What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Football or Baseball? (1 Viewer)

Which Sport Would You Choose?

• Football for sure

Votes: 22 10.3%
  • Football probably

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • On the fence

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Baseball probably

Votes: 34 15.9%
  • Baseball for sure

Votes: 144 67.3%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Kyler Murray has me thinking.

Let's assume you were a top prospect in both the NFL as a QB and in MLB as a center fielder.

For the sake of this discussion, let's say you were equally good at both sports.

Which sport would you choose?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm a top prospect in either sport....I think I have to go with the NFL.  Although the money would eventually be bigger in MLB if I was a great player....the up front rookie money would be higher in the NFL.  Plus, I think it'd be harder to break into  MLB...wheras I'd be in the NFL as soon as I signed. 

We talk about guaranteed money, but it's not necessarily true. In the NFL, if you're a first or second round quarterback, you're essentially given a chance to play at some point and the team is committing to you.

For every Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Kris Bryant who are top picks that make a ton of money there are these players who were top #1 or #2 picks overall. Even these players make about the same as the elite quarterbacks in the NFL ~$30M per year. If you expand outside of the top 2 the list is massive. The reality is that baseball is incredibly hard and if you don't succeed, you get your signing bonus of about $5M in Murray's case, but you're making pennies living in small towns for years with massive pressure. Murray is incredibly raw as a baseball player so it is far from a guarantee he makes the majors. Even if you make the majors, you're making less than $1M a year until arbitration which is 3 years of MLB service.

Brady Aiken #1 2014 pick
Tyler Kolek #2 2014 pick
Mark Appel #1 2013 pick
Danny Hultzen #2 2011 pick

I misread the question (aka I didn't read the question). I'd change mine to baseball if I was a prospect. Less career ending injury risk. Way more dollars. Longer career potential. No brainer.

Insein said:
I misread the question (aka I didn't read the question). I'd change mine to baseball if I was a prospect. Less career ending injury risk. Way more dollars. Longer career potential. No brainer.
🤨

I love watching and playing football more personally, but no question I'd choose baseball if I had the opportunity as a career.

There's been a few guys lucky enough to play both professionally, but a guy who comes immediately to mind is Jeff Samardzija. He was projected to be a 1-2 round NFL WR talent in 2006. He chose baseball as a 5th round draft pick. He's been between average to good across his baseball career and has made $88M thus far and will finish his current contract near $128M. Yeah there was risk, but look at the payout for being even a decent baseball player.

I love watching and playing football more personally, but no question I'd choose baseball if I had the opportunity as a career.

There's been a few guys lucky enough to play both professionally, but a guy who comes immediately to mind is Jeff Samardzija. He was projected to be a 1-2 round NFL WR talent in 2006. He chose baseball as a 5th round draft pick. He's been between average to good across his baseball career and has made $88M thus far and will finish his current contract near $128M. Yeah there was risk, but look at the payout for being even a decent baseball player.
...and he can probably still form a sentence without forgetting what he was speaking about.  I’m not going to blame the nfl, everyone should be well aware by now what repeatedly running headfirst into other people will do to your brain.  If you’ve got other legit options though, this is an easy choice. 

Todd Helton won’t admit it but when he became the UT starting QB he got dinged and used the opp to basically quit football...after getting to the point of knowing he was a big baseball prospect. Granted he wasn’t a huge football prospect but he faked an injury basically to get the hell out.

Todd Helton won’t admit it but when he became the UT starting QB he got dinged and used the opp to basically quit football...after getting to the point of knowing he was a big baseball prospect. Granted he wasn’t a huge football prospect but he faked an injury basically to get the hell out.
I’m still quite certain that Kyle Parker took a hit from Nick Fairley that basically ruined him for football. He was never the same and coasted to the mlb draft.  He wasn’t a big time football prospect and he fizzled out playing baseball too, but it was obvious he was done with football after that game.  He made over half a million playing baseball. 

I grew up loving baseball, it was my everything.  Baseball cards, games, the neighborhood kids played wiffle ball in my yard (best yard), the street, and we would ride our bikes to the ball fields and play.  It didn't matter how many people we had ...you could play right side "out of bounds", and almost always played "pitcher's hand" ...meaning the pitcher was also 1st base for force outs.  We played fast pitch home run derby with wiffle balls when we just had 2 or 3.  And we always used "no holes wiffle balls" because they went further and actually curved more. 

I grew up listening to "Cincinnati Reds on radio" in my car porch all summer evenings and loved when they played on the west coast when I could "sneak listen" on my transistor radio in bed.  My no power, good glove act, got me through high school, but I couldn't go any further.  

I don't watch much baseball anymore until the playoffs and it kind of makes me sad.  

I grew up loving baseball, it was my everything.  Baseball cards, games, the neighborhood kids played wiffle ball in my yard (best yard), the street, and we would ride our bikes to the ball fields and play.  It didn't matter how many people we had ...you could play right side "out of bounds", and almost always played "pitcher's hand" ...meaning the pitcher was also 1st base for force outs.  We played fast pitch home run derby with wiffle balls when we just had 2 or 3.  And we always used "no holes wiffle balls" because they went further and actually curved more. 

I grew up listening to "Cincinnati Reds on radio" in my car porch all summer evenings and loved when they played on the west coast when I could "sneak listen" on my transistor radio in bed.  My no power, good glove act, got me through high school, but I couldn't go any further.  

I don't watch much baseball anymore until the playoffs and it kind of makes me sad.  
Baseball still rules 

I'd say if you are a projected 1st round QB, football.

For everybody else, baseball.

Seems interesting to me, and I don't know if the facts back it up, but it seems in recent years the bust rates for both 1st round QB's and top MLB prospects have really dropped.

For the QB's, seems the rule changes and similarities of college and NFL offenses are helping.

In baseball, the top prospects don't seem to need so much time developing and make an impact early.

It’s shocking to me that anyone would choose football. 
Reread Devin’s post again. I was going to make the case for football being more of a sure thing but he laid it out well already. Bottom line is, if you’re going high in the NFL draft you’re getting several NFL seasons and 10ish million as a floor. That’s life-changing, set for life stuff. If you’re going high in the MLB draft you’re getting 1-2M, riding buses, and might someday play a major league game. 

Joe Bryant said:

Let's assume you were a top prospect in both the NFL as a QB and in MLB as a center fielder.

For the sake of this discussion, let's say you were equally good at both sports.

Baseball without hesitation. 

I imagine the results would be even more skewed if instead of a quarterback prospect it were any other position.

Samardzija was my first thought too. If it were me, I'm 99% sure I'd pick baseball.

Reread Devin’s post again. I was going to make the case for football being more of a sure thing but he laid it out well already. Bottom line is, if you’re going high in the NFL draft you’re getting several NFL seasons and 10ish million as a floor. That’s life-changing, set for life stuff. If you’re going high in the MLB draft you’re getting 1-2M, riding buses, and might someday play a major league game. 
Uh, no

Here are the assigned values for each pick in the first 10 rounds:

First Round
1. Tigers: $8,096,300
2. Giants: $7,494,600
3. Phillies: $6,947,500
4. White Sox: $6,411,400
5. Reds: $5,946,400
6. Mets: $5,525,200
7. Padres: $5,226,500
8. Braves: $4,980,700
9. A's: $4,761,500
10. Pirates: $4,560,200
11. Orioles: $4,375,100
12. Blue Jays: $4,200,900
13. Marlins: $4,038,200
14. Mariners: $3,883,800
15. Rangers: $3,738,500
16. Rays: $3,603,500
17. Angels: $3,472,900
18. Royals: $3,349,300
19. Cardinals: $3,231,700
20. Twins: $3,120,000
21. Brewers: $3,013,600
22. Rockies: $2,912,300
23. Yankees: $2,815,900
24. Cubs: $2,724,000
25. D-backs: $2,636,400
26. Red Sox: $2,552,800
27. Nationals: $2,472,700
28. Astros: $2,399,400
29. Indians: $2,332,700
30. Dodgers: $2,275,800
https://www.mlb.com/news/2018-mlb-draft-bonus-pools-pick-values/c-269930084

I’m not sure it’s fair to equate draft positions in the first place since MLB players can be drafted out of high school.  

Russell Wilson was a big baseball prospect, correct?
Internet says 4th round pick out of NC State.  Spent 2 years in the Rockies system and batted 229/.354/.356 with 19 steals in 93 games.

So somewhat similar to his rating as a football prospect. 
He had a stellar college career in football.  His college baseball career was pedestrian at best.  Coming out of HS he was like a 41st round pick or something.  

I don't think he was ever viewed as a high end baseball prospect.  Not sure how the draftnicks were so wrong about him in football other than being 5'9" or whatever.  Dude was a stud. 

• Smile
Reactions: blk
If you are a high draft pick I think you try baseball first and if that doesn't pan out, you came back and try football like a few guys have done.  I'm sure that's not easy, but probably easier than trying to play football first and switching to baseball.

I'm sure there are some that just prefer one sport over the other.  Being THE man as an NFL QB is probably more appealing than being just another outfielder to some.

If you are a high draft pick I think you try baseball first and if that doesn't pan out, you came back and try football like a few guys have done.  I'm sure that's not easy, but probably easier than trying to play football first and switching to baseball.

I'm sure there are some that just prefer one sport over the other.  Being THE man as an NFL QB is probably more appealing than being just another outfielder to some.
Can you give an example of a successful NFL QB who tried baseball first?  I gave 4 examples where QBs who tried baseball 1st fizzled in the NFL.  I think time away from football is way worse for reaching NFL success. 

What do Chris Weinke, Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson and Brandon Weedon have in common?

Kyler Murray needs to find that answer out now.

Can you give an example of a successful NFL QB who tried baseball first?  I gave 4 examples where QBs who tried baseball 1st fizzled in the NFL.  I think time away from football is way worse for reaching NFL success. 
Nope, I just read your other post and was thinking of the same players.  Middling NFL players that hung around for a short time (Weeden is still on a roster).  At one point they did make a roster at the highest level of football/got a shot.

Not being committed 100% to any sport is going to hurt your chances of coming back.  IMO it would be harder to go from fizzling out in the NFL to making an MLB team.

Tebow is giving it a shot/ gave it a shot.  (Is he done with baseball?)  Are there other examples of a player going the other way?  I'm asking because I don't know.

Route taken also probably matters.

I would think HS-MLB-CFB-NFL

would be easier than HS-(CFB & CBB)-MLB-NFL.  Especially for a QB   :shrug:  

Football for me mainly because it's a lot more fun to play and that certainly does matter to me.

Additionally it's so hard to break into the MLB in baseball.  As mentioned above if you're a 1st round picks as a QB in football you are going to get your chance.  There are so many 1st round picks in baseball who just disappear into obscurity in the minors without ever getting meaningful playing time in the majors.

It’s shocking to me that anyone would choose football. 
I’d never pick football but in a parallel universe where concussions, CTE and not being able to walk because of your knees didn’t exist,  I would consider football.  10 times as many games, tons of travel and the season runs March-October.  And baseball is slow and can be boring a lot of the time.

I say try baseball first and if you can’t cut it go to football as a back up plan. See Jay Schroeder. Danny Ainge is another but his back up was basketball. 

AAABatteries said:
I’d never pick football but in a parallel universe where concussions, CTE and not being able to walk because of your knees didn’t exist,  I would consider football.  10 times as many games, tons of travel and the season runs March-October.  And baseball is slow and can be boring a lot of the time.
This was my first thought.  There's a reason they call them the dog days of summer.  How bored must those guys get?  Plus 162 games MINIMUM, and the guys on the best teams get 10 weeks off.  In football, the best teams are off from mid Feb to July, save a few weeks in the Spring.  If you're the same prospect in both, you'll get life changing money in either.  Football 100%.

What if Mark Jackson played baseball but only for a year and in his Topps card you could see the BTK Killer sitting behind him boom take it to the savings and loan Teddy Brosevelts.

There is no 'lock' that he ever even sees baseball at the major league level.  Yet again, turn to my examples of Weedon, Hutchinson, Henson and Weinke.  NONE OF THOSE GUYS MADE THE BIGS.  They never got close.  It's hard.  Hard as hell.  At least with football you'll get a shot to play at the highest level, especially when drafted in round 1.  

My boss played minor league baseball for 9 years, most of them at AAA.  He never once got an AB in the majors.  Life in the minor leagues sucks.  Believe me.  Travel accommodations are poor, the fanfare is lacking and the players are either on their way out of the game and bitter at life or full of hubris and machismo and walking around like they are the next big thing.  The coaches are often raging alcoholics who don't give a tinker's damn about the players in their charge.  No thanks.

Late to the thread. If "top prospect" means guaranteed top 10 MLB pick and first round NFL draft pick, which describes Murray's situation, I choose football for reasons mostly well articulated in the thread:

1. While earning ceiling is higher in MLB, earning floor and expected earnings are higher in the NFL.

Lamar Jackson is set to make $9.5M over 4 years as the 32nd pick in this year's draft. Murray was drafted 9th by the As and is set to make a $4.7M signing bonus, but how likely is it he will ever total $9.5M in baseball earnings?
  2. Weeden was cited in this thread as essentially a bust, yet he earned ~$12M in the NFL, despite playing in just 35 career games so far. 
  3. Just over 50% of college position players drafted in the first round play 3 or more years in MLB (link). But 3 years doesn't even guarantee they play any season after reaching arbitration, much less reach the point of actual free agency and sign a free agent contract.
  4. At the time a player starts his baseball career, he joins an MLB organization that has a full active major league roster and 7-9 minor league teams, which means ~325 players in their system. Of course a relatively small number of them are centerfielders, but that number is considerably more than the 2-3 QBs a first round NFL draft pick is going to be competing with.

[*]NFL year round demands are preferable.

1. Much less travel in football, like an order of magnitude less. Longer offseason in football. These things matter a lot if the player has a family or wants to start one. It would matter a lot to me.
  2. As previously posted, life in the minor leagues is pretty awful. There is no NFL equivalent.

[*]The NFL, not MLB, is the marquee sport in America. Playing NFL QB is playing the single most glamorous position in American sports. This is good for celebrity, endorsements, etc.

[*]With an exception here and there (hello Jim McMahon), the argument about being able to walk, spell, etc. in old age really doesn't seem to apply much to QBs. They certainly take plenty of hits, but they don't dish them out and their brains are subject to substantially less trauma than just about every other position in football other than PK and P.

Voted football for sure.

a buddy's kid, royce lewis, just went from high school to the MLB.  #1 pick over all.  6.75M signing bonus.  saw his dad sitting in the front row, visible from the on deck circle, at the world series.  

if you've got the baseball skills, it's a no brainer.  but, baseball is a bigger gamble.  

a dude at my gym played 2 years in the NFL and made 850K,  his stats......8 tackles

mark sanchez, also goes to my gym.  over 72 million   :mellow:

so, if murray is a first rounder, in football, i say football.

In this scenario, baseball has the higher ceiling, NFL has the higher floor. Very tough call. 
I think this is basically right, but there's also the non-money factors.  CTE and other long-term damage to your well-being for football, and the grueling schedule and the fact that everyone spends at least a season or two in the minors for baseball and being in the minors sucks and there's no guarantee you ever play in the big leagues.  I guess it just depends how you value those things. I've heard enough stories like this one from the Skins long snapper 3 days ago to make it an easy call for me, but to each their own :shrug:

CTE and other long-term damage to your well-being for football
But how bad is this actually for QBs? I suppose worse for a QB who is likely to run a lot, but it doesn't really have to be (e.g., Russell Wilson).

The only QBs I can think of with serious health issues that might be related to playing football are McMahon and presumably Kramer. Am I missing some?

I think this is basically right, but there's also the non-money factors.  CTE and other long-term damage to your well-being for football, and the grueling schedule and the fact that everyone spends at least a season or two in the minors for baseball and being in the minors sucks and there's no guarantee you ever play in the big leagues.  I guess it just depends how you value those things. I've heard enough stories like this one from the Skins long snapper 3 days ago to make it an easy call for me, but to each their own :shrug:
Oh there definitely other factors to weigh: health, love of the sport, etc. 

But how bad is this actually for QBs? I suppose worse for a QB who is likely to run a lot, but it doesn't really have to be (e.g., Russell Wilson).

The only QBs I can think of with serious health issues that might be related to playing football are McMahon and presumably Kramer. Am I missing some?
A lot of QBs complain of CTE symptoms or other brain issues. There's countless examples. I think maybe the fact that they take less total hits than RBs and LBs is balanced out by the fact that they often are surprised by the hits, as opposed to initiating them or bracing for them.

Another way to look at it- the dude from the Skins in my link is a long-snapper. That's literally all he does.  Still had to get 5 epidurals this season just so he could erdure the pain enough to play. Nobody's doing stuff like that in MLB.

Users who are viewing this thread