What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fields NFL trade value? (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
Spinning off a Mac32 post:

Suppose all 31 teams assume the Bears will draft a QB then what is Fields' trade value?

Suppose all 31 teams assume the Bears will draft a QB then what is Fields' trade value?
I'll stick with what I said in that thread. 3 1st round picks. Fields has demonstrated elite game changing ability as a runner, and while passing has been spotty, I think many (most?) other teams would chalk that up to supporting cast more than anything else. Fields still has 2 years left on his rookie deal, with a 3rd option year, and showed clear improvement from 2021 to 2022.

I can see preferring Bryce Young to him, especially if you have an offense set in place, that doesn't ask the QB to leave the pocket so much, but I have a hard time seeing any case for CJ Stroud over Fields. Just nowhere near the upside. Levis is interesting, I'm a Levis fan, and could make a case for him having an even higher ceiling, but his floor is lower for sure. Levis gives me a Herbert vibe, where the tools greatly outweigh the production, and neither had much in the way of help around them. I think people have forgotten Herbert was viewed as a very risky prospect when he was drafted.

The issue the Bears run into, is that if they are looking to deal him, it signals to teams that they are taking a QB, and they won't get that high of a return, as they would for the #1 pick. That, and Fields arguably already being the best Bears QB of the last 30 years, are why I think trading Fields is highly unlikely. They won't get what he's worth, and teams will offer more for the #1 pick.

I'll stick with what I said in that thread. 3 1st round picks. Fields has demonstrated elite game changing ability as a runner, and while passing has been spotty, I think many (most?) other teams would chalk that up to supporting cast more than anything else. Fields still has 2 years left on his rookie deal, with a 3rd option year, and showed clear improvement from 2021 to 2022.

I can see preferring Bryce Young to him, especially if you have an offense set in place, that doesn't ask the QB to leave the pocket so much, but I have a hard time seeing any case for CJ Stroud over Fields. Just nowhere near the upside. Levis is interesting, I'm a Levis fan, and could make a case for him having an even higher ceiling, but his floor is lower for sure. Levis gives me a Herbert vibe, where the tools greatly outweigh the production, and neither had much in the way of help around them. I think people have forgotten Herbert was viewed as a very risky prospect when he was drafted.

The issue the Bears run into, is that if they are looking to deal him, it signals to teams that they are taking a QB, and they won't get that high of a return, as they would for the #1 pick. That, and Fields arguably already being the best Bears QB of the last 30 years, are why I think trading Fields is highly unlikely. They won't get what he's worth, and teams will offer more for the #1 pick.
This is just insanity. QB's need to be able to you know pass the ball, or they won't be around long in the NFL.

Maybe I missed something along the way, but I don't think Fields is all that good.
I think you could justify drafting a QB at #1 even if they don't trade Fields. That won't happen, just saying.
But yeah, if they can get decent trade value for Fields, absolutely entertain that idea.
Or, if they can get a haul for the #1, obviously entertain that as well.
Edit....three firsts for Fields is certainly not happening

I appreciate @travdogg and his POV but i don't believe Fields is worth that kind of trade equity involving multiple 1st round picks.
I think the difference between a QB rushing for 100 yds in FF vs what he actually does to opposing defenses are different.
He still managed to rack up a 3-14 record and lose the last 8-9-10 in a row?!
If Chicago has a chance to Draft a QB that is a surefire hit, they must take that player or trade back a couple spots, I'm not sold on the 190 lb Bryce from Bama based on recent undersized NFL prospects coming into the NFL.

Good topic @Bri

I would also expand this conversation to teams with high Draft picks and also a potential/perceived franchise QB on the roster already, some getting paid huge dollars.

Arizona: Kyler Murray, 3rd overall pick in the '23 NFL Draft...what is he worth, 5 1st-Rd picks? If Fields is getting talk of 3, what is Murray worth? Nothing you say?
🤷‍♂️

Draft order and QB POV...I posted this in another thread, feels relevant to the discussion we're having
1. Chicago-Have their QB maybe, not hearing a change of coaching, why not? Worst record in the NFL
2. Houston-Likely to draft a QB, depends on the next Head Coach
3. Arizona-Kyler Murray likely to miss a chunk of '23, just had surgery and was worse than just a clean ACL tear from what i was reading. New Coach?
4. Indianapolis-No QB and an owner that can be very involved and disruptive at times. Who is taking this Head Coaching vacancy?
5. Seattle-Make the Playoffs and have 2 first round picks to play with. Franchise QB? Time to trade up?
6. Detroit-Fans there seem to think no go on QB right now
7. Las Vegas-QB thirsty right now assuming Carr is gone. Keeping McDaniels?
8. Atlanta-How can they be sold on Ridder? Yes they would grab a QB if they could
9. Carolina-QB thirsty and always wanting to wheel n deal, who is the next head coach and what is the plan?
10. Philadelphia-Amazing they will have a gift 1st round pick. They're good at QB for the foreseeable future.

As a Bears fan, this one is tough. I see above, a few posters that didn’t watch him play this year. I am not sure who can fairly put losses on JF’s shoulders. Have you seen the roster, offensive line?

I watched Superman behind that line this year, he was incredible with his legs and almost impossible to evaluate as a passer. I am not sure what he is worth in a trade, but imagine if the Ravens were to pass on Lamar and traded for JF.

There often appears to be a disconnect between this Board and the NFL with regard to QBs...if Fields was available, he would bring in a very nice haul...the reality of today's NFL is you are usually swimming upstream in a big way if you don't have a franchise-level QB and if you are a Coach or a GM without one the clock is ticking fast on you...Fields is dynamic but does have some warts, but I have to believe a team with solid offensive coaching would be pretty confident they could develop him further in the passing game...the deal I look at is Lance which (I believe) was 3 #1's and a #3...now you have to factor in that we have now seen Fields play and be productive but also have two less years of team control so that would be part of the equation...another factor is how do QB needy teams compare him to Stroud, Levis and Richardson because those would be their other options (assuming they are not interested in FA's like Jimmy G)...gotta believe you are not getting him for anything less than 2 #1's along with some other solid picks and/or players...would love to know what the Bears are thinking with regard to Fields and that #1 pick as they are in such a great spot thanks to Houston winning...I do think a major x-factor here is how is Fields regarded by his teammates...if he is a legit leader and really well respected in the locker-room that makes a deal that much more difficult/unlikely.

Last edited:
2 firsts and some additional compensation (eg multiple picks, a player of real value, etc.) was my initial thought from the other threads.

I guess another x-factor is where that 2022 1st is...if it is from a team like Indy it has a ton of value...if it is from a team like the Commanders it is less and if it is a team like the Giants it loses a little more...gonna be fascinating to watch how the QB landscape unfolds as there are scenarios for about 50% of the league to have a new QB next year.

There often appears to be a disconnect between this Board and the NFL with regard to QBs...if Fields was available, he would bring in a very nice haul...the reality of today's NFL is you are usually swimming upstream in a big way if you don't have a franchise-level QB and if you are a Coach or a GM without one the clock is ticking fast on you...Fields is dynamic but does have some warts, but I have to believe a team with solid offensive coaching would be pretty confident they could develop him further in the passing game...the deal I look at is Lance which (I believe) was 3 #1's and a #3...now you have to factor in that we have now seen Fields play and be productive but also have two less years of team control so that would be part of the equation...another factor is how do QB needy teams compare him to Stroud, Levis and Richardson because those would be their other options (assuming they are not interested in FA's like Jimmy G)...gotta believe you are not getting him for anything less than 2 #1's along with some other solid picks and/or players...would love to know what the Bears are thinking with regard to Fields and that #1 pick as they are in such a great spot thanks to Houston winning...I do think a major x-factor here is how is Fields regarded by his teammates...if he is a legit leader and really well respected in the locker-room that makes a deal that much more difficult/unlikely.
lol at using the disaster of the Lance trade as a baseline.

Mike Tannebaum was just on ESPN (I'm sure people will say he's an idiot yadda yadda but he was an NFL GM) suggested a 1st and 3rd for Fields, which seems reasonable.

I think the real answer is whatever a team is willing to pay, like buying any asset whose market is not clearly determined (unlike the stock market, for instance). All that said, I would think at least two firsts would probably be in play, beyond that who knows.

I agree with others above though that I'd be surprised if the Bears moved on from Fields right now. They know what they have in him and, as others have said, could use their draft and FA capital to bring in some weapons around Fields and help him develop as a passer. If they went with Young/Stroud, etc. you'd be starting over and no guarantee that the new guy would be better than Fields.

With regard to his passing, IIR his accuracy was cited in the scouting reports as among his positive attributes. Granted, it's a lot different when you have the support system at OSU versus having to make quick decisions at the NFL level.

