What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Flutie Is Pats' 3rd QB Today (1 Viewer)

packersfan

Footballguy
Pure speculation on my part but if the Patriots were planning to rest Brady it would seem to make sense they'd play Flutie a lot. Perhaps this is an indication Belichick intends to play this game for real and try to get the No. 3 seed (which is what he should be doing anyway in my opinion). Again, I'm just speculating since we have no clue what's going on with the Patriots this week other than Dillon being inactive.From RotoWorld:Doug Flutie is New England's third quarterback Sunday.Very surprising move by New England to put Flutie down on a sentimental day where many of the fans in Foxboro wanted to say goodbye. Instead, rookie Matt Cassel will likely replace Tom Brady during the game. Jan. 1 - 11:47 am et

Last edited by a moderator:
Balance this with Dillon being declared inactive.Does it mean Brady is a better play now...or is it a sign that the Pats are pulling back on their starters?

Balance this with Dillon being declared inactive.

Does it mean Brady is a better play now...or is it a sign that the Pats are pulling back on their starters?
Hard to say. Dillon, though, has been legitimately hurt for weeks. It makes sense to rest him today. There's just no way to know. What we do know is the Patriots played Brady extensively in a meaningless Week 17 game last season. This season, contrary to numerous reports I've seen, they do have something to play for which could mean they'll play this as a regular game. The flipside is last season the Patriots had a bye so maybe Belichick played Brady a lot because he didn't want him to have too much time off before the playoffs. It'd be nice if someone had some kind of guess as to what's going to happen but I've seen zip so far this week (and it hasn't helped by so much misinformation being spread that the Patriots have nothing to play for today).

CBS report just made it sound like Brady won't play too much today for what it's worth. They said Cassell will see most of the work after Brady leaves and that Flutie will play "extensively" in the fourth quarter. Sounds like Brady for about a half today based on this news

Balance this with Dillon being declared inactive.

Does it mean Brady is a better play now...or is it a sign that the Pats are pulling back on their starters?
Hard to say. Dillon, though, has been legitimately hurt for weeks. It makes sense to rest him today. There's just no way to know. What we do know is the Patriots played Brady extensively in a meaningless Week 17 game last season. This season, contrary to numerous reports I've seen, they do have something to play for which could mean they'll play this as a regular game. The flipside is last season the Patriots had a bye so maybe Belichick played Brady a lot because he didn't want him to have too much time off before the playoffs. It'd be nice if someone had some kind of guess as to what's going to happen but I've seen zip so far this week (and it hasn't helped by so much misinformation being spread that the Patriots have nothing to play for today).
Last year the Patriots a) had a bye in the first round b) Played a very poor 1st half in week 17. Coach Bellichick sent them out in the third quarter as a punishment/let's get our act togther statement. Brady was only going to play at most to the half.It's always a tough call with the Patriots even on a good day. My best guess is Brady plays to the half. But it's only a guess.

Users who are viewing this thread