What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Gardening Thread - 2024 Finally time to start seeds indoors in the northeast! (1 Viewer)

Hemmed and hawed about planting yesterday because they were calling for heavy Tstorms.

Got all my mowing done, had some drinks in the afternoon and went to town.

Planted my tomatoes and peppers that I started from seed indoors red and orange bell, Marconi , hot Hungarian and poblano.

Cucumber (burpless), zucchini (a mix of varieties), yellow grilling squash, eggplant, spring onions, spring mix baby lettuce. I still have a little room, for what I’m not sure yet. 
We got a minor t storm last night with not too much rain. It rained pretty hard on and off most of today but is clearing now.

We’ll see 😃
It’ll be 4 weeks this Sunday since I planted. I replaced my cucumber plants after 2 weeks because they got all pale green and weren’t growing. 
Everything looks pretty good now and growing. My cucumbers will be climbing shortly, they’re already starting to latch on to the strings on my teepees.

Cut spring mix for salads twice this week 😃

Ended up adding a few broccoli and Brussels sprouts plants since my last post 

Flush with tomatoes, cubanelles, green peppers, red peppers, serranos, burritos, mad hatters, and shi####os.  Datil's and aji's starting to bloom.  Pineapples growing nicely.  Harvested the sweet onions today and have them drying. Disappointing in size but I got them in super late for us. Red Russian kale still producing despite the higher temps. Green beans producing at my auxiliary garden and just planted some okra starts today since my seeds didn't germinate.

How you making out boys?

My baby lettuce mix and red leaf lettuce are out of control. 
Started picking cukes, yellow squash and zucchini this week. Big pan of zoodles tonight.

😃
Mixed bag for me and my temporary (this year) small container garden.  Cherry tomatoes have been insane, we literally can’t keep up with eating enough and not have a bunch left over. There also super good.  My early girl standard tomatoes have been growing and producing well but aren’t very good.  Skin is to thick and flavor is blah.  Cukes round one were a failure, super bitter.  I pulled them all and started again. 

Mixed bag for me and my temporary (this year) small container garden.  Cherry tomatoes have been insane, we literally can’t keep up with eating enough and not have a bunch left over. There also super good.  My early girl standard tomatoes have been growing and producing well but aren’t very good.  Skin is to thick and flavor is blah.  Cukes round one were a failure, super bitter.  I pulled them all and started again. 
Hmmm, idk anything about container gardening but tasteless tomato usually is from too much water I think 

I have an Everglades Tomato plant that is just going crazy. I've been 1/4  pound almost every other day. 

I finally grew my first edible cuke. Ever!  And the plant is looking good to produce more. 

My Watermelon looks good, but my cantaloupe is struggling. 

I lost my spaghetti squash to vine borers. 

East coaster -We have a few cherry tomatoes and zucchini but still kinda early for us. 

The wife did everything from seeds. We have 48 tomato plants alone. :eek:  

I told her we need to make a honor box and fruit/veggie stand. Maybe put a VR code for people to pay. 

She thinks she’s just going to give them away at work and local friends. I told her we’re going to be swimming in tomatoes .

Last edited by a moderator:
East coaster -We have a few cherry tomatoes and zucchini but still kinda early for us. 

The wife did everything from seeds. We have 48 tomato plants alone. :eek:  

I told her we need to make a honor box and fruit/veggie stand. Maybe put a VR code for people to pay. 

She thinks she’s just going to give them away at work and local friends. I told her we’re going to be swimming in tomatoes .
East coaster myself

That’s cool, Ive been starting tomatoes and peppers from seed the last few years. 

48 ?  

Holy moly :lmao:

Herbs are off the hook, and the cherry tomatoes are producing and tasty. We did cucumbers for the first time ever and the plants are growing like mad, but no cucs yet. Not sure what we're doing, though, as the leaves are everywhere. We have them growing up cages but aren't you supposed to trim them or pinch off leaves or something?

Herbs are off the hook, and the cherry tomatoes are producing and tasty. We did cucumbers for the first time ever and the plants are growing like mad, but no cucs yet. Not sure what we're doing, though, as the leaves are everywhere. We have them growing up cages but aren't you supposed to trim them or pinch off leaves or something?
You can pinch off the blooms nearer the bottom - helps the plants get stronger towards the top. I've been too lazy to do it this year, so my plants are not as robust at the top as they could be. But, they are healthy and blooming like crazy. 

