What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Footballguys 2006 Strategy Guide (1 Viewer)

David Dodds

Administrator
2006 Fantasy Football Strategy Guide

Here is year two of our effort. 100,000 copies will be available at Barnes and Noble, Walmart and other outlets around July 1st.

The link above is how you can get the magazine 10 to 14 days early while gaining a lot of extra value by purchasing directly from us.

Last edited by a moderator:
too late to change Bush's number?
We knew the league would rule that way this year, but like the #5 cover anyway. This is the number he wore for the card companies too which leads me to believe he may someday get to wear that number. This will likely be discussed in the offeseaon and I bet the league tweaks this rule going into next year. It's a lot of money to the league with people changing jerseys, etc.

Daddy, I want a Golden Ticket...NOW!!!

:verucasalt:

Well done DD, JB and crew. This :banned: 's for you!!!
:thumbup: Just ordered,you guys did a great job last year.

Do we get a tour of the FBG factory with the "golden ticket"? I'd love to meet al the "oompa loompa's" that put everything together.

Will any of the "Optimizing Your Subscription Articles" only be available in the magazine or will they all be available on the website?

July 1ST!

And we all thought Christmas was in December.

Samples look awesone..........WISH THERE WAS MORE!

:thumbup:
Thanks Mech. We're excited about the Strategy Guide. We think it's a great way to kick off the season. Obviously, tons more will happen beteen now and Week 1 but that's what the website and this board is for.

Enjoy.

J

"lifetime subscription ($100 value)"?

:confused:
too late to change Bush's number?
Hi PS,Not too late but we love 5. That was official league and team approved number that he'll be featured with in all his promo shots before pre season starts. There will be lots of pictures published him in this number, plus a zillion football cards.

From a business perspective, there's also the very big factor of recognition. Reggie Bush is very recognizable in a USC uniform. Not so much in a Saints uniform. Remember, you guys are 100x more informed than the average guy browsing the bookstore. I worried that if we put what looked like Fred McAfee on the cover, it'd be troublesome.

So after much thought, we went with #5 given all the factors.

J

Shoutout to my Bro David Dodds for the Golden Ticket thing. I love that idea. 12 lucky readers that order the magazine online get to play in a league where the prize pool is $1,000.

Expect the copycat wannabee sites to do something similar.

Hope some guys from the Shark Pool win them. :thumbup:

J

Shoutout to my Bro David Dodds for the Golden Ticket thing. I love that idea. 12 lucky readers that order the magazine online get to play in a league where the prize pool is $1,000.
Great idea. :excited:

I enjoyed it last year.

I'm looking at this link from David's link above:

http://footballguys.com/magpreview_teampages.pdf

it's page 213 and the Chargers preview. Does page 214 have the Chargers defense? Amidst a fine product last year, IIRC that's what I missed.

I see "leveraging the lineup dominator". Does Bruce explain his draft dominator? I'd like to know how(+ how much) some of the staff use his tool/app. IE sorta an evolution of his product and how some non-newbies use it best.

I always get a handful of mags and my thought process is simply Lindy's and a few others. I'll definitely be getting this one and making it part of my offseason routine.

Glad to see you guys are interested in making this an annual event for your staff. It was a good read last year

J
the free stuff listed there is a real generous business practice and IMO a fabulous idea too

J
the free stuff listed there is a real generous business practice and IMO a fabulous idea too
Thanks Bri,We wanted to do all we could to make the online sales as attractive as we could. Having the magazine in your hands almost two weeks before it hits the stands, plus the free camp reports plus the chance at the $1,000 league plus the other coupons makes it a super attractive deal we think. We'll see how it sells.

For any of you guys that don't mind spreading the word (I know some do) helping us get the word out is much appreciated. Thanks.

J

(Couch Potato @ May 26 2005, 03:22 PM)I'm curious -- did the fact that New York is the nation's largest media market play a part in the selection of Barber? Nothing wrong with that. It just occured to me that it might be helpful, though it's probably too minor to matter.Hi CP,I won't say it had a huge play but it definitely made picking a not so obvious player easier to handle. Oddly enough, the other guy that fit the bill for me on the "value" angle was Curtis Martin.Would I have done it if Tiki played in Seattle or Arizona or Nashville? I dunno. That's a fair question. That also gets into the angle of would I have done the cover with Julius / Kevin Jones type guy. Another good question. For me, Tiki had two huge pluses going for him in the "why would you use less than a top name guy?"First and foremost, I fell in love with the photo. I almost hated to put any words on top of the image becuase I think the photo is just fantastic.Secondly, most everyone knows who Barber is. He's very popular and is a charismatic kind of guy. There will be people who know Barber that don't know Kevin Jones.The value thing was huge. I firmly believe that few people won their league last year because of Tomlinson. Everyone expected him to be great. He did just what he was expected to do. Barber on the other hand, far out performed his draft slot. That's how you win. I really think the savvy guy we're going after relates to that.Last, is the NY thing. It certainly made the decision easier knowing how well known he is in that giant market. Designing this cover was actually a lot of fun (I can say that now that it's done) as I thought about a lot of stuff I hadn't really thought about before. J
Above are the reasons Joe listed for putting Tiki on the cover. He was a great value pick in 2004 seemed to be the big reason (along with the awesomeness of the pic itself).So why Bush this year?Name recognition? You kind of touched on that by saying he is more well known in his USC jersey.Value? Are you suggesting Reggie Bush is an important cog in the Fantasy Football Championship machine?Just curious as to the thought process behind this year's cover selection.Thanks for all the hard work you guys do all year round....ordered my mag today and now must pine for almost a month until it arrives. :censored:

One of our biggest features in the magazine is our Value Plays and Overvalued Players. This was validated in the magazine survey as well. Once we thought about things a lot, we thought Bush was the perfect player to highlight this feature. Is he value or over-valued? People are on both sides of the fence with him this season.

