What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Florida Politics (4 Viewers)

Scoop — @RonDeSantisFL campaign has told organizers @GovRonDeSantis will not participate in televised Oct. 20 debate v. @CharlieCrist. No other Gov. race debate dates are locked in, although there are requests from @CNN, etc. #FlaPol
There really is no benefit. Doesnt surprise me at all
I was going to post the same thing. I don’t really hold this against DeSantis because it’s straight out of the frontrunner’s playbook. Fetterman is making similar noises. (To be clear, I think both of them should debate, just that I’m not surprised they’re resistant to the idea).

That said, I think the norm around all candidates being expected to debate is rapidly eroding. I predict the 2024 presidential election will be the first since 1972 without general election debates (especially if Trump is the nominee) and once that happens, it will accelerate the trend across all races

That said, I think the norm around all candidates being expected to debate is rapidly eroding.
That’s crap.

Also, they should have advanced Nikki. She would fight. Crist? Seems kind of lame. But, if it’s authoritarianism vs. regular conservative, I’d support regular conservative certainly.

I don’t live in FL, full disclosure.

That said, I think the norm around all candidates being expected to debate is rapidly eroding.
That’s crap.

Also, they should have advanced Nikki. She would fight. Crist? Seems kind of lame. But, if it’s authoritarianism vs. regular conservative, I’d support regular conservative certainly.

I don’t live in FL, full disclosure.
Crap as in you disagree with me, or crap as in your agree with me and think it’s a bad thing that this is happening?

As for Fried, I’m always skeptical of arguments that candidates who lost in the primary -- and she got absolutely creamed -- would do better in the general

Crap as in you disagree with me, or crap as in your agree with me and think it’s a bad thing that this is happening?
The not debating trend is crap, and yes we agree it’s a bad thing that it’s happening.
Is it though? I cant think of a single debate i ever watched where they actually answered the questions or where i learned something new about the candidate. Technology just seems to have rendered these things pointless.

Is it though? I cant think of a single debate i ever watched where they actually answered the questions or where i learned something new about the candidate. Technology just seems to have rendered these things pointless.
Sure, I get where this is coming from. But with debates, there’s also a sense of civility. The candidates have to share a stage, address one another, and voters can judge who they felt did a better job. Avoiding debates to me seems like a big middle finger to the other candidate and to the voters, and somewhat cowardly to be frank.

Glenna Milberg and Michael Putney do a great job on "This Week in South Florida." They interviewed Karla Hernandez-Mats, who is Crist's running mate. She's a teacher and union president from Miami-Dade. She was a bit combative, but gave some good replies to DeSantis' marginalization of the teaching profession. I don't think she's a difference maker one way or the other. Like most incombent governors, DeSantis should win.

They also interviewed the attorney who represents the guy in south Dade who was arrested by a swat team at 6am in the morning - FOR VOTING!. The confusion between Tallahassee elections people, local elections people, and the DeSantis appointed head of the new election fraud unit makes me think this case, and others, will be dismissed.

Clear case of overreach and pandering to election fraud claims by Trump.

Sure, I get where this is coming from. But with debates, there’s also a sense of civility. The candidates have to share a stage, address one another, and voters can judge who they felt did a better job. Avoiding debates to me seems like a big middle finger to the other candidate and to the voters, and somewhat cowardly to be frank.
Oh yeah....its cowardly, no doubt. For me its always a big middle finger when they refuse to answer the questions. Id rather they not have it.

"mistakenly"
Yes, they believed (and in some cases were told by government officials) that they were eligible, so they checked the box. I would describe that as an honest mistake. How would you describe it? And do you think they should be prosecuted as felons?
Just saying, you see a lot on your side as "mistakes" but don't ever seem to see that on the other side.
Do yiu have examples of the other side being busted for voting when the state told them they could?

"mistakenly"
Yes, they believed (and in some cases were told by government officials) that they were eligible, so they checked the box. I would describe that as an honest mistake. How would you describe it? And do you think they should be prosecuted as felons?
Just saying, you see a lot on your side as "mistakes" but don't ever seem to see that on the other side.
Do yiu have examples of the other side being busted for voting when the state told them they could?
Why would I need examples when that wasn't the observation I was commenting on.

"mistakenly"
Seems exactly what was being talked about is those he had arrested using swat.

"mistakenly"
Maybe drop the Delphic Oracle bit and explain what your point is

Oh yeah....its cowardly, no doubt. For me its always a big middle finger when they refuse to answer the questions. Id rather they not have it.
Apparently they will debate, so hopefully they answer the questions and give it a quality effort. Good for them agreeing to do one. It feels like that’s a positive outcome nowadays.

"mistakenly"
I already did that. You frequently use the word "mistakenly" to excuse wrongdoing on the left.

Apparently they will debate, so hopefully they answer the questions and give it a quality effort. Good for them agreeing to do one. It feels like that’s a positive outcome nowadays.
There's a first time for everything I guess :shrug: I just don't expect that first time to be out of either of these dolts.

"mistakenly"
I already did that. You frequently use the word "mistakenly" to excuse wrongdoing on the left.
“Frequently”? When else have I done it?

According to the new search function, you have used the word "mistakenly" exactly twice before in this forum:

1. on August 17, when you wrote that people mistakenly assumed that the Balanced Budget Act reduced the deficit.

2. on April 14, when you wrote that Daniel Snyder mistakenly believes that he is a good owner.

In neither case did you use the word to "excuse wrongdoing" (as Norville claimed), nor did you use it to defend "the left" (as Norville claimed).

I would therefore conclude that Norville either: A) confused you with a different person, or B) fabricated an accusation out of whole cloth.

There's a first time for everything I guess :shrug: I just don't expect that first time to be out of either of these dolts.
I kind of agree with both of you. Debates suck, they don't raise the overall level of discourse, and they are far less important than most people think (one of my biggest pet peeves is during a presidential primary when people say, "Just imagine him on the debate stage with [hated opponent]!")

But I also think if they disappear completely, it will be one more step in the deterioration of our politics. That first Biden-Trump debate in '20 evoked a lot of feelings in me, but the overwhelming one was of sadness.

I kind of agree with both of you. Debates suck, they don't raise the overall level of discourse, and they are far less important than most people think (one of my biggest pet peeves is during a presidential primary when people say, "Just imagine him on the debate stage with [hated opponent]!")

But I also think if they disappear completely, it will be one more step in the deterioration of our politics. That first Biden-Trump debate in '20 evoked a lot of feelings in me, but the overwhelming one was of sadness.
I'm trying to keep in mind that I am one who puts ZERO value in debates and if I'm being honest, I judge those who do and make it a requirement to be part of the process. Hey, I'm not perfect!!!! But in my view, I think the bold is close to my view, but I'd alter it to say "one more way to show the deterioration of our politics". While politicians may have never really answered the questions before, they always put a valiant effort into not answering the questions but sounding like they did. This was the theater of it all before people ever thought about looking behind the curtain. Well, with technology, 24-hour news, and the sound-byte media, that curtain doesn't even exist anymore and it's completely obvious to me that the actors don't care, a single bit to even try and pretend the curtain exists.

"mistakenly"
We're going in circles here. As I mentioned earlier you stated in posts that are no longer there after I pointed it out.

According to the new search function, you have used the word "mistakenly" exactly twice before in this forum:

1. on August 17, when you wrote that people mistakenly assumed that the Balanced Budget Act reduced the deficit.

2. on April 14, when you wrote that Daniel Snyder mistakenly believes that he is a good owner.

In neither case did you use the word to "excuse wrongdoing" (as Norville claimed), nor did you use it to defend "the left" (as Norville claimed).

I would therefore conclude that Norville either: A) confused you with a different person, or B) fabricated an accusation out of whole cloth.
Very telling that's it's not even an option that I'm telling the truth. :lmao:

"mistakenly"
We're going in circles here. As I mentioned earlier you stated in posts that are no longer there after I pointed it out.
I went back and edited posts in order to counter an accusation I didn't even understand?

I'm not trying to play gotcha here. I genuinely don't understand what you're accusing me of. I have no memory of editing any of my posts, other than maybe some minor fixes right after I posted. I certainly didn't edit them as a result of anything you wrote. What is it that you think I deleted?

More importantly, since I find this whole back-and-forth incredibly tedious and I'm sure others find it even more so, how does any of this relate to the original discussion, which is whether DeSantis was right to hold a major press conference to announce he had struck a blow against "voter fraud" by arresting a bunch of people who appear to have registered as a result of bureaucratic miscommunications?

"mistakenly"
I went back and edited posts in order to counter an accusation I didn't even understand?

I'm not trying to play gotcha here. I genuinely don't understand what you're accusing me of. I have no memory of editing any of my posts, other than maybe some minor fixes right after I posted. I certainly didn't edit them as a result of anything you wrote. What is it that you think I deleted?

More importantly, since I find this whole back-and-forth incredibly tedious and I'm sure others find it even more so, how does any of this relate to the original discussion, which is whether DeSantis was right to hold a major press conference to announce he had struck a blow against "voter fraud" by arresting a bunch of people who appear to have registered as a result of bureaucratic miscommunications?
Agreed. Just a minor observation that things on the were repeatedly characterized as mistakes. It was mildly amusing when those posts went away and then you started with the "Gee I have no idea what you're talking about". I'll drop it.

"mistakenly"

Agreed. Just a minor observation that things on the were repeatedly characterized as mistakes. It was mildly amusing when those posts went away and then you started with the "Gee I have no idea what you're talking about". I'll drop it.
I’ll drop it, too, other than to say I promise I did not do anything like what you’re accusing me of

My wife put the Miami-Dade School Board meeting on the radio earlier tonight as they were debating the proposed LGBTQ curriculum. She was getting really worked up about some of the statements people were making, and I had to remind her (and myself) that lots of crazy people show up and make statements about all sorts of subjects at school board meetings. You could be debating a proposal declaring that puppies are cute and someone would show up and claim puppies are the spawns of Satan.

That said, it was disheartening in the Year of Our Lord 2022 to hear such blatant homophobia being expressed in a public forum. These people weren't making nuanced arguments about the appropriate age for children to learn about sexuality. Hell, they weren't even making wild accusations of pedophilia and grooming. They were just straight up saying that they thought homosexuality is evil and a sin and while they have nothing against gay people, they would prefer if schools pretended such people don't exist.

@ignatiusjreilly, A very similar measure to recognize October as LGBTQ month passed last year, 7-1. This year it was 8-1 against. The only difference was this year's proposed measure included teaching 12th graders about the 2 SC decisions, Obergfell and Bostock. And students could opt out of those lessons, which seems odd. Is this a direct effect of fear due to the "Don't say gay" bill and rhetoric from DeSantis?

Outside the meeting room "a contingent of Proud Boys, who got in a loud argument with a person hoisting a trans flag." A student advisor spoke in favor of the measure and argued that students not parents are the real clients. Students will learn anyway about LGBTQ from their friends, TikTok, and other social media. That ship has sailed. I wonder how many students, especially high schoolers, will be wearing rainbow colored shirts in October.

After debate citing indoctrination and Nazis, Miami-Dade School Board rejects LGBTQ month

Last edited:
My wife put the Miami-Dade School Board meeting on the radio earlier tonight as they were debating the proposed LGBTQ curriculum. She was getting really worked up about some of the statements people were making, and I had to remind her (and myself) that lots of crazy people show up and make statements about all sorts of subjects at school board meetings. You could be debating a proposal declaring that puppies are cute and someone would show up and claim puppies are the spawns of Satan.

That said, it was disheartening in the Year of Our Lord 2022 to hear such blatant homophobia being expressed in a public forum. These people weren't making nuanced arguments about the appropriate age for children to learn about sexuality. Hell, they weren't even making wild accusations of pedophilia and grooming. They were just straight up saying that they thought homosexuality is evil and a sin and while they have nothing against gay people, they would prefer if schools pretended such people don't exist.
Sinners?

I`m looking forward to Desantis being my Governor for another term and longer , or at some point being my President.

Hate to say it but that's part of the reason I no longer go to church. Southern Babtist believe homosexuality is an abomination. I just couldn't get past the ax murderer can be forgiven at the Pearly gates. While a God fearing never done any harm to anyone Gay person is condemned to burn in hell for all eternity . Just can't get behind that. Maybe it's changed I haven't been to church in 40 years.

Indirectly related to Florida politics. More so a reaction to the state of affairs in Chicago, since Florida has been a destination for those from up north fleeing the cold and high taxes for decades, even before DeSantis was born. There's no state income tax in Florida.

Billionaire Ken Griffin is moving Citadel, one of the largest asset management firms in the world, from Chicago to Miami, including up to 1000 employees. Miami is booming with 22 towers over 500 feet under construction, and many more already approved including several supertalls (300m, 984 feet). Griffin's company just bought a 2.5 acre vacant lot in Miami's business district for $363 million to build his new headquarters. Now, he just bought a personal residence for over $100 million.

How can SoBeDad get in on the action? I can shine shoes, drive a car, maybe get a real estate license.

>>Hedge fund billionaire Ken Griffin is the mystery buyer behind last week’s $106.9 million deal for Adrienne Arsht’s waterfront Miami estate, sources told The Real Deal.

Griffin, who has spent hundreds of millions of dollars purchasing South Florida real estate over the last decade, acquired Arsht’s 4-acre Coconut Grove estate at 3031 and 3115 Brickell Avenue.

The deal, which set a record for single-family home sales in Miami-Dade County, gives the Citadel founder and CEO a waterfront home about 2 miles south of his future office in Miami.

Ken Griffin buyer of Adrienne Arsht’s $107M estate: sources

There is a book that all Floridians should read. Native or transplant very good read. It is historical fiction. The mention of all the construction in Miami made me think of this book.

Sorry if I shouldn't post this in the FL politics thread but there is some politics in it. The civil war was kind of political right? Anyway a great read about a Florida family from the Civil War all the way to the 60s.

Book is called A Land Remembered.

There is a book that all Floridians should read. Native or transplant very good read. It is historical fiction. The mention of all the construction in Miami made me think of this book.

Sorry if I shouldn't post this in the FL politics thread but there is some politics in it. The civil war was kind of political right? Anyway a great read about a Florida family from the Civil War all the way to the 60s.

Thanks will check it out. I love historical fiction!

On a similar note, any of you ever read The Barefoot Mailman, by Theodore Pratt? It was written in the 1940s, but is set in the 1880s, before the rail line was extended past West Palm Beach, and the mail was delivered by foot to Miami. The plot itself is kind of pulpy, but it gives a great insight into what South Florida was like at the time. Unfortunately it's out of print and it can be very hard to find a copy (hence the ridiculous prices on that Amazon link). I think I was able to find the copy I read in the public library.

P.S. I've been reliably told that partisanship has never been as bad as it is right now, which means that the Civil War was a completely apolitical affair :lmao:

Yes. Great FL true to fiction book. I've given it out as gifts to FL newbs who want history. Tough life back then. Every year the Cracker Festival drives those FL cattle down the Withlacoochee Rails to Trails bike path which abuts my backyard. It's a trip to see cattle driven down the bike path to the festival in Hernando.

Patrick Smith has written other FL gems, I've read them all.

And if you haven't read Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings and visited Cross Creek you don't know ole FL. You can walk around Cross Creek for free just north of Ocala in Hawthorne and relive Marjorie typing out The Yearling in the same spread and walk through the woods to the lake. I stopped in one time on my way home from Gainesville and I was the only one there. Special moment.

Watch this:
WoW! RJ seems pretty level headed to me. The 3:55 mark I LOL!
There's no question she's a loon socially. Of course, that doesn't negate anything she's said legally. She's a loose cannon that should have been left to shout at herself on the side of the road, but Ron and company chose otherwise. Will be interesting to see all the personal attacks deployed to deflect away from the legal issues.

I admittedly haven't followed this story lately, but given everything in that video (assuming it to be true) she's not the one who comes across as a loon.
It's not either/or. It would not shock me at all that she has the goods on this fiasco from a legal perspective and if that's true, there is no doubt Ron and company will do their best "hey, look over here at this crazy person!!!!!!" shtick using her personal life actions to try and deflect away from it.

I admittedly haven't followed this story lately, but given everything in that video (assuming it to be true) she's not the one who comes across as a loon.
It's not either/or. It would not shock me at all that she has the goods on this fiasco from a legal perspective and if that's true, there is no doubt Ron and company will do their best "hey, look over here at this crazy person!!!!!!" shtick using her personal life actions to try and deflect away from it.
This has been in play for a while. DeSantis was quick to go after her and discredit her until she faded away, but it'll be in full swing again until election day imo.

Users who are viewing this thread