What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFPC dynasty and redraft thread (2 Viewers)

🤦🏼‍♂️

Yes, I mixed up the picks. I edited my post. 
I'm like why can't I get a deal like that?@!@!? 

Actually true story in one of these rookie drafts yesterday dude offered other dude 2.04 for 1.09 straight. Nothing on the side. Then when called out on it he didn't call it a typo. Said "take it or leave it." And I think he was serious about it. Later he took the Colts Defense at 3.03. *shrugs*

So I don’t normally post but this morning I received a very troubling tweet from FFPC where they had “liked” a tweet.  The original tweet said “FFPC superflex dynasty, third year. Tanked 2020, tanked 2021. 2022 championship incoming????”.  It went on to give a picture of the lineup of the team.  

We all know it but per the rules, tanking is expressly and strictly prohibited.  Why would FFPC be liking a tweet like this and shouldn’t this owner be terminated from FFPC?  How brazen can you be?

So I don’t normally post but this morning I received a very troubling tweet from FFPC where they had “liked” a tweet.  The original tweet said “FFPC superflex dynasty, third year. Tanked 2020, tanked 2021. 2022 championship incoming????”.  It went on to give a picture of the lineup of the team.  

We all know it but per the rules, tanking is expressly and strictly prohibited.  Why would FFPC be liking a tweet like this and shouldn’t this owner be terminated from FFPC?  How brazen can you be?
I saw the tweet you're talking about yesterday and have two thoughts:

One, there is a difference between not setting competitive lineups, putting players on bye or injured in your starting lineup, and what is loosely described as "tanking." It isn't forbidden to punt on year one in hopes of winning in year two. It is forbidden to not set competitive lineups, but it is understood some players will punt on year one. It gets loosely described as "tanking" but it isn't against the rules. I never play that way myself and I think it is a fool's errand because...

Two, that guy's third year team looks terrible to me. Competitive, but not the juggernaut that "punting in year one and two so I can win in year three" should look like.

Also, there is no guarantee in FFPC that "tanking" by whatever definition, is going to get you one of the top draft picks. You have to compete in the TB so a really crappy team often doesn't win it. 

Barack I agree with what you said.  It “tanking”happens but for an owner to publicly state they “tanked” and then for FFPC to like that tweet is what I found troubling.  

northga said:

I concur with BDH regarding the terminology blending tanking can and productive struggle. If you trade your older productive assets for picks with an eye toward next year it is productive struggle but it is often called tanking. Tanking is not playing your best players, and or not filling out a full line up. However I do disagree with BDH on the effectiveness of the productive struggle. 

barackdhouse said:
I saw the tweet you're talking about yesterday and have two thoughts:

One, there is a difference between not setting competitive lineups, putting players on bye or injured in your starting lineup, and what is loosely described as "tanking." It isn't forbidden to punt on year one in hopes of winning in year two. It is forbidden to not set competitive lineups, but it is understood some players will punt on year one. It gets loosely described as "tanking" but it isn't against the rules. I never play that way myself and I think it is a fool's errand because...

Two, that guy's third year team looks terrible to me. Competitive, but not the juggernaut that "punting in year one and two so I can win in year three" should look like.

Also, there is no guarantee in FFPC that "tanking" by whatever definition, is going to get you one of the top draft picks. You have to compete in the TB so a really crappy team often doesn't win it. 
Agree with the first part (and posted as much) but respectfully disagree on the second. Pretty hard to rebuild without doing the productive struggle. Yes, in FPC you still need a decent team to get 1.1, but top 4 is good AND acquiring picks from other teams gets you more arrows in the quiver. If done properly I feel it is best way to go and the mistake I most often see is owners not recognizing how mediocre their team is and not starting the rebuild sooner. 

What happens to an FFPC dynast team if a player quits?

When you sign up for a dynasty, you pay a deposit (roughly half the cost of the buy-in, depending on how much the league costs). If you decide to leave the league, you can put the team up for sale, and if someone buys it, they pay their own deposit and you get your own deposit back. But if you abandon or orphan your team, you lose your deposit. (If you want to trade your future R1 rookie pick, you must pay half of the following year's dues beforehand.)

When you sign up for a dynasty, you pay a deposit (roughly half the cost of the buy-in, depending on how much the league costs). If you decide to leave the league, you can put the team up for sale, and if someone buys it, they pay their own deposit and you get your own deposit back. But if you abandon or orphan your team, you lose your deposit. (If you want to trade your future R1 rookie pick, you must pay half of the following year's dues beforehand.)
Is teams quitting a problem? 

seems like it’s easy to ditch a bad team.

northga said:

I'm in a superflex best ball dynasty where one team "tanked" the 2020 startup draft to acquire 2021 rookie picks. In best ball, at least, you have a better shot at getting the 1.01 because there's no "toilet bowl" tournament for the 1.01, but, since it's best ball, you have no choice but to field your best lineup every week. Anyway, this team finished last in 2020, then easily finished first last season. He's got:

QB: R Wilson, D Prescott, T Lawrence, Z Wilson

RB: J Taylor, D Swift, Dobbins, J Williams, L Fournette, B Hall (he traded for the 1.01)

WR: J Chase, J Jefferson, T Higgins, DK Metcalf

TE: Goedert

I think half the owners tried to sell their team in this league (me included). I think if the '23 class is as good as they say, it might be possible to take the same approach in this year's startups. But I'm not sure how anyone can compete with this team. There are like nine R1 or R2 startup picks. It's a monster. 

Is teams quitting a problem? 

seems like it’s easy to ditch a bad team.

I don't think FFPC has ever folded a league. I've been in FFPC dynasties since 2017 and owners come and go but the leagues keep going. No matter how crappy an orphan team is, there always seems to be someone willing to buy it for a buck and try to turn it into a winner. 

I don't think FFPC has ever folded a league. I've been in FFPC dynasties since 2017 and owners come and go but the leagues keep going. No matter how crappy an orphan team is, there always seems to be someone willing to buy it for a buck and try to turn it into a winner. 
Similar experience for me in the 1 FFPC league I’ve been in for 5 years. Some folks leave, and leave behind pretty ####ty teams, but new folks join every year. It really sucks for league  chatter though. Like crickets most of the year. 

that’s why I’m so glad to be in the FBG FFPC league that barack pulled together. Bunch of good guys that “know each other” from this board, so it’s active and chatty during the year. 

However I do disagree with BDH on the effectiveness of the productive struggle. 
It is certainly a legit strategy and I have seen people execute it very well. But I have seen it blow up on them a lot, too. For my money I prefer to come out of the gate swinging and then reload each year. That has blown up, too, but for me my batting average is really strong - there isn't any reason for me to take a walk to potentially score later. I prefer to just hit a home run now thanks. And then again the next at bat. I don't like to get thrown out trying to steal 2nd.

Ok no really I've seen people absolutely destroy the productive struggle and build the proverbial juggernaut. It can work really well. Just not for me. My startup teams are all juggernauts and young in my opinion, with a couple exceptions but I'm working on that!!

Agree with the first part (and posted as much) but respectfully disagree on the second. Pretty hard to rebuild without doing the productive struggle. Yes, in FPC you still need a decent team to get 1.1, but top 4 is good AND acquiring picks from other teams gets you more arrows in the quiver. If done properly I feel it is best way to go and the mistake I most often see is owners not recognizing how mediocre their team is and not starting the rebuild sooner. 
I responded above, but yeah I guess in my head I was thinking in terms of the way somebody approached a startup. If a rebuild is warranted after some time, then yes absolutely. I have more than a few orphans I took on last year where that is exactly what I did.

We made it into the 5th round of our first ever rookie draft for our FFPC SharkPool league, shall we fill the folks in on the draft so far? Or give it another day or however until we're done. We're almost there. 

It is certainly a legit strategy and I have seen people execute it very well. But I have seen it blow up on them a lot, too. For my money I prefer to come out of the gate swinging and then reload each year. That has blown up, too, but for me my batting average is really strong - there isn't any reason for me to take a walk to potentially score later. I prefer to just hit a home run now thanks. And then again the next at bat. I don't like to get thrown out trying to steal 2nd.

Ok no really I've seen people absolutely destroy the productive struggle and build the proverbial juggernaut. It can work really well. Just not for me. My startup teams are all juggernauts and young in my opinion, with a couple exceptions but I'm working on that!!
I’ve only done 2 FFPC start ups so I don’t have tons of experience, but in 1QB dynasty format, where you can only Keeping 14 skill players, I don’t think you can invest in too many mid/long term projects.

So, in the FBG FFPC startup league last year, I basically went in with more of a redraft mentality to Win Now and take “older” studs when they fell to me (Henry, Najee, Adams, AJones, Evans we’re my 1st 5 picks…Najee obviously the welcome exception. then I traded my 2022 1st to upgrade QB to Josh Allen).

I figure I can try to keep a Win Now, All In approach for the next 2-3 years and, hopefully also make enough good draft picks and a couple of trades to inject some youth into my lineup. But unless a miracle happens and I get super lucky on multiple picks, I suspect at some point I’ll need to sell off and tear it all down in 3 years or so. But I hope to have a fun ride while it last before a rebuild. 

So, depending on league format, I’m going Win Now and not be afraid to draft a little older than the competition in any start ups in shallow leagues like FFPC. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We made it into the 5th round of our first ever rookie draft for our FFPC SharkPool league, shall we fill the folks in on the draft so far? Or give it another day or however until we're done. We're almost there. 
Might as well wait another day or two til we finish. 

I'm in a superflex best ball dynasty where one team "tanked" the 2020 startup draft to acquire 2021 rookie picks. In best ball, at least, you have a better shot at getting the 1.01 because there's no "toilet bowl" tournament for the 1.01, but, since it's best ball, you have no choice but to field your best lineup every week. Anyway, this team finished last in 2020, then easily finished first last season. He's got:

QB: R Wilson, D Prescott, T Lawrence, Z Wilson

RB: J Taylor, D Swift, Dobbins, J Williams, L Fournette, B Hall (he traded for the 1.01)

WR: J Chase, J Jefferson, T Higgins, DK Metcalf

TE: Goedert

I think half the owners tried to sell their team in this league (me included). I think if the '23 class is as good as they say, it might be possible to take the same approach in this year's startups. But I'm not sure how anyone can compete with this team. There are like nine R1 or R2 startup picks. It's a monster. 
With no playoffs for draft positions the best ball format favors this strategy and if you hit on a good draft class its wheels up. I wonder if FPC might want to consider adding a bottom 6 playoff similar to std lgs.

In one of my best ball leagues last year, a team that had been competitive for the previous few years but fell apart last year. At the trade deadline I was sitting at about the 4th worst points total and I made a few trades of players for picks including one that, by the trade calculators, I was clearly getting the worst of it.  But what I factored into it was that making the deal gave me a much better chance of getting the #1 overall pick.  At that time I didn't know who the #1 pick would be but I figured somebody would emerge (like Breece Hall did).

With about 3 weeks left in the season it was looking like it worked too as i had about a 100 point advantage over the second worst team.  Unfortunately Rashaad Penny and a few of my other scrubs like KJ Osborne decided to wake up in the last few weeks and I ended up missing out on the first pick by less than one point.

barackdhouse said:
It gets loosely described as "tanking" but it isn't against the rules. I never play that way myself and I think it is a fool's errand
I have punted year one twice those are/were by best teams for many years.  If you do it right you can be good for a long time like in a 16 team IDP league where I punted year 1 then started poorly year 2 when I was going to try then decided to punt year 2.  I totaled like 1 win in the first 2 years.  Year 3 I surprised and was a wildcard team that made it to the title game barely losing by 1 point.  Year 4-5 I went on a 29 game winning streak had back to back undefeated seasons but lost in the title game in year 5.  Years 4-8 I  have been the #1 seed for the past 5 straight seasons won the title 2 years ago went 13-1 last year but had a horrible week 16 and was knocked out.

In a league where my co-manager (menobrown) and I did horribly bad in drafting the startup we punted year 1 made the playoffs in year 2 then years 3-5 won 3 straight championships before last year losing in the playoffs to a team that some how magically had every player that broke out the same year after doing squat the first 5 years in the league.

I have tried it twice and been super happy about how it went/still is going.

I have punted year one twice those are/were by best teams for many years.  If you do it right you can be good for a long time like in a 16 team IDP league where I punted year 1 then started poorly year 2 when I was going to try then decided to punt year 2.  I totaled like 1 win in the first 2 years.  Year 3 I surprised and was a wildcard team that made it to the title game barely losing by 1 point.  Year 4-5 I went on a 29 game winning streak had back to back undefeated seasons but lost in the title game in year 5.  Years 4-8 I  have been the #1 seed for the past 5 straight seasons won the title 2 years ago went 13-1 last year but had a horrible week 16 and was knocked out.

In a league where my co-manager (menobrown) and I did horribly bad in drafting the startup we punted year 1 made the playoffs in year 2 then years 3-5 won 3 straight championships before last year losing in the playoffs to a team that some how magically had every player that broke out the same year after doing squat the first 5 years in the league.

I have tried it twice and been super happy about how it went/still is going.
Yeah like I said I have seen the strategy work well. Punting in year one is just not in my DNA though. 

Our first rookie draft for our FFPC SharkPool dynasty league is in the books. I'll let others decide how much or how little they want to share but here are all 84 picks anonymously other than mine in bold.

1.01HallBreece
1.02WalkerKenneth
1.03BurksTreylon
1.04LondonDrake
1.05WilliamsJameson
1.06WilsonGarrett
1.07OlaveChris
1.08MooreSkyy
1.09WatsonChristian
1.10PickensGeorge
1.11CookJames
1.12WhiteRachaad
2.01DotsonJahan
2.02BellDavid
2.03SpillerIsaiah
2.04PierceDameon
2.05WhiteZamir
2.06AllgeierTyler
2.07PierceAlec
2.08WilliamsKyren
2.09RobinsonBrian
2.10MetchieJohn
2.11Davis-PriceTyrion
2.12McBrideTrey
3.01TolbertJalen
3.02RossJustyn
3.03IngramKeaontay
3.04DoubsRomeo
3.05WoodsJelani
3.06LazardAllen
3.07RobinsonWan'Dale
3.08TonyanRobert
3.09SmithJonnu
3.10MackMarlon
3.11HaskinsHassan
3.12Team DefenseLAC
4.01HurstHayden
4.02ThomasLogan
4.03HinesNyheim
4.04JonesVelus
4.05WilliamsJamaal
4.06WatkinsSammy
4.07McPhersonEvan
4.08StrongPierre
4.09PatrickTim
4.10SmithAbram
4.11BenjaminEno
4.12PachecoIsaih
5.01DulcichGreg
5.02JohnsonD'Ernest
5.03MoreauFoster
5.04ConnerSnoop
5.05RyanMatt
5.06McKissicJ.D.
5.07FordJerome
5.08ThorntonTyquan
5.09WilliamsDamien
5.10Team DefensePIT
5.11ShakirKhalil
5.12PerineSamaje
6.01Team DefenseDAL
6.02DrakeKenyan
6.03WillisMalik
6.04HamlerKJ
6.05HarrisKevin
6.06BrooksKennedy
6.07Team DefenseSF
6.08BadieTyler
6.09OsbornK.J.
6.10AustinCalvin
6.11Team DefenseBAL
6.12BryantHarrison
7.01WinstonJameis
7.02CorbinJashaun
7.03PattersonJaret
7.04GuiceDerrius
7.05IngramMark
7.06WilsonJeff
7.07DavisMike
7.08Team DefenseMIA
7.09BatesJohn
7.10AndersonRobbie
7.11UzomahC.J.
7.12EdwardsBryan

Not a super eventful draft for me. I am glad I was able to trade into the 2nd round and get Allgeier. Tempered expectations for him but my team is pretty weak at RB and he should help. Otherwise I reached for my guy Doubs in the 3rd because I didn't think he would make it back to me in this room and he was probably the top of my list (at that point in the draft) of players I didn't want to walk away without. 

Our first rookie draft for our FFPC SharkPool dynasty league is in the books. I'll let others decide how much or how little they want to share but here are all 84 picks anonymously other than mine in bold.

Here a my picks in this league:

2.12 Trey McBride TE AZ

3.6 Allen Lazard WR GB

3.11 Hassan Hankins RB TEN

3.12 LAC D

5.11 Khalil Shakir WR BUF

6.9 KJ Osborn WR MIN

6.12 Harrison Bryant TE CLE

7.12 Bryan Edwards WR ATL

I’m Win Now in this league,  big time. I didn’t have my 1.12 pick since I traded that pick (plus T Lawrence) early last year for Josh Allen to try to put me over the top, which it certainly helped me do. 

At 2.12, I just wanted Best Rookie Avaiable and McBride fit that bill for me, since my TEs are just Schultz and Irv Smith, so crossing my fingers for an upgrade at TE over time. 
I actually trade up a little to get the 3.6 and grab Lazard since he was the best This Year kind of WR on the board, in case I need a starter (I have Adams, Evans, Theilen). Of course I’m hoping he becomes Rodgers’ main guy this year. 
i traded 4.8 and 4.12 to jump up to 3.11 and grab Hankins (I have Henry as my RB1). Henry’s hopeful long term replacement and a just-in-case handcuff for this year. (I also have AJones, Najee, Connor at RB, plus KHerbert)

At 3.12, I grabbed the far and away highest ranked D on my list since I just had Indy. Again, Win Now. Definitely the earliest D taken in this 7 round rookie/FA draft, but it felt right at the time seeing whoever else was on the board. Might regret this but looking at the guys who went between 3.12 & 5.11, not feeling bad about “reaching” for a D upgrade. 

Loving Shakir and Osborn's value at those picks to keep throwing darts on 2 young WRs for when my old guys break down in the next couple of years. I was surprised Shakir was still there, honestly, and Osborn is Theilen insurance plus long term replacement hopefully.

Bryant was a WhatTheHeck upside TE pick to see if he and Watson perhaps click in the preseason, but a likely roster cut down drop before Week 1. 

Finally, I literally just went OTC when the Bryan Edwards news broke so gladly snatched him up at 7.12. Mr Irrelevant, welcome to Team Joey. 

I still have my 2023 1st and 2nd round picks next year to either keep trying to slowly get younger or, perhaps, they’ll be part of a Win Now trade for this year if one of my key guys goes down. 

I love the challenge of this league and also enjoying this All In, Win Now approach I took for the first time in any Dynasty start up I’ve been in. 

I'll go super long with my twisted reasoning.

1.4: Drake London- I have completed 7 FFPC rookie drafts and this was my most difficult decision of any of those drafts. I had 4 WR's ranked fairly close both before and after the draft and chewed on it all week and at the end of the day the WR I had ranked first before the draft remained in that spot. That WR is not London, it's Garrett Wilson.  But already owning Elijah Moore I was not keen on owning two Jet's WR's, not a deal killer but enough to sway me in a close call.  Jameson made a lot of sense for my team which is still probably a year away from being a year away. He's got good YAC ability and I wondered if he'd be used at time like Waddle was used last year which would increase his volume or would his usage be more of traditional primary deep threat and be a lower volume player? That concern led me to choose London who I just trust more from a pure volume angle. Now I own Pitts in this league so I'd understand if someone thought you passed on your WR1 so you'd not have two WR's on the same team but went ahead and paired a WR with your TE? That's a fair thought but TE/WR just feels different to me and key on Falcons is at this point in time it's a primary two man show. I said this was my hardest call to make all draft decision and I will admit to having had more buyers remorse of this pick then any other draft pick as well. Just a tough call for me.

2.4: Dameon Pierce: I knew the early second round range was a honey hole for RB's and that was likely direction I'd go unless one of the WR's I had in top 10 fell. Based on RB's that went this call was everything my first round pick was not, easy.

****Trade****

I gave 2023#2 straight up for 2.7. Rationale: I did not have another pick until 5.1 but had an extra second and extra third in the 2023 draft. That combined with weak back end of my roster I felt it made a lot more sense to push one of those picks up a year to add to my depth. That being said there was only player left I was willing do this trade for and that ended up being:

2.7 Alex Pierce- in the old vacuum I think he's a better investment then the other Pierce I took earlier and for that matter all the RB's that were going in that tier. But I knew that early second was usually a RB feeding frenzy so my goal was to draft a RB at 2.4 and then try and trade to draft Pierce later in round 2. Success! Did this exact same thing in another league. As for Pierce I do have some volume concerns at first because he has to learn to run a more varied route tree but I feel like his athletic testing and some of the comps he's got is super high upside and his floor to me seems like a Chase Claypool. I heard a podcast after the draft with Greg Cosell and he said that he felt Pierce could do all the things that Drake London could do. I went ahead and got them both.

5.1 Greg Dulcich-  with Pitts and Goedert on the team this was pure BPA/highest upside. I posted yesterday in the Dulcich thread that I was surprised at gap between him and Mcbride and him and Albert O in the leagues he was available to draft, often almost a 3 round difference. I think Dulcich is coming for Albert O's job and will be the primary pass catching TE before EOS.  Now back when in our startup I took Javonte, Juedy and Aaron Rodgers later and yes I was thinking of Rodgers landing in Denver for 2022 and beyond when I took him. So it's Russ instead and short team that's not as good but in what should be a wild AFC West happy to add another high upside piece. Lastly I kept two players on my final 14 that are IMO super weak keepers. Laviska and Antonio Brown. Those two need some positive news, as in a signing or a trade, to stick. My point is I got 4-6 open roster spots to start the season before factoring in players landing on IR opening up more.  That's a long winded way of saying I got room now and can likely create room later to hold him if he needs typical TE ramp up time.

5.4 Snoop Conner -  Not big on this guy at all but when you own both Etienne and Robinson it just makes sense. If both of those players are active week one he's a cut, if one is on IR my guess is he stays awhile.

7.4: Derrius Guice -I ended up using my 7th round pick on him in all but one league, were someone took him two spots in front of me. I do not think he will play in the NFL again. Wrong position to deal with the incredibly negative PR. But he's eligible, he's in great shape apparently, 25 and I thought and continue to believe he's super talented.  The fact he's working out like he's going to get a shot gives me some hope he's been dangled some hope. When you got a go big or go home shot in round 7 I'm down for it. In most of my other leagues my roster is deep so he had more appeal on those teams as in you'll know when cuts are due if he's worth holding or not which is a lot harder to know on most 7th round picks.  I"m going to be one happy dude if he gets back in the league and if not it cost me a few 7'ths.

That's it. Was super light on picks but that was my thought process on the few that I had.

Would likely be able to do it but to be honest not sure I have much more to add that I did not just write out.  Saw this after posting my missive.
Yeah I would imagine not! Great write up and I like the thought process throughout. I grabbed 7 shares of Alec Pierce in my 23 rookie drafts, sometimes as late as the later 3rd. 15 of those are SF but usually only 4 QBs came off by then so he really did fall in a lot of them. I grabbed a bunch of Snoop as well very late. Especially in spots with Robinson. Who tore his achilles in the later part of December. Akers really reset the bar but I just don't see Robinson being out there week 1. And it isn't going to *all* be on ETN's plate. Good of a dart throw as any. I also grabbed Abram Smith in New Orleans in a bunch of these.

2.7 Alex Pierce- in the old vacuum I think he's a better investment then the other Pierce I took earlier and for that matter all the RB's that were going in that tier. But I knew that early second was usually a RB feeding frenzy so my goal was to draft a RB at 2.4 and then try and trade to draft Pierce later in round 2. Success! Did this exact same thing in another league. As for Pierce I do have some volume concerns at first because he has to learn to run a more varied route tree but I feel like his athletic testing and some of the comps he's got is super high upside and his floor to me seems like a Chase Claypool. I heard a podcast after the draft with Greg Cosell and he said that he felt Pierce could do all the things that Drake London could do. I went ahead and got them both.

5.4 Snoop Conner -  Not big on this guy at all but when you own both Etienne and Robinson it just makes sense. If both of those players are active week one he's a cut, if one is on IR my guess is he stays awhile.

Would likely be able to do it but to be honest not sure I have much more to add that I did not just write out.  Saw this after posting my missive.
Same here. I pretty much ran through my thinking in my post above. Would love to see breakdowns from the others in the league if folks have the time and energy :)  

Traded 22 1st during the startup, which is not my usual MO, but want to be more aggressive in my old age. Trade was for Mahomes and I ended up top seed with no regerts.

A week prior to the draft I was offered the 1.11, 2.2 & 3.2 for my 23 1st. I initially turned it down, and then after getting a better feel for the players likely to be available I countered asking for the 1.11/2.1/3.1 and it was accepted. 

Obviously a risky move, but felt my team was thin and I would likely come away with an rb & wr I would feel good about.

1.11: James Cook - Decent chance he could be flex worthy pass catcher right out of the gate. The downside is pairing him with Diggs and uncertainty around the goal line where Allen likes to call his own number, Moss?. The optimist in me thinks the Bills have to know they can't keep subjecting Allen to that kind of pounding and Cooks could be a big beneficiary of that. Fwiw, Rachaad White went right after at 1.12 and I would have taken him had Cook not been there.

2.01: Jahan Dotson - He is the guy everyone loves to hate, but he is also the 16th overall pick and has solid metrics coming out of college. I don't love him or his landing spot, but with nfl rd1 pedigree I think he is a solid 2nd rd choice. Fwiw2, David Bell who I also liked went right after at the 2.02.

2.10: Jon Metchie - Probably my least fav pick of the draft, just a big question mark. Really would have preferred Alec Pierce here and I like Tolbert more, but having 3 of the next 4 picks I stuck to adp and hoped Tolbert would last.  

2.11: Tyrion Davis-Price - I took him ahead of his adp, but i'm really excited about this pick. I like him more than a couple of the rbs who went right before him. A lot of people I trust love him and he could be productive sooner than many might think.  

3.01: Jalen Tolbert - Boom bust type pick, but he has the size and what looks like a great opportunity with Cooper gone and Gallup coming off injury.

4.11: Eno Benjamin - I think he is still likely Conner's backup and thats worth a shot

6th & 7th: Bal Def & Uzomah - Nuff said

My draft recap:

1.06 Garrett Wilson: Traded back from 1.03 to 1.06 while OTC to move up from 3.03 to 2.06.  Really didn’t have a huge preference in the top 4 WRs and figured I’d take whomever fell, which was G Wilson, pretty happy about that as I probably would have taken him at 1.03 if I kept it.

2.03 Isaiah Spiller. Knew I was targeting a RB here, chose Spiller based on college production, pre combine hype, and mostly landing spot with great offense and aging Ekeler.

2.06 was planning another RB here, but Barack’s offer if 23 2nd and Renfrow was too good to pass up. Quite honestly scares me to trade with someone of Barack’s skills, but figured the value is worth the shot.

4.03 Nyheim Hines. Produced before Taylor was all world, just an upshot in case the unthinkable happens

5.03 Foster Moreau. Was planning Dulcich but Meno sniped me. Stuck with TE, Moreau has skills, and even though the Waller trade rumors were squashed, you never know.

6.03 Malik Willis. Late round stab for a future LJax? 

7.03 Jaret Patterson. I somehow timed out at 2AM so this was an auto pick. Not sure how that happened, but no biggie either way.

Ok here is my rather boring, and unimpressive draft.

1.03 (traded up from 1.06).  Treylon Burks.  I traded Bombjack my 2.06 and dropped to 3.03.  Probably would have taken Brian Robinson at 2.06, but took Keaontay Ingram at 3.03.  Wash?  Time will tell.  I wouldn't say Robinson/2.06 is equivalent to 3.03, but I have most of the 2nd/3rd round as a gentle slope down... as if I know anything :)  .  Back to the real pick - I had the 4 common WRs ranked Williams, Burks, London, Wilson.  I did NOT want Wilson.  I mean, a Jet?  C'mon!  Though it sounds like he may have went befpre 1.06, and I probably could have gotten 1 of my top 2.  Oh well.  I would have settled for London at 6.  Though I really didn't want him, I think he'll hold that mid-1st value based on rep & situation.  I traded to 1.03 to get Williams or Burks.  I chickened out and took Burks.  I like Williams a bit more, but I already have Hockenson.  I couldn't bring myself to invest that much into the Lions.  One is enough.  It helps that I got Williams in 2 other leagues and this is my only Burks.  Diversification/I'm a wuss.

The rest of my draft can be summed up as I'm happy with my QBs, WRs, & TEs, and my RBs blow.  My RBs killed me last year with CMC, Carson, and none of my RB3s doing squat.  I went RB with every pick after Burks.  2 of them being cross-my-finger rookies.  The rest being some form of high value backup or desperate for 10 ppr points players.

3.03 K. Ingram

5.06 JD Mckissic

5.12 S. Perine

6.06 K. Brooks

7. 06 J. Wilson

7.07 M. Davis

I'm not proud of what I did here, but if Burks pans out, I'll be happy.

Ok here is my rather boring, and unimpressive draft.