Cukes don't self-pollinate. Some of the blossoms are male and some are female. You should see bees messing around with the blooms. They will spread the love from one to the other and you'll eventually get baby cucumbers. Depending on where you are and your climate, you should see fruit in 2-3 months from saplings.

I was 3 weeks later than usual getting mine in, so I may not have anything bear until late July or early August.

I don’t pinch cukes 

I pinch off the small ones on the ground, primarily because IMO the ones off the ground taste better. 

Was away all last week and we didn’t get a drop of rain. My cukes were producing like crazy but I believe I’m going to lose them. 

Lettuce, zucchini, yellow squash and spaghetti squash are doing well. Sunflowers too.

Peppers are coming on great. Tomato plants are the tallest I’ve ever had, almost 6 ft. 

We need rain , been in the 90s for days 

Here is the wife’s garden. We’re only in season 3 so it’s a work in progress.

Weve got producing zucchini, carrots, cherry tomatoes, peppers, watermelon and about a week away from tomatoes. Pumpkins are forming. 

We may have underestimated the amount of space we need for the watermelons and pumpkins. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We just got our first ever cuke, and it was full sized and fantastic. That's the only one we've seen, though - the others that we thought were forming all disappeared. I feel like we have way too many leaves & flowers and nothing else. The herbs are ridiculous and we have to trim them every few weeks and find someone else to give the new trimmings to. The peppers are starting to come in and we've already harvested a few for our dinners. There's something pretty sweet about going out to the garden to get some ingredients for your dinner, I don't think I'll ever stop getting a kick out of that.

Been a rough (worst ever) year for my gardening. Part of it (all of it?) could be my temporary switch to containers but just no luck. First round of cukes plants were all super bitter, round 2 the plants look amazing but have been over run with aphids that I can’t get rid of.  Tomatoes sucked (except the cherrys where we’re fantastic as always). Tried for round two and the heat is crushing them. No amount of water seems to help.  I’m basically done for the year at the point. Super bummed. 

Been a rough (worst ever) year for my gardening. Part of it (all of it?) could be my temporary switch to containers but just no luck. First round of cukes plants were all super bitter, round 2 the plants look amazing but have been over run with aphids that I can’t get rid of.  Tomatoes sucked (except the cherrys where we’re fantastic as always). Tried for round two and the heat is crushing them. No amount of water seems to help.  I’m basically done for the year at the point. Super bummed. 
sorry bud. That sucks

You’re in Cali aren’t you? Start over..

Threw my broccoli plants in the woods this morning, plants were great but been too hot apparently. The broccoli got yellow

My baby greens bolted. Planted more this morning along with a pack of arugula 

Cucmbers didn’t survive my vacation with no rain. Going to try to replant seeds and see what happens 

A few of my tomato plants have blossom end rot, sprayed this week and will again in a week. This stuff works like magic if anyone else has this problem buy this -

https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Ag-Blossom-End-Tomatoes-Ounce/dp/B00UYSGBUG/ref=asc_df_B00UYSGBUG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167123712426&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12661694973386127270&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9006811&hvtargid=pla-306061450725&psc=1

Picked my first handful of cherry tomatoes today 

Picked and ate some hot Hungarian peppers and Marconi frying peppers 

Tired of eating zucchini lol

My tomatoes are really starting to come on heavy - especially Polish Linguisa and Viva Italia.  Cherokee Purple isn't quite such a heavy producer but they're SO tasty.  I put in a soaker hose and gave it 30 minutes every couple days during dry spells and I think it really helped.

Been trying to pick zucchini a little smaller but have had a couple go from "to small" to "holy ####" in like 2 days so I still have some lower-leg-size beasts.

How do you guys deal with birds?

Theres a tiny bunny that I havent had the heart to kill.
I relocate the bunnies , pocket mice, and ground squirrels to the rainbow bridge. Birds are a tough one. I have tried various scare tactics, I am unsure if they work.

Blossom end rot crisis averted!

This is my best year for tomatoes in a long long time. I grew 4 different varieties, I’ll report my results another time. Really happy finally lol

Really nice peppers, and alot of them. Jalapeno, hot Hungarian, orange bell and poblanos. For whatever reason my red bell are just not doing much and the Marconis which were great last year are a little disappointing.

