What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG NFL MOCK DRAFT BY THE NUMBERS (PICKS) (1 Viewer)

The Minnesota Vikings at pick #18 selected Mark Clayton from Oklahoma. As a Vikings fan I wouldn't be thrilled with Derrick Johnson and Mark Clayton in the 1st but I would be satisfied.The Vikings have very few needs, after all world WLB Derrick Johnson was selected at #7. A kicker, a OG for now or maybe the future, possibly a DE, DT depth, and one serious need. WR. I proxied my top three and there was Clayton and then 2 DE's behind him. Mark Clayton will never be Randy Moss or TO. At 5'10 3/4" he isn't a dominant red zone WR. What he is, is a great route runner that has deep threat speed. He scored 36 TDs at Oky and reminds me a lot of Marvin Harrison. In all mocks he goes later than this but he has run a consistent 4.40 and shows great hands. In the real draft I think he goes no futher than Baltimore. I am trying to draft as Minnesota would and not as I think they should. I would be happier if Mike Williams was there at #7. Clayton will be looked as a 1b his rookie year behind Burleson. Robinson will be the red zone threat and I fully expect Travis Taylor to pass MR to be the full time #3 WR. With Kleinsasser and J Wiggins I see DBs spread thin and Clayton having a good rookie year. 65 catches 1050 yards 6 TDs. With better results in the future. Skol.

The Minnesota Vikings at pick #18 selected Mark Clayton from Oklahoma. As a Vikings fan I wouldn't be thrilled with Derrick Johnson and Mark Clayton in the 1st but I would be satisfied.

The Vikings have very few needs, after all world WLB Derrick Johnson was selected at #7. A kicker, a OG for now or maybe the future, possibly a DE, DT depth, and one serious need. WR. I proxied my top three and there was Clayton and then 2 DE's behind him.

Mark Clayton will never be Randy Moss or TO. At 5'10 3/4" he isn't a dominant red zone WR. What he is, is a great route runner that has deep threat speed. He scored 36 TDs at Oky and reminds me a lot of Marvin Harrison. In all mocks he goes later than this but he has run a consistent 4.40 and shows great hands. In the real draft I think he goes no futher than Baltimore. I am trying to draft as Minnesota would and not as I think they should. I would be happier if Mike Williams was there at #7.

Clayton will be looked as a 1b his rookie year behind Burleson. Robinson will be the red zone threat and I fully expect Travis Taylor to pass MR to be the full time #3 WR. With Kleinsasser and J Wiggins I see DBs spread thin and Clayton having a good rookie year. 65 catches 1050 yards 6 TDs. With better results in the future. Skol.
Mark Clayton will be the best WR out of this class. He does everything well and is better in all aspects with the exception of hands which I will give to Williams. His size holds him back and it shouldn't at all because of the renewed emphasis on the 5 yard contact rule.

I was hoping I'd hear some news about the C. Brown visit to Jax before this pick but no luck.

Most reports have the Jags looking at CB, DE, first and looking for value at LB, TE, WR, RB and anywhere on the O-line especially a potential RT. If they trade Garrad or Darius before or during the draft QB and safety are also options. That's a lot of positions but CB is the most pressing.

Expect them to shop Darius and Garrad for picks most of the first day. Also, the Jags have around 13m in cap space and would get 5m more if they unload Darius, so they might well make some moves before the draft(signing Stroud might be the best use of some of that money.)

James Harris claims to be a BPA guy but the Reggie Williams pick last season might call that into question. Carlos Rogers was the guy I hoped fell. Fabian Washington and Corey Webster are the next 2 CBs on my board and both grade out about the same, but also both grade out as slight reaches. Justin Tuck, Heath Miller and Khalif Barnes are also appealing picks here. My BPA is Shaun Cody, a DT/DE tweener.

The Jacksonville Jaguars shock the NFL and upset their fans by using the 21st pick on:

Shaun Cody

I'm a big believer in BPA and the Jags claim to follow that draft theroy. I have Cody rated 16th overall. Cody's value to the Jaguars is three fold. First he could work in the tackle rotation to keep the monsters fresh. Secondly is he could well work out as a DE in the NFL. He lacks the burst you'd like for a pure pass rushing end but has all the other tools in spades. Thirdly, Stroud's contract is up after this season and Henderson's after next. They will both be looking for HUGE contracts. Having Cody provides some coverage if they are not able to sign one of them.

The Ravens are on the clock.

Well we were really looking for a WR or DT at this pick, but our targets were snatched up. I think if the draft played out this way in real life, the Ravens might consider trading down. However since that's not an option, I will take:Khalif Barnes, OT, WashingtonOrlando Brown doesn't have much left in the tank, so it's time to think about the future. Khalif is an athletic tackle that can play either right or left tackle. It may be in the team's best interest to move the larger Jonathan Ogden to the right side and let Barnes protect Boller on the left. Either way, this pick should solidify a tackle spot for years to come.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pick valhallen.Also Wadsworth, I don't think that that pick would shock and upset the Jags fans. It is a good one. Cody is a talent and would improve a great unit. Stroud is almost a 100% lock to resign. They are already in talks now. Good pick.

Nice pick valhallen.

Also Wadsworth, I don't think that that pick would shock and upset the Jags fans. It is a good one. Cody is a talent and would improve a great unit. Stroud is almost a 100% lock to resign. They are already in talks now. Good pick.
The local Jags fans would have a hard time with it I'd bet. Paul Spicer is oddly popular in Jacksonville. He's a blue collar type guy that has had to work hard for his success in the NFL. The fans have really rallied around him. Also Bobby McCray is a Gator who looked good at times last season. The home town loves them Gators. With the signing of Howard, the two monster tackles and Spicer/Meier/Mcray, most of the locals think the D line is set. They might buy a later round DE but they feel RW last season was a bust in the first round and might think Cody was a second straight wasted pick. I'm also betting they'd change their minds after they saw him play.I'd also be shocked if they didn't sign Stroud. And the cap seems in good enough shape now to sign Henderson as well. But if Henderson continues to improve the Jags might be looking at having the 2 highest paid tackles in the league. Having Cody around might be valuable if they decide the Henderson money is better spent elsewhere.

The Minnesota Vikings at pick #18 selected Mark Clayton from Oklahoma. As a Vikings fan I wouldn't be thrilled with Derrick Johnson and Mark Clayton in the 1st but I would be satisfied.
I'd be thrilled if I was a Vikes fan. Derrick Johnson has as high a ceiling as any player in the draft. I'd be very surprised if he makes it to the Vikings in the real draft. Clayton might not be as flashy as some of the WRs but he has all the tools to be a long time starter and producer.

As a die hard Vikings fan, I love the way RustyFA picked this 1st round. Derrick Johnson is not the "sexy" pick but I really feel he is the best player in this draft. I would be ecstatic to get him. Yeah we have used alot of picks on LB's but to get a Blue Chip prospect like Johnson is huge. Then to come back with Clayton at the #18 is perfect. It looks to me that the Vikings are buying into the way the Patriots do business. Great defense with lots of quality backups and an offense that centers around a star QB with a good O-line that has role playing WR's and not just one big star WR. Burleson, Mrob, Taylor, and Clayton may not look very impressive on paper but if you take a little deeper look they remind me alot of Branch, Givens, Patten, and Troy Brown. No stars just a group that knows their roles and play together. I won't say who I would pick with the 2nd and 3rd round pick as I want to see if Rusty and I are on the same page. Based on this draft I have 3 players targeted in round 2 and 3 players targeted in round 3. If Rusty nabs 2 out of these 6 players I have targeted this would be my dream draft.

With the 24th selection, the Green Bay Packers pick...

Erasmus James, DE, Wisconsin

While there might be more pressing needs for the Packers, the value here is just way too good to pass on. James is a prototypical DE that, despite being possibly a tad undersized, should fit perfectly in the Jim Bates' scheme. He's long, fast and was an absolute terror for the Badgers when healthy. Probably one of the best pass rushers in the draft, it should help a woeful pass defense that killed Green Bay in 2004. Paired with KGB, the packers hope that James will develop into the Jason Taylor/Adewale Ogunleye combo of the north for Bates.

The guy was virtually unblockable in the big ten. His only real concern is injuries which he's also shown to play through... and his injury this past season was the result of a sketchy block that I feel shouldn't be pushing him down.

David Pollack was definately another guy on the board looked at here. But, with Aaron Kampman as a solid, if not spectacular, end to act as insurance... the packers decide to swing for the fences on a guy with the potential to be very great then go with a solid producer who will probably be very good. As well, the hometown kid from the University of Wisconsin heading up north to play pro ball should leave a smile on a lot of the fan base.

Quote from new General Manager Ted Thompson on the selection: "Quite honestly, we were just shocked and ecstatic he was still around for our selection. We feel we got outstanding value and a great player at a position where we wanted some help."

Pick 1.20

The Dallas Cowboys select CB

Justin Miller, Clemson. 5'11" 200 lbs.

I think that the dropoff to the next corner is greater than the dropoff of DE ( the other position I considered here ). I expect to be able to get a DE in the 2nd round. Justin Miller should really help the Cowboys secondary who are desperate for a corner to start opposite of Newman.
Didn't they sign Anthony Henry? Not faulting the pick, because the secondary does need help, but they did shore up the position a bit with that signing.

Pick 1.20

Justin Miller, Clemson.  5'11" 200 lbs.

I think that the dropoff to the next corner is greater than the dropoff of DE ( the other position I considered here ).  I expect to be able to get a DE in the 2nd round.  Justin Miller should really help the Cowboys secondary who are desperate for a corner to start opposite of Newman.
Didn't they sign Anthony Henry? Not faulting the pick, because the secondary does need help, but they did shore up the position a bit with that signing.
Your right. I realized this after the pick was made but it was to late. I was hoping nobody would bring it up. :bag:

You guys realize that a selection of Derrick Johnson means that Randy Moss was traded for 3 LBs: Cowart, Harris, and Johnson? Is that the difference between making headway in the playoffs and an early-round exit? Subtract Randy Moss and add 3 Linebackers? I just don't see it...Colin

Denver Selects Erasmus James - DE - Wisconsin

Frankly, I"m suprised he's still available this late. Losing Reggie Hayward means there's room for a new playmaker at LB. James has a little bit of history of getting dinged up, but he's well worth the trouble at this point in Round 1.

COlin

Frankly, I"m suprised he's still available this late. Losing Reggie Hayward means there's room for a new playmaker at LB. James has a little bit of history of getting dinged up, but he's well worth the trouble at this point in Round 1.

COlin
That's because he's not. Green Bay picked him.

COlin
He's mine! All mine! You can't have him! :football:

The NY Jets Pick...... ERASMUS JAMES...Shocking he's still here, not really a need... But, how can you pass him up? Actually just letting you know I'm here.. so the next guy can be ready :D

We'll take David Pollack, who is smarter and has better metrics than any of the DEs remaining and half the DEs already selected. :P

DENVER SELECTED _ DE _ DAVID POLLACK

Pick 1.20

Justin Miller, Clemson.  5'11" 200 lbs.

I think that the dropoff to the next corner is greater than the dropoff of DE ( the other position I considered here ).  I expect to be able to get a DE in the 2nd round.  Justin Miller should really help the Cowboys secondary who are desperate for a corner to start opposite of Newman.
Your right. I realized this after the pick was made but it was to late. I was hoping nobody would bring it up. :bag:
Sorry.....but that's just a terrible pick IMO. I would go bell tower crazy if they took Miller with the 20th!!!

You guys realize that a selection of Derrick Johnson means that Randy Moss was traded for 3 LBs: Cowart, Harris, and Johnson? Is that the difference between making headway in the playoffs and an early-round exit? Subtract Randy Moss and add 3 Linebackers? I just don't see it...

Colin
The cash they saved on Randy's contract also allowed them to sign Sharper and Smoot. They're quite a way toward retooling their defense because of the trade.

on crowder...with chad brown getting long in the tooth, the seahawks have a vacuum at the LB position of leadership, intensity, and physical play. crowder will provide all 3 and incredible upside with only 2 years of college ball experience. he produced from day one at florida, and seattle will hope he can do the same in the pros. koutouvides can help hold down the fort if crowder's development is slow. between boulware, hamlin, tubbs, and crowder, seattle will have created a strong backbone for their porous D up the middle which should help put an end to their sieve-like ways in the near future.

NY JETS on Heath Miller...Well.. I'm a little bummed... It's inevitable but, every year you look at the draft early and team needs, highlight a few players that seem easily attainable and then the draft comes and your guys get eaten up... The Jets need an Offensive Tackle and as I suspect will happen on draft day, they're gone.I'm also pissed at the Jets this offseason on a number of fronts - With Becht, I think they had a solid blocking TE who was underused in Hackett's World in the passing game... Heimerdinger looked at tape and wanted him back - TOO LATE... I think Becht and Baker would have been fine, and cheap..... Now, they have a glaring hole and the question is -Will Heath Miller be an upgrade? The blocking is taking a hit with the loss of Mckenzie and Becht.... and I don't think Miller adds to the run game much.So with the Jet needs at TE, CB, OT and DT.... The needs at CB and DT aren't THAT great in comparison and there's alot of money already spent on the DL....The draft is loaded with CB's....Whatever.... I'm going to bite the bullet for now and take Miller......My other line of thought in this scenario would be to grab the next best CB and a OT in round 2.... Then grab a TE project in round 3.... But, Miller it is. (For now)

I think the Falcons would look to the defensive backfield... Falcons select Safety Brodney Pool... explaination later.I was not aware of Dan Cody's bipolar disorder.

I think the Falcons would look to the defensive backfield...

Falcons select Safety Brodney Pool... explaination later.

I was not aware of Dan Cody's bipolar disorder.
I believe that Cody quit on the Sooners at some point in his career at OU. It could be a huge issue depending on how his interviews went. Think Underwood.

I was really hoping one of Pool, Barnes and S. Cody would fall to me here but no such luck. At the speed we were moving yesterday I didn't think we would get to me today, so I don't have any of my information handy.Anyone object to waiting until I get home around 5:00 CST?If not, I'll go ahead and make a pick.

QUICK STRENGTHS: size, hands, instincts QUICK WEAKNESSES: tackling, recognition NFL COMPARISONS: Athletic free safety with good hands much like Deon Grant of the Jaguars. Pool played sparingly at safety during his freshman season. He did make an impact on special teams that initial year. As a sophomore, he had a breakout year and led the team in interceptions. As a junior, Pool was named first team all Big 12. Pool is a rangy safety with great size and athleticism. He has great height for the position. In coverage, Pool shows good instincts. He has great ball skills and plays the ball in the air well. He has good hands and leaping ability and will rarely drop an interception opportunity. He has good, but not blazing speed, he is better as a free ranger than he is in one on one coverage. What he needs to a better job of doing is reading plays, seeing them develop rather than just relying on instincts and reacting. He tends to be a little late with his deep help and will get caught looking into the backfield at times. In run support, he comes up hard and aggressively, but lacks great bulk and strength. He isn't a reliable form tackler and often approaches the ball carrier too high. Pool has good upside and in a weaker safety year, he has a chance to be a fairly high draft pick. He went out on a rough note as he struggled in the Orange Bowl against USC, but he had a productive career and has the ability to be an NFL starter. Pool should be a mid 2nd-early 3rd Rounder. Year Team Tackles TFL INT PBU 2002 - Fr Oklahoma 11 1 0 0 2003 - So Oklahoma 68 9 7 6 2004 - Jr Oklahoma 92 5 2 9 TOTALS * 171 15 9 15
Pool is now the best Safety in the draft with Davis projecting to be an OLB. Atlanta lacks many needs but the biggest are WR, DT and DB. Pool should have an immediate impact playing with Scott. I was really hoping Barnes or Shaun Cody was here after them I was going to make a local boy pick with Pollack. None of that was able to happen though. I hadt hen decided to go with Dan Cody off of talent but was not aware of his bipolar disorder. Pool is a pick that makes a lot of sense at this point in time and I had him higher then 27 on my board which is also a positive.

das bumpo.Question: what time limit do you (the guys drafting) fell comfortable with on these picks? If you sign up for these kind of mocks, I think you oughta check in at least once every 12 hours or so.

This is a tough choice based on need. CB is an option, but isn't the Chargers biggest need and I'm not completely sold on Washington. The Chargers have also gone on record that they are happy with their WRs and won't take one early, and I tend to agree with that. McCardell has signed an extension and Caldwell will hopefully rebound from his injury.

1.28 Matt Roth DE Iowa

I'm not thrilled with the pick, but Roth is an animal who, although undersized, can stand up to the run very well. Baltimore has been successful using undersized DEs (6'2" 280), so it is not unheard of to have a guy like Roth at end. He excels in pursuit and will team with Merrman to give SD an improved pass rush.

My only other consideration here was Marcus Johnson, but his weakness in the open field makes me think a transition to OT may not be smooth.

Matt Roth is 6'3 3/4" and 278 lbs. I watcehd every game that he ever played. He is an animal and will consistently get 8-11 sacks. He will give 200% on every play and is very effective against the run.

This is a tough choice based on need. CB is an option, but isn't the Chargers biggest need and I'm not completely sold on Washington. The Chargers have also gone on record that they are happy with their WRs and won't take one early, and I tend to agree with that. McCardell has signed an extension and Caldwell will hopefully rebound from his injury.

1.28 Matt Roth DE Iowa

I'm not thrilled with the pick, but Roth is an animal who, although undersized, can stand up to the run very well. Baltimore has been successful using undersized DEs (6'2" 280), so it is not unheard of to have a guy like Roth at end. He excels in pursuit and will team with Merrman to give SD an improved pass rush.

My only other consideration here was Marcus Johnson, but his weakness in the open field makes me think a transition to OT may not be smooth.
With Merriman on board (unless you think they would put him on the OLB position) I find this pick unneccesary and could see them grab a speedy WR here. Perhaps a suprise pick like White, Roscoe Parrish or Jerome Mathis.

I think 12 hours is very fair. If you aren't going to be around PM proxy picks.
12 hours is fine by me. Honestly if your not going to be around why sign up or at least give some notice you will be awhile/proxy pick.

With Merriman on board (unless you think they would put him on the OLB position) I find this pick unneccesary and could see them grab a speedy WR here. Perhaps a suprise pick like White, Roscoe Parrish or Jerome Mathis.

Merriman is also a tweener and I see him fitting in primarily as a pass rusher at OLB. The Chargers starting ends last year were Igor Olshansky and Otis Leverette and IIRC they combined for only 3 sacks all season. Even if they both end up playing DE the Chargers could use the depth. This also gives them added flexibility to alternate to a 4-3 by moving Olshansky in at DT (which is his more natural position) and having Merriman on one side, Roth on the other and Foley blitzing from OLB. This flexibility seems to be the fad right now with the success of the Patriots. The NFL is a copycat league ... the Broncos, Ravens, Cowboys and 49ers have all suggested they would use a hybrid like the Patriots and I think the Chargers have the personnel to do the same.

With McCardell locked in for two more years, Caldwell back from injury, Osgood, Parker and an all-pro TE Gates, their passing attack is pretty decent as is. There is also pretty good depth at WR this year if they want to draft one later in the 3rd or 4th. Grabbing one of the guys you mentioned would be a reach and if I didn't take Roth I probably would have went with Marcus Johnson OG/OT.

Merriman is also a tweener and I see him fitting in primarily as a pass rusher at OLB. The Chargers starting ends last year were Igor Olshansky and Otis Leverette and IIRC they combined for only 3 sacks all season. Even if they both end up playing DE the Chargers could use the depth. This also gives them added flexibility to alternate to a 4-3 by moving Olshansky in at DT (which is his more natural position) and having Merriman on one side, Roth on the other and Foley blitzing from OLB. This flexibility seems to be the fad right now with the success of the Patriots. The NFL is a copycat league ... the Broncos, Ravens, Cowboys and 49ers have all suggested they would use a hybrid like the Patriots and I think the Chargers have the personnel to do the same.

With McCardell locked in for two more years, Caldwell back from injury, Osgood, Parker and an all-pro TE Gates, their passing attack is pretty decent as is. There is also pretty good depth at WR this year if they want to draft one later in the 3rd or 4th. Grabbing one of the guys you mentioned would be a reach and if I didn't take Roth I probably would have went with Marcus Johnson OG/OT.

Understandable. Roth has the size to be a DE in the 3-4 and would fit in well.

I spaced that SD uses the 3-4. My bad. I think Roth would be a very poor fit as a DE in a 3-4. He did come to Iowa as a LB and kept most of his speed. Ferentz said if every play was a run he would have been an All American LB but he was lost against the pass. So maybe a ILB in a 3-4?

I spaced that SD uses the 3-4. My bad. I think Roth would be a very poor fit as a DE in a 3-4. He did come to Iowa as a LB and kept most of his speed. Ferentz said if every play was a run he would have been an All American LB but he was lost against the pass. So maybe a ILB in a 3-4?
DE's in the 3-4 are used as run stoppers/gap fillers so I'm not sure you would be right that he is not a good fit. Sounds to me like he could be like Aaron Smith in a 3-4.

Matt Roth is very good against the run but what he really is, is a disrupter. He is a pass rusher and putting him in a 3-4,IMO, would negate his best attributes.

Can we use a notifier format of "team X is up, team y is on deck"?That would make things more simple I think.

I think its about time we voted for Big Red and Indy. Dude is way over the 12 hr time limit.In the other draft, dude took DB Marlin Jackson of Michigan for Indy. Sounds good to me. :confused:

I think its about time we voted for Big Red and Indy. Dude is way over the 12 hr time limit.

In the other draft, dude took DB Marlin Jackson of Michigan for Indy. Sounds good to me.

:confused:
I think Jackson is a good pick for the colts as well..

As a Jags fan, I think Clarett :yes: Jackson is a good pick. If not corner how about Darryl Blackstock?I'd good with either.

All I know is that if the pick isn't made by 5:00 ET, you likely won't have the Pittsburgh pick until tomorrow morning...

All I know is that if the pick isn't made by 5:00 ET, you likely won't have the Pittsburgh pick until tomorrow morning...
At 5:00 you should leave us your pick and Indy will have to pick from who's left.. You know, like The Vikings do.

At 5:00 you should leave us your pick and Indy will have to pick from who's left.. You know, like The Vikings do.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: OK, no problem. I wanted to do a write-up, but that will have to wait until after the fact.

Users who are viewing this thread