What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Football a Future Olympic Sport? (1 Viewer)

VikingFrog

Footballguy
The US might finally get the chance to win a gold medal in football. Hopefully Ditka will coach.

"The NFL has gone to great lengths to globalize the sport of American football in recent years by playing games overseas, and it took another huge step in this endeavor Tuesday. The sport's international federation has been given provisional recognition by the International Olympic Committee, according to Alex Marvez of Fox Sports."

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1883636-international-federation-of-american-football-given-provisional-ioc-recognition

Can't see it happening in my lifetime (I am 39)...getting 12 players to play on a team that has been played globally for a while in basketball took a couple of decades to catch up...fielding 53 (or so) man rosters in at least 8 countries would be a huge undertaking. The only way I could see it is if guys were allowed to play for countries where their ancestors were born (i.e. Incognito for Italy for example), OR if they chose to allow continents to field teams (i.e. Euro team, African team, etc.).

Can't see it happening in my lifetime (I am 39)...getting 12 players to play on a team that has been played globally for a while in basketball took a couple of decades to catch up...fielding 53 (or so) man rosters in at least 8 countries would be a huge undertaking. The only way I could see it is if guys were allowed to play for countries where their ancestors were born (i.e. Incognito for Italy for example), OR if they chose to allow continents to field teams (i.e. Euro team, African team, etc.).
Even if all that happened, the US would absolutely dominate.

I am not even sure how possible this is. Football is the ultimate team sport, so if we did put a team together you cant just necessarily take all the top guys and throw them together. They would need some serious time together. I think the USA would be better of just picking one team and rolling with it.

However, given the violent nature of the game and needing the offseason OFF, just not sure how feasible it is to have football in the olympics, and that is even assuming enough other countries could field a team.

And I kinda doubt NFL teams will let their players play anyway.

Provisional recognition is worlds apart from olympic consideration.

This really would be the most ridiculous thing ever. Like, players on other teams might actually die. Unless of course Andrew Luck wants to try to apply for a British passport based on his childhood years here. In which case, bring it on!

Seems pointless. NFL teams wouldn't risk the injury to their players and it wouldn't be very competitive. I'd assume that Canada would cruise to the final as well, though they'd get soundly beaten by the US. Could be interesting to see a few of the European teams play each other, Germany v UK would be good to watch.

No way.

Rugby is more of a global sport and it's not an Olympic competition.

I don't see it ever happening. Would be cool. Super Bowl winners get to represent the USA... Would add some extra honor to winning

No way.

Rugby is more of a global sport and it's not an Olympic competition.

I don't see it ever happening. Would be cool. Super Bowl winners get to represent the USA... Would add some extra honor to winning
Rugby 7's will be played in Rio.
Maybe they could play 6 on 6 Flag Football.

The way things are going, that's what the NFL will be playing come 2050.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would love to see the us dream team play angola and aaron the best ever rogers throw for about a thousand yards whcih would be an all time record and 23 touchdowns it would be pretty awesome and even better if jay cutler was the backup and they just made him sit and watch and he started getting mad that he was not in after about touchdown 11 that would be awesome and also no one from jacksonville would be allowed on the team because it was a dream team and no team that drafted duane poopy pants gabbert shoudl be allowed to have anyone on it take that to the bank brohans

"Nonnismo" is Italian for hazing.

I am not even sure how possible this is. Football is the ultimate team sport, so if we did put a team together you cant just necessarily take all the top guys and throw them together. They would need some serious time together. I think the USA would be better of just picking one team and rolling with it.

However, given the violent nature of the game and needing the offseason OFF, just not sure how feasible it is to have football in the olympics, and that is even assuming enough other countries could field a team.

And I kinda doubt NFL teams will let their players play anyway.
I'm sure Peyton would be able to figure out how to throw the ball to Calvin Johnson and hand off to Adrian Peterson just fine.

God, no. Besides the logistical nightmare, I'd rather they got rid of all the team sports (baseball, softball, hockey, hoops, etc...not taling about stuff like relays) in the Olympics. And while we're at it, junk all of the judged sports too (I say this fully realizing that figure skating probably draws the highest ratings in the winter games; don't care - it's a flawed competition).

If curling can make it in..........
You might not like the game of Curling, however it's widely played by many Countries. That's why it's an Olympic sport. For Football the USA could literally submit 50 teams and they would finish all top 50 of all the Countries entered. Canada is the only other Country with any legit shot....imo.

This will NOT happen.

Why just make the 3-cone drill, 20-yard shuttle, and 60-yard shuttle Olympic events (I know, they only use meters)? Straightline speed is so overrated. I'd love to see a test of quickness and change of direction. Or who throws a football the farthest?

If curling can make it in..........
You might not like the game of Curling, however it's widely played by many Countries. That's why it's an Olympic sport. For Football the USA could literally submit 50 teams and they would finish all top 50 of all the Countries entered. Canada is the only other Country with any legit shot....imo.

This will NOT happen.
I love curling. But really, I can't say it has any place in the olympics. I am glad it is, just saying, no idea why. "Widely played by many countries" to me doesn't exactly mean it should qualify as an olympic sport. Where's darts, billiards, bowling,....hell even beer pong??

But not, this will not happen. Heck we might have some high school teams that would take silver.

Users who are viewing this thread