ETA: based on Mitchie's post, maybe I'm off on two firsts - perhaps then a first plus.

Mike Tannebaum was just on ESPN (I'm sure people will say he's an idiot yadda yadda but he was an NFL GM) suggested a 1st and 3rd for Fields, which seems reasonable.

Is there a need to use the childish LOL here? Feel free to disagree because that is what goes on here but leave the 5th grade BS out of it.

2 firsts and some additional compensation (eg multiple picks, a player of real value, etc.) was my initial thought from the other threads.

I guess another x-factor is where that 2022 1st is...if it is from a team like Indy it has a ton of value...if it is from a team like the Commanders it is less and if it is a team like the Giants it loses a little more...gonna be fascinating to watch how the QB landscape unfolds as there are scenarios for about 50% of the league to have a new QB next year.
Sure, but the honest truth is that the Bears as a team have so many holes to fill that multiple 1st and 2nds will go a long way to making the team competitive again. If they are trading out of the #1 pick, then they can't trade out of the top 10 if they want to target competitiveness in 24. If they decide to trade Fields, then they'd need volume in 23 and 24 picks to target 25 as a competitive year.

Sure, but the honest truth is that the Bears as a team have so many holes to fill that multiple 1st and 2nds will go a long way to making the team competitive again. If they are trading out of the #1 pick, then they can't trade out of the top 10 if they want to target competitiveness in 24. If they decide to trade Fields, then they'd need volume in 23 and 24 picks to target 25 as a competitive year.

I agree with that...also if you look at the draft order and who needs QBs they are in a great spot to get a high pick back if they do decide to make a deal involving the #1 or Fields...I was just simply pointing out that the return will have a sliding scale of value based on where it is.

Reactions: Zow
I agree with others above though that I'd be surprised if the Bears moved on from Fields right now. They know what they have in him and, as others have said, could use their draft and FA capital to bring in some weapons around Fields and help him develop as a passer. If they went with Young/Stroud, etc. you'd be starting over and no guarantee that the new guy would be better than Fields.
If they trade down they could get the top WR + extra pick(s).

As a Bears fan, this one is tough. I see above, a few posters that didn’t watch him play this year. I am not sure who can fairly put losses on JF’s shoulders. Have you seen the roster, offensive line?

I watched Superman behind that line this year, he was incredible with his legs and almost impossible to evaluate as a passer. I am not sure what he is worth in a trade, but imagine if the Ravens were to pass on Lamar and traded for JF.
I watched a lot of Chicago games, was an investor in Fields thru several FF leagues.
I just don't think he is a pocket passer yet and I wouldn't hesitate to draft another QB if that player appears at the No 1 spot
Chicago owes it to themselves to have the very best possible prospect and arm at QB as they can find. They already whiffed badly on Trubisky, Fields looks promising but I would not say that he automatically takes them off the table to Draft a QB.

And this would be a tough conversation but I also would want Fields to know that even if the Bears commit to him, the likelihood is they want everyone thinking they are picking a QB so they can trade down a couple spots and maximize the talent they can surround Fields with. He's got to understand it's better for the Bears if stories are going around that they want to grab another QB at No 1. That will get the phones ringing and people wanting to trade. Nobody is going to trade up if word on the street is Bears are going Left Tackle at No 1.

If I am the Bears' GM I want to try and operate from a position of strength and not weakness by a perception that everyone thinks we will pass on Quarterback, quite the opposite I would be broadcasting even if I wanted to keep moving forward with Justin Fields. Now the downside is Fields might think we don't want him and start getting a complex but that's why i would sit down with him and explain the next 12-24-36 month plan to him so he feels like he is part of the solution.

Otherwise that No 1 pick won't hold a lot of weight. And if I were the GM I would also entertain trade offers for Fields on the very very down low :lol:
You gotta work both sides, high level chess game about to start, lots of smoke and mirrors.

I watched a lot of Chicago games, was an investor in Fields thru several FF leagues.
I just don't think he is a pocket passer yet and I wouldn't hesitate to draft another QB if that player appears at the No 1 spot
Chicago owes it to themselves to have the very best possible prospect and arm at QB as they can find. They already whiffed badly on Trubisky, Fields looks promising but I would not say that he automatically takes them off the table to Draft a QB.

And this would be a tough conversation but I also would want Fields to know that even if the Bears commit to him, the likelihood is they want everyone thinking they are picking a QB so they can trade down a couple spots and maximize the talent they can surround Fields with. He's got to understand it's better for the Bears if stories are going around that they want to grab another QB at No 1. That will get the phones ringing and people wanting to trade. Nobody is going to trade up if word on the street is Bears are going Left Tackle at No 1.

If I am the Bears' GM I want to try and operate from a position of strength and not weakness by a perception that everyone thinks we will pass on Quarterback, quite the opposite I would be broadcasting even if I wanted to keep moving forward with Justin Fields. Now the downside is Fields might think we don't want him and start getting a complex but that's why i would sit down with him and explain the next 12-24-36 month plan to him so he feels like he is part of the solution.

Otherwise that No 1 pick won't hold a lot of weight. And if I were the GM I would also entertain trade offers for Fields on the very very down low :lol:
You gotta work both sides, high level chess game about to start, lots of smoke and mirrors.
The #1 pick will be a QB, regardless of who holds that pick. The ONLY reason for the bears to not trade down is if they get a huge haul for Fields and want to target 2025 to compete. As said in the other thread, Poles should be fired immediately if any position other than a QB is taken at #1.

It would take the high first of Houston, Indy, LV, Atl, Car and then either their 24 1st or a player that's worth a first + a little more. Basically whatever value Young has Fields is worth that as he has proven to have the NFL talent already.

To me the Bears should trade Fields.

You take a QB at #1 and reset the rookie contract timeline AND get extra picks to boost that roster that really needs it. I get that Fields took some major steps this year, but he still hasn't shown the ability to throw the ball with any consistency. Plus, it seems their OC is the guy who changed the offense to suit Fields. What happens when he gets a head coaching job somewhere in the next year or two?

Huge decision for Poles.

Fields is worth two firsts. He has proven to be a force at QB with his legs and is going to improve as a passer. He’s never going to be an elite pocket passer and he doesn’t have to be. He can make things happen that few QBs can.

Yeah, a really bad OL and no real weapons to throw to, especailly after Mooney got hurt. A little patience required here as the Bears build a team around him.

Don't think the Bears move him, but if he went to a real team like the Ravens, that would be fun to watch.

I would also expand this conversation to teams with high Draft picks and also a potential/perceived franchise QB on the roster already, some getting paid huge dollars.

Arizona: Kyler Murray, 3rd overall pick in the '23 NFL Draft...what is he worth, 5 1st-Rd picks? If Fields is getting talk of 3, what is Murray worth? Nothing you say?
🤷‍♂️
I would much rather have fields than Murray. Fields loves playing football. Murray loves playing call of duty.

That's not totally fair. Murray is a competitor but he's not a worker. If you've watched the games, Fields has a pretty huge competitive streak and he's made massive strides from year one to year two so you know he's got the drive to improve. Give him his DeAndre Hopkins and let's see what he can do.

Have you seen Kyler improve year over year? He had an amazing 2020 when Hopkins arrived and immediately put up 1500 yards but he still didn't break 4000 passing yards. And since then Murray has regressed.

And the call of duty thing may be real. Kyler got off to a hot start in 2021 and then call of duty got released November 5th. Through October 28 Murray was 7-1 with 17 tds to 7 ints. Then he missed a couple weeks and when he came back he went 2-5 with 7 touchdowns against 5 interceptions.

I wouldn't blame someone for preferring Murray but I don't see it that way.

You will hear rumors this off season that the Texans and colts are trying to move up to 1.1. It will start with "the bears love their guy at 1.1" and then "the colts are really excited about one of the quarterbacks, we think it's Bryce". Then colts insiders will swear there's no truth to the rumors and that they're happy at 4. Then the rumor about the Texans will be that they're not interested in paying the bears price to move up from 2 to 1.

Next there will be a rumor that the Raiders Falcons and Panthers are thinking about moving up to get a quarterback. And one of them loves Levis! And they're making calls about moving up to 3!

Someone will try to claim that this team doesn't like the quarterbacks in this class. The Panthers actually love darnold almost as much as the Falcons love ridder and the Raiders are downright enamored with stidhams upside. None of them are making calls about Jimmy g either.

But at the end of the day I think the colts move a package including 1.4 and a second to get up to 1.1, and the bears try to trade down again to get more picks from one of the qb needy teams. The Texans consider trading up from 1.2 but claim they preferred the guy they got all along. This qb crop is good but not good enough to get the huge compensation we've seen in the past, and the bears will be happy to have 3 picks in the top 35 plus whatever else the colts include instead of a future first and a lower pick from the Panthers or Raiders.

