What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Felix Jones traded to Steelers (1 Viewer)

Last I heard is that people were saying he has lost a step and might have even been cut

Edit:

Rotoworld

The Philadelphia Inquirer doesn't project Felix Jones to make the Eagles' 53-man roster.
The Inquirer goes so far as to say Jones' "career might be over." The former first-rounder just turned 26 years old, but his explosion has been sapped. He's no higher than No. 4 on the depth chart, and the Eagles may keep just three backs. Jones rushed for 31 yards on eight carries in the preseason opener.

Felix Jones "hasn't done anything to stand out" at Eagles training camp.
Jones is only 26 years old, but it's fair to wonder if the former Cowboys first-rounder's explosiveness has been lost for good. He's getting outplayed in Eagles camp by Chris Polk, and currently appears to be the No. 4 running back

Last edited by a moderator:
Last I heard is that people were saying he has lost a step and might have even been cut
He was going to be cut - McCoy, Brown, and Polk are going to be their RB's. This speaks volumes about how awful the Steelers are at RB. 2012 was no myth, those guys are terrible...a guy that was going to be cut from Philly may be the best option on the other side of the state. Amazing.

Felix Jones was clearly sent down on this earth to torment me. He's by far my most expensive mistake in FF to date and I no sooner clear him off all my rosters, after five years, than he's traded for by a team with a wide open opportunity at RB.

Apropos nothing.

Long Ball Larry said:
JohnnyU said:
He's a better option than anything else they currently have on their team.
I'm not sure that that's true any more. Did not look that great in his limited action this preseason. Hard to know for sure, of course.
That goes to show you how bad every RB on that roster truly is.

Long Ball Larry said:
I'm not sure that that's true any more. Did not look that great in his limited action this preseason. Hard to know for sure, of course.
It's probably true, if we're talking about "pure running talent"....but that's more an indictment of the rest of the Steelers runners. Jones has his own issues too(staying healthy, etc).

I still hope Stephens-Howling gets a crack at running with the ones. He has the vision necessary for the scheme and can move. It's almost a certainty that Tomlin with roll out Redman as the starter though. *Vom*

Redman/Dwyer are uber-plodders that have already proven what they are capable of to me. Jones is probably just a flier they're taking. If he hits, great. If not, it cost practically nothing.

Probably my last chance to trade him and get anything for him. Problem is what I could get will be so low that he still won't be worth trading.

@JordanRaanan: Here's what you need to know about Felix Jones: he's toast, can't catch, no explosion. #eagles #Steelers
Sorry. There are a lot of problems with Felix (and god knows I've watched them all up close over the last five years as he killed space on every single one of my rosters), but "can't catch" isn't one of them.

He's a phenomenal receiver -- he's caught 81% of his career targets, for an average of 8.4 yards. In actual NFL games.

Someone who doesn't have a clue what they're talking about is just trying to kick the guy on his way out of town.

MAC_32 said:
lexdizzle said:
He was going to be cut - McCoy, Brown, and Polk are going to be their RB's. This speaks volumes about how awful the Steelers are at RB. 2012 was no myth, those guys are terrible...a guy that was going to be cut from Philly may be the best option on the other side of the state. Amazing.
Maybe Pitt was gonna drop Robinson and figured they would give felix a shot for the next week?

Not like Pitt gave up anything imo

This makes me think that Bell's injury is more serious then the Steelers are leading on. You don't trade for a guy that is going to be cut, if you think your guy will be out the first 4 to 6 games or less.

This makes me think that Bell's injury is more serious then the Steelers are leading on. You don't trade for a guy that is going to be cut, if you think your guy will be out the first 4 to 6 games or less.
Unless you are trading a guy you plan on cutting. :shrug:

Pittsburgh running backs are dinged up: LSH has a minor MCL sprain. Batch and Redman have stingers. With Bell out for a while, they are going to need a body just to get through the pre-season games.

I would guess that the competition for the last remaining roster spot will be between Jones and Batch.

Pittsburgh running backs are dinged up: LSH has a minor MCL sprain. Batch and Redman have stingers. With Bell out for a while, they are going to need a body just to get through the pre-season games.

I would guess that the competition for the last remaining roster spot will be between Jones and Batch.
Yep. Batch and Jones could both be cut. They are just short on bodies, traded a cut guy for another cut guy as a tryout. I also posted in the Steelers thread that I think this also speaks to the expected use of LSH, the RB that Jones most closely resembles.

JohnnyU said:
He's a better option than anything else they currently have on their team.
Dwyer at this stage in their careers is the superior runner. I remember reading that Felix was specifically having an awful camp and don't think there is any fantasy relevance here tbh other than the fact that I will now undoubtedly avoid this backfield at all costs.

Long Ball Larry said:
It's probably true, if we're talking about "pure running talent"....but that's more an indictment of the rest of the Steelers runners. Jones has his own issues too(staying healthy, etc).

I still hope Stephens-Howling gets a crack at running with the ones. He has the vision necessary for the scheme and can move. It's almost a certainty that Tomlin with roll out Redman as the starter though. *Vom*

Redman/Dwyer are uber-plodders that have already proven what they are capable of to me. Jones is probably just a flier they're taking. If he hits, great. If not, it cost practically nothing.
This

If Jones' explosion is gone, then he's got nothing to offer. His vision sucks, and it was terrible with Dallas. No explosion, no vision, he's done.....

And I also am intrigued with Hyphen. At least he hits holes hard....

They saved on airfare too. Let's not discount that!

Probably a tryout move for Felix from Steelers end. Can cut him before Week 1 & bring back during season if Dwyer/Redman/LSH aren't healthy.

Hard to see where he fits otherwise.

@JordanRaanan: Here's what you need to know about Felix Jones: he's toast, can't catch, no explosion. #eagles #Steelers
Sorry. There are a lot of problems with Felix (and god knows I've watched them all up close over the last five years as he killed space on every single one of my rosters), but "can't catch" isn't one of them.

He's a phenomenal receiver -- he's caught 81% of his career targets, for an average of 8.4 yards. In actual NFL games.

Someone who doesn't have a clue what they're talking about is just trying to kick the guy on his way out of town.
May have been true in the past, but every report I've read out of Eagles' camp/practices was Felix dropping balls and looking terrible. He was going to be cut.

Yep. Batch and Jones could both be cut. They are just short on bodies, traded a cut guy for another cut guy as a tryout. I also posted in the Steelers thread that I think this also speaks to the expected use of LSH, the RB that Jones most closely resembles.
:goodposting:

I would guess the Steelers did not trade for Felix if they thought they were not inclined to keep him or least go into this with that intention. That team values draft picks way to much. I'd assume they surrended a 7th so on one hand that's not much but this is also the same team and same GM who gave up Holmes for a 5th rounder. And yes I understand Holmes was a head case the Steelers wanted him gone and would have been suspended the first 4 weeks but that's pretty much giving him away.

I'm a Steeler's fan and Razorback fan. So when a ex-hog lands in Pittsurgh I get a happy feeling and if that guy is fantasy relevant I'm just beside myself with joy. In this case I don't see it happening. I think Felix has got a bum rap for being fragile. Not that he does not seem to always have an injury, but what he has not got nearly enough credit for these past two seasons is how tough he's been playing through some bad injuries. The seperated shoulder in 2011 and he gutted through bad knee pain last year when Demarco was out. I think that's not lost on the Steelers either, for all of Felix's injuries-and their are a lot of them, he's made valiant efforts to play through the pain. I'm just afraid it's taken his toll on him physicallly. His explosion seems off, looks like a guy a few years older whose been carrying a heavy load. He's been miscast as feature back but he has evolved into a very good pass blocker and if he can get some of his explosion back can be a nice third down/COP back. Won't be counting on it but I'll be rooting for him.

I would guess the Steelers did not trade for Felix if they thought they were not inclined to keep him or least go into this with that intention. That team values draft picks way to much. I'd assume they surrended a 7th so on one hand that's not much
Who said anything about giving up a draft pick?

I would guess the Steelers did not trade for Felix if they thought they were not inclined to keep him or least go into this with that intention. That team values draft picks way to much. I'd assume they surrended a 7th so on one hand that's not much
Yeah, not sure where he saw that. As far as I understand it, it was a 1-for-1 swap for Adrian Robinson, who was at least 50/50 to be cut anyway.

Was it really neccessary to make a post to discuss that? That's why these boards are so hard to read sometimes, useless blather.

When someone says they assume, it means they don't know, they are taking a guess based on limited info. In this case I did not know they traded Robinson or any player and since you don't trade players for nothing I assumed they would have given up the minimum possible draft pick which was a 7th.

So I was wrong on my assumption. You feel better now that I explained that?

Maybe Pitt was gonna drop Robinson and figured they would give felix a shot for the next week?
This it what a few of the beat writers from Pitty are opining. Robinson was probably a dead man walking because he isn't a good player on teams.

switz still around?
I'm sort of embarrassed to admit that this was one of my first thoughts when I saw this thread. :) I'm almost disappointed he isn't in here.

Was it really neccessary to make a post to discuss that? That's why these boards are so hard to read sometimes, useless blather.
I don't think it was unnecessary. You said the team would not waste a draft pick and then assumed it was a 7th round pick that was traded. He asked where you had heard that, as no one else had mentioned draft picks and it could have been new relevant information. Seems your post was more unnecessary than his, and now I'm just adding to the nonsense.

I don't think it was unnecessary. You said the team would not waste a draft pick and then assumed it was a 7th round pick that was traded. He asked where you had heard that, as no one else had mentioned draft picks and it could have been new relevant information. Seems your post was more unnecessary than his, and now I'm just adding to the nonsense.
Yep

When someone says they assume, it means they don't know, they are taking a guess based on limited info. In this case I did not know they traded Robinson or any player and since you don't trade players for nothing I assumed they would have given up the minimum possible draft pick which was a 7th.

Deep breath.

Why would you even make such a post without knowing the basic facts of what you are posting about? It literally took me less than 30 seconds to Google it and ascertain the details of the trade, even on my phone.

And then for you to come back and make this reply to call him out makes you come off pretty poorly.

OK. Then please... stop.

It was a near-nobody for a near-nobody. A 1 for 1. I don't know Philly's reasoning. I can assume Pitt needed another back to be a relief pitcher for the preseason, and since their RBs are pretty shoddy anyways, it could be a close-your-eyes-and-swing-for-the-fence on a former high draft pick RB. I think most of us feel that Felix is well behind a healthy Bell and LSH, and probably behind Redman and Dwyer, in competition with Batch. Now, if the Steelers go into the regular season with 5 RBs on the 53, one is probably of the FB variety, so pick 4 of the above. Obviously you have some Hog-colored glasses and like Felix more than most of us. Most of us think he is the #3 at best and 4 or 5 if all are healthy, and in danger of not making the roster.

Not a bad piece of business for the Steelers.Gives them a little more RB depth and Robinson wasn,t lighting the place up.

Users who are viewing this thread