What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Player Summary on Player Pages...who writes these....? (1 Viewer)

Stinkin Ref

IBL Representative
@Joe Bryant...I guess I will tag you

When we click on a player page, we are getting just one "player summary" on each guy.  I kind of miss the old player pages where you could hover over the staff rankings and get a quick blurb/opinion from the guys who took the time to make some type of comment.  Rankings are great and all, but sometimes it is nice to see the thought process that goes into the ranking.  Many times rankings across the board start looking the same at pretty much any resource you go to (this site or others), so sometimes it's nice to see some actual "comments". 

So my question is kind of two fold......one, who writes the summary we are seeing?....and two, are individual comments from your staff something you guys just aren't really going to do anymore? Cause IMO I find comments often more helpful than anything else to be honest, especially if they are updated as we get closer to the season.

Thanks in advance...and my apologies if these are buried somewhere and I am just missing them or something.

@Joe Bryant...I guess I will tag you

When we click on a player page, we are getting just one "player summary" on each guy.  I kind of miss the old player pages where you could hover over the staff rankings and get a quick blurb/opinion from the guys who took the time to make some type of comment.  Rankings are great and all, but sometimes it is nice to see the thought process that goes into the ranking.  Many times rankings across the board start looking the same at pretty much any resource you go to (this site or others), so sometimes it's nice to see some actual "comments". 

So my question is kind of two fold......one, who writes the summary we are seeing?....and two, are individual comments from your staff something you guys just aren't really going to do anymore? Cause IMO I find comments often more helpful than anything else to be honest, especially if they are updated as we get closer to the season.

Thanks in advance...and my apologies if these are buried somewhere and I am just missing them or something.

Thanks for the question. We have a team of staffers that cover the player pages. And also the Team Reports. https://www.footballguys.com/draft-kit#team-reports

I normally like to have to have the person who does the team report also do all the players on that team so it's consistent.

The Player Comments are something completely different though. They were always on our old rankings page. It used to be sort of random and if one of the Expert Rankers had a comment on that player, their ranking number was bolded and if you hovered over, the comment popped up. I hated this as it wasn't clear. We were creating great content with the comments and people didn't always know it was there.

When we completely redesigned the Expert Rankings Page https://www.footballguys.com/rankings, we made it so all the comments for that player were all in one place right next to the player name. There's a little little dialog box icon next to the player name and if you click that, you see all the comments from all the staffers who have a comment on that player. Not just way better looking, it's tons more usable that way. 

Thanks for the question. We have a team of staffers that cover the player pages. And also the Team Reports. https://www.footballguys.com/draft-kit#team-reports

I normally like to have to have the person who does the team report also do all the players on that team so it's consistent.

The Player Comments are something completely different though. They were always on our old rankings page. It used to be sort of random and if one of the Expert Rankers had a comment on that player, their ranking number was bolded and if you hovered over, the comment popped up. I hated this as it wasn't clear. We were creating great content with the comments and people didn't always know it was there.

When we completely redesigned the Expert Rankings Page https://www.footballguys.com/rankings, we made it so all the comments for that player were all in one place right next to the player name. There's a little little dialog box icon next to the player name and if you click that, you see all the comments from all the staffers who have a comment on that player. Not just way better looking, it's tons more usable that way. 
 @Joe Bryant  holy cow...that is awesome....I'm just an idiot and never clicked on that little dialogue box, I just clicked on the players name and went to the player page expecting to find everything there....thanks for the heads up...you da man

@Joe Bryant  holy cow...that is awesome....I'm just an idiot and never clicked on that little dialogue box, I just clicked on the players name and went to the player page expecting to find everything there....thanks for the heads up...you da man

No worries Buddy. It's like I've said in the talk about formatting Shark Pool posts, change is ALWAYS a challenge. 

I hated the way we had it in the past though. And love this new style. It all takes some adjusting though. Thanks Buddy and thanks for being part of the Site.

No worries Buddy. It's like I've said in the talk about formatting Shark Pool posts, change is ALWAYS a challenge. 

I hated the way we had it in the past though. And love this new style. It all takes some adjusting though. Thanks Buddy and thanks for being part of the Site.
X100000000. Been here so long that I assumed it was just a re-skin of the same content and didn’t even notice the "note/dialog" icon. That’s excellent. Thanks Joe and all the FBGs!

this is awesome! thanks gents for the Q&A, i never clicked on that before either. does that (or will that) consolidated player comment appear anywhere else on the site, or only by pressing that dialog button on that rankings page?

this is awesome! thanks gents for the Q&A, i never clicked on that before either. does that (or will that) consolidated player comment appear anywhere else on the site, or only by pressing that dialog button on that rankings page?

It's just on the Expert Rankings page. That makes the most sense for us as it all comments from the Expert Rankers and often makes the most sense in the context of the rankings. One of the things we ask our people to do is make sure they comment if they are on the outside edges of where others are ranking. I don't mind (and actually encourage) rankers to get away from the norm, but only if they can back it up. 

joey said:
X100000000. Been here so long that I assumed it was just a re-skin of the same content and didn’t even notice the "note/dialog" icon. That’s excellent. Thanks Joe and all the FBGs!

Thanks GB. It almost killed us but it was a complete tear down and rebuild. Painful but it was for sure the right thing. I love all the new functionality. Plus a lot better looking. We know it had become not current looking. 

One of my favorite things (and this may not be new) is after you've synced your fantasy leagues and are on the rankings page and click on a player it takes you to their profile page, and on the right hand side it tells you if that player is a free agent in each league you're in (and what team has him if he's not a FA.)

Just looked up Donald Parham and saw he's available in a couple of my dynasty leagues. Such a great resource and time saver when on the hunt for diamonds in the rough. 

One of my favorite things (and this may not be new) is after you've synced your fantasy leagues and are on the rankings page and click on a player it takes you to their profile page, and on the right hand side it tells you if that player is a free agent in each league you're in (and what team has him if he's not a FA.)

Just looked up Donald Parham and saw he's available in a couple of my dynasty leagues. Such a great resource and time saver when on the hunt for diamonds in the rough. 
Great tip!!! Thanks for that! 

Joe Bryant said:

I also miss this feature.   What did you hate?  What wasn't clear?

Thanks @foxco  I totally agree with you. This is one of those things that was a "build something you want for yourself" things. Anyone who's played fantasy football for a bit knows the pain of seeing an article about a hot waiver wire pickup and then going to the league software to pick him up and seeing that he's not available. A big part of Footballguys is that personalization thing where we don't give generic info, we give info that's tied directly into your league. Hope you crush it this season. 

I also miss this feature.   What did you hate?  What wasn't clear?

The feature isn't gone. The comments are still there. We just collected all the comments and put them in one place next to the player's name on the Expert Rankings page https://www.footballguys.com/rankings-funnel  in the little dialog box next to the players name. That way it's visible and more people see it. 

I hated the way before that is was hidden. It's great content and lots of people never knew it was there. 

Being more clear is a big push for this year. 

It should show the same way I believe. If it's not, please let them know at help@footballguys.com and they'll have some specific questions for your league info. 

Not tieing to any league just generic expert rankings. Bubbles show in Draft Ranking but not in the other 3 I mentioned. 

@Joe Bryant

Last edited by a moderator:
Not tieing to any league just generic expert rankings. Bubbles show in Draft Ranking but not in the other 3 I mentioned. 

@Joe Bryant

Weird. It's working perfectly for me in all leagues with the different formats of best ball or draft rankings. There aren't any "bubbles". Players are highlighted. Please contact help@footballguys.com as they can tell more with your league sync and screenshots. Thanks. 

Weird. It's working perfectly for me in all leagues with the different formats of best ball or draft rankings. There aren't any "bubbles". Players are highlighted. Please contact help@footballguys.com as they can tell more with your league sync and screenshots. Thanks. 
I'd bet it is a mobile version thing now that I give it thought. Because on my tablet, the default draft rankings show players with a little text bubble next to their name and that gives the expert's notes. Even in the links you posted. 

I'd bet it is a mobile version thing now that I give it thought. Because on my tablet, the default draft rankings show players with a little text bubble next to their name and that gives the expert's notes. Even in the links you posted. 

I'm sorry. I think I misunderstood.

Are you talking about the little dialog box next to the player name that has the comments in them?

Sorry my mistake. When you said, "this feature" I thought you meant the highlighting feature @foxco said he loved. 

The comments in the dialog box are currently in the Draft and Dynasty view. But not Rookie and Best Ball yet. Hope to have them in all 4 soon.

Sorry about the confusion. 

Sorry my mistake. When you said, "this feature" I thought you meant the highlighting feature @foxco said he loved. 

The comments in the dialog box are currently in the Draft and Dynasty view. But not Rookie and Best Ball yet. Hope to have them in all 4 soon.

Sorry about the confusion. 
No worries. I wasn't clear. 

I only see the dialog boxes on "Draft Ranking" but I see where @Simon Shepherdalready responded too.

Thanks guys. 

The feature isn't gone. The comments are still there. We just collected all the comments and put them in one place next to the player's name on the Expert Rankings page https://www.footballguys.com/rankings-funnel  in the little dialog box next to the players name. That way it's visible and more people see it. 

I hated the way before that is was hidden. It's great content and lots of people never knew it was there. 

Being more clear is a big push for this year. 

What I really don't like with the new ranking format is that when you are scrolling down past the first couple of dozen rankings you lose the header of experts.

I wish this header bar could be floating. 

For example lets say you are looking at Kyle Pitts at 65 overall.    He has a high overall ranking of 28 and a low of 140.   Now if you want to see whom made those two ranking you now have to scroll all the way up top to be able to note that it was Bloom and Hicks.

What I really don't like with the new ranking format is that when you are scrolling down past the first couple of dozen rankings you lose the header of experts.

I wish this header bar could be floating. 

For example lets say you are looking at Kyle Pitts at 65 overall.    He has a high overall ranking of 28 and a low of 140.   Now if you want to see whom made those two ranking you now have to scroll all the way up top to be able to note that it was Bloom and Hicks.

Thanks. I don't disagree the floating header is cool in a spreadsheet and I use that too to freeze a row. We tried to incorporate this for the Rankings but it gave us all kinds of compatibility problems across different browsers. And mobile was terrible. We put a huge value on mobile and made the decision to stay with the static header we've always had. Thanks.  Do you have a link for other sites where you see this done well? We can take a look for next year. 

Users who are viewing this thread