What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Felix Jones hype (1 Viewer)

I think Barber is a safe Top 10 RB. He's produced there the past two seasons despite being in a timeshare. If he gets more touches his potential increases. But at worst, barring injury, he should be a rock-solid Top 10 RB in my opinion.For Jones to crack the Top 20 (barring an injury to Barber) I think he'll need either a healthy number of touchdowns and/or a healthy number of touches. I don't see him catching 75 passes the way you do. The Cowboys have never shown much of an inclination to throw to their RBs the past couple of years and while Jones presents a different option than what they've had I don't see them nearly doubling the number of receptions their RBs have been receiving. If I end up drafting Jones I hope you're right but it's extremely difficult for me to project more than 40 receptions for him at this time.
They threw combined to Jones and Barber like 60 times last year. Barber himself had over 40. The Boys throw to their backs. Plus Felix will take some catches from Witten.
You think Jones is going to be stealing targets from Witten? On what basis?
Plays they've been running in camp. Plus, Witten has basically been their #2 WR, since they've had no one else. Part of the reason they targeted Jones was because they felt he was a great receiver. He can do far more with the ball in his hands than Witten can.Barber never had more than 25 receptions in a season prior to last year, it's not really reasonable to expect him to be near 40 again. Part of Felix's receptions will come from the RB role, and part will come as a WR.I'm totally fine with no one on these boards believing it. It will make it that much more enjoyable when Felix does so well. I'm guessing Jones is going to be this year's Addai... and that people will be knocking him for years because they were wrong about him.

Just change Julius to Felix and 2007 to 2008 and then read below:

September 11, 2007, 11:03

Cowboys :: RB

RB Jones Could See Red Zone Action

Calvin Watkins, Dallas Morning News - [Full Article]

The roles of Cowboys running backs Julius Jones and Marion Barber III will remain mostly the same according to HC Wade Phillips. Jones had 16 carries for 65 yards while Barber III had 11 carries for 65 and a touchdown Sunday night against the Giants. However, Phillips also said that Jones will see a little bit more time in the red zone, which has been typically reserved for Barber III.

August 29, 2007, 11:21

Roles Of Cowboys RB Jones, RB Barber Won't Change

Chad Peters, San Antonio Express-News - [Full Article]

Dallas HC Wade Phillips said he will likely keep the two-back system between RB Julius Jones and RB Marion Barber III. Meaning Jones will carry the bulk of the load in between the 20-yard lines, and Barber will come in on third downs and goal-line situations. "It used to be you had one running back," Phillips said. "Now it's changed where a lot of teams have been able to utilize two good backs. That's the situation I've walked into and I think it's a good situation..... So we're going to try to utilize both of them."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 18, 2007, 20:33

Just Like 2006, RB Barber III Shines Near Endzone

Chris Smith, Footballguys.com

In the Cowboys/Broncos preseason tilt, RB Marion Barber III plunged in from one-yard out, showing once again that he is clearly the best option in the goalline offense for the Cowboys. He is very difficult to contain when the endzone is in sight. It looks like a one-two punch with both Julius Jones and Barber III seeing playing time once again this year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 20, 2007, 01:21

Cowboys Pre-Camp Positional Preview: RB

Rob Phillips, DallasCowboys.com - [Full Article]

Rob Phillips at DallasCowboys.com breaks down the running back position for the team heading into Training Camp. He writes that the Cowboys are expected to continue their running back by-committee approach in 2007, with RB Julius Jones, RB Marion Barber III and RB Tyson Thompson could all see significant playing time.

I think Barber is a safe Top 10 RB. He's produced there the past two seasons despite being in a timeshare. If he gets more touches his potential increases. But at worst, barring injury, he should be a rock-solid Top 10 RB in my opinion.For Jones to crack the Top 20 (barring an injury to Barber) I think he'll need either a healthy number of touchdowns and/or a healthy number of touches. I don't see him catching 75 passes the way you do. The Cowboys have never shown much of an inclination to throw to their RBs the past couple of years and while Jones presents a different option than what they've had I don't see them nearly doubling the number of receptions their RBs have been receiving. If I end up drafting Jones I hope you're right but it's extremely difficult for me to project more than 40 receptions for him at this time.
They threw combined to Jones and Barber like 60 times last year. Barber himself had over 40. The Boys throw to their backs. Plus Felix will take some catches from Witten.
Plays they've been running in camp. Plus, Witten has basically been their #2 WR, since they've had no one else. Part of the reason they targeted Jones was because they felt he was a great receiver. He can do far more with the ball in his hands than Witten can.Barber never had more than 25 receptions in a season prior to last year, it's not really reasonable to expect him to be near 40 again. Part of Felix's receptions will come from the RB role, and part will come as a WR.I'm totally fine with no one on these boards believing it. It will make it that much more enjoyable when Felix does so well. I'm guessing Jones is going to be this year's Addai... and that people will be knocking him for years because they were wrong about him.
I'm just not seeing that instead of throwing to an All-Pro TE, they're going to start dumping it off to a rookie RB. Just doesn't pass the smell test to me. But that's why they play the games, right?

I'm totally fine with no one on these boards believing it. It will make it that much more enjoyable when Felix does so well. I'm guessing Jones is going to be this year's Addai... and that people will be knocking him for years because they were wrong about him.
What about those of us who like him a lot but don't believe he's going to catch 75 passes in his rookie season? :(

Plays they've been running in camp. Plus, Witten has basically been their #2 WR, since they've had no one else. Part of the reason they targeted Jones was because they felt he was a great receiver. He can do far more with the ball in his hands than Witten can.
I doubt Jones has the abilty to be the pass catcher Witten is. I just dont see a rookie RB taking many catches away from one of the best TE's in the leage.

I think Barber is a safe Top 10 RB. He's produced there the past two seasons despite being in a timeshare. If he gets more touches his potential increases. But at worst, barring injury, he should be a rock-solid Top 10 RB in my opinion.

For Jones to crack the Top 20 (barring an injury to Barber) I think he'll need either a healthy number of touchdowns and/or a healthy number of touches. I don't see him catching 75 passes the way you do. The Cowboys have never shown much of an inclination to throw to their RBs the past couple of years and while Jones presents a different option than what they've had I don't see them nearly doubling the number of receptions their RBs have been receiving. If I end up drafting Jones I hope you're right but it's extremely difficult for me to project more than 40 receptions for him at this time.
Plays they've been running in camp. Plus, Witten has basically been their #2 WR, since they've had no one else. Part of the reason they targeted Jones was because they felt he was a great receiver. He can do far more with the ball in his hands than Witten can.Barber never had more than 25 receptions in a season prior to last year, it's not really reasonable to expect him to be near 40 again. Part of Felix's receptions will come from the RB role, and part will come as a WR.

I'm totally fine with no one on these boards believing it. It will make it that much more enjoyable when Felix does so well. I'm guessing Jones is going to be this year's Addai... and that people will be knocking him for years because they were wrong about him.
So how many practices did you attend?

Plays they've been running in camp.
None, I don't live in Dallas. Just going by what friends have told me, and camp reports I've read. I can't be everywhere at once :yes: I trust the guys I get info from, they've been on before. Of course, not everything they run in camp makes it to the regular season, but they really want Felix to touch the ball a lot.

Plays they've been running in camp.
None, I don't live in Dallas. Just going by what friends have told me, and camp reports I've read. I can't be everywhere at once :lmao: I trust the guys I get info from, they've been on before. Of course, not everything they run in camp makes it to the regular season, but they really want Felix to touch the ball a lot.
Well camp was in Oxnard, CA so I don't know how much your friends may have seen if they live in Dallas . Sounds like you need to work on your 40 time though. I hear Chris Johnson is so fast he CAN be everywhere at once.It's cool man. I do like Felix alot. I just don't think he will top 50 receiptions this year. Down the road yes, but not this year.

What about those of us who like him a lot but don't believe he's going to catch 75 passes in his rookie season? :P
i wouldn't see why not, after all, rookie RBs have caught 75+ passes 4 times in the past 47 years, so there's plenty of precedent. and none of them can parallel the incredible receiving talent that is.....Felix Jones.

Users who are viewing this thread