What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG'S TOP 100 PINK FLOYD SONGS - #01 - Comfortably Numb from The Wall (1979) (2 Viewers)

A leftover from Louder:

41. Paintbox
As the flip to 1967’s Apples And Oranges, the Wright-sung/written Paintbox fell between the cracks, but deserved better. Like the befuddled narrator – who “must admit I had too much to drink” – the song never quite seems to find its center of gravity, lurching between ominously clattered acoustics and rattled drums. It was a fair reflection of a band rebooting after their frazzled leader’s exit. “Paintbox was done soon after Syd left,” Wright told a fan Q&A, “and we still hadn’t established the way the band was going to work.”

And a few from Billboard:

42. Paintbox (B-side, 1967)
The flip side to Apples and Oranges, the band’s final Barrett-written single, and almost undoubtedly the superior composition: Floyd keyboardist Rick Wright wrote and sang this one, a psych-pop nugget melodic and creative enough to have made it to The Zombies’ Odessey and Oracle. “I feel as if I’m remembering this scene before/ I open the door to an empty room, then I forget,” Wright sings, unintentionally predicting at least two of their ’70s concept albums in the process.

45. Vegetable Man (The Early Years, 1965-1972, 2016)
Another long-buried early Floyd treasure, though by this one Syd Barrett had self-actualized as the psychedelic cult figure who would gain an immense following at the cost of his own mind: Vegetable Man is near-total delirium, a stomping, directionless garage-rock number that’s half fashion satire and half lonerist cry for help, the song becoming more confused about its own identity as it goes. It’s a transfixing mess, and despite going unreleased for nearly 50 years, the song developed enough of a legend through fan bootlegs to get covered by ’80s underground heroes The Soft Boys and The Jesus and Mary Chain.

48. Double O Bo (The Early Years 1965-1972, 2016)
Originally recorded in 1965 and not officially released for another half century, Double O Bo saw the band tributing early hero Bo Diddley in typically perverse fashion: With a mutant Diddley groove and a narrative about Bo as a super-cool super-agent who drinks himself to death. It would soon never define them again, but you wish the band coulda carried at least a crumb of this smart-alecky inside-jokiness into their brutally self-serious dominant period.

Obviously, I like Not Now John. It's an upbeat song on a album full of the opposite. Also, Gimour singing, which is another nice change of pace. The message isn't exactly uplifting, but hey, it is a Pink Floyd song, and that's what you get.

@Just Win Baby enters a bar . . .

SWIPE RIGHT / WIN IF YOU CAN, LOSE IF YOU MUST, BUT ALWAYS CHEAT
@Yo Mama (19 similar songs, 9 of the same Top 10)
@Desert_Power (18 + 9)
@Ghost Rider (18 + 8)
@lardonastick (18 + 8)
@DocHolliday (18 + 8)
3 tied at 17 songs

SWIPE LEFT / A 6-PACK IS ALL YOU HAVE TO OFFER?
@jabarony (6 + 3)
@Anarchy99 (8 + 5)
@Pip's Invitation (11 + 8)
3 tied with 12 songs

CHALK RANKINGS (Average songs per list)
lardonastick - 16.81, Yo Mama - 16.16
Friend of PIK95 - 15.48, Yambag - 15.10
PIK95 - 14.90, Ghost Rider - 14.77, Galileo - 14.71, BroncoFreak_2K3 - 14.58, Just Win Baby - 14.56, Dwayne Hoover - 14.29, FatMax - 14.16
Ghoti - 13.85, ericttspikes - 13.19
Dr. Octopus - 12.91, BrutalPenguin - 12.69, zamboni - 12.38, Pip's Invitation - 12.23
Mookie Gizzy - 11.94

Last edited:

@Yo Mama (18 similar songs, 9 of the same Top 10)
@Desert_Power (18 + 9)
@Ghost Rider (18 + 8)
@lardonastick (18 + 8)
@DocHolliday (18 + 8)
3 tied at 17 songs

@jabarony (6 + 3)
@Anarchy99 (8 + 5)
3 tied with 12 songs

PIK95 - 14.90, Ghost Rider - 14.77, Galileo - 14.71, BroncoFreak_2K3 - 14.58, Just Win Baby - 14.56, Dwayne Hoover - 14.29, FatMax - 14.16
Dr. Octopus - 12.91, BrutalPenguin - 12.69, zamboni - 12.38, Pip's Invitation - 12.23
Mookie Gizzy - 11.94
I love these breakdown posts. (y)

Vulture Ranking (34 out of 165 songs): Some actual energy evinced on this standout track from The Final Cut. It’s not really a Pink Floyd song — this was, after all, really a Roger Waters solo album, with all of the pinched sarcasm you’d expect, not to mention the overdone backing vocals — but it’s decent even for a Waters solo track, and having Gilmour finally singing (his only vocal on the entire album) improves the listening experience immensely. The song itself is a coherent blast at what Waters saw in British society at the time, among other things the crushing of workers’ rights using dubious rationales. In the end, I really don’t get what The Final Cut is about, though I am given to understand that the cut in question was an unkind one indeed, though not as unkind as the one Waters was about to get from his longtime bandmates. Gilmour said good-bye to Waters but kept the name and successfully beat back Waters’s legal challenges. The fired Wright was brought back as a for-hire member, and two very bad Waters-free albums resulted, as we have seen. But they each sold more than 10 million units! (And that’s not to mention 12 million in live album sales, and those cost basically nothing to record.) To top it all off, Gilmour led the band into the era of the modern high-end rock tour — and grossed about $400 million in the decade after Waters left, enough money to make even Waters’s songwriting royalties look small.

This writing is even more horrendous than the other Vulture entries. Also, unless you're talking about the lowest of low-fi, live albums don't cost "basically nothing" to record. This dude is an ignoramus and I feel dumber for having read his words.

This writing is even more horrendous than the other Vulture entries. Also, unless you're talking about the lowest of low-fi, live albums don't cost "basically nothing" to record. This dude is an ignoramus and I feel dumber for having read his words.
I will push back a little on this one. When you are PINK FLOYD, the cost of recording shows is essentially pocket change. As the Vulture writer mentioned, the post-Waters tours generated $400 million in ticket sales and the live albums from those tours sold 12 million copies. For the band and the record label, it was basically free money to record and release their shows. The DVD and videos of the concerts actually outsold the live albums. Between the tours, live albums, and DVDs (not counting the album sales) is in the magnitude of $750 million of revenue. So yeah, recording the shows in the grand scheme of things on a relative scale was "basically nothing."

#47-T - Wot's . . . Uh The Deal? from Obscured By Clouds (1972)

Appeared On: 4 ballots (out of 33 . . . 12.1%)
Total Points: 38 points (out of 825 possible points . . . 4.6%)
Top Rankers: @jabarony @Dr. Octopus @Ridgeback @zamboni
Highest Ranking: 6

Live Performances:

DG
: 20 (Gdansk - 2006, London - 2006, Venice - 2006)

Covers: Guitara, Sky Cries Mary, Gluemind

Wot’s… Uh The Deal? is the fifth track from Pink Floyd’s 1972 album Obscured By Clouds, which acts the soundtrack to the film La Vallee. The strange title comes from a phrase by at-the-time roadie Chris Adamson. The lyric "Flash the readies, Wot's . . . Uh the Deal" is reported to be a phrase that Adamson used. The lyrics to the song refer to someone searching for meaning, and how their perspective changes as they grow older. In the film, the song can be heard while Viviane and Olivier hook up for the first time.

It features multi-track vocals by David Gilmour. The lyrics are by Roger Waters and describe how to take advantage of certain opportunities in life and how they affect a person later on. Other people think it's about our journey in life and the accomplishment of dreams. Others still feel the song is about Syd.

Neither version of Pink Floyd performed the song in concert, but Gilmour surprisingly added it to the setlist for 20 shows on his 2006 tour.

Vulture Ranking (out of 165 songs): 64
Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 167 songs): 59
Louder Ranking (out of 50 songs): NR
WMGK Ranking (out of 40 songs): NR
Ranker Ranking (out of 132 songs): 70
Billboard Ranking (out of 50 songs): 41

Vulture Ranking (64 out of 165 songs): Another good example of just how disparate the music was that the band was making in the early 1970s. This is a purty little ballad, sung delicately, with some actual bite in the lyrics. “There’s no wind in my soul / And I’ve grown old.” (That was a pretty taboo rock-star subject in 1972.) There’s a tinkling piano, a whining organ, and a strummed guitar, and all produced just this side of adequately, nothing more. At the same time, these goofballs were working on The Dark Side of the Moon! I don’t understand the title either.

UCR Ranking (59 out of 167 songs): A folksy gait, some warm instrumentation, a winning chorus and lyrics that suggest Moses was one weary hippie. What’s… uh, not to like about this overlooked Floyd gem?

Billboard Ranking (41 out of 50 songs): Pink Floyd had an underrated acoustic rock period in between tapping out on psych-rock excess with the execrable Atom Heart Mother and going full future-rock with Dark Side. Wot’s… Uh the Deal is a lovely mid-tempo strummer from the mostly delightful Obscured By Clouds that pictures a version of Floyd casual and sun-soaked and preternaturally tuneful enough to have played Classic East last weekend — not their best-case scenario, but an intriguing alternate history.

Coming up next . . . it's been a while since we visited the Meddle album. This song actually fits well with Wot's . . . Uh The Deal? (and is named after the game mahjong).

The only song from Final Cut that I unequivocally like (funny that Gilmour hates it). That's because it rocks hard, and that it actually is a song first and a political rant/therapy session second, unlike most of the rest of the material from the album.
I wonder if Gilmour’s dislike of this song comes from being asked to sing harsh, negative lyrics.

The reason Roy Harper sings Have a Cigar is that Waters blew out his voice singing Shine On and wasn’t able to sing the other Wish tracks. Gilmour refused to sing Cigar because he didn’t want to sing anything that was “hateful.” Harper was recording in the same studio at the time and they asked him to do it instead.

If Gilmour wasn’t comfortable singing Have a Cigar, he was certainly not comfortable singing this.

@Desert_Power (18 + 9)
@Ghost Rider (18 + 8)
@lardonastick (18 + 8)
@DocHolliday (18 + 8)
3 tied at 17 songs

@jabarony (6 + 3)
@Anarchy99 (8 + 5)
3 tied with 12 songs

Mookie Gizzy - 11.94
I have no idea what they mean, but I keep trying.

@Desert_Power (18 + 9)
@Ghost Rider (18 + 8)
@lardonastick (18 + 8)
@DocHolliday (18 + 8)
3 tied at 17 songs

@jabarony (6 + 3)
@Anarchy99 (8 + 5)
3 tied with 12 songs

Mookie Gizzy - 11.94
I have no idea what they mean, but I keep trying.

It's just a fun way to compare your picks to others here. This one he does here is for Just Win Baby. The list are posters with the most similar picks. For example, Yo Mama has 18 of the same picks in his top 25, and 9 out of the same top 10. The second list are posters with the least simlar lists, with total songs and top 10 in parethesis next to it.

The chalk ranking is exactly what is sounds like. It's the average number of songs that you have similar with the group as a whole, just averaged out. The higher the number, the more chalky the picks are. New posters are added to this list as he does the comparisons above it.

Live Performances:

DG

Wot’s… Uh The Deal? is the fifth track from Pink Floyd’s 1972 album Obscured By Clouds, which acts the soundtrack to the film La Vallee. The strange title comes from a phrase by at-the-time roadie Chris Adamson. The lyric "Flash the readies, Wot's . . . Uh the Deal" is reported to be a phrase that Adamson used. The lyrics to the song refer to someone searching for meaning, and how their perspective changes as they grow older. In the film, the song can be heard while Viviane and Olivier hook up for the first time.

It features multi-track vocals by David Gilmour. The lyrics are by Roger Waters and describe how to take advantage of certain opportunities in life and how they affect a person later on. Other people think it's about our journey in life and the accomplishment of dreams. Others still feel the song is about Syd.

Neither version of Pink Floyd performed the song in concert, but Gilmour surprisingly added it to the setlist for 20 shows on his 2006 tour.

Vulture Ranking (64 out of 165 songs): Another good example of just how disparate the music was that the band was making in the early 1970s. This is a purty little ballad, sung delicately, with some actual bite in the lyrics. “There’s no wind in my soul / And I’ve grown old.” (That was a pretty taboo rock-star subject in 1972.) There’s a tinkling piano, a whining organ, and a strummed guitar, and all produced just this side of adequately, nothing more. At the same time, these goofballs were working on The Dark Side of the Moon! I don’t understand the title either.

UCR Ranking (59 out of 167 songs): A folksy gait, some warm instrumentation, a winning chorus and lyrics that suggest Moses was one weary hippie. What’s… uh, not to like about this overlooked Floyd gem?

Billboard Ranking (41 out of 50 songs): Pink Floyd had an underrated acoustic rock period in between tapping out on psych-rock excess with the execrable Atom Heart Mother and going full future-rock with Dark Side. Wot’s… Uh the Deal is a lovely mid-tempo strummer from the mostly delightful Obscured By Clouds that pictures a version of Floyd casual and sun-soaked and preternaturally tuneful enough to have played Classic East last weekend — not their best-case scenario, but an intriguing alternate history.

Coming up next . . . it's been a while since we visited the Meddle album. This song actually fits well with Wot's . . . Uh The Deal? (and is named after the game mahjong).
A fantastic cover of this by a great band - Sky Cries Mary

#46 - A Pillow Of Winds from Meddle (1971)

Total Points: 40 points (out of 825 possible points . . . 4.8%)
Top Rankers: @New Binky the Doormat @zamboni @Galileo @Dwayne Hoover
Highest Ranking: 11

Live Performances: None

Covers
: MobyDick00001, Gran Canaria, Cristian Zaharia, Thirsting Quench

With San Tropez not considered an official song on the countdown (it got an honorable mention with no actual votes), A Pillow Of Winds becomes the first track from Meddle to make an appearance. The title A Pillow of Winds was inspired by the games of Mahjong that Waters, Mason, and their wives played while in the south of France. According to Nick Mason, the song's title originates from one of the hands in the game, with which the band had become enamored while touring. Sung by Dave, the song is one of the few acoustic love songs in their repertoire. The song is about peace, or tranquility. More specifically, sleep. It details the stages of sleep, the beginning is about the process of going to bed, the middle of course being about dreaming, and the end, waking up in the morning

After the intensity of One of These Days, the beautiful, airy, and under-rated A Pillow of Winds is a refreshing change. Dominated by Dave's overlaid acoustic and electric guitars, the song also features a beautiful if inconsequential lyric by Roger. The word 'eiderdown' is used here for the third time in a Pink Floyd song; this is a substance taken from the eider duck which is particularly soft and comforting, and used as a Pink Floyd lyric to represent warmth and comfort, in an emotional as well as physical sense.

The wind of One of These Days leads directly into A Pillow of Winds without a pause, creating more of a linked feel to the songs, as if the fear of the first song is assuaged by the comfort of everything turning out all right in the second. This was a minor step towards the concept album of the following year.

Meddle was recorded between the band's various concert commitments, and therefore its production was spread over a considerable period of time. The band recorded in the first half of April 1971, but in the latter half played at Doncaster and Norwich before returning to record at the end of the month. In May, they split their time between sessions at EMI, and rehearsals and concerts in London, Lancaster, Stirling, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Nottingham. June and July were spent mainly performing at venues across Europe. August was spent in the far east and Australia, September in Europe, and October to November in the U.S.

The song was never performed by the band or any of the members individually.

Vulture Ranking (out of 165 songs): 89
Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 167 songs): 47
Ranker Ranking (out of 132 songs): 63
Billboard Ranking (out of 50 songs): NR

Vulture Ranking (89 out of 165 songs): Hey Dave and Rog: What’s this about “eiderdown”? I knew Syd Barrett. Syd Barrett was a friend of mine. And you’re no Syd Barrett.

UCR Ranking (47 out of 167 songs): What could be construed as a simple folk song is rich in detail. The key switches from E major to E minor to reflect the (literal) darkness of the lyrics. Waters creates a drone on a fretless bass. And Gilmour layers guitars upon guitars (acoustic, electric, slide, pedal steel …) to spin a spiderweb of sound. Plus, it’s the last song in the eiderdown trilogy.

We continue with the mellow, low key, acoustic vibe with a song from AHM.

#44-T - If from Atom Heart Mother (1970)

Total Points: 42 points (out of 825 possible points . . . 5.1%)
Top Rankers: @jabarony @Mt. Man @Dr. Octopus @zamboni
Highest Ranking: 8

Live Performances:
PF
: 2 (London - 1970-07-16, London - 1971-02-16)
RW: 74 (Chicago - 1984-07-26, New York - 1985-03-28, London - 1987-11-21)
NM: 210 (Roundhouse)

Covers: Max Gazze, Urban Township, Lila Madrigali, Ka Mate Ka Ora, Loop, Lello Ansani, Brett Spivey, coso

A beautiful song, and though it is only one of many acoustic pieces Roger has written, it somehow seems unusually gentle for him. Perhaps this is because the lyrics seem straight from the heart, expressing regret over some of the difficult aspects of his character which may cause others pain, making Roger think he may not be a good man, and yet accepting that at the same time.

Musician and PF collaborator Ron Geesin: "What makes art, what makes creativity? It's a sort of imbalance, I think. Roger had a need for acceptance and applause — the egocentric — and then a need to repel the very applause that's coming. I even experienced that as a close friend, where sometimes I'd turn up at his house, having made arrangements to get together at a certain time, and he'd be going off to a squash match. To me, that was calculating. It was like saying, 'Come to my castle,' and then when you get there you get a bucket of hot oil, or a cannonball. With Roger, I learned to live with that switch between closeness and farness. If shows more of the real Roger than all that bloody political shouting his head off. Far more important than the Floyd's great astral wanderings. The line 'If I were a good man I'd understand the spaces between friends' — that's the essence of the man."

Roger sings and probably plays acoustic guitar in this song. Dave plays an understated electric guitar with lots of reverb in the bridge.

In a review for the Atom Heart Mother album, Rolling Stone gave If a negative review, calling the song "English folk at its deadly worst. It's soft and silly." Many years later, Rolling Stone would later praise the song, writing "Roger Waters' pastoral ballad on this flawed album was a moving examination of the terror of isolation; Floyd were finally rooting their astral travels in true songwriting." Paste Magazine described If as one of Roger Waters' best compositions. Sputnik Music believes If contains "very introspective lyrics that end up making a memorable outing", but also believed the track was not as well-written as some of Waters' later and earlier pieces.

Vulture Ranking (out of 165 songs): 103
Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 167 songs): 70
WMGK Ranking (out of 40 songs): 31
Ranker Ranking (out of 132 songs): 48

Vulture Ranking (103 out of 165 songs): More of Pink Floyd’s incoherent aesthetics. How does the dynamic and forceful Astronomy Dominé square with the tuneless whispering (from Waters, who wrote it) and rudimentary guitar-plucking of this?

UCR Ranking (70 out of 167 songs): Waters grabs an idea from Rudyard Kipling and delivers a pleasant bit of pastoral introspection. The singer’s climbing bassline and Gilmour’s tangy slide guitar come along just before If would have gotten stuck in a folksy rut.

WMGK Ranking (31 out of 40 songs): Written and sung by Waters, it sees him exploring isolation and loneliness nearly a decade before The Wall. Back then, he was introspective. “If I were a good man, I’d talk to you more often than I do,” is a hell of a line. So is “If I were a good man, I’d understand the spaces between friends.” He might have been thinking of Barrett here (the memory of Barrett haunted Wish You Were Here as well). “If I go insane, please don’t put your wires in my brain” is haunting, in retrospect. As is “If I go insane, will you still let me join in with the game?” Waters was allegedly the guy who decided to push Barrett out of the band a few years earlier.

Coming up, we stick to the same general time frame as the last few songs and explore an upbeat, peppy song about death and dying that was released as a single in the U.S.

Paintbox (B-side, 1967)
Much better than its A-side Apples and Oranges. It's whimsical but purposeful psych-pop and I agree with Billboard that it kind of sounds like the Zombies. It's interesting that after Syd's departure, Wright was a major writing/singing force in the band, until he wasn't.

Vegetable Man (The Early Years, 1965-1972, 2016)
More fodder for cult of Syd who created childlike-but-unhinged material in his wake. The thing was, Syd wasn't faking the unhinged part. So these songs can provide uncomfortable moments when listening to them.

Double O Bo (The Early Years 1965-1972, 2016)
In 1965 they heard the Animals and said "hey, we can do that too."

Another OBC song that I thought about for my list and might have included if we went to 40 or 50. Excellent lyrics by Waters and vocals by Gilmour. I especially like the vocal arrangement on the "mile after mile" part. When you also consider the mellow, acoustic-based arrangement, is this the precursor to Wish You Were Here (the song)?

Kind of gets overlooked due to the A-tier songs on either side of it. But it has many of the same charms as "Wot's", though the lyrics are inferior. The atmospherics Gilmour and Wright create starting around 3:00 portend what they would do on Dark Side.

The music drags too much for my liking, but these are some of Waters' best lyrics. Probably would have benefited from a Gilmour vocal, but the conceit of this album is that everyone not named Nick Mason got one song to write and sing in between the Serious Suite and the Silly Suite.

#44-T - Free Four from Obscured By Clouds (1972)

Appeared On: 3 ballots (out of 33 . . . 9.1%)
Top Rankers: @jabarony @Anarchy99 @Mookie Gizzy
Highest Ranking: 7

Covers: Rosebud, BillDozer, Blue Aeroplanes, Relics Of Floyd, Smoke Break, Christopher Shaw, Academia do Rock Juvevê

The song takes its name from the traditional rock and roll countdown at the start of the song "one, two, free, four..." The song deals with themes that would become standard for Waters in albums following this, notably his father's death and the "evils" of the record industry. It's about how our lives pass by - most of the time with no real effect on the cycle by which we all live and pass. Free Four is the only song off Obscured By Clouds sung by Roger.

Though the song's mellow during the lyrical portions, the guitar solo surprisingly launches into a heavier tone, with progression that's reminiscent of "One Of These Days", capturing the classic Pink Floyd guitar sound. Free Four was released as a single in 1972 and managed to break into FM radio's Top 50 list. It was the last thing PF released prior to DSOTM, which clearly changed the fortunes and stature of the band.

Free Four was the first Pink Floyd song since See Emily Play to attract significant airplay in the US, and the second (after Corporal Clegg) to refer to the death of Waters' father during World War II. The band felt it was suitable for AM radio. The music begins in an upbeat manner, while the lyrics tell a very cynical and somewhat depressing story. The song charted at number 29 in the Netherlands and 35 in Belgium. Cashbox reviewed the single saying "Would you believe a happy song about death?" Record World said that it "is not only musically excellent but also accessible and commercial enough to hit as a single."

AllMusic had this to say: "Although the song has been largely forgotten thanks to the much more commercially successful DSOTM and its equally well-known follow-ups, 1972's Free Four was the first PF song to garner much American radio airplay on the free-form stations that one would have considered a natural for the group's longer explorations. It seems to be an entirely atypical choice for airplay, as it's one of Floyd's most musically anomalous songs. An almost jaunty, Kinks-like shuffle with a melody that sounds like solo Paul McCartney decorated by dive-bombing fuzz guitar riffs and hand claps that recall T. Rex's classic singles, Free Four sounds like it could almost be a follow-up to Mungo Jerry's In the Summertime. That is, until one notices that the lyrics are both a follow-up to Roger's earlier track about his father's death in WWII, Corporal Clegg, and a precursor to the bitterness and cynicism that permeates everything from Animals to The Final Cut, bitterly masked by the catchy little pop tune. It's a clever trick, and a song that's surprisingly effective on both levels."

The version of this song in the movie is different, replacing the lyrics of the third verse with: So take my advice and cut yourself a slice / And try not to make it too big / Cause things are hard to grow / And I can tell you, cause I know / It's better not to make yourself sick. (That version is on the Works album). The song song has never been performed live.

Vulture Ranking (out of 165 songs): 33
Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 167 songs): 53
Louder Ranking (out of 50 songs): 50
Ranker Ranking (out of 132 songs): NR
Billboard Ranking (out of 50 songs): 27

Vulture Ranking (33 out of 165 songs): This is a pretty funny song, which ended up on the soundtrack to The Valley. A lot of rock fans from the era will dimly remember this track — which was a single — but won’t be able to tell you the name of the band. It has a guitar sound out of Spirit in the Sky and a nice sing-along feel; Gilmour contributes a shocker of a solo, which doesn’t really fit with the rest. Lyrically it’s another step forward for Waters, head and shoulders above anything else the band had done before, a mordant meditation on life, death, war, work, and capitalism, with what I think is the first reference to the death of his father, which would take on more and more importance in his work to come.

UCR Ranking (53 out of 167 songs): This folk-rock toe-tapper becomes distinctively Floydian with its steady rumble of VCS3 synthesizer, almost incongruous rock guitar solos and morbid observations by singer and songwriter Waters. He fixates on death, regret, his father and the music industry (all themes that would appear again soon in the band’s more renowned albums), but belies all the darkness with the Free Four's jaunty bounce.

Louder Ranking (50 out of 50 songs): Pink Floyd’s 1975 song Welcome To The Machine has always been the moment listeners first realized how disenfranchised Roger Waters had become. But it didn’t happen overnight. The lyrics to Free Four were thoroughly bleak, but disguised in a brisk, almost country rock song. Free Four is the first Pink Floyd song to reference Waters’s father. Eric Fletcher Waters was a soldier in the 8th Royal Fusiliers, killed during the Second World War when his son was just five months old. ‘I am the dead man’s son,’ sings Waters, ‘And he was buried like a mole in a fox hole.’ Waters’s questioning lyric continues over the song’s near hypnotic, seesawing rhythm and David Gilmour’s spitting guitar solos. ‘You shuffle in gloom to the sickroom/And talk to yourself ’til you die,’ offers the final pay-off line in a song whose lyrics are as despondent as its music is upbeat.

Billboard Ranking (27 out of 50 songs): P. Rex! Pink Floyd didn’t exactly have a ton of natural overlap with the concurrent glam rock explosion as they finished their own ascent to U.K. rock primacy, but this Obscured By Clouds single borrows Electric Warrior‘s jaunty handclaps and hip-swaying boogie — though it’s clearly set apart by a searing Gilmour mini-solo, a gently foreboding Waters vocal (“You are the angel of death!“) and synth bombs detonated at the end of each line by Wright. It’s a fiendish concoction, and one of the most purely likeable things the Floyd did in the ’70s.

They'll be no sleep in here tonight until we get to our next song.

Last edited:
I was mentally prepared to have "If" ranked the highest, but I put it at 12. "Only" 12.

Way, way, back in my college years, a couple of co-workers helped take me from essentially "guy who knows Pink Floyd's radio songs" to being aware of more of their music. Naturally, "If" was an early standout for me. A song that simply connects with me, then and now. Music and lyrics both thoughful and melancholy. It's safe to say that I'll always have a soft spot for this one.

Free Four is very nice. It didn't make my list, but if we had done a top 50, it likely would have snuck in there.

The others all featured since yesterday are solid, but not standouts for me.

So to go back to the earlier talk about post-Waters Floyd albums not being "real" Pink Floyd.

I listened to Momentary Lapse of Reason, Division Bell, Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking and Radio K.A.O.S. over the last two days and it confirmed to me that I MUCH prefer the two Waters albums to the two Floyd albums - and I actually think Amused to Death is better than all of them but I'm looking at it chronologically to be fair.

The Waters albums sound much more like Floyd to me - his songwriting, and the way he's able to make and album sound like an album (rather than a collection of songs) is just so superior to Gilmour's abilities in that light.

I surely miss Gilmour's vocals and guitar but Waters does a great job of letting his female back up singers do some heavy lifting and I love the juxtaposition of their vocals with his. Eric Clapton has a much different style than Gilmour but he does some of his best work on Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking - his laid back bluesy style works very well.

Radio K.A.O.S. isn't really a guitar driven album so the lack of Gilmour isn't that big of a deal. Admittedly, it's also not a great album but it's pretty clever and very enjoyable to me. The concept works very well.

I love Gilmour's vocals and guitar tones but Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell, while containing a few good tunes, sounds like boring corporate rock to me - nothing at all like the innovative Pink Floyd. It kind of reminds me of the Jimmy Page/Paul Rodgers project The Firm from around the same time period, where the sum was much less than it's parts.

For those that love those albums, I'm not saying they're bad - I did select two songs from MLOR in this project (although I'm regretting one of them) - but I just see them more as Gilmour solo records than Pink Floyd records, despite the name.

Amused to Death is better than a couple of Waters era Pink Floyd albums in my opinion - an underrated gem of a record.

Roger is a jack-*** generally - but one of the most talented song writers and arrangers ever. Gilmour is a great guitarist and has pleasant vocals but without Waters there is no Pink Floyd.

@Rand al Thor come on down . . .

SWIPE RIGHT / THE WHEEL OF TIME HAS LANDED ON THEE
@Just Win Baby (17 similar songs, 10 of the same Top 10 :scream:)
@Yo Mama (17 + 8)
Friend of @PIK95 (16 + 7)
@lardonastick (16 + 7)
4 tied at 15 songs

SWIPE LEFT / DRAGON REBORN NO MORE
@jabarony (7 + 2)
@Anarchy99 (10 + 7)
5 tied with 11 songs

Ghoti - 13.85, Rand al Thor - 13.31, ericttspikes - 13.19
Mookie Gizzy - 11.94

Live Performances:

DG

A fantastic cover of this by a great band - Sky Cries Mary
Iffy start, but it turns out to be pretty great.

I was mentally prepared to have "If" ranked the highest, but I put it at 12. "Only" 12.

Way, way, back in my college years, a couple of co-workers helped take me from essentially "guy who knows Pink Floyd's radio songs" to being aware of more of their music. Naturally, "If" was an early standout for me. A song that simply connects with me, then and now. Music and lyrics both thoughful and melancholy. It's safe to say that I'll always have a soft spot for this one.
Sorry! I'm that 8.

Between Wots, If, & Free Four, my top 10 is falling fast.

#42-T - One Slip from A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (1987)

Total Points: 44 points (out of 825 possible points . . . 5.3%)
Top Rankers: @Yo Mama @Galileo @Dr. Octopus @Yambag
Highest Ranking: 12

Live Performances:

DG'S PF:
197 (DSOT, Oakland - 1994)

Covers: NFD, Brit Floyd, Julia Dream

This song, considered one of the more important on the album, is a regretful and speculative song of hindsight concerning a sexual encounter which resulted in pregnancy, thus binding 'a life to a life.'

This song is about falling in love, and how one event can change your whole life. One slip is all it takes. It is not ultimately about sex or love, but about unintended consequences. In the song, a man spots a woman across the room. Their eyes meet, and soon they are both giving in to sexual impulses. A pregnancy results, as is subtly implied with the words "soon the seeds were sewn" and "the year grew late," as well as by the sound effects at the beginning of the song which are a metaphor for sperm trying and then contacting the ovum.

The "momentary lapse of reason" is a reckless sexual indulgence, without protection, which "binds a life to a life" via the unplanned child. We know that "neither one wanted to remain alone" as the pregnancy progressed, which implies that if the pregnancy was unplanned, at least the man involved was ready to take responsibility. One Slip also included a lyric which provided the album with its title. Phil Manzanera, the guitarist from the band Roxy Music, was a key contributor on this tune.

Dave: "Phil Manzanera's a friend of mine; most of the music for One Slip came from him. We spent a couple of days throwing ideas around and this was the one that fitted the album best. I personally get uncomfortable going out on choruses. I tend to avoid it. We didn't quite do it on One Slip, which was going that way. In the end we did a chorus then went out with an instrumental. To me, [the former] is so much the pop formula that I try to avoid it."

Keyboardist Jon Carin: "When Dave gets involved with different people and situations, it brings out different aspects of his personality. Working with Phil Manzanera on One Slip, he wrote lyrics that he might not have ordinarily written."

The album gets its title from a line of this song's lyrics. It was first released as the B side for Learning to Fly. It was then re-released as the third single from the album in the UK where it was a minor hit and was the fourth single from the album in the US where it did well on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks charts (#5). Rejected titles for the album include Delusions Of Maturity, Signs Of Life, and Of Promises Broken.

This song opens with the sound of the alarm on Dave Gilmour's houseboat studio, where it was recorded in his floating studio. Sound engineer Andy Jackson explained that the alarms were triggered when he entered an incorrect code into the security system. It is the fastest song on the album. The track was the final song from the album played live when it was the first encore on the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour from 1987-89. The band resurrected the track on one show on their 1994 The Division Bell tour when the band performed it in Oakland, California.

The video for the track composed of old 1930s plane flying footage interspersed with concert footage filmed during the band's three night run at the The Omni in Atlanta, Georgia in November of 1987 directed by Lawrence Jordan (whom has directed concert films for Rush, Mariah Carey and Billy Joel). Videos for "On the Turning Away" and "The Dogs of War" were also filmed from this concert where the video for "One Slip" was filmed. It was only performed once on the 1994 TDB tour.

"One Slip (2019 Remix)" from The Later Years box set, was released as a single on Spotify, YouTube, and iTunes.The song contains newly recorded drums by Nick Mason and organ parts by Richard Wright lifted from 1987-89 live performances, replacing the song's original drum and keyboard parts.

Vulture Ranking (out of 165 songs): 66
Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 167 songs): 112
Ranker Ranking (out of 132 songs): 60

Vulture Ranking (66 out of 165 songs): This is a silly song, but the production and performance meld in a way few other songs do on this lame album.

UCR Ranking (112 out of 167 songs): Could a recording sound any more like 1987? Between the video arcade’s worth of bleeps and the dreaded Chapman Stick, the melody of One Slip (written by Gilmour with Phil Manzanera) shines through the “modern” sheen. The cliche-riddled lyrics still ring hollow, however, and “whirled without end” is an unforgivable pun.

Next up . . . would you like to learn to fly?

I didn't rank One Slip, but I always like this one a lot.

The comments of that UCR Ranking are beyond stupid. The Chapman Stick, generally speaking, is awesome, but critics love to bash progressive bands for using anything different than guitar, bass and drums (yet say nada when bands they love use them).

Wow. I guess I just have a sh!tty sense of what good music is. I never realized there was this much disdain for AMLOR. I had One Slip at 13 on my list and other AMLOR even higher. '87-'88 was my sophomore year of college, probably the peak year of my various substance abuses, and the year I was able to see Pink Floyd twice in concert. Late high school-early college were the years I was really just gaining exposure to Pink Floyd, and I was excited to have new release material to listen to. Perhaps it is just because of the timing in my life, but I enjoy this album and this song (and what appears to be the next song even more). I never realized there was so much negative criticism.

Wow. I guess I just have a sh!tty sense of what good music is. I never realized there was this much disdain for AMLOR. I had One Slip at 13 on my list and other AMLOR even higher. '87-'88 was my sophomore year of college, probably the peak year of my various substance abuses, and the year I was able to see Pink Floyd twice in concert. Late high school-early college were the years I was really just gaining exposure to Pink Floyd, and I was excited to have new release material to listen to. Perhaps it is just because of the timing in my life, but I enjoy this album and this song (and what appears to be the next song even more). I never realized there was so much negative criticism.

I think age and timing have everything to do with feelings on AMLOR. I'm with you for the most part. I like the album a lot, but I was also introduced to it before much of the earlier stuff.

One Slip fell just outside my top 25, for the record. It's good one.

I do like the majority of One Slip, but the funky bass at about 3:00 in, and near the end of the song, ruin it for me.

Another OBC track that just missed my list. When I read the A Saucerful of Secrets bio in the late '80s, I was surprised to learn that at the time, Free Four was the band's first song to get US radio airplay since the Syd era. The FM stations I listened to in the '80s never played it -- but they did play One of These Days, which predated it. The lyrics are excellent and I don't have anything to add about them beyond what's been said. The music is jaunty and has some pretty cool guitar solos, plus Waters doesn't sound flat or annoying.

This is the Momentary track that most reminds you that the album came out in the '80s. Despite the sound effects in the beginning, much of the backing track resembles Phil Collins (or the more processed tracks of DG's About Face) more than '70s Floyd. That said, it's got a good chorus and I think the funky bass interludes enhance the song. Phil Manzanera was in DG's backing band when I saw him in 2006.

Next up . . . would you like to learn to fly?

Earlier than I expected -- but we still have a ton of warhorses to get to, so I get it.

ETA: Unless this is a reference to the Wall song with that lyric. In which case it's ranked about where I expected.

I don't think it's "disdain", it's just preference. Post-Waters Floyd sounds like "Pink Floyd Light" to me. I still like the music, but it doesn't grab me the same way.

#44-T - Free Four from Obscured By Clouds (1972)

Appeared On: 3 ballots (out of 33 . . . 9.1%)
Top Rankers: @jabarony @Anarchy99 @Mookie Gizzy
Highest Ranking: 7

Covers: Rosebud, BillDozer, Blue Aeroplanes, Relics Of Floyd, Smoke Break, Christopher Shaw, Academia do Rock Juvevê

The song takes its name from the traditional rock and roll countdown at the start of the song "one, two, free, four..." The song deals with themes that would become standard for Waters in albums following this, notably his father's death and the "evils" of the record industry. It's about how our lives pass by - most of the time with no real effect on the cycle by which we all live and pass. Free Four is the only song off Obscured By Clouds sung by Roger.

Though the song's mellow during the lyrical portions, the guitar solo surprisingly launches into a heavier tone, with progression that's reminiscent of "One Of These Days", capturing the classic Pink Floyd guitar sound. Free Four was released as a single in 1972 and managed to break into FM radio's Top 50 list. It was the last thing PF released prior to DSOTM, which clearly changed the fortunes and stature of the band.

Free Four was the first Pink Floyd song since See Emily Play to attract significant airplay in the US, and the second (after Corporal Clegg) to refer to the death of Waters' father during World War II. The band felt it was suitable for AM radio. The music begins in an upbeat manner, while the lyrics tell a very cynical and somewhat depressing story. The song charted at number 29 in the Netherlands and 35 in Belgium. Cashbox reviewed the single saying "Would you believe a happy song about death?" Record World said that it "is not only musically excellent but also accessible and commercial enough to hit as a single."

AllMusic had this to say: "Although the song has been largely forgotten thanks to the much more commercially successful DSOTM and its equally well-known follow-ups, 1972's Free Four was the first PF song to garner much American radio airplay on the free-form stations that one would have considered a natural for the group's longer explorations. It seems to be an entirely atypical choice for airplay, as it's one of Floyd's most musically anomalous songs. An almost jaunty, Kinks-like shuffle with a melody that sounds like solo Paul McCartney decorated by dive-bombing fuzz guitar riffs and hand claps that recall T. Rex's classic singles, Free Four sounds like it could almost be a follow-up to Mungo Jerry's In the Summertime. That is, until one notices that the lyrics are both a follow-up to Roger's earlier track about his father's death in WWII, Corporal Clegg, and a precursor to the bitterness and cynicism that permeates everything from Animals to The Final Cut, bitterly masked by the catchy little pop tune. It's a clever trick, and a song that's surprisingly effective on both levels."

The version of this song in the movie is different, replacing the lyrics of the third verse with: So take my advice and cut yourself a slice / And try not to make it too big / Cause things are hard to grow / And I can tell you, cause I know / It's better not to make yourself sick. (That version is on the Works album). The song song has never been performed live.

Vulture Ranking (out of 165 songs): 33
Ultimate Classic Rock Ranking (out of 167 songs): 53
Louder Ranking (out of 50 songs): 50
Ranker Ranking (out of 132 songs): NR
Billboard Ranking (out of 50 songs): 27

Vulture Ranking (33 out of 165 songs): This is a pretty funny song, which ended up on the soundtrack to The Valley. A lot of rock fans from the era will dimly remember this track — which was a single — but won’t be able to tell you the name of the band. It has a guitar sound out of Spirit in the Sky and a nice sing-along feel; Gilmour contributes a shocker of a solo, which doesn’t really fit with the rest. Lyrically it’s another step forward for Waters, head and shoulders above anything else the band had done before, a mordant meditation on life, death, war, work, and capitalism, with what I think is the first reference to the death of his father, which would take on more and more importance in his work to come.

UCR Ranking (53 out of 167 songs): This folk-rock toe-tapper becomes distinctively Floydian with its steady rumble of VCS3 synthesizer, almost incongruous rock guitar solos and morbid observations by singer and songwriter Waters. He fixates on death, regret, his father and the music industry (all themes that would appear again soon in the band’s more renowned albums), but belies all the darkness with the Free Four's jaunty bounce.

Louder Ranking (50 out of 50 songs): Pink Floyd’s 1975 song Welcome To The Machine has always been the moment listeners first realized how disenfranchised Roger Waters had become. But it didn’t happen overnight. The lyrics to Free Four were thoroughly bleak, but disguised in a brisk, almost country rock song. Free Four is the first Pink Floyd song to reference Waters’s father. Eric Fletcher Waters was a soldier in the 8th Royal Fusiliers, killed during the Second World War when his son was just five months old. ‘I am the dead man’s son,’ sings Waters, ‘And he was buried like a mole in a fox hole.’ Waters’s questioning lyric continues over the song’s near hypnotic, seesawing rhythm and David Gilmour’s spitting guitar solos. ‘You shuffle in gloom to the sickroom/And talk to yourself ’til you die,’ offers the final pay-off line in a song whose lyrics are as despondent as its music is upbeat.

Billboard Ranking (27 out of 50 songs): P. Rex! Pink Floyd didn’t exactly have a ton of natural overlap with the concurrent glam rock explosion as they finished their own ascent to U.K. rock primacy, but this Obscured By Clouds single borrows Electric Warrior‘s jaunty handclaps and hip-swaying boogie — though it’s clearly set apart by a searing Gilmour mini-solo, a gently foreboding Waters vocal (“You are the angel of death!“) and synth bombs detonated at the end of each line by Wright. It’s a fiendish concoction, and one of the most purely likeable things the Floyd did in the ’70s.

They'll be no sleep in here tonight until we get to our next song.
Good song for sure

Users who are viewing this thread