Plus who else would have Reggie Bush in a Saints uniform? We did not want to be another magazine with Larry Johnson on the cover.

:rant: :censored: you guys for putting these extras in the magazine to get me to buy it. I vowed after finding FBGs that I would never buy another useless FF magazine and now I had to break that vow becuase you yahoos had to put the extra incentive in there to buy it. You better make sure I get one of those tickets now (preferebly lifetime membership). :rantover: :P

16 different staffers listed on the ranking page, and no Dodds?  :confused:
The projections are mine. But since I did those later than the rankings, I am not on that list. Joe and I have one set of rankings together.It's tricky doing a magazine because so many things are all moving during the 10 days it takes to build things. Because of this we do the rankings first and use that to slot the players in the player pages. The projections are one of the last things to get finalized and are added at the end to the stat boxes, etc. This way the numbering/page layout isn't always in flux. The reader then gets two data points on where this person ranks (staff consensus and my projections).

J
Hey, watch it. I do not need to be lumped in with them. :angry: :P

J
Hey, watch it. I do not need to be lumped in with them. :angry: :P
Sorry, Guy. ;) J

(Couch Potato @ May 26 2005, 03:22 PM)

I'm curious -- did the fact that New York is the nation's largest media market play a part in the selection of Barber?  Nothing wrong with that.  It just occured to me that it might be helpful, though it's probably too minor to matter.

Hi CP,

I won't say it had a huge play but it definitely made picking a not so obvious player easier to handle. Oddly enough, the other guy that fit the bill for me on the "value" angle was Curtis Martin.

Would I have done it if Tiki played in Seattle or Arizona or Nashville? I dunno. That's a fair question. That also gets into the angle of would I have done the cover with Julius / Kevin Jones type guy. Another good question. For me, Tiki had two huge pluses going for him in the "why would you use less than a top name guy?"

First and foremost, I fell in love with the photo. I almost hated to put any words on top of the image becuase I think the photo is just fantastic.

Secondly, most everyone knows who Barber is. He's very popular and is a charismatic kind of guy. There will be people who know Barber that don't know Kevin Jones.

The value thing was huge. I firmly believe that few people won their league last year because of Tomlinson. Everyone expected him to be great. He did just what he was expected to do. Barber on the other hand, far out performed his draft slot. That's how you win. I really think the savvy guy we're going after relates to that.

Last, is the NY thing. It certainly made the decision easier knowing how well known he is in that giant market.

Designing this cover was actually a lot of fun (I can say that now that it's done) as I thought about a lot of stuff I hadn't really thought about before.

J
Above are the reasons Joe listed for putting Tiki on the cover. He was a great value pick in 2004 seemed to be the big reason (along with the awesomeness of the pic itself).So why Bush this year?

Name recognition? You kind of touched on that by saying he is more well known in his USC jersey.

Value? Are you suggesting Reggie Bush is an important cog in the Fantasy Football Championship machine?

Just curious as to the thought process behind this year's cover selection.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys do all year round....ordered my mag today and now must pine for almost a month until it arrives.

:censored:
Hi TF,Lots of things factor in to the cover. We had versions mocked up with Steve Smith, Willie Parker, Terrell Owens and more. What finally pushed me to Bush was that he's one of the biggest questions (if not the biggest) for this year. People have a lot of questions when they look at a mag. How Reggie Bush will fare at this level is way up there on the list. So I thought it made for a compelling cover.

Now we'll just see if it sells or not.... ;)

J

Hi Joe/David

Is this price the same for your lovely Canadian members (shipping etc)

or is this only for U.S subscribers?

... im itching to get my hands on this, great work!

Hi Joe/DavidIs this price the same for your lovely Canadian members (shipping etc)or is this only for U.S subscribers?... im itching to get my hands on this, great work!
The problem is we lose money on anything we send outside the US because of postage. We will see what we can set up for Canadian orders.

Hi Joe/David

Is this price the same for your lovely Canadian members (shipping etc)

or is this only for U.S subscribers?

... im itching to get my hands on this, great work!
The problem is we lose money on anything we send outside the US because of postage. We will see what we can set up for Canadian orders.
It would be no big deal [i'd wait for the mag to show up in stores] except then you go and incent the heck out of web orders. Golden Tickets, training camp reports, lifetime memberships, thongs, pepperoni sticks, etc. etc. etc. You're causing huge psychological trauma up here. Darn you FBG Marketing Machine!!!

How much money will you lose compared to the huge impact on international relations? I mean, this makes softwood lumber, Mad Cow, the Kyoto Protocol and the Patriot Act look minor in comparison. Anyway, if we're desperate [dumb] enough to pay extra shipping, then why not appease the frozen masses and change those paypal settings....

Users who are viewing this thread