1.03 (traded up from 1.06).  Treylon Burks.  I traded Bombjack my 2.06 and dropped to 3.03.  Probably would have taken Brian Robinson at 2.06, but took Keaontay Ingram at 3.03.  Wash?  Time will tell.  I wouldn't say Robinson/2.06 is equivalent to 3.03, but I have most of the 2nd/3rd round as a gentle slope down... as if I know anything :)  .  Back to the real pick - I had the 4 common WRs ranked Williams, Burks, London, Wilson.  I did NOT want Wilson.  I mean, a Jet?  C'mon!  Though it sounds like he may have went befpre 1.06, and I probably could have gotten 1 of my top 2.  Oh well.  I would have settled for London at 6.  Though I really didn't want him, I think he'll hold that mid-1st value based on rep & situation.  I traded to 1.03 to get Williams or Burks.  I chickened out and took Burks.  I like Williams a bit more, but I already have Hockenson.  I couldn't bring myself to invest that much into the Lions.  One is enough.  It helps that I got Williams in 2 other leagues and this is my only Burks.  Diversification/I'm a wuss.

The rest of my draft can be summed up as I'm happy with my QBs, WRs, & TEs, and my RBs blow.  My RBs killed me last year with CMC, Carson, and none of my RB3s doing squat.  I went RB with every pick after Burks.  2 of them being cross-my-finger rookies.  The rest being some form of high value backup or desperate for 10 ppr points players.

3.03 K. Ingram

5.06 JD Mckissic

5.12 S. Perine

6.06 K. Brooks

7. 06 J. Wilson

7.07 M. Davis

I'm not proud of what I did here, but if Burks pans out, I'll be happy.

I love to hoard RBs in most of the leagues I'm in (except this one where I have 4 starters and 2 backups/future dart throws) but, holy cow, you have TWELVE RBs on your roster! Love it! :)

Very boring draft for me.   Interestingly, I've probably done over 100 rookie drafts in my life and I think this is the first time I've ever had all my own picks and no additional picks and no trades during the draft.  

1.05 - Jameson Williams - I have Williams, Wilson, Olave, Burks and London all in the same tier.  I have no idea which ones will be studs.  This draft got off to a little slow start so by the time I was on the clock all my other drafts were past this point and think I had 3 shares of Wilson and 4 shares of Olave already and only one other share of Williams so I figured I'd take a shot of Jameson here.

2.05 - Zamir White -  The second round RB's are kind of in the same situation as the first round WR's for me.  One big tier.  I took Zamir over Robinson and Allgeier mostly because I already own Jacobs.

3.05 - Jelani Woods - Maybe a little high for him but I really like his potential.  He's my most drafted player (7 of 13 leagues).

4.05  - Jamaal Williams - Purely a handcuff play to Swift.  Last year I was killed by injuries in this league.  At one point late in the year I looked at my roster and had all 3 of my IR slots filled plus 4 additional players on my bench with an IR designation plus a few questionable.  At times I had a hard time filling a lineup.  That probably played a role in my choice to handcuff Swift and Jacobs.  That's not something I usually do in rookie drafts.

5.05 - Matt Ryan - Should be a decent backup QB.  

6.05 - Kevin Harris - I know he's like the sixth string RB on the Pats roster but I like his talent so what the heck at this point.

7.05 - Mark Ingram - Purely a speculative play.  If Kamara gets suspended before the season Ingram will almost certainly be the clear starter while he's out.  If not, he's an easy cut.

"My hypothesis would be more or less that roster spots are worth considerably more than zero. Especially in shallower leagues, like FFPC where we only carry 20 players in-season and only 16 in the offseason, including the kicker and defense. The rough estimates I’m going to present for roster spot value are likely to be significantly diluted in leagues with larger roster limits."

"HITTING A HOME RUN OFF WAIVERS SEEMS LIKE THE CEILING HERE I don’t always land studs in waiver pickups (or in targeted throw-ins during trades), but when I do, the value profit is real and tangible and it strongly suggests that a roster spot should have a real and quantitative value much greater than zero. At least at the ceiling."

"I WILL BE CUTTING PLAYERS THAT HOLD TRADE AND PRODUCTION VALUE I think I have to call that negative value if that scenario plays out."

"WOULD YOU RATHER TAKE A ZERO AT A POSITION OR PICK SOMEONE UP?"

"I GIVE MY SPECULATIVE PLAYERS SOMETHING IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD OF THREE TO SEVEN VALUE POINTS IN MY SYSTEM"

https://twitter.com/Ship_Chaser/status/1527428415883575297?s=20&t=vG6eTGkyi5vjwQsU4pi-kg

Other cliff notes version :

In FFPC if you have to cut someone with intrinsic trade value, then *that* roster spot is negative.
If you hit a homerun on waivers (J Robinson, E Mitchell), those guys are 25 points (for me) and that is the ceiling.
Sometimes roster spots are just swapping kickers or other non-starting depth so there may be 0 points as a value as you're just sort of shuffling the deck in these scenarios. 

And so on and so on and it is all just me BSing and making it sound reasonable. IDK. I assigned weights to various scenarios and settled on 7-10 points as the baseline for a roster spot. ???

"My hypothesis would be more or less that roster spots are worth considerably more than zero. Especially in shallower leagues, like FFPC where we only carry 20 players in-season and only 16 in the offseason, including the kicker and defense. The rough estimates I’m going to present for roster spot value are likely to be significantly diluted in leagues with larger roster limits."

"HITTING A HOME RUN OFF WAIVERS SEEMS LIKE THE CEILING HERE I don’t always land studs in waiver pickups (or in targeted throw-ins during trades), but when I do, the value profit is real and tangible and it strongly suggests that a roster spot should have a real and quantitative value much greater than zero. At least at the ceiling."

"I WILL BE CUTTING PLAYERS THAT HOLD TRADE AND PRODUCTION VALUE I think I have to call that negative value if that scenario plays out."

"WOULD YOU RATHER TAKE A ZERO AT A POSITION OR PICK SOMEONE UP?"

"I GIVE MY SPECULATIVE PLAYERS SOMETHING IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD OF THREE TO SEVEN VALUE POINTS IN MY SYSTEM"

https://twitter.com/Ship_Chaser/status/1527428415883575297?s=20&t=vG6eTGkyi5vjwQsU4pi-kg
Boy, you’re doing a lot of shouting in that article ;)

Ugh in a SF league I've got an offer of Ridley for my 2023 2nd. My team is stacked and it would probably be a late 2nd. But I'm having a hard team seeing how I would be able to roster him inseason and then thru the March cuts next year. Almost rather let other dude hold him then I buy later. IDK.

Ugh in a SF league I've got an offer of Ridley for my 2023 2nd. My team is stacked and it would probably be a late 2nd. But I'm having a hard team seeing how I would be able to roster him inseason and then thru the March cuts next year. Almost rather let other dude hold him then I buy later. IDK.
I don’t want to own Ridley if I don’t already. Let the other team use  a roster spot on him. 

I have Ridley in superflex and would love to get a '23 R2 for him. No one in FFPC is buying for that price, and no one is selling for lower than that (in my leagues, at least). 

It would hurt less if I could at least put him on IR. Maybe Atlanta can say that Ridley was temporarily insane when he placed those dumb bets and put him on IR with a brain injury?

I would give up a projected late 2023# 2 for him on some teams but hate the fact I could not do it on several more.  Just no way I could find that roster space on a few teams.

I would have given up a late 2022#2 for him on all teams however.  I don't know how to explain this well but on teams that are especially deep I can't stand giving up valuable future picks. My rationale being I know cuts are already going to be brutal I feel it's key to retain as many assets post cuts as possible versus cashing in on a post cut asset to make my cuts more difficult.

I had a scenario like this play out in one of my rookie drafts, the only league of mine someone cut Ridley. I had no picks in round 2.  I tried hard to get one but one guy owned most of the picks and all he wanted was at least a 2023#2. I'd have drafted him from pick 2.8 on but could not get a pick because I not only wanted Ridley but also  my  main nemesis in that league for most of last 6 years  was sitting there at 3.1 and I was trying everything I could to move up and get Ridley because I know he knows value when he see's it. He got him.

My Rookie Draft in our FBG FFPC league

I went heavy RB in last years startup as it's easier to acquire quality rookie and vet WR's than it is quality RB's going forward, especially if you are a perennial playoff team that's always drafting at the back end of the first round.

Last year I drafted D.Cook, J.Mixon and N.Chubb with my first 3 picks and added C.Patterson via waivers.

1.10 - WR G.Pickens

Debated Pickens and J.Cook and decided I wanted Pickens upside and my need was more tilted to WR over RB

2.08 - RB K.Williams

Really wanted Alec Pierce here but Meno snipped him at 2.07 After that the debate was Williams or B.Robinson. I chose Williams even after the terrible combine numbers but prior to the combine he was significantly above Robinson in the rankings. Combine numbers are not the end all be all, heck Jerry Rice, Cooper Kupp and Keenan Allen all ran above 4.7

Yes, Williams is behind Ackers and Henderson but who knows how Cam will be post injury, it was a mixed bag at best in the playoffs. Hendo might be gone after this season, so there's a small window of opportunity. Robinson will deal with Gibson for 3 years minimum and breida for this  

3.09 - TE J.Smith 

Not much I liked on the board here. I need TE insurance in case Gronk Smash doesn't come back.

4.02 - TE L.Thomas, more Gronk insurance as he was my only rostered TE. I'm long in the tooth at the position but I have quality vets that shouldn't cripple me at the position.

4.10 - RB A.Smith

UFDA flyer that may get a chance if Kamara's legal issues dictate.

5.10 - Defense/Special Teams Pittsburgh

In FFPC dynasties, I stream kickers and defenses. Somehow I ended last season with the Vikings, this will be an upgrade, albeit a very repressed scoring system that really doesn't have much value from the #3/4 teams to the #13/14 teams

6.10 - WR C.Austin A pure what the heck dart throw. I already took G.Pickens and now I couple him with his rookie roommate. 

7.10 - WR Robbie Anderson I needed another WR, thought he was the best of what was left. QB situation isn't great. Darnold and Anderson had good chemistry a few years back, not last year though.

Users who are viewing this thread