Poles should give a call to Jets GM Joe Douglas to see what it's like when you think you've drafted your franchise QB at/near the top of the draft and it goes sour big time. He's the one that makes the big bucks, but I would think that unless Poles believes that Fields won't be the franchise changer they want him to be, work with the promising QB you already have.

I’m a huge Fields fan and as a Bucs fan who may not have a qb if Tom leaves or retires I would absolutely give two firsts and some other picks or players for him. He needs wide receivers with a big catch radius since he isn’t pinpoint accurate and the Bucs still have that guy in Evans for a few more years.

Last edited:

🤷‍♂️

Draft order and QB POV...I posted this in another thread, feels relevant to the discussion we're having
1. Chicago-Have their QB maybe, not hearing a change of coaching, why not? Worst record in the NFL
3. Arizona-Kyler Murray likely to miss a chunk of '23, just had surgery and was worse than just a clean ACL tear from what i was reading. New Coach?
4. Indianapolis-No QB and an owner that can be very involved and disruptive at times. Who is taking this Head Coaching vacancy?
5. Seattle-Make the Playoffs and have 2 first round picks to play with. Franchise QB? Time to trade up?
8. Atlanta-How can they be sold on Ridder? Yes they would grab a QB if they could
9. Carolina-QB thirsty and always wanting to wheel n deal, who is the next head coach and what is the plan?
10. Philadelphia-Amazing they will have a gift 1st round pick. They're good at QB for the foreseeable future.

Seattle seems like a good trade candidate for Chicago. Base of the deal would be the #1 pick for the #5, #20.

Another x-factor here is what does Chicago think of the non-QBs in this draft...if they see Anderson and Carter as franchise defenders they may not want to get too cute with what they are doing which would make a deal with Houston at #2, Indy at #4 and possibly Seattle at #5 that much more attractive...the Bears really are in a great spot and the reality is what they do with that #1 pick will play a strong part as to whether they become relevant again.

You will hear rumors this off season that the Texans and colts are trying to move up to 1.1. It will start with "the bears love their guy at 1.1" and then "the colts are really excited about one of the quarterbacks, we think it's Bryce". Then colts insiders will swear there's no truth to the rumors and that they're happy at 4. Then the rumor about the Texans will be that they're not interested in paying the bears price to move up from 2 to 1.

Next there will be a rumor that the Raiders Falcons and Panthers are thinking about moving up to get a quarterback. And one of them loves Levis! And they're making calls about moving up to 3!

Someone will try to claim that this team doesn't like the quarterbacks in this class. The Panthers actually love darnold almost as much as the Falcons love ridder and the Raiders are downright enamored with stidhams upside. None of them are making calls about Jimmy g either.

But at the end of the day I think the colts move a package including 1.4 and a second to get up to 1.1, and the bears try to trade down again to get more picks from one of the qb needy teams. The Texans consider trading up from 1.2 but claim they preferred the guy they got all along. This qb crop is good but not good enough to get the huge compensation we've seen in the past, and the bears will be happy to have 3 picks in the top 35 plus whatever else the colts include instead of a future first and a lower pick from the Panthers or Raiders.
I don't see the Texans having any interest in the #1 pick. They effectively had it and gave it away by making a miracle TD and 2P conversion on their final drive of the season.

I guess I am confused over those that feel CHI should trade Fields. He was throwing to guys like St. Brown, Pettis, Pringle, and Harry. Mooney was ok in 2021, but that was based more on high target volume and necessity than anything else. Claypool really did not get acclimated into the offense and was mostly an afterthought. The point being, bringing in a new rookie QB without a huge upgrade at WR would only be switching the QB and would likely meet with the same mediocre results. No rookie QB is going to do well with that hodge-podge collection of receivers. Add in a Bottom 3 offensive line, and IMO there is not much hope for improvement anytime soon.

I watched Fields a lot in college. He seemed like he could hang in the pocket, had great touch and accuracy on deep balls, and was elusive and hard to bring down. It's impossible to tell how well he could do in the NFL with mediocre targets, limited blocking, and less than ideal coaching.

Most people seem to think the #1 pick has more trade value anyway, so IMO, CHI should shop the top pick for a king's ransom. They should be able to get something like two first and two seconds or something along those lines. Use those picks on a WR and a couple of linemen, and that outcome would help the team more than trading Fields. They could probably get twice the picks for the top pick than they could for Fields.

Last edited:

🤷‍♂️

Seattle seems like a good trade candidate for Chicago. Base of the deal would be the #1 pick for the #5, #20.
I think from first glance there is a slight tier drop between the 4th and 5th picks. Stroud and Young should go 1-2, and 3-4 should be Anderson and Carter. Maybe Levis makes a jump into the top 3-4 picks, but as a Bears fan, I'd really hate to lose out on the premiere edge or DT.

I don't see the Texans having any interest in the #1 pick. They effectively had it and gave it away by making a miracle TD and 2P conversion on their final drive of the season.

The win on Sunday had nothing to do with who is making the draft day decisions for Houston...also, I don't agree with this because we don't know how they have Young, Stroud and Levis rated...if they have one rated head and shoulders above the others, I would think they would have all the interest in the world in that #1 pick so someone like Indy or Carolina doesn't trade up and take who they want...if you are Chicago this would be a great match as you can either take who you want at #2 or you could make another deal for a team that needs a QB and cash in even more.

The win on Sunday had nothing to do with who is making the draft day decisions for Houston...also, I don't agree with this because we don't know how they have Young, Stroud and Levis rated...if they have one rated head and shoulders above the others, I would think they would have all the interest in the world in that #1 pick so someone like Indy or Carolina doesn't trade up and take who they want...if you are Chicago this would be a great match as you can either take who you want at #2 or you could make another deal for a team that needs a QB and cash in even more.
If I'm HOU, I beat CHI to the punch and find a team with a Top 10 pick and trade down. The Texans need way more than a QB, and they should be able to still get an early QB while loading up with other picks. Teams may be learning that giving up a ton for a QB doesn't always work out, whether that be for rookies or established players (Lance, Trubisky, Wilson, Watson, etc.). The ROI for some of the early QB picks hasn't been great lately, and if I am an NFL GM and a team wants to floor me with an offer for my Top 5 pick, I would be happy to oblige.

I missed the part of teams and their love for their current QBs. I don't for a moment think the Raiders love Stidham. He could very well go back to backing up Brady again. Darnold played ok against some pretty mediocre teams and defenses. He had a passer rating of 2.8 against the Saints the last weekend. That's deplorable. As for the Falcons, Ridder mostly threw some dump-off, underneath, short passes. Not sure the few games he started told us much about him or how committed the Falcons are to him. I wouldn't say any of those teams wouldn't look to get an upgrade at QB (but they may not do so by trading up in the draft).

If I'm HOU, I beat CHI to the punch and find a team with a Top 10 pick and trade down. The Texans need way more than a QB, and they should be able to still get an early QB while loading up with other picks. Teams may be learning that giving up a ton for a QB doesn't always work out, whether that be for rookies or established players (Lance, Trubisky, Wilson, Watson, etc.). The ROI for some of the early QB picks hasn't been great lately, and if I am an NFL GM and a team wants to floor me with an offer for my Top 5 pick, I would be happy to oblige.

I missed the part of teams and their love for their current QBs. I don't for a moment think the Raiders love Stidham. He could very well go back to backing up Brady again. Darnold played ok against some pretty mediocre teams and defenses. He had a passer rating of 2.8 against the Saints the last weekend. That's deplorable. As for the Falcons, Ridder mostly threw some dump-off, underneath, short passes. Not sure the few games he started told us much about him or how committed the Falcons are to him. I wouldn't say any of those teams wouldn't look to get an upgrade at QB (but they may not do so by trading up in the draft).

If you are Houston and you like Young and/or Stroud you take them now, pair them with a new HC and don't kick the can down the road so you may get boxed in and have to force it later...once you get a franchise QB the rest of your job gets easier...I think the thing teams are learning is don't screw up that pick (easier said than done)...while there are plenty of blown picks there are picks like Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lawrence and Herbert that are franchise altering picks.

The Bears did trade up a decent amount with the Giants to get Fields in the first place, swapping No. 20 and No. 11 overall, while sending a fifth-rounder in 2020, and first- and fourth-round picks in 2022 to the Giants.

While now trading away Fields would likely get that haul back (and then some), it's up to team brass whether they think Young or Stroud is any better than Fields.

Last edited:

TBum was an awful GM. But an awful GM still probably has a better handle on the draft value of a vet than even the smartest posters on a fantasy board.

If you are Houston and you like Young and/or Stroud you take them now, pair them with a new HC and don't kick the can down the road so you may get boxed in and have to force it later...once you get a franchise QB the rest of your job gets easier...I think the thing teams are learning is don't screw up that pick (easier said than done)...while there are plenty of blown picks there are picks like Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lawrence and Herbert that are franchise altering picks.
Probably worthy of a separate thread and a different discussion, but here were all the first round QBs selected in the last 10 years.

2022 - Kenny Pickett (20) - Too soon to tell.
2021 - Trevor Lawrence (1) - Came on over the second half of the season.
2021 - Zach Wilson (2) - Looking like he could be a bust.
2021 - Trey Lance (3) - Has had trouble staying on the field.
2021 - Justin Fields (11) - Not a lot of receiving talent and no OL.
2021 - Mac Jones (15) - Looked ok last year, didn't look as good this year, NE with issues on offense and coaching.
2020 - Joe Burrow (1) - Done very well, but he has a lot of help to work with.
2020 - Tua Tagovailoa (5) - Looked better with the addition of Hill (but has concussion issues).
2020 - Justin Hebert (6) - Has looked very good, remains to be seen if he can be a difference maker in the playoffs.
2020 - Jordan Love (26) - Not much to go on so far.
2019 - Kyler Murray (1) - Done well but some think he is an injury risk.
2019 - Daniel Jones (6) - Played better this year, but not sure teams look at him as an impact QB.
2019 - Dwayne Haskins (15) - R.I.P.
2018 - Baker Mayfield (1) - Did o.k. in limited time in LAR, but he hasn't come close to being worth #1 overall selection.
2018 - Sam Darnold (3) - Hasn't really wowed anyone yet.
2018 - Josh Allen (7) - Clearly a hit.
2018 - Josh Rosen (10) - Clearly a miss.
2018 - Lamar Jackson (32) - regular season HOFer.
2017 - Mitchell Trubisky (2) - Clearly a miss.
2017 - Patrick Mahomes (10) - Clearly a hit.
2017 - Deshaun Watson (12) - Remains to be seen if he will come close to earning his contract.
2016 - Jared Goff (1) - Looked better with the Lions, but is he a difference maker?
2016 - Carson Wentz (2) - Mostly struck out on three teams.
2016 - Paxton Lynch (26) - Clearly a miss.
2015 - Jameis Winston (1) - Not a lot of teams looking at him as a solution.
2015 - Marcus Mariota (2) - Fewer teams looking at him as a solution than Winston.
2014 - Blake Bortles (3) - Clearly a miss.
2014 - Johnny Manziel (22) - Clearly a super miss.
2014 - Teddy Bridgewater (32) - Bounced around as both a mediocre starter and backup.
2013 - EJ Manual (16) - Clearly a miss.
2012 - Andrew Luck (1) - Was very good before retiring.
2012 - Robert Griffin (2) - Had a great first year but wasn't the same after his knee injury.
2012 - Ryan Tannehill (8) - Was good enough to start 148 games . . . but would anyone rave about Tannehill?
2012 - Brandon Wheeden (22) - Clearly a miss.

That's 34 first round picks. Many (most) people would say Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Watson, and Jackson were big hits (Luck would have been, but at this point he's not in the league). Maybe Lawrence will live up to his hype. Call that 8 guys that were very good or better. Maybe the other guys develop, but that's a lot of draft capital for guys that really didn't pan out. I get it, teams are nowhere without a good QB, and teams will always inflate the value of a QB on draft day. But the way things have gone, I'd rather take three #1 picks or two #1's and two #2's rather than take a guy that might flame out pretty quickly.

Last edited:
When Bears got the 1.1 I thought all things should be on the table, including trading Fields. The more I've heard end of season player interviews, including Fields, I don't think get a sense trading Fields is anything the Bears brass is remotely considering.

My main reason for thinking they should at least consider it is the team is not ready to compete next year and going with a rookie QB would re-set the rookie contract to year one. That and fact that Fields is still a difficult judge with respect to his ability to pass due to a lack of weapons and finally bad roster or not they could not win games.

But again I get a sense they are committed to him and it would be a wildly unnpopular move in the lockerroom and city if they tried to move him.

If they were to trade him his price would start at two 2 random 1's plus extra.

When Bears got the 1.1 I thought all things should be on the table, including trading Fields. The more I've heard end of season player interviews, including Fields, I don't think get a sense trading Fields is anything the Bears brass is remotely considering.

My main reason for thinking they should at least consider it is the team is not ready to compete next year and going with a rookie QB would re-set the rookie contract to year one. That and fact that Fields is still a difficult judge with respect to his ability to pass due to a lack of weapons and finally bad roster or not they could not win games.

But again I get a sense they are committed to him and it would be a wildly unnpopular move in the lockerroom and city if they tried to move him.

Which do you feel would net the Bears a greater return in a trade . . . Fields or the #1 overall pick?

Which do you feel would net the Bears a greater return in a trade . . . Fields or the #1 overall pick?

I was JUST getting ready to post something like this but it would have come off as massive Raider homerish.

If CHI sees Love as the better QB, it's a no-brainer. They reset the 4 year window of the rookie QB contract, they pick up picks along the way, and the get a QB that fits their natural system better. A lot of chatter was done early on about how badly they were using Fields in that system and they were going a poor coaching job of forcing him to do something that doesn't fit his talent set. CHI may just decide to get what they can for Fields and reset this with someone else that fits better?

Reactions: Bri
I think this is a decent thread to really look at how the NFL runs these days.

Fields is a different kind of QB, but he is going into his 3rd year and soon his extention will be looming. The Bears can "reset" their contention timetable with a new QB and a trade of Fields or use the pick to shore up the rest of their team if they think Fields is "the guy"

Now: trading Fields:
Well, I see the most natural fit for him to be in Baltimore as a younger, healthier version of Lamar. Would the Ravens do this? Well, considerinngt hey ike to play the "compensation" game I can see them giving up a decent amount for Fields AFTER they trade Lamar, and maybe give up their first and whatever they get for Lamar etc. Only other team I see in that hunt would be Carolina with pick 9 and maybe another pick. Jets? I don't see fields as the answer but the Jets are a run heavy defensive team and he would make them much harder to defend agaist.

Edit to add:
AFCE: maybe the jets
AFCS: Indy? I doubt anyone else would. Texans can just draft a rookie.
AFCN? Baltimore. no one else
AFCW: Raiders, but I think that goes against what McDaniel is trying to do there.
NFCE: Commanders?
NFCS: all 4 teams likely could go there. Not sure any would.
NFCN: Not happenning no matter what, but likely no team interested anyway
NFCW: No one has the picks or the need if they did

So, basically 5 teams and the whole NFC South are your possible trade partners.

Last edited:

🤷‍♂️

Of the top-10 teams, I can see 3 that have their guy in my eyes. Arizona, Chicago, and Philly. Seattle and Detroit don't NEED a QB, but probably don't have long term options. Seattle feels much more likely to move up to me, as Geno is a lot older than people realize.

I would argue that pre-injury, Murray was probably the best QB (yes better than Hurts) but was held back by the worst HC in the league, which has nowhere to go but up. Factor in his injury and contract though, and he's probably behind Hurts and Fields now.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned about Fields, is he's a phenomenal leader, by all accounts, which is noteworthy, as it wasn't considered that way coming out of Ohio St. He won over a lot of guys putting a team on his back this year. Don't see any reason to dump the HC, worst record was on purpose past a certain point, Bears were more competitive than any of the other teams in the top-6 (counting Denver and LA instead of Seattle/Detroit)

Just my opinion, but I think Indy (Really impatient owner, maybe Packers trade?) and Vegas (feels like Brady re-uniting with McDaniels to me) are much more likely to be after vets than rookie QBs. Probably Atlanta (Tannehill makes sense re-uniting with Smith) too. I think the team most likely to trade up for a rookie QB is Carolina, as they've basically bombed the position since Cam's play fell off 5 years ago.

I think the Titans at #11 are interesting too. They fired their GM, I think in part because of a lack of a franchise QB (sorry Tannehill) which led to constant in-fighting between Vrabel and Robinson, which Vrabel obviously won.

AFCW: Raiders, but I think that goes against what McDaniel is trying to do there.
Wut? There's pressure to win right now. Raiders have the offensive weapons and veterans that a rebuild isn't going to be looked at positively. The defense needs work for sure but bringing in a veteran QB rather than a rookie one would be far better received. Raiders OL played way better than CHI's did and the receiving corp isn't even a discussion. I think Fields is the perfect answer there.

Wut? There's pressure to win right now. Raiders have the offensive weapons and veterans that a rebuild isn't going to be looked at positively. The defense needs work for sure but bringing in a veteran QB rather than a rookie one would be far better received. Raiders OL played way better than CHI's did and the receiving corp isn't even a discussion. I think Fields is the perfect answer there.
I think LV goes all in on Brady and whomever else he can bring with him (Gronk, Edleman, free agent ring chasers, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread