What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Florida late March / early April (1 Viewer)

Beef Ravioli

Footballguy
Hey all, I found out my work is going to have me in southern Georgia at the end of March. I then have an open week and then back to southern GA. Wife and I are thinking about a few beach days in that down week. How far south in FL do I have to go during the first week of April to enjoy some beach time? Will I have to go to the gulf side ( I’ll be closer to the Atlantic side) to get warm enough?

Thanks! 

How far up north are you from? I won’t go in the water until May in the north gulf area. But people from Michigan think it’s nice in March or April. You could go anywhere on either coast depending on how far north you’re from. But the Panama City area is still pretty rough. I would go Atlantic side. 

Last edited by a moderator:
How far up north are you from? I won’t go in the water until May in the north gulf area. But people from Michigan think it’s nice in March or April. You could go anywhere on either coast depending on how far north you’re from. But the Panama City area is still pretty rough. I would go Atlantic side. 
We are from OH. Looking more beach time than swimming and snorkeling. Wouldn’t mind getting in and out but majority would be on the beach. 

Spring break isn't as much of a "thing" on the upper east coast compared to the old days. Early to mid-March should be avoided due to bike week.  The easiest access for you from GA if you are near 95 is going to be Daytona or Cocoa.  It will be warm enough and the beaches are OK for the lounging thing but rougher surf and the sand and water aren't as nice as the West Coast.  If you really want nice beaches, drive the extra couple hours over to the Clearwater area.

If you do decide to stay Atlantic don't actually go to Daytona. Stay north In Ormond or head south of the inlet to New Smyrna.

Another thought I had. When do the spring breakers typically invade FL? 
I think it is usually last couple weeks Feb 1st couple of March.  Flagler beach is nice.  They have a nice pier there also for fishing, you could also visit St.Augustine while there.  Daytona is a few miles south much more crowded a little more touristy.  About an hour south of Daytona is the Canaveral Sea Shore which is my favorite.  It is a true Florida old time beach no hotels or buildings nothing but dunes.  They are all Atlantic side.  It hasn't been to cold this year so water is still relatively warm.  Being from Ohio you should not have any problem with water temp.

I think it is usually last couple weeks Feb 1st couple of March.  Flagler beach is nice.  They have a nice pier there also for fishing, you could also visit St.Augustine while there.  Daytona is a few miles south much more crowded a little more touristy.  About an hour south of Daytona is the Canaveral Sea Shore which is my favorite.  It is a true Florida old time beach no hotels or buildings nothing but dunes.  They are all Atlantic side.  It hasn't been to cold this year so water is still relatively warm.  Being from Ohio you should not have any problem with water temp.
Flagler and Canaveral National Seashore are solid.  The Seashore is very secluded and I love it but don't expect any cabanas or beach bars or anything like that.  It's just beach. The nudists are at the far south.  Nothing there you want to see though. Canaveral is the same side of the inlet as New Smryna.

St. Augustine is cool but overrun with tourists.

Is that one of the “keys”? What about it do you think I would like? 
No it is not.  Those Keys are about another 5 or 6 hours depending on traffic from Siesta.  Siesta is very beautiful lots of shells and sand dollars great beaches.  Most barrier islands off Florida's coasts are called keys.  Really depends where you are coming from in Georgia.  If 75 is closer then somewhere on west coast.  If 95 is closer then east coast would probably be more convenient.  Also those keys have no real beaches to speak of.

Long Boat Key or Sanibel Island if you’re willing to drive a bit...probably 4 to 6 hours south on 75, respectively.  Those are my 2 favorite gulf side destinations 

I have been in Destin in early April. it was 65 and sunny and all the Michigan people were laying out with swim suits and drinking...the locals had down jackets and wool hats on.

Given your wants drive a little extra and go to Siesta Key
Just found out we're taking a family trip down to Siesta Key the first week of April.  Will be my wife and I, our boys (12, 10) her sister and her boys (13, 11) and their parents.  We've never been there, care to give any advice for restaurants, bars, activities?  Worth renting bikes down there?

If you're swimming on the east coast of FL, watch out for  :shark:
Eh, the sharks in the surf are all little and stop once they taste blood. They really aren't interested in eating humans. If you're really concerned just stay out of the surf if the water is murky or if there is a lot of visible bait.

Just found out we're taking a family trip down to Siesta Key the first week of April.  Will be my wife and I, our boys (12, 10) her sister and her boys (13, 11) and their parents.  We've never been there, care to give any advice for restaurants, bars, activities?  Worth renting bikes down there?
It was a great experience for a group of 24 year old's on spring break that were looking to avoid underclassmen - and with just enough night life and a lot of kinda quiet but not too quiet beach.  I made a mental note to go back there as a family, but when the kids were also old enough to leave on their own. Or maybe don't take them at all

So that probably didn't help you at all.  

St Armand’s Circle in Sarasota...great “city center” place to walk around and eat/shop/sight see

If you want to stay close to the GA border then Amelia Island is the ticket, water will be chilly. But awesome beach (Fernandina Beach) and golf.

The sand is hard enough to ride by the water line. Very pretty beaches, I always bring the beach cruisers.

Ron Swanson said:
Filled with about 500,000 lone wolves all expressing their rugged individuality at the moment.
When I lived in Florida, we always went to Daytona for a day, and sometimes spent the night, during bike week.  I found the bikers were better behaved than the spring breakers. It was fun to hang out and people watch. 

When I lived in Florida, we always went to Daytona for a day, and sometimes spent the night, during bike week.  I found the bikers were better behaved than the spring breakers. It was fun to hang out and people watch. 
I know the merchants would much rather have the bikers than the spring breakers.

Its a bit different when its 24/7 for a couple weeks straight. *get off my lawn*.👴

Users who are viewing this thread