What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Focusing on the positive -- GOOD things about the coronavirus situation (1 Viewer)

I don’t remember what thread it was, but someone recently got a dog and recommended I look into it. That planted the seed. My wife was similarly considering. Our girls are ages 3-9, and we figured we would do it eventually anyway. And what better time to do it than when we are stuck home and can easily house train, won’t be traveling anytime soon, and we can all use the uplift in spirits. 

So we took the plunge. No we didn’t get a pit bull from a rescue thingy.  We got a labradoodle. Which sounds pretty gray without the R but they’re actuslly kind of cool. 

It turns out EVERYONE has the same idea right now. We checked the local shelters and they are down to various pit mixes and that’s it, and no puppies. So we started looking at breeders.  Most are completely swamped and have waiting lists that go out months.  

We found an awesome puppy from a breeder through an online middleman. In true Otis fashion we are paying thousands, because that’s just how I roll. But I really don’t care about the money.  Want to try and do this now, and excited to do so. No waiting list, got the pick of the litter from what sounds like at least a decent breeder in Indiana, and we’ll have the dog in a month.

Our girls have absolutely no idea, and I’m honestly more excited for this than anything we’ve done in a long time. It’s going to absolutely blow their minds. 

So yeah, Otis is becoming a kind of dog nerd.  But heavens is he a handsome pup.
Yup. Shelters are emptier than ever and that’s a good thing. I said in the small business thread that it’s time for me to pull the trigger on opening the small business I’ve wanted to open for the last decade+, which is a dog day care, boarding and grooming shop. They have some awesome ones in AZ where we used to live. Came to LI, the ones they have here are dumps. Want to open one, do it the right way, and with way more dog owners than ever now (soon) is the time.

Yup. Shelters are emptier than ever and that’s a good thing. I said in the small business thread that it’s time for me to pull the trigger on opening the small business I’ve wanted to open for the last decade+, which is a dog day care, boarding and grooming shop. They have some awesome ones in AZ where we used to live. Came to LI, the ones they have here are dumps. Want to open one, do it the right way, and with way more dog owners than ever now (soon) is the time.
This! It’s the first time the West Palm Beach shelter has ever been completely empty of dogs! This thing sucks for people, but it seems to be a breath of fresh air for many animals around the world. Meat factories closing, ecosystems becoming cleaner, all the pups finding homes. Give me all of this!

This has become the most beautiful thing for us.  I filled up my truck the beginning of March and the needle hasn't moved off of full yet.  We are saving $300-$400 a month easy just on gas.
Between gas and eating out I'm probably saving $1,000 a month (3 family vehicles + 6 people who eat out way too much).  I may quarantine us until the kids are all in college.

Between gas and eating out I'm probably saving $1,000 a month (3 family vehicles + 6 people who eat out way too much).  I may quarantine us until the kids are all in college.
hahaha....was just going through our bills this AM and we are about $1200 to the good from where we normally are this time of month for the EXACT same reasons GB  :lol:   My truck, my wife's car and three kids in a family who eat out WAY too much...staying at home has been remarkable.

Yeah I posted earlier in the thread we are probably around 400

If I factor in the extra electricity and food 

add in no birthday parties, school fund raisers, snacks at the rink (or where ever you kids play sports), impulse buys at the supermarket, the stupid tee-shirt for whatever event you kid is at.....I could go on. 

I mentioned this in another thread (I think), I have a $10 bill sitting on my dresser from the last time I cleaned out my pockets when this started. Its still there 5 or so weeks later. On any other normal day, that would have disappeared in a hot second.  

Grace Under Pressure said:
When we had our last dog, we looked for shelters around NY and particularly on LI. They were absolutely horrible. No way could I leave my dog for 1 hour in any of them. Most should actually have been reported. We found Best Friends Balmoral Kennels up in Westchester that was amazing. Unfortunately, it looks like they are closed now. Too bad.

Good luck if you do it. I look forward to hearing about it. 

AAABatteries said:
We have an extra $3k this month.  I have no idea how.  I'm afraid I missed a payment on something.

Otis said:
So yeah, point is, we are taking the moment during this situation to add to the family, which is kind of cool. Another positive I hope. 
We now have a new puppy.  Lab mix.  Our bonehead college student and his girlfriend (really his girlfriend) decided a puppy was a good idea without really having a place for it.  So now I have it.  

Some positives - 

I hate going to the grocery store these days unless absolutely necessary.  So our family is now far more resourceful with food.  We eat more leftovers and use all of what we buy - no throwing out of tons of uneaten food like we used to.

Since we eat more home cooked meals we are not eating out at unhealthy  fast food places.  When we do get take out it’s through our locally owned restaurants we have patronized for years and they all seem to be weathering the storm for now which is good to hear.

Related to the above and like others we have more money in our account this month - I attribute that to only buying essential groceries, not using as much gas, and less discretionary spending like going out to buy clothes, Starbucks coffees, no movies, no haircuts (had my wife use some clippers I bought many years ago to cut my hair), and no eating out lunches during the workday.  

The wife and I have been working at home together for four weeks now and I haven’t had to post in the relationship ender thread either.   🙂. We actually have been getting along real well.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Some positives - 

I hate going to the grocery store these days unless absolutely necessary.  So our family is now far more resourceful with food.  We eat more leftovers and use all of what we buy - no throwing out of tons of uneaten food like we used to.

Since we eat more home cooked meals we are not eating out at unhealthy  fast food places.  When we do get take out it’s through our locally owned restaurants we have patronized for years and they all seem to be weathering the storm for now which is good to hear.

Related to the above and like others we have more money in our account this month - I attribute that to only buying essential groceries, not using as much gas, and less discretionary spending like going out to buy clothes, Starbucks coffees, no movies, no haircuts (had my wife use some clippers I bought many years ago to cut my hair), and no eating out lunches during the workday.  

The wife and I have been working at home together for four weeks now and I haven’t had to post in the relationship ender thread either.   🙂. We actually have been getting along real well.  
Good ones.  Same here.  We throw out a lot less food, actually use the leftovers, and we're cooking way more at home and eating better.

My variable costs are down almost 50% since this started.  A lot of them I don't see coming back.  

Teaching my daughter to drive is much less stressful with less traffic.  

congrats...shameless plug, if you are looking to get your branding, web site or other marketing materials done, I run a design studio right here on LI...and I'm a huge Rush ran. 

I don’t remember what thread it was, but someone recently got a dog and recommended I look into it. That planted the seed. My wife was similarly considering. Our girls are ages 3-9, and we figured we would do it eventually anyway. And what better time to do it than when we are stuck home and can easily house train, won’t be traveling anytime soon, and we can all use the uplift in spirits. 

So we took the plunge. No we didn’t get a pit bull from a rescue thingy.  We got a labradoodle. Which sounds pretty gray without the R but they’re actuslly kind of cool. 

It turns out EVERYONE has the same idea right now. We checked the local shelters and they are down to various pit mixes and that’s it, and no puppies. So we started looking at breeders.  Most are completely swamped and have waiting lists that go out months.  

We found an awesome puppy from a breeder through an online middleman. In true Otis fashion we are paying thousands, because that’s just how I roll. But I really don’t care about the money.  Want to try and do this now, and excited to do so. No waiting list, got the pick of the litter from what sounds like at least a decent breeder in Indiana, and we’ll have the dog in a month.

Our girls have absolutely no idea, and I’m honestly more excited for this than anything we’ve done in a long time. It’s going to absolutely blow their minds. 

So yeah, Otis is becoming a kind of dog nerd.  But heavens is he a handsome pup.
@Otis that was this thread and that was me with the suggestion!  So happy for you and your family....he's one handsome pup!

My guy Maxwell Corona is awesome....he's only 11 wks old now and already sleeping in the crate overnight with no accidents from 9pm-7am which is crazy.  He's working through potty training like a champ and starting to go to the door to be let out.  Only annoyance we have with him is he's in that teething stage so nipping at fingers and toes.  Not a furniture chewer or anything so that's great!  They say around 6-7 months old they get their adult teeth and the nipping/chewing goes away.  

For your guy, I also really like the name Jasper!   Eventually you could teach him to "play dead" and then yell out "Jasper's deaaad!" and he falls to the ground  :TopGun:

--

ETA to add new Max pics

https://flic.kr/p/2iSvA5h

https://flic.kr/p/2iSvEoN

https://flic.kr/p/2iSre7z

Count us among the groups with a lot more dough in the bank. We hadn't eaten restaurant food since March 16th. 

So last Thursday we ordered pizza. Wife was tired of cooking so we figured - what the heck? About an hour after eating everyone's stomach in the house was a wreck.  :lol:   

Amazing how your body adjusts to good food, and when you drop something foreign in there - wham!

Yup.  I bought a spiral ham for Easter that was on sale for like $12.  I think we had it for dinner 6 of the last 9 night.

@Otis that was this thread and that was me with the suggestion!  So happy for you and your family....he's one handsome pup!

My guy Maxwell Corona is awesome....he's only 11 wks old now and already sleeping in the crate overnight with no accidents from 9pm-7am which is crazy.  He's working through potty training like a champ and starting to go to the door to be let out.  Only annoyance we have with him is he's in that teething stage so nipping at fingers and toes.  Not a furniture chewer or anything so that's great!  They say around 6-7 months old they get their adult teeth and the nipping/chewing goes away.  

For your guy, I also really like the name Jasper!   Eventually you could teach him to "play dead" and then yell out "Jasper's deaaad!" and he falls to the ground  :TopGun:

--

ETA to add new Max pics

https://flic.kr/p/2iSvA5h

https://flic.kr/p/2iSvEoN

https://flic.kr/p/2iSre7z
Awesome, thanks for the idea. And congrats on Max. 

question for the dog nerds: how long does it take to cross over and start liking dogs more than people?

And your top gun comment is funny, because I keep forgetting the dog’s name and for some reason keep thinking back to that guy in Top Gun. I had to Google it the other night and it turns out his name is Jester, not Jasper. But glad I’m not the only one who keeps making the association. 

my monthly savings are up about 1200/month not including vacation savings.  

Gas/restaurants/entertainment...it adds up fast.  Now if I could just find the right time to get back into the market and make boatloads.

So my daughter joined an after school choir earlier this year.  They never got a chance to perform.  So the teacher had them record individually and put this together.  I have to say, I was near tears.
Go ahead and share this or whatever.  I want these kids to go viral.  By the way, the song is sisi ni Moja, which translates to "We Are One".

Miami goes seven weeks without a homicide for first time since 1957:

Crime rates in cities nationwide have dropped as stay-at-home orders keep people indoors in an effort to fight the coronavirus pandemic. In Miami, Florida, there were no homicides for seven weeks for the first time since 1957, according to the Miami Police Department.

There were also no homicides during a six-week period for the first time since 1960. "We can say that it's due to our police high visibility, attributed with the pandemic and the Stay At Home order," a Miami Police Department spokesperson told CBS News.

Miami Mayor Francis Suarez declared a local state of emergency on March 12 to slow the spread of the coronavirus, and the order has since been extended six times in week-long increments.

By Audrey McNamara

3:00 PM

Have not had to go to stupid birthday parties at work. 

Another guy in my department was supposed to get married and don’t have to go to his party or give money for it. 

Don’t have meetings at work now. 

Don’t have my boss and others at work a lot of days now. 

Work 4x10 now with 3 day weekend. 

In short it’s made work a million times better. 

My granite cleaner that I use is like inhaling death. Coughing fits. Just terrible. I have no idea why i never thought to use an n95 mask before, but wow i might clean it weekly now. 

My car air conditioning broke.

They came and got my car and will be bringing it back tomorrow.

Such a pia to have to give up a vehicle for a couple days normally

Not a car guy but was so ready to get out of the house Saturday that I spent two hours detailing the wife's car. Hasn't looked this good since the day we brought it home. No one will ever see it as it sits in the garage but that's not the point!

I just found out that many of the students at a gym I teach at are providing me with a gift card for a grocery store. I just do that part time for very little pay but it is very fulfilling and this gesture really touches me.

I just found out that many of the students at a gym I teach at are providing me with a gift card for a grocery store. I just do that part time for very little pay but it is very fulfilling and this gesture really touches me.
One thing that has come from corona, it has made us learn to appreciate things we may have not given s second thought before. And it makes acts of kindness like this seem so much more meaningful.

Users who are viewing this thread