What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Top 200 Horror Movies of All Time: #35 - Invasion of the Body Snatchers (31 Viewers)

A lot of the close calls on "is this horror?" will get resolved naturally, I would think. If it's really borderline, it won't be on that many people's lists.

FWIW, @Scoresman is free to disallow anything on my list that he deems "not horror." I'm not going to sweat those.
I’ve nixxed a handful already but this is true. They would probably not end up in the top 100 anyway. Yours were fine I think.

A lot of the close calls on "is this horror?" will get resolved naturally, I would think. If it's really borderline, it won't be on that many people's lists.

FWIW, @Scoresman is free to disallow anything on my list that he deems "not horror." I'm not going to sweat those.
I’ve nixxed a handful already but this is true. They would probably not end up in the top 100 anyway. Yours were fine I think.
:oldunsure:

:oldunsure:
I would’ve told you if they were yours.

OK, I just started on my list and really started struggling so I will just ask: Do we want rulings on if a movie is or isn't horror for the exercise before the lists are finalized, or is part of the fun the argument when the countdown is a bit askew?

I will throw out a big name that has already been brought up: The Silence of the Lambs. My guess is that is a movie some do and don't consider horror, so it will be left off some lists because of that. I quickly looked at a couple lists on RT and similar, and I found myself shaking my head at the categorization of a handful at the top of the lists as well. One being a top 5 movie for me.

OK, I just started on my list and really started struggling so I will just ask: Do we want rulings on if a movie is or isn't horror for the exercise before the lists are finalized, or is part of the fun the argument when the countdown is a bit askew?

I will throw out a big name that has already been brought up: The Silence of the Lambs. My guess is that is a movie some do and don't consider horror, so it will be left off some lists because of that. I quickly looked at a couple lists on RT and similar, and I found myself shaking my head at the categorization of a handful at the top of the lists as well. One being a top 5 movie for me.
I’m ok either way but I thought it might be fun to keep it a bit loose, but still within reason. Also keeps the spotlighting of titles down to not discuss it too much.

SotL is one I think is ok. Definitely the most popular one that skirts the line. There are enough horror like elements in the movie, IMO and it’s on enough lists out there.

Right now, with 6 lists in, there are very few controversial titles that I can see that would be skewing the results here.

Told my dad (1930s to 1950s horror movie aficionado) about this. He's gonna pull together a list.

My list is going to display some recency bias, but damn there've been some good horror movies the past 10 years or so.

I’m ok either way but I thought it might be fun to keep it a bit loose, but still within reason. Also keeps the spotlighting of titles down to not discuss it too much.

SotL is one I think is ok. Definitely the most popular one that skirts the line. There are enough horror like elements in the movie, IMO and it’s on enough lists out there.

Right now, with 6 lists in, there are very few controversial titles that I can see that would be skewing the results here.
Well, just to be clear that movies and others won't be on my list because I don't consider them horror. For me a criteria is: does the violence occur on screen or off? Silence has horrific ideas and images, but the kills and violence occur off screen. I consider it thriller.

Alien is horror. Is Aliens?

Spring is listed as horror/romance. Any objection to including it?

The Menu?

Annihilation?

Bone Tomahawk?

Maggie?

The Call (Korean time travel/slasher)?

Alien is horror. Is Aliens?

Spring is listed as horror/romance. Any objection to including it?

The Menu?

Annihilation?

Bone Tomahawk?

Maggie?

The Call (Korean time travel/slasher)?
The Menu crossed my mind, too, but i don't think it qualifies imo.

Well, just to be clear that movies and others won't be on my list because I don't consider them horror. For me a criteria is: does the violence occur on screen or off? Silence has horrific ideas and images, but the kills and violence occur off screen. I consider it thriller.
I mean that scene where Hannibal escapes is pretty brutal and mostly on screen, isn’t it? I sure carry that image in my head to this day.

I think the definition of where to draw the line has more to do with the scare factor. Lambs is a genuinely scary movie.

Horror thrillers, IMO are just as valid a subgenre as something like horror comedy or sci-fi horror.

For those of you who did previous lists, how did you calculate the overall list? Just assign points based on ranks and add them all up? How were ties resolved?
That's all I did with 80s' and my lists. Low scores highest, and tie breaker went to the movie that received the highest score. So if you did it that way, it looks like 10 would be the best score possible for a movie, and for that to happen all of us would have to have the same movie at #1.

This seems to give too much credit for movies that are not on everyone's list. For example I have 2 lists so far and one of the list's 75th ranked movie is worth 75 points because it is only on one of the lists, which ends up being a higher ranking than say a movie that is on both lists ranked in the 50s or so. Do I need to add some sort of "penalty amount" for however many lists the movie is not on?

Don't overthink it, man.

I think we will. Say everyone has caddyshack listed on their list as top 10. That means the final score for it would be anywhere from 10-100. So lets say it gets a score of 85. Now one person picked Ernest Goes to Jail and listed it as their 75th ranked move, so it gets 75 points. It's now ranked ahead of Caddyshack that was in everyone's top 10.

I think I need to add 76 points for each list a movie is not on. I'm going to play around with this once I get a few more lists.

I am not following your math here at all. You should be scoring 75 points for a movie ranked first on someone's list, and 1 point for the movie ranked 75th.

For those of you who did previous lists, how did you calculate the overall list? Just assign points based on ranks and add them all up? How were ties resolved?
That's all I did with 80s' and my lists. Low scores highest, and tie breaker went to the movie that received the highest score. So if you did it that way, it looks like 10 would be the best score possible for a movie, and for that to happen all of us would have to have the same movie at #1.

This seems to give too much credit for movies that are not on everyone's list. For example I have 2 lists so far and one of the list's 75th ranked movie is worth 75 points because it is only on one of the lists, which ends up being a higher ranking than say a movie that is on both lists ranked in the 50s or so. Do I need to add some sort of "penalty amount" for however many lists the movie is not on?

Don't overthink it, man.
Too late.

A 4 tab spreadsheet later and I think I have it figured out.

I think we will. Say everyone has caddyshack listed on their list as top 10. That means the final score for it would be anywhere from 10-100. So lets say it gets a score of 85. Now one person picked Ernest Goes to Jail and listed it as their 75th ranked move, so it gets 75 points. It's now ranked ahead of Caddyshack that was in everyone's top 10.

I think I need to add 76 points for each list a movie is not on. I'm going to play around with this once I get a few more lists.

I am not following your math here at all. You should be scoring 75 points for a movie ranked first on someone's list, and 1 point for the movie ranked 75th.
I was using KPs method from the 80s/90s threads but sounds like this would work too.

Are TV miniseries elligible?
Good question. I see a lot of them on IMDb as if they were classified as really long movies. I’m inclined to say yes.
I don't agree but if we go down this rabbit hole, what about TV series? And what about series that have self-contained seasons like AHS, would someone be able to name different seasons as different entries on their list? Or singular episodes of Twilight Zone or Tales from the Crypt?

Are TV miniseries elligible?
Good question. I see a lot of them on IMDb as if they were classified as really long movies. I’m inclined to say yes.
I don't agree but if we go down this rabbit hole, what about TV series? And what about series that have self-contained seasons like AHS, would someone be able to name different seasons as different entries on their list? Or singular episodes of Twilight Zone or Tales from the Crypt?
Miniseries are essentially three hour long movies. Big difference from a TV series. Pretty easy to draw a line there IMO.

But yeah you could go either way with these. I don’t know what’s right. It’s just easier to be a bit more lenient and let the lists dictate what comes through.

Definitely interesting ranking a movie I watch over and over again because it's fun vs a movie I watched once and really still sticks with me and I dont' know when I'll watch it again.

I mean that scene where Hannibal escapes is pretty brutal and mostly on screen, isn’t it? I sure carry that image in my head to this day.

I think the definition of where to draw the line has more to do with the scare factor. Lambs is a genuinely scary movie.

Horror thrillers, IMO are just as valid a subgenre as something like horror comedy or sci-fi horror.

Fair points, but I disagree still. However, this is your thing and countdown and I want it to be a fun experience, not having people arguing and complaining because certain movies aren't higher on the list.

There are more, and some of my favorite movies are like this - I consider thriller not horror, but I understand people being the opposite. I used a couple examples to hammer home what I think my list will look like (the wife I gone this weekend, so I will work on the list more then). If you leave it to us to define on our own and submit our lists, I do know that Silence of the Lambs and a few others will not be on my list because of categorization. If you and the masses are fine with that, cool. Like somebody pointed out about the ones that are borderline - the list will take care of itself because some will have it some won't and it will probably be lower in the countdown.

As far as the bolded about Hannibal's escape, my memory is that you see him Evander Holyfield the dude, but the baton strikes aren't seen, and you see the body hanging in the background later. On screen violence is one thing I look at, but there are other things. I usually put detective type flicks in thrillers even if they have horrific scenes because typically they are seeing the violence after the fact. Like I said above, IMO Se7en is more of a horror than Silence because the images are worse and more consistent. I can't think of a better example for me that toes the line of horror the most, but I still personally don't think of it as horror.

I had these arguments a lot back in the video store days. :nerd:

I would vote against TV. The medium is too different to make for fair apples-to-apples comparisons IMO.

As far as the other topic, Silence of the Lambs and Jaws are both on my list, along with a couple of similar films, some of which have been mentioned here too. I downgraded these because I don't think they fit the genre as well as, say The Exorcist, but I thought they deserved to be part of the discussion. I wouldn't lose a moment of sleep over it if a bunch of other people omitted those. This is just a fun little message board thing.

My take is that Aliens is sci-fi action where Alien is sci-fi horror. SotL is Thriller/procedural. Jaws is horror. Se7en is a Thriller/mystery.
TV miniseries are movies but can't hold a candle to the production of actual movies, except for modern TV. Some fantastic horror TV has been made in the last few years, but I don't think it fits this exercise.

Just so you guys don't think I'm letting everything in, I already vetoed Jurassic Park, Nightmare Before Christmas/Corpse Bride, and Ex-Machina.

Also for TV mini-series, there is one classic about a certain clown. One that was shown on TV in I think 4 episodes and the remake that was shown in theaters across two movies. Why should one be allowed but not the other? Especially when the original is arguably more iconic than the remake?

Also for SotL, you've got an ex-serial killer wearing another man's bloody face to escape prison, and another serial killer making body suits out of women's skin. Also cannibalism. Those elements are pretty clearly horror.

But if enough people feel strongly about any of these, I'll reconsider.

This discussion on what is or isn't "horror" is fascinating. I have seen a few reference Jaws as fitting the "horror" category and I would never have even considered that as a horror movie.

I would vote against TV. The medium is too different to make for fair apples-to-apples comparisons IMO.

As far as the other topic, Silence of the Lambs and Jaws are both on my list, along with a couple of similar films, some of which have been mentioned here too. I downgraded these because I don't think they fit the genre as well as, say The Exorcist, but I thought they deserved to be part of the discussion. I wouldn't lose a moment of sleep over it if a bunch of other people omitted those. This is just a fun little message board thing.
Jaws is a classic and at the time highly disturbing and caused a worldwide panic on hunting sharks.

This discussion on what is or isn't "horror" is fascinating. I have seen a few reference Jaws as fitting the "horror" category and I would never have even considered that as a horror movie.
I know what you mean.

To take a more extreme example, it only occurred to me at the last minute that I had completely forgotten about American Psycho, which is a film I absolutely love. I mean, that's pretty obviously a horror movie. Patrick Bateman is a sociopathic serial killer, and the film features a large amount of gruesome and graphic violence, much of it directed toward helpless women. If you were managing a Blockbuster, where else would you put it besides the Horror aisle? You definitely don't a customer picking this movie up out of the Thriller aisle thinking that they were taking home something like Basic Instinct, for example. But I just mentally code this movie as "dark satire/social commentary" as opposed to horror. I don't know why that is, because lots of other horror movies have social commentary baked into their DNA too.

But I'm also one of those people who doesn't see Se7en as a horror film. I get why people do, and it's a great movie. It just doesn't seem to be in that lane to me. I feel like any attempt to explain why is just going to be an exercise in me backwards-engineering a made-up justification for what's really a gut feeling.

Jaws is a classic and at the time highly disturbing and caused a worldwide panic on hunting sharks.
There's this inhuman thing that wants to kill us all. The authorities are telling us that it's not real, but we know that it is, and a few brave people are trying to stop it.

Am I talking about Jaws, Dracula, or Invasion of the Body Snatchers? (Special Challenge Stage: describe the difference between Chief Brody and Dr. Loomis.)

There's this inhuman thing that wants to kill us all. The authorities are telling us that it's not real, but we know that it is, and a few brave people are trying to stop it.

Am I talking about Jaws, Dracula, or Invasion of the Body Snatchers?
I see how the dots are connected. I just would have never considered Jaws for this exercise. Might be because I was 3 yrs old when the movie was released so I didn't get the initial emotions of society when it first came out to understand the "horror" it conveyed.

It's one of my favorite movies of all time and a great thriller. Mentally I just don't jump to horror movie.

ETA: Although, I think it is a worthy addition in the broad category of horror even if I wouldn't have initially thought about putting it on a lits of horror movies.

I see how the dots are connected. I just would have never considered Jaws for this exercise. Might be because I was 3 yrs old when the movie was released so I didn't get the initial emotions of society when it first came out to understand the "horror" it conveyed.

It's one of my favorite movies of all time and a great thriller. Mentally I just don't jump to horror movie.

ETA: Although, I think it is a worthy addition in the broad category of horror even if I wouldn't have initially thought about putting it on a lits of horror movies.
I think these are fun discussions to have. No worries.

So I was 5 and yes my parents took me to see it in the theater!! And I remember everything about that experience.

Seeing Alex Kitner get eaten by this Great White shark scared the living **** outta me as we lived in Surfside Miami Beach.

My mom never let me near the ocean for almost 2 years.

We're down to just 2 movies that appear on all lists received so far.....
wow. That is crazy. I would have expected at least 10 movies to be on all lists.

ETA: But that is because I probably can't think of 75 horror movies where the raters obviously have a much more extensive library to pull from.

I'll let you do as you wish. I myself will not be submitting any TV miniseries. (I do distinguish those from direct-to-streaming movies such as Totally Killer but not direct-to-streaming miniseries such as Fear Street).

And FWIW, Totally Killer will not be on my list. I have it as Tier 3 horror - worth watching but not in the conversation for a Top 100 spot. Just needed an example.

Just so you guys don't think I'm letting everything in, I already vetoed Jurassic Park, Nightmare Before Christmas/Corpse Bride, and Ex-Machina.

Also for TV mini-series, there is one classic about a certain clown. One that was shown on TV in I think 4 episodes and the remake that was shown in theaters across two movies. Why should one be allowed but not the other? Especially when the original is arguably more iconic than the remake?

Also for SotL, you've got an ex-serial killer wearing another man's bloody face to escape prison, and another serial killer making body suits out of women's skin. Also cannibalism. Those elements are pretty clearly horror.

But if enough people feel strongly about any of these, I'll reconsider.

I'm on board with whatever you decide.

Just to clarify, I'm inclined to allow TV mini series, but NOT any TV series including limited series. No Haunting of Hill House or anything like that please.

The distinction for me here is that a mini series that is anywhere from 3-5 episodes is a bit like a really long movie showed over a few days. A series that is 8-10 episodes in length is different IMO. A thin line, but a distinct one.

For the record this has not been an issue at all in any list so far.

We're down to just 2 movies that appear on all lists received so far.....
That is unreal.....this is going to be one hellvua discussion!!
One of the things I'm looking forward to is seeing at least a few more-critical takes on movies that I've seen so many times that they've become (scary) comfort food for me. I have very strong feelings toward my top 15, and most of those apparently did not crack some top-75s. That kind of diversity of opinion should make for interesting discussions. (Edit: My top 15 has a small number of obvious outliers.)

Users who are viewing this thread