What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG NFL MOCK DRAFT BY THE NUMBERS (PICKS) (1 Viewer)

2.31 - Philadelphia Eagles select

DB Vincent Fuller

College: Virginia Tech Height: 6-11/8

Position: Cornerback Weight: 189

Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.45

Projected moving to safety to be groomed to replace Brian Dawkins in 2-3 years...

Strengths: Excellent size / speed ratio...Very good athlete...Physical and tough...Good strength...Not afraid to come up and support the run...A playmaker in the secondary...Very versatile and could project to safety.

Weaknesses: Has bounced back and forth between safety and corner during his career so he doesn't have a lot of experience at either position...Struggles when forced to play man...Has the speed to recover from miscues at the college level but that won't work in the pros.

Notes: Should be a workout warrior and has a chance to really move up as the draft approaches...Intriguing prospect because of his ideal measurables.

The Pats select:

Robert McCune ILB LOU

Inside Linebacker

Louisville

Senior

6'1 | 245 | 4.60*

HOME TOWN: Mobile, AL

HIGH SCHOOL: LeFlore

*unofficial 40 time, AP Photo

QUICK STRENGTHS: strength, speed, awareness

QUICK WEAKNESSES: height, shedding blocks

NFL COMPARISONS: Explosive upfield guy with speed and great strength, similar to KC's Kendrell Bell.

Last edited by a moderator:
SF selects DE Chris Canty, University of Virginia

This is a guy I was tempted to take at 2.01, so this value pick evens out the "reach" at that spot.

Canty is an ideal fit as a 3-4 end. Right now SF has undersized Engleberger and possibly Andre Carter on one side, and old ex-All-Pro DT Bryant Young at another. Not exactly ideal.

Strengths: Great size with a big frame and long arms...Quick and agile...Good athletic ability...Strong...Plays the run well...Decent pass rusher despite limited opportunities...Still has some upside.

Weaknesses: Has dealt with a lot of injuries so durability is a major concern...Wasn't able to showcase himself in the Cavs 3-4 defensive scheme...Lacks top speed and burst.

Notes: Status is up in the air after suffering a knee injury that ended his senior season...Workouts and medical tests leading up to the draft will be key...Could turn out to be a better pro than college player if he lands in the right scheme.

The rams took care of their need for an OT in round one and Demarcus Ware dropped too far so they took him as a RDE in round 2. I see the Rams biggest need as CB at this point. their starters wouldn't scare anyone.So the best CB left IMO is Eric Green,CB from Virginia Tech. I see Green taking over as the nickel right away and by the end of the season being the #2 CB for them.Unfortunately that would mean he didn't fall to the Vikes in the 3rd as I would have liked him there.

The Cleveland Browns select, with their 3rd Round, 67th Overall Draft Selection:

DE-James Davis-Virginia Tech

The Tennessee Titans select : OT Wesley Britt , Alabama

There were some better value players at other positions but the Titans have to get some youth at tackle and Britt has some great potential.

Oakland's position hasn't been filled so here is a suggestion. Oakland's offense is set at almost every position but their defense was horrid last year and got worse during the offseason. If they trade Woodsen they could use a CB but they have NA, a former 1st rounder, as their nickelback. The DL seems alright but the LB crew is very bad minus ILB D Clark. They already selected Daryl Blackstock to man one OLB position in the 2nd nut their need is great. So the best LB available would be my pick. OLB Rian Wallace from temple, OLB Michael Boley from Couthern Miss or ILB Kirk Morrison from SD State are the best available IMO.Out of those players I think Kirk Morrison would be able to contribute the fastest.

The Detroit Lions select OT Chris Colmer

Colmer will immediately compete for a starting position at right tackle with Kelly Butler (7th round, 2003) and Victor Rogers (6th round, 2001). To the general public it appears that the Lions knew they'd lose Stockar McDougle to free agency this year as they really didn't make any attempts to keep him. Frustrating perhaps was their lack of vision to get either Butler or Rogers extended playing time in 2003.

With Butler and Rogers holding down the position on paper at this point the Lions attempt to add some youth and talent to bolster what might be their biggest weakness at this point in the off-season. Alex Barron will be difficult to pass in the 1st round, but they might be better served if they can find a team who wants their pick, move down and still get Jammal Brown and a pick or two.

Colmer protected the blind side for Philip Rivers and he could win the starting job on the right side if Butler or Rogers aren't up for the job.

The Lions could easily go QB, CB or FS here as well judging by the remaining talent on the board -- it was a tough call, but Colmer gets the nod.

Colmer will immediately compete for a starting position at right tackle with Kelly Butler (7th round, 2003) and Victor Rogers (6th round, 2001). To the general public it appears that the Lions knew they'd lose Stockar McDougle to free agency this year as they really didn't make any attempts to keep him. Frustrating perhaps was their lack of vision to get either Butler or Rogers extended playing time in 2003.

With Butler and Rogers holding down the position on paper at this point the Lions attempt to add some youth and talent to bolster what might be their biggest weakness at this point in the off-season. Alex Barron will be difficult to pass in the 1st round, but they might be better served if they can find a team who wants their pick, move down and still get Jammal Brown and a pick or two.

Colmer protected the blind side for Philip Rivers and he could win the starting job on the right side if Butler or Rogers aren't up for the job.

The Lions could easily go QB, CB or FS here as well judging by the remaining talent on the board -- it was a tough call, but Colmer gets the nod.
Is Butler projected to be a starter for Detroit this year?

At this point in time it's Butler/Rogers vying for the starting spot. I fully expect the Lions to draft a tackle in the first few rounds along with perhaps a DE and TE or QB. The Lions have filled most of their pressing needs in FA, but RT remains an eye sore unless Butler proves to be under-rated and up to the task. Nobody knows at this point. I liked Butler coming out of college, but he didn't play a down last year and neither did Rogers, so outside of the Lions locker room they are both relative unknowns and it's hard to predict if either one would be serviceable or not.

At this point in time it's Butler/Rogers vying for the starting spot. I fully expect the Lions to draft a tackle in the first few rounds along with perhaps a DE and TE or QB. The Lions have filled most of their pressing needs in FA, but RT remains an eye sore unless Butler proves to be under-rated and up to the task. Nobody knows at this point. I liked Butler coming out of college, but he didn't play a down last year and neither did Rogers, so outside of the Lions locker room they are both relative unknowns and it's hard to predict if either one would be serviceable or not.
I think Butler has a lot of potential and honestly might have been one of the best value picks in the draft last year when he fell to the 6th round. I firmly believe if he hadn't been arrested 2x in the 2 weeks leading up to the draft he would have been a 3rd round pick with a chance of moving up into the 2nd.

The texans select Michael Munoz OT tennessee

Athletic enough OT with good blood lines and bad history of injury. He has sound technique. Has the ability to play both LT and RT and should be able to step in as the Texans swing tackle (3rd). If he stays healthy lives ups to some portion of his name he should provide a challenge to Seth Wand in the next year or two.

The New York Giants select:

Eric Shelton - RB - Louisville

Now that tub of goo Ron Dayne is gone to be the 5th-string RB with the Broncos, The Giants need a top backup and change of pace to Tiki Barber. Shelton is a very big (6'2", 246 lbs.) back with good speed for a guy his size. And much to the chagrin of fantasy owners everywhere, he could see some goal-line duty.

The Cards lost Duane Starks to the Pats for an extra 3d rounder. To my knowledge they haven't gotten a replacement for him yet. In the conference opposite Mike Martz, this is a necessity.The highest ranked CB left is Stanley Wilson CB Stanford.

3.13 - Philadelphia Eagles

ILB - Lance Mitchell

BPA pick here - very nice ceiling, good value in the 3rd round.

Provides solid Insurance if Trotter goes down, and to possibly replace in a few years, now that Trotter is locked up long term.

Pros: Very talented, makes big hits, rarely fails to being down his man. Productive in a strong defensive unit.

Cons: Torn ACL in 2003, and may not be completely recovered from it yet.

Houston Texans select Atiyyah Ellison DL Missouri

In the real draft, I am doubting that the Texans will draft two players this close together. Unless i missed them there was no clear BPA at either pick so my attention turned to looking at players for both lines. I consider another OLman here, but descided that the Texans need to develop a young DLman nearly as much as in the OL so Ellison was the pick. He is big strong guy who best asset is his intensity. Technique could use some improvemtn, but this a guy with good athletic ability and some experience playing NG.

The Panthers select: Ben Wilkerson C LSUThree positions needed here: C, DT and FS. Wanted Ellison, but Houston stole him right before this pick. I don't like the next guy on my list at DT. I like the FS that is available here, but that need is not as big as the need at C/G, especially if there are reprecussions for Mitchell for the steroid issue. Wilkerson is a super talent who has some injury issues. He also needs to get stronger, so let's hope he doesn't start visiting a South Carolina doctor. :unsure: Also considered Jason Brown here as a safer C pick, and a Tarheel, but went with the talent of Wilkerson.

With the great free agency and solid drafting so far the Vikings have very few needs left. The Vikings could really use a DT to back up both Williams but Spencer Johnson and Steve Martin will have to do. In this senario the vikings would draft a DT to challenge in round 5 or 6.

The Vikes will likely lose Brian Russell to Cleveland. A backup safety could be added or a youngster could step up. If this draft were longer I would target Sean Considene-FS Iowa in the fourth round.

A CB to take over nickel duties for Brian Williams should he leave next year is a factor but I don't like anyone left.

On offense the Vikes want David Dixon to be a backup. Nat Dorsey showed nothing last year so adding a 3rd round OG that would start makes sense. The ratings are all over but one player has only negatives because he plays to aggressively.

The Vikings select with their 3rd round pick in the 2005 draft

Chris Kemoeatu OG Utah

K is a dominant run blocker that never stops until the whistle. Sometimes he goes past it as he has been suspended for kicking opposition players in the face multile times.

St Louis Rams select Donte Nicholson, S Oklahoma

6'1 212

Great size...Good athlete...Very physical, tough and aggressive...An intimidating presence...Great tackler...A force against the run...A playmaker.

New Orleans here....I was thinking at addressing the RB situation with this pick but the FA signing of Smith really solidified the backfield in the short term. A lot of the other offensive skill positions - namely, TE and WR - have been really thinned out value-wise. Defensively, the front four are stout and productive. The LB corp is improving and the backfield will be much improved with D Smith and MacKenzie able to lead and Thomas Davis easing into the starter's role. Barring injuries, this will be a good defense by late October...So what's left? The O-line. We've got talent with Bentley, Mayberry and Gandy. I'm not really comfortable with Jon Stinchcomb or Folau there at OT and want some options. So, with that in mind, we're taking...David Stewart, OT Mississippi State.Played ROT 37 consecutive starts. Big load at 6'6 and 315 lbs. Hard worker who can develop. Serviceable in run and passing. He doesn't have to start, so he can develop, but certainly has the experience to anchor the end if need be. Local guy too.NFL.com said this and I really liked it:"As a senior, he earned All-Southeastern Conference honors and was given the team's Bulldog Award, an honor given to the player who displayed the greatest work ethic, leadership ability and character. Stewart graded a career-high 84.8 percent as a senior and also totaled 69 knockdowns. In his last 35 games, Stewart recorded 218 knockdowns and had 25 touchdown-resulting blocks. "

Cincinnati - Richie Ingonito, C, Nobody

He has NFL strength and speed, and the mean streak you look for in a lineman. He also has that mean streak off the field, which could be a problem. He was kicked off two teams and decided to enter the draft early. He is one of the better run blockers in this draft, needs to work on pass blocking though. He had one of the best combine performances of the linemen this year. His 4.91 - 40 and 1.70 - 10 were the best. He also did 27 reps. He hurt his knee at the end of the combine but it doesn't look too serious. Marvin can turn this kid around.

The Baltimore Ravens select:C.J. Mosley, DT, MissouriWith an impending switch to the 4-3 alignment, the Ravens are in need of a big tackle in the middle of the DL. They tried unsucessfully to snag Corey Simon from the Eagles, so I felt compelled to address the position with this pick. Mosley will be 22 years old at the beginning of the season and at 6'3-305, he should be able to pack on a few more pounds by then. The Ravens should be comfortable bringing an underclassman into their defense with the wealth of veteran leadership on that side of the ball, and at DT the underrated Kelly Gregg can provide plenty of personal tutelage to the young baller.

The Baltimore Ravens select:

C.J. Mosley, DT, Missouri

With an impending switch to the 4-3 alignment, the Ravens are in need of a big tackle in the middle of the DL.  They tried unsucessfully to snag Corey Simon from the Eagles, so I felt compelled to address the position with this pick.  Mosley will be 22 years old at the beginning of the season and at 6'3-305, he should be able to pack on a few more pounds by then.  The Ravens should be comfortable bringing an underclassman into their defense with the wealth of veteran leadership on that side of the ball, and at DT the underrated Kelly Gregg can provide plenty of personal tutelage to the young baller.
FYI - I took CJ in round 2 (yeah a little early) - Especially now that the Jets re-signed Josh Evans and Legree.... Pick again...

I PM'd Vallhallan

Oops.. I did a ctrl+F on the front page for "Mosley" and got nothing. Maybe this is why:

25 57 N.Y. Jets DT CJ MOSELY
Learn to spell nighty!!Anyway, the Ravens will take another DT, Jason Jefferson, Wisconsin.

Hey, is someone assigning draft "grades" for the owners/gm's that have done this mock?i'd be interested to see how other people viewed my and other people's selections for the draft. thoughts on a final grade?

Buffalo Bills select:

Rian Wallace, LB, Temple

Apart from Angelo Crowell, the Bills lack quality depth at the LB position. Wallace has been a dominant player on a bad Temple team, and his versatility should allow him to be an ideal backup. He has good size, speed, and strength and could fill in at any LB position while also contributing on special teams. The Bills had other needs but I believe they can be filled with picks in the next couple rounds.

At the beginning of this mock it was posted:One thing: try to be as accurate and true to what you believe your teams should and would do. Example: If you believe the Browns really will pick DE with the first pick, do it and let us know why.With this in mind, the Jax Jags select:Courtney Roby Indiana, WRThere are a few players on the board I'd rather take here but I've heard his name mentioned way too many times by people that seem to be in the know with the Jags. From what I've heard a very big name would have to fall for them to not take Roby here. He is a good prospect for a third a rounder to be sure. Great speed(4.36), had a very good Senior Bowl week, and likely would have gone much higher if not for an injury his junior year.

And the NY Jets Select:

OT RAY "Watchu Talkin' About" WILLIS

There hasn't been pure OT picked since our last pick that I had rated over this guy.... Jets have a definite need at OT with the loss of Mckenzie - We hoped for an OT on round 1 but, went with the TE... Seeing how the draft plays out and the Jets re-signed Evans I'd probably go Eric Green in Round 2 and hope to grab Willis with this pick here.

BONUS: NO Timeouts - Total Time on the Clock 23 minutes 3 seconds.

The Green Bay Packers select...

QB Adrian McPherson

Having met the most major of the needs at LB, S and DE and getting TREMENDOUS value out of 2 of those picks, the packers can go for the "heir apparent" thing here. I expect Favre to play 1 - 3 years. That makes a QB pick here perfect. A developmental QB is not one that needs to be taken in round 1 or 2. I think this is perfects spot to get someone and Adrian McPherson is the guy. Strong arm, fast, doesn't throw a lot of int's. McPherson will need a good deal of time to learn and develop, which makes it a perfect place for him to be. At the VERY least one year to just sit and develop, likely more. He has probably the most potential in the entire draft.

To be quite honest, I think the Packers with this decision would probably go with QB Orton. But, I just think this is a good value and a perfect scenario for McPherson to thrive in. Give him 2 years of development, he has the potential to grow into an incredible weapon for the Packers when the legend hangs them up.

Looking back at the packers draft in this, I see 2 bigtime value picks at areas of great need with Erasmus James and Odell Thurman. A good value pick with heaploads of potential in the third and a solid, if not spectacular Free Safety type to fill a gigantic need with the first of the two seconds.

A very successful first day of the draft!

Users who are viewing this thread