What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Fantasy Hockey 2013-2014 sign up thread (1 Viewer)

Sorry Aaron, I am now out. Sons football game has been rescheuled from Sun to Mon night

Next time!

Bill Brasky said:
thoughts on going 8 by 4?

skaters: G, A, Pts, PPP, +/-, PIM, Hits, SOG

goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
this looks interesting. I've never done hits.

the other option to make goalie less valuable is to drop shutouts out.
going to stick with those 8 categories for skaters. looks like TSN projects for the same exact categories so that's good enough for me.

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?ID=105165

the reason I don't want to drop shutouts is because it makes the ratio stats too important and thus creates a lot of incentive to sit goalies in bad matchups. we could replace it with saves, but some people don't like that category.

Speaking of random, any thoughts on hits rather than PIM?
I would not mind both but I think we need to reverse the PIM scoring. Least PIM's get the highest score. I am all for fighting but I hate having to put one dimensional players with no other value on my league. Plus if your guy gets a 10 game mis. It is a positive thing. It should not be a positive thing.

Speaking of random, any thoughts on hits rather than PIM?
I would not mind both but I think we need to reverse the PIM scoring. Least PIM's get the highest score. I am all for fighting but I hate having to put one dimensional players with no other value on my league. Plus if your guy gets a 10 game mis. It is a positive thing. It should not be a positive thing.
That's why hits instead of PIM makes more sense, it rewards players who play physical, not ones who hurt their team with a penalty. I don't have a problem having both of them in there though, with PIM counted as usual, the more skater categories, the less it becomes best goalie(s) wins.

Anything to spread out the value of the players. Nothing is more frustrating than being left behind if you didn't draft two goalies in the first three rounds, especially with 32 starting goalie spots and only 30 "starting" goalies in the league.

Curious, do you use PIM as a positive or a negative?
always positive

there's no option otherwise (in yahoo anyway), but I could see it being used like turnovers in basketball.
Yeah, just strikes me as funny since most times taking penalties is a bad thing.
well, most of the guys who pile up penalty minutes are done through fighting or arguing with the ref. those don't generally hurt the team that much.

I think the reasoning behind using PIM is it gives added value to players who don't contribute in the traditional categories. also players who are more physical will tend to get more PIM so it does reward that type of play to some extent.

could also use blocked shots as another alternative to make dmen and penalty killers more valuable.

Curious, do you use PIM as a positive or a negative?
always positive

there's no option otherwise (in yahoo anyway), but I could see it being used like turnovers in basketball.
Yeah, just strikes me as funny since most times taking penalties is a bad thing.
well, most of the guys who pile up penalty minutes are done through fighting or arguing with the ref. those don't generally hurt the team that much.

I think the reasoning behind using PIM is it gives added value to players who don't contribute in the traditional categories. also players who are more physical will tend to get more PIM so it does reward that type of play to some extent.

could also use blocked shots as another alternative to make dmen and penalty killers more valuable.
I like this idea, the stats are a little hommerish but I am for it.

Hits and PIM's are both good...adds value to the grinders/hitters and Steve Ott's of the world that would be marginalized in most pools, if these two categories were not included.

I think hits as a cat is good in leagues with 14-18 teams, not sure it's great for a 10-12 team league. I'm cool with whatever though, applying a little more thought to this might do me some good.

curious what the "loophole" was...
The team had Brian Elliott in their lineup to start the season. Halak was pulled midway through the 1st game and Elliott posted a perfect 13 saves on 13 shots over 32 minutes in a shootout win. The team waited longer than everyone else to draft their goalies as they planned to be strong in two categories and punt the other two. After getting such a great result right away, they chose to never start another goalie the rest of the year. So, based on standings, they were getting max points in both GAA (0.00) and SV% (1.000) and would finish about average across all 4 goalie categories for 32 minutes of playing time.

I never specifically said there was a minimum number of starts a goalie had to make for the ratio stats to count so they assumed this strategy was reasonable and within the rules, even though it worked out much better than they could have expected. Many other owners in the league were upset about this though, so as commish I came up with a compromise mid-season that I think required them to post 5 goalie starts or something by the end of the year for the ratio stats to count. They never put a goalie back in and finished 3rd, but after I adjusted the goalie stats manually for the official final standings, they dropped a bit.

To show there were no hard feelings, and in response to the anger shown towards me in this thread and elsewhere, I sent over a payment for 3rd place but it was rejected.

Going forward, I'll always make sure to state a minimum number of goalie starts in these leagues. Lesson learned.

Been running this league for almost a decade now. I have many friends on these boards and I post under my own name so I'm not hiding anything.

Sorry if I did a bad job as commish and falsely accused you. Like I said, I'm moving on.
You brought it up. Not me.

Clearly you haven't moved on. Only when I started to defend myself did you wave the white flag.
the cheating comment wasn't meant to be taken seriously. was tongue in cheek.I was playing along with the comments in the other thread:

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
Rude got a lot of CRAP last year from chet's bs, I would like him to run it again but if not I will as a last resort.

IN................Hopefully for a RUDE run league!

:rudemuchlove:
there was a loophole that I missed and you and your co-owner had a viable strategy to take advantage of it that played out very well. I tried to come up with a compromise that I thought was fair to you and the rest of the league, but I didn't like being put in that position and hope to avoid that if at all possible in the future. I got very stressed out at the time, and didn't make any decisions lightly.

just hoping to keep this league as fun and low-stress as possible. not looking for any more drama.
Tongue in cheek? Bull####.

If you're not looking for drama, don't lie and accuse me of cheating especially when I followed the rules. I didn't complain when you abused your power last year because I didn't want to rock the boat any more than I had even though I followed your instructions and rules. I meekly accepted your decision and moved on. You then write on a public message board that I cheated.

Don't ever ask me for my hockey tickets again. I will burn them before ever giving them to you again.
I am all for people having ifights. (chet this is cav/icalkies) But this one is just wrong. Chet I saw your angle two years ago, but I didn't think 25$ was worth messing up the league. I get the win all costs thing and you had every right to do what you did. Rude was protecting people who paid 25 dollars and the money matters, I get that.

I met chet personally and he is a great guy, I have never met Rude but he is as fair as fair can be.

I said chet was an #### for doing what he did, if there way money that mattered at the end of it I would have done what he did. Rude was protecting the other people. Personally I would not change the rule in season but WTF, chet had his best interest in hand and Rude had the leagues best interest in hand. I respect both.

Chet join and have fun, it is what is all about. Does not need to be any hate or bad feelings.

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
Been running this league for almost a decade now. I have many friends on these boards and I post under my own name so I'm not hiding anything.

Sorry if I did a bad job as commish and falsely accused you. Like I said, I'm moving on.

Clearly you haven't moved on. Only when I started to defend myself did you wave the white flag.
the cheating comment wasn't meant to be taken seriously. was tongue in cheek.I was playing along with the comments in the other thread:

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
Rude got a lot of CRAP last year from chet's bs, I would like him to run it again but if not I will as a last resort.

there was a loophole that I missed and you and your co-owner had a viable strategy to take advantage of it that played out very well. I tried to come up with a compromise that I thought was fair to you and the rest of the league, but I didn't like being put in that position and hope to avoid that if at all possible in the future. I got very stressed out at the time, and didn't make any decisions lightly.

just hoping to keep this league as fun and low-stress as possible. not looking for any more drama.

If you're not looking for drama, don't lie and accuse me of cheating especially when I followed the rules. I didn't complain when you abused your power last year because I didn't want to rock the boat any more than I had even though I followed your instructions and rules. I meekly accepted your decision and moved on. You then write on a public message board that I cheated.

Don't ever ask me for my hockey tickets again. I will burn them before ever giving them to you again.
I am all for people having ifights. (chet this is cav/icalkies) But this one is just wrong. Chet I saw your angle two years ago, but I didn't think 25$ was worth messing up the league. I get the win all costs thing and you had every right to do what you did. Rude was protecting people who paid 25 dollars and the money matters, I get that. I met chet personally and he is a great guy, I have never met Rude but he is as fair as fair can be.

I said chet was an #### for doing what he did, if there way money that mattered at the end of it I would have done what he did. Rude was protecting the other people. Personally I would not change the rule in season but WTF, chet had his best interest in hand and Rude had the leagues best interest in hand. I respect both.

Chet join and have fun, it is what is all about. Does not need to be any hate or bad feelings.
I appreciate that and was never upset at Rud for protecting the league. At the time, I said I didn't agree but would respect his decision.

My anger came from being accused of cheating which I strongly disagree with. Rud said that it was meant as a joke, and I accept that. I respect Rud and apologize for the strong language I used.

Time to move on to more interesting topics.

FatUncleJerryBuss said:

FatUncleJerryBuss said:

I am all for people having ifights. (chet this is cav/icalkies) But this one is just wrong. Chet I saw your angle two years ago, but I didn't think 25$ was worth messing up the league. I get the win all costs thing and you had every right to do what you did. Rude was protecting people who paid 25 dollars and the money matters, I get that.

I met chet personally and he is a great guy, I have never met Rude but he is as fair as fair can be.

I've seen everything now.

Dump John Kerry. ICAlkies for Secretary of State. ;)

we're at 15 teams. one spot left.

go here to roll for draft positions. highest roll drafts first.

make sure you enter your email address and change the name field to let me know who the roll is for.

we're at 15 teams. one spot left.

go here to roll for draft positions. highest roll drafts first.

make sure you enter your email address and change the name field to let me know who the roll is for.
1d1000, rolled once.

Roll set 1

Die rolls: 882

Roll subtotal: 882

Roll total: 882

Users who are viewing this thread