magazine? Convince me, I want to buy it instead of Fantasy Football Index.

Users who are viewing this thread