Planted cucumber from seed a few weeks ago, they are about 6” tall..we’ll see. Acorn squash seeds did not sprout. Will try again . Also have mixed baby lettuce seeds starting to pop up

It’s been super dry here this summer. Have had to water so much I’m a little worried about my well 😬

Any if you guys planting anything for a late season harvest?

This is my best year for tomatoes in a long long time. I grew 4 different varieties, I’ll report my results another time. Really happy finally lol

Really nice peppers, and alot of them. Jalapeno, hot Hungarian, orange bell and poblanos. For whatever reason my red bell are just not doing much and the Marconis which were great last year are a little disappointing.

Planted cucumber from seed a few weeks ago, they are about 6” tall..we’ll see. Acorn squash seeds did not sprout. Will try again . Also have mixed baby lettuce seeds starting to pop up

It’s been super dry here this summer. Have had to water so much I’m a little worried about my well 😬

Nice work on avoiding the rot and thanks product info!

Congrats on your harvesting, that’s awesome. My year was a complete failure. Guess it was a foreshadowing of my Padres year too….😭🤬

Congrats on your harvesting, that’s awesome. My year was a complete failure. Guess it was a foreshadowing of my Padres year too….😭🤬
Don’t give up, plant more!

And you can’t give up on the Dream Team* !!!

:oldunsure:

Don’t give up, plant more!

And you can’t give up on the Dream Team* !!!

:oldunsure:
I certainly live in an area I could but I’m punting on this year. We bought a new home this year and I need to build a garden. Did pots this year and clearly don’t know how to do that well. I’m going to build a big garden during the winter for next year.

As a life long Padre fan hope IS the problem. Every time I get some it gets squashed. I feel like Red from Shawshank. Lol.

I have recently planted yellow squash, zuchinni, beans, peas, arugula, and some Tohon O'odham l'itoi onions. It has been very hot here and we have been getting the monsoon rains. My thought process was to get stuff growing and hopefully have something to show for it in the fall. I am in the southwest so temps should be good into December/January. Even if the temps drop the onions and arugula should be fine. I also have some chiltipene seed that I hope to start indoors this weekend. I got the seed from a Native Seeds /SEARCH. These seeds are native to the southwest. I guess they have been kept "pure" for 100s of years. No crossbreeding allowed. My arugula was from the same organization. The arugula from Italy was brought to Tucson in the 20's by an italian family.
I like the historical aspect as well as trying to preserve a culture by using these seeds.

Reminder that I do all the building and soil and the wife take sit over from there but…

We have tons of tomatoes
Cucumbers didn’t do so well
Watermelon and pumpkins are still growing.

I learned this today from our neighbor- you only get one ear of corn from each stalk?!?!? I never would have guessed that, I would have said 3-4 on each. :shrug:

Late stuff-
Planted carrots, radishes, this weekend- Collard greens, Lettuce, cabbage, broccoli.

Reminder that I do all the building and soil and the wife take sit over from there but…

We have tons of tomatoes
Cucumbers didn’t do so well
Watermelon and pumpkins are still growing.

I learned this today from our neighbor- you only get one ear of corn from each stalk?!?!? I never would have guessed that, I would have said 3-4 on each. :shrug:

Late stuff-
Planted carrots, radishes, this weekend- Collard greens, Lettuce, cabbage, broccoli.
Huh, I thought it was 2 ears per stalk. I never grew it

My tomatoes and peppers have slowed down so I’m yanking them this weekend and planting lettuce, beets, Brussels, broccoli and cauliflower.

Check out the picture.
I want some.
-------------------
Lakota Man
@LakotaMan1

Pre-colonization Glass Gem Corn, Indigenous to North America, regrown by a Cherokee farmer in Oklahoma. This particular corn is a mix of ancient Pawnee, Osage and Cherokee varieties.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PICTURE

Seeds to order
Bred from a number of Native varieties by Carl “White Eagle” Barnes, the famous Cherokee corn collector to whom we owe our gratitude for his life’s work of collecting, preserving, and sharing so many Native corn varieties.
  • 105 Days
  • Full Sun
  • Sprouts in 7-10 Days
  • Seed Depth: 1-2"
  • Ideal Temperature: 75-80 F
  • Plant Spacing: 12"
  • Plant Height: 4-5'
  • Frost Hardy: No
  • Zea mays
Growing Tips: Direct sow into the richest soil available 1-2 weeks before last spring frost. Succession planting prolongs harvest; planting in blocks improves pollination.
$5.00
Availability: In Stock
=================
https://twitter.com/twistedmic24
Dark Boudicca

It’s not for eating off the cob. It’s for popcorn and for grinding into cornmeal.
It can be eaten but it’s not a sweet corn variety. Usually used for flour

Last edited:
Check out the picture.
I want some.
-------------------
Lakota Man
@LakotaMan1

Pre-colonization Glass Gem Corn, Indigenous to North America, regrown by a Cherokee farmer in Oklahoma. This particular corn is a mix of ancient Pawnee, Osage and Cherokee varieties.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PICTURE

Seeds to order
Bred from a number of Native varieties by Carl “White Eagle” Barnes, the famous Cherokee corn collector to whom we owe our gratitude for his life’s work of collecting, preserving, and sharing so many Native corn varieties.
  • 105 Days
  • Full Sun
  • Sprouts in 7-10 Days
  • Seed Depth: 1-2"
  • Ideal Temperature: 75-80 F
  • Plant Spacing: 12"
  • Plant Height: 4-5'
  • Frost Hardy: No
  • Zea mays
Growing Tips: Direct sow into the richest soil available 1-2 weeks before last spring frost. Succession planting prolongs harvest; planting in blocks improves pollination.
$5.00
Availability: In Stock
=================
https://twitter.com/twistedmic24
Dark Boudicca

It’s not for eating off the cob. It’s for popcorn and for grinding into cornmeal.
It can be eaten but it’s not a sweet corn variety. Usually used for flour
If you told me that was jellybeans glued to a corncob I’d totally believe it

This was my worst year for tomatoes in NorCal in forever. Got my starts going a bit on the late side and then ended up having to delay them a bit with some late frosts so they got a bit potbound in waiting. Went from late frosts to summer heat in no time and nothing but my cherry varieties really took off. Most of my hot peppers have done fine and my cucumbers did great (Armenian and Chinese Jade), center-cut squash did great, tomatillos did great. Basil bolted while I was gone for a week so didn't get to enjoy much pesto. Did get some bonus taters that volunteered in a bed where I apparently missed a bunch of them, which was nice.

2023 bump

Got most of seeds delivered this week. Trying some new varieties this year of squash, zucchini, tomatoes and peppers.

If anyone here is looking for new tomato to try I highly recommend Burpees Supersteak. I grew these last year for the first time and they were awesome. Really big, the biggest I’ve ever grown easily and delicious tomato flavor.

Any of you Florida peeps harvesting stuff already?

@Ron Swanson

After moving last year I left my built above ground garden and had to pot garden (no not that pot) at the new house. It was basically a disaster. So this week I’m starting my build of my new garden. Should get it all done in time for a mid-March planting 🤞. Will post some pics when it’s all done.

After moving last year I left my built above ground garden and had to pot garden (no not that pot) at the new house. It was basically a disaster. So this week I’m starting my build of my new garden. Should get it all done in time for a mid-March planting 🤞. Will post some pics when it’s all done.
I build garden beds using 4x4 posts similar to these. Super easy and a good way to level things out on a slope. You can sit on them while you garden. Not very expensive.

I build garden beds using 4x4 posts similar to these. Super easy and a good way to level things out on a slope. You can sit on them while you garden. Not very expensive.
Thx. I built my last ones and used 4x’s as corner posts with pressure treated cedar 1x8’s running between them. Worked great. Yours look good too. Was also thinking of doing corrugated, metal sheets, like roof flashing. Saw this done and looked killer. So many choice…..

2023 bump

Got most of seeds delivered this week. Trying some new varieties this year of squash, zucchini, tomatoes and peppers.

If anyone here is looking for new tomato to try I highly recommend Burpees Supersteak. I grew these last year for the first time and they were awesome. Really big, the biggest I’ve ever grown easily and delicious tomato flavor.

Any of you Florida peeps harvesting stuff already?

@Ron Swanson
Not yet. In fact, I've been lazy on seeding anything new this year so just have 3-4 volunteer tomato plants and some exotic peppers leftover from last year. I do have some red russian kale and onions that will be ready soon. And I have a new Glenn Mango and two Hass Avocado trees to get in the ground next weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread