What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBI lies to judge, steals, and generally acts like extortionists in california case. (1 Viewer)

This isnt everything since this is incredibly annoying to copy and paste on my crappy phone. There is an ad in between every two paragraphs. I encourage people to find a way to read the whole thing. I dont have an LA times subscription, but i havent viewed any articles by them for a while.

The privacy invasion was vast when FBI agents drilled and pried their way into 1,400 safe-deposit boxes at the U.S. Private Vaults store in Beverly Hills.

They rummaged through personal belongings of a jazz saxophone player, an interior designer, a retired doctor, a flooring contractor, two Century City lawyers and hundreds of others.

Agents took photos and videos of pay stubs, password lists, credit cards, a prenuptial agreement, immigration and vaccination records, bank statements, heirlooms and a will, court records show. In one box, agents found cremated human remains.

Eighteen months later, newly unsealed court documents show that the FBI and U.S. attorney’s office in Los Angeles got their warrant for that raid by misleading the judge who approved it.

They omitted from their warrant request a central part of the FBI’s plan: Permanent confiscation of everything inside every box containing at least $5,000 in cash or goods, a senior FBI agent recently testified.

The FBI’s justification for the dragnet forfeiture was its presumption that hundreds of unknown box holders were all storing assets somehow tied to unknown crimes, court records show.

It took five days for scores of agents to fill their evidence bags with the bounty: More than $86 million in cash and a bonanza of gold, silver, rare coins, gem-studded jewelry and enough Rolex and Cartier watches to stock a boutique.

The U.S. attorney’s office has tried to block public disclosure of court papers that laid bare the government’s deception, but a judge rejected its request to keep them under seal.

The failure to disclose the confiscation plan in the warrant request came to light in FBI documents and depositions of agents in a class-action lawsuit by box holders who say the raid violated their rights.

The court filings also show that federal agents defied restrictions that U.S. Magistrate Judge Steve Kim set in the warrant by searching through box holders’ belongings for evidence of crimes.

“The government did not know what was in those boxes, who owned them, or what, if anything, those people had done,” Robert Frommer, a lawyer who represents nearly 400 box holders in the class-action case, wrote in court papers.

“That’s why the warrant application did not even attempt to argue there was probable cause to seize and forfeit box renters’ property.”

After a two-year investigation that opened in 2019, leaders of the FBI’s Los Angeles office believed U.S. Private Vaults was a magnet for criminals hiding illicit proceeds in their boxes.

The FBI and U.S. attorney’s office denied that they misled the judge or ignored his conditions, saying they had no obligation to tell him of the plan for indiscriminate confiscations on the blanket assumption that every customer was hiding crime-tainted assets.

FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said the warrants were lawfully executed “based on allegations of widespread criminal wrongdoing.”

“At no time was a magistrate misled as to the probable cause used to obtain the warrants,” she said.

U.S. Private Vaults has pleaded guilty to conspiracy to launder drug money, and the investigation is continuing, she said.

Tell us what didn’t happen? Seems clearly inappropriate of the FBI to omit information. What does that have to do with liberals?

Trumpists are so entrenched they think everyone is similarly entrenched. Must be confusing when not everyone behaves like them.

The Trump haters are the most obsessed and hateful group that I have ever seen in a political movement here in the US. I have never seen a group so determined to get a pound of flesh from anyone who gets in their way.
I don't like people who try and destroy my country. I wasn't particularly kind to Osama Bin Laden either.

ETA: To clarify, I'm referring to Donald J Trump as a person who tried to destroy my country.

Last edited:
Trumpists are so entrenched they think everyone is similarly entrenched. Must be confusing when not everyone behaves like them.

The Trump haters are the most obsessed and hateful group that I have ever seen in a political movement here in the US. I have never seen a group so determined to get a pound of flesh from anyone who gets in their way.
I don't like people who try and destroy my country. I wasn't particularly kind to Osama Bin Laden either.
Trumpers have not tried to destroy this country. Such an obscene hyperbole that has no basis. I am so sick of the gross mischaracterization of what Jan 6th was. There were no guns. They did not kill anyone. There was no coordinate plot to overthrow the government. It was one big lie after one big lie

Trumpers have not tried to destroy this country. Such an obscene hyperbole that has no basis. I am so sick of the gross mischaracterization of what Jan 6th was. There were no guns. They did not kill anyone. There was no coordinate plot to overthrow the government. It was one big lie after one big lie
They only beat up a bunch of cops and broke into a building. No big deal. Shrug emoji

To clarify I was referring to Trump himself. Not his fanbois.

Ashli Babbitt, an Air Force veteran, was fatally shot by a Capitol Police officer as rioters tried to breach the House chamber.

Kevin D. Greeson died of a heart attack, collapsing on the sidewalk west of the Capitol on Jan. 6.

Rosanne Boyland appeared to have been crushed in a stampede of fellow rioters as they surged against the police.

Benjamin Philips, the founder of a pro-Trump website called Trumparoo, died of a stroke.

Mr. Greeson and Mr. Philips died of natural causes, the Washington medical examiner said in April. He added that Ms. Boyland’s death was caused by an accidental overdose.

In the days and weeks after the riot, five police officers who had served at the Capitol on Jan. 6 died.

Officer Brian D. Sicknick of the Capitol Police, who was attacked by the mob, died on Jan. 7.

Officer Jeffrey Smith of the Metropolitan Police Department killed himself after the attack.

Officer Howard S. Liebengood of the Capitol Police also died by suicide four days afterward.

The Capitol Police had previously said that Officer Sicknick died from injuries sustained “while physically engaging with protesters.” The Washington medical examiner later ruled that he had died of natural causes: multiple strokes that occurred hours after Officer Sicknick’s confrontation with the mob. The medical examiner added, however, that “all that transpired played a role in his condition.”

A bipartisan Senate report, released in June, found that the seven deaths were connected to the Capitol attack. But the report was issued a month before two Metropolitan Police officers — Gunther Hashida and Kyle DeFreytag — died by suicide in July.

The police agencies have not classified the four total suicides as “line of duty” deaths that would provide the victims’ families with enhanced benefits. Washington law excludes suicide deaths from the line-of-duty designation.

There was no coordinate plot to overthrow the government
this will not age well.
I agree the plot to overthrow the government was uncoordinated. Thankfully.
lol... this might not age well either after seeing those 60 minutes clips on Twitter an hour ago.
Haven't watched it yet cause I'm watching Denver and SF not score touchdowns. I'm aware there was a call. Overall though, I'm thinking it wasn't coordinated that well since it failed to work.

this will not age well.
lol... this might not age well either after seeing those 60 minutes clips on Twitter an hour ago.
Link

Can't stop laughing at MJT requesting "Marshall Law".

Pretty disgusting.

Liberals please tell us how this didnt really happen.
What's your point?
Hi. Rubiobot. Welcome to the thread. I look forward to your valuable contributions.

I thought this story was pretty crazy. I mean they basically just stole tons of money. They lied. Extorted. I mean just terrible people involved here.

Lots of them.

I know you usually bring a ton of knowledge to these threads, so perhaps you can share with us how the FBI works here. Where does the money go? How many agents involved? How high up? How often do they do this?

Pretty disgusting.

What's your point?
Hi. Rubiobot. Welcome to the thread. I look forward to your valuable contributions.

I thought this story was pretty crazy. I mean they basically just stole tons of money. They lied. Extorted. I mean just terrible people involved here.

Lots of them.

I know you usually bring a ton of knowledge to these threads, so perhaps you can share with us how the FBI works here. Where does the money go? How many agents involved? How high up? How often do they do this?
I don't know about the FBI specifically, but I do know that regional police sometimes get to keep stuff they seize. Assume it's same here. Seems like a couple agents were running their own grift here, piggy backed on an actual investigation. This was a huge overreach going after all the other boxes. And they probably did it for monetary reasons IMO.

this will not age well.
Link

Can't stop laughing at MJT requesting "Marshall Law".
I can't help but shake my head she has power and influence.

Pretty disgusting.

What's your point?

Lots of them.

Its a long article so I just skimmed through it, but the following was in it:

FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said the warrants were lawfully executed “based on allegations of widespread criminal wrongdoing.”

“At no time was a magistrate misled as to the probable cause used to obtain the warrants,” she said.

U.S. Private Vaults has pleaded guilty to conspiracy to launder drug money, and the investigation is continuing, she said.

The investigation is ongoing, so it hasn't been determined if money was "stolen" unless I missed something. I would have to see something ruled on by a judge to answer that.

Where does the money go when it is seized? I don't know. If a judge says the raid was unconstitutional they will have to give the money back but I don't think that has been proven.

How many agents? For something like money laundering and drugs it's probably a lot but I don't know for sure. Same with how high up.

When you say how often do they do this...can you be more specific about what you mean by "this"?

trust the FBI, DOJ, Fed Govt ........... trust them, isn't that what we've been told over and over? they have no reason to lie, to cheat, to do things wrong ....

Of course the FBI paid spokesperson would word it this way.

That is a classic politician like answer that doesn't address the accusation. Designed to be used and abused by those on the team.

Their probable cause was suspected criminal activity. If course they didn't mislead about that.

It's the scope that is the problem here and the guarantees that the FBI had zero intention of following through on.

Pretty disgusting.

What's your point?

Lots of them.

Its a long article so I just skimmed through it, but the following was in it:

The investigation is ongoing, so it hasn't been determined if money was "stolen" unless I missed something. I would have to see something ruled on by a judge to answer that.

Where does the money go when it is seized? I don't know. If a judge says the raid was unconstitutional they will have to give the money back but I don't think that has been proven.

How many agents? For something like money laundering and drugs it's probably a lot but I don't know for sure. Same with how high up.

When you say how often do they do this...can you be more specific about what you mean by "this"?
The biggest thing that I see here is that the warrant was pretty specific on not including the contents. Yet the boxes were searched and content seized, which undoubtedly ensnared innocent folks storing valuables there. The FBI, if the reports are accurate, clearly exceeded the scope of the warrant directives and should be slapped down over that issue.

For someone who follows the issues so closely, you are extremely ill informed.

You got one part about Jan 6th correct.

Haven't liberals historically been opposed to civil forfeiture laws and practices?

Zow beat me to it. Libertarians hate it. Where the left seeks to restrict police power, then yes, they hate civil forfeiture laws and practices, but that's not like saying a mainstream Democrat has problems with it. You're only finding it on the opposite ends of the spectrum, and largely for different practical reasons, though they overlap a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread