What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Footballguys (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark

Footballguy
Long time subscriber that has won a lot of money from being a Footballguys subscriber and message board surfer (sorry I haven't posted this year, been extremely busy, but vow to return next year).Anyway, has Joe and the gang lost a step this year? :confused: What happened to my instant e-mails with Joe apologizing for sending out an e-mail that Jonathan Wells has been placed on IR and Vernand Morency will be the starter? :eek: Luckily, the message board gang picked up the slack and I was able to pick him up before the RotoWhoDehs beat me to it. :D (yes, I am stuck starting Portis, Fisher, and Morency to try and win the Championship) :wall: Come on Joe, step it up!!!! :rant: Bombard me with e-mail updates :bs: Don't let the RotoPunks beat me to the waiver wire next year!!!! :bow: One last thing..... :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: The original "Shark"

Long time subscriber that has won a lot of money from being a Footballguys subscriber and message board surfer (sorry I haven't posted this year, been extremely busy, but vow to return next year).

Anyway, has Joe and the gang lost a step this year? :confused:

What happened to my instant e-mails with Joe apologizing for sending out an e-mail that Jonathan Wells has been placed on IR and Vernand Morency will be the starter? :eek:

Luckily, the message board gang picked up the slack and I was able to pick him up before the RotoWhoDehs beat me to it. :D (yes, I am stuck starting Portis, Fisher, and Morency to try and win the Championship) :wall:

Come on Joe, step it up!!!! :rant: Bombard me with e-mail updates :bs: Don't let the RotoPunks beat me to the waiver wire next year!!!! :bow:

One last thing.....

:towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave: :towelwave:

The original "Shark"
What do you mean about the bold faced part of you r message?

The Joe from past years would've had a "Footballguys Update - Jonathan Wells placed on IR" e-mail in my in-box moments after this announcement. I know he is probably out of town (actually probably in the town I am currently in). Over the years, I know he usually travels this time of year. Just taking a cheap shot and trying to get the fire back in him next year....

Is this the service that you really want from FBG? You need instant emails fired off whenever any running back goes down? Not me, I would rather have the sources available to me in either the blogger, the daily updates, or the message boards. I really don't want or need my mailbox filling with cr*p about players I don't care about.I suppose some leagues are first come, first serve and these things help, but that sounds kind of bush league to me. Joe and crew provide an excellent service, especially before the draft, and I think you get what you pay for.It's the holiday season, family and spirit before football. And yes, I'm playing in several chamipionships in weeks 16 and 17, and actually have to go dig up the info myself. :hey: Lighten up and do a few mouse clicks yourself.

I pretty much agree with Stickboy.Joe and Co. work pretty hard all year round at getting us info, and if they cut back a bit on week 17 (when most leagues are done), I can live with that. Even if my league plays through the final weekendI can pretty much do my own tooling around for this week, which I do during the other weeks anyway.

Trust me, I pay for the VBD Application. Anyone who is any good at Fantasy Football knows that leagues are won at the draft....$1,000 entry fee, $20 Free Agent pick up and $10 roster move isn't considered "Bush League" where I am from. We have a live Waiver Wire meeting every Wednesday night and then it is first come, first serve starting Friday at Noon. Weekly burn of $100 for last, $75 for 9th, $50 for 8th, keeps everyone involved.I have never bashed Footballguys in the past. Just trying to get them some feedback that they may use for next year. Why don't you search on some of my prior posts before you start judging me?If you don't like the e-mails, remove yourself from the list. Some people love that feature. For $25 or whatever, I am getting much more than I deserve!!!! Heck, I think the VBD alone should cost you $100, but since I have been MIA all year, I want to take a cheap shot at Joe :boxing: I want the old BlackEyedJoe back!!!! :pirate: Don't get me started Dodds.....

Compared to last year, the site has been more timely and has made more information and opinion available this year.I'm just sayin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the breaking news emails have always been one of my favorite benefits of being a footballguy... did not get as many of them this year as in the past.I have a couple FBG comments that I am saving for the end of year survey.

guys, this is constructive criticism aimed at making the best site better. He's right about Wells/Morency. FBG's is great but a degree of credibility is lost when you read about it first on Yahoo and still see Wells ranked high on the cheatsheet. This time of year is critical for Sharks. This is when it matters. First come, first served waiver wire acquisitions are where it's won and lost in week 17 due to the incredibly fluid nature of teams fighting for playoff positions, draft picks and injuries. One thing that we need to consider during these last few weeks of the regular season is that reporting as a whole is disappearing from NFL teams. Teams that are eliminated from the playoff race have fans that don't care if Wells or Morency is starting and so the town news isn't reporting to the same degree that they did in the past. This is just a guess but it seems reasonable and a possible cause for the information deficit that us info junkies are trying to get a fix on.

Why do I get the feeling that Shark was flipping Joe some guff and now we have certain members jumping down his throat from their soapboxes? :rolleyes:

I too have found that some free football sites have beat FGB's to breaking information. But I sure FGB will improve as the customer always has the last say (to pay and remain a member or move on) I give FBG's a B overall in 2005.

When did the news break, and when did FBG post it? It was in the Friday Update...This was the first year I did not hit any money in my leagues...it is also the first year I subscribed. The two do not go hand in hand.I subscribed this year to see what everyone was bragging about as being subscribers...I was not disappointed. I found the Running and Passing Matchups to be a great source of Info this year.I think the only difference between someone on this board and the FBG staff that makes them experts is that we pay for the FBG Staffs insights. The info is posted in a few places on this site...so if you are not reading all of it, you might miss something. :2cents:

I too have found that some free football sites have beat FGB's to breaking information. But I sure FGB will improve as the customer always has the last say (to pay and remain a member or move on) I give FBG's a B overall in 2005.
Isnt that why we use multiple sites, as well as the Shark Pool...someone always will be first to releasing info...I find FBG timely in getting the info out there.KFFL is pretty quick as well...

FYI, if you want the latest breaking news at any particular time, simply come straight to the Shark Pool and peruse the top 50 or so topics. If there is a change at RB, or the chance that the weather might hinder the passing game in KC, or anything of substance, there will be a thread discussing it.FBG is the best football site on the web, but nothing beats the Shark Pool, not even the FBG staff.

I've been avoiding jumping in , but I feel I must state that Jonathon Wells is not the kind of player we send out breaking updates on.

He is not a regular starter for the team, and we cover the news on him in the daily updates, which come to you either late that night or early the next morning - that's timely enough for a player of Wells' stature.

No, the news blogger should NOT be for subscribers only.

Carry on.
Even when Wells is the starting RB that week?
Marc are you kidding me???? With all the players potentially sitting this week, a guy that should get 20-25 carries against the SF defense isn't worthy of sending out a breaking update???? The blogger says it was posted at 17:53 (5:53 for you non-military time friendly individuals), but the AP story didn't release until 6:29 PM. Maybe the time posted on the blogger is PT?

I can tell you it wasn't posted on the blogger at 5:53 ET.

Man, I am not trying to make this a hate FBG thread, but Marc if you think that Morency is not big news, why is he in the Top 10 on the cheatsheets today? :confused:

For a league that starts 3 running backs per team, a top 10 RB is huge news, IMO.
Please see my post above. If you're this desperate for breaking news, check the Shark Pool every couple hours. I'd guess 95% of the breaking news emails you get from Joe are broken in the Shark Pool first.

FYI, if you want the latest breaking news at any particular time, simply come straight to the Shark Pool and peruse the top 50 or so topics. If there is a change at RB, or the chance that the weather might hinder the passing game in KC, or anything of substance, there will be a thread discussing it.

FBG is the best football site on the web, but nothing beats the Shark Pool, not even the FBG staff.
100% agree. FBG is by far the best site out there as long as Marc isn't making the call on what is breaking news :boxing: Damn, I may have to change my screen name for posting this thread by the time it is over :bag:

I suppose some leagues are first come, first serve and these things help, but that sounds kind of bush league to me. Joe and crew provide an excellent service, especially before the draft, and I think you get what you pay for.
First FBGs is first rate and I think the best FF site.However your comment about first come first get being "Bush" league is a lame comment. Why is that "Bush" league? A true shark will be well informed and be the first to pick some one up. Lame rules delaying pick ups during the week only benefit the "Bush" player because they need the time delay to get their SH#T together. Tuesday morning should have a waiver system and after that it should be first come first get. If someone can't handle that maybe they have "Bush League" skills :P

In the end you shouldn't slam other league rules just because they are different than yours especially if your rules are the easier set.

FYI, if you want the latest breaking news at any particular time, simply come straight to the Shark Pool and peruse the top 50 or so topics. If there is a change at RB, or the chance that the weather might hinder the passing game in KC, or anything of substance, there will be a thread discussing it.

FBG is the best football site on the web, but nothing beats the Shark Pool, not even the FBG staff.
:goodposting: Agreed...FBG is the best out there, staff & board

Down boys.I think if you have an issue with the quality of the subscription and the service it offers, it would be better served if you communicated that to Bryant or Dodds via email or PM them.

Isn't the whole purpose of being "the best fantasy source" around to give breaking updates on every player you possibly can? Not just the ones you feel are worthy of a certain "stature".If you ask me, that type of thinking diminishes the value of the information you give out. It's fantasy football - if a player is starting, or possibly starting, he immediately has value. That would be like saying you have no reason to give breaking news on Samkon Gado all season because he was a practice squad player at the start of the season and therefore doesn't have the stature to be worthy of reporting breaking news on him.

Down boys.

I think if you have an issue with the quality of the subscription and the service it offers, it would be better served if you communicated that to Bryant or Dodds via email or PM them.
That's complete :bs: There have been plenty of people that have said they PM'ed one or both of them only to find they get no response in return.

More importantly, the board gives members an area to voice their opinion. By starting a thread about it, they can get feedback from other members as to what they think of the complaint and wether they agree with it or not.

I know FBGs likes to keep everything under wraps, but it's nice to hear from other subscrbers what they think of the situation - not just what Dodds and Bryant have to say about it.

Down boys.

I think if you have an issue with the quality of the subscription and the service it offers, it would be better served if you communicated that to Bryant or Dodds via email or PM them.
That's complete :bs: There have been plenty of people that have said they PM'ed one or both of them only to find they get no response in return.

More importantly, the board gives members an area to voice their opinion. By starting a thread about it, they can get feedback from other members as to what they think of the complaint and wether they agree with it or not.

I know FBGs likes to keep everything under wraps, but it's nice to hear from other subscrbers what they think of the situation - not just what Dodds and Bryant have to say about it.
That is not what the Shark Pool is for. This is not the ##### and moan forum for opinions on the FBG's subscription. Are you sending a message? Absolutely. Will it have an effect on the operators, in terms of them improving? Likely.

If all people that have a problem would email and/or PM the operators, would that send them the same message? Absolutley. Will it have the same effect on the operators in terms of them improving? Likely.

Using the latter approach, they can manage their image and I don't have to weed through this type of stuff in the shark pool.

Maybe it is an appropriate thread in another forum.

Edited to add that Marc's reply was not inspiring and :thumbdown:

But save the criticisms for another forum.

Down boys.

That is not what the Shark Pool is for. This is not the ##### and moan forum for opinions on the FBG's subscription. Are you sending a message? Absolutely. Will it have an effect on the operators, in terms of them improving? Likely.

If all people that have a problem would email and/or PM the operators, would that send them the same message? Absolutley. Will it have the same effect on the operators in terms of them improving? Likely.

Using the latter approach, they can manage their image and I don't have to weed through this type of stuff in the shark pool.

Maybe it is an appropriate thread in another forum.

Edited to add that Marc's reply was not inspiring and :thumbdown:

But save the criticisms for another forum.
I agree with you to a point. If you feel this opens the door to numerous threads being started just to ##### and moan, than it's a problem. Leaving just ONE thread open though where people voice legitimate complaints shouldn't be a problem.As stated before, the have been members who said they PMed Dodds or Bryant only to get no response in return.

The other benefit of this, is that people who might not have said anything about their complaint because they feel they were in the minority can now voice their opinion after seeing they aren't the only ones who noticed the problem.

It should actually serve FBGs better when they see a thread with numerous people complaining about the same thing as opposed to just one PM expressing a problem.

If more people are chiming in about the same complaints, you'd think more attention would be brought to fixing the problem.

Compared to last year, the site has been more timely and has made more information and opinion available this year.

I'm just sayin.
I would have to disagree with this statement completly. I found that there was less updates, and the information that came was slower than in previous years. I agree with the original post. While still great, not quite upto the high standards set the last few years.

Isnt that why we use multiple sites, as well as the Shark Pool...someone always will be first to releasing info...I find FBG timely in getting the info out there.KFFL is pretty quick as well...
KFFL is almost always later than FBG with their e-mails (probably takes longer to format all the ads) but they somehow backdate the emails so once I get them, they show up "earlier" on my inbox list than the fbg ones. I just thought that was a nice little trick they've got going there.I have to say, the last few weeks almost all the "breaking" news updates I've gotten have been from KFFL. I generally don't check the nightly updates unless I'm already following certain players. When FBG notices are flying, I am usually first to know about breaking news like this, but I was not aware of the Morency thing until he was long gone in post-waiver wire Free Agency this week. With all the guys sitting this week, he would definitely have been in my starting lineup.

Three years prior to footballguys.com...one 6th place finish, two 10th place finishes. Thanks to ffmastemind.com.Two years since...TWO STRAIGHT TITLES. Lost a step? Not with me. Thanks Joe!!!My only complaint...raise the price and lower the number of subscribers...I'm worried someone else in my league might find this site!!!

Is this the service that you really want from FBG? You need instant emails fired off whenever any running back goes down?
Yes.I love FBG and they are the best service on the web. But I can't be checking the blogger every hour. When the email updates came out, I could pounce as FBG seemed to always get the info out first.

Unfortunately 2 of my leagues go until week 17. I pay for all 17 weeks, so I expect it for 17 weeks.

Sincerely,

Happy FBG subscriber

I have to agree with Shark, and complained about this yesterday in the Wells/Morency thread.Though I will say that as of 7 pm EST Friday, I had not gotten a breaking news email from either FBG or KFFL regarding Davis being IR'd or Wells being IR'd, so FBG's is not alone.And, of course, I knew this information from the forums, which thankfully I can still get through our firewall at work (KFFL is out since two years ago). Emails I get. And, of course, there are only two teams to battle over these dregs anyway, and my opponent magically has no starters on playoff-bound teams (except those fighting for seeding). Unfortunately, dregs like Wells are starter quality this week, as the cheatsheet confirms. This is probably the biggest news of the week, believe it or not. I really believe, given the quality of the resources here, and that many of us seem to be consolidating our business at FBG given the quality, that FBG's needs to raise the fee by $10 or 15 bucks and get some more manpower.Regarding first come, first serve being bush league, I have voted several times against changing this to some kind of socialistic "worst team gets first bid," or some kind of sclerotic "dibs change by some mechanism every week." We have an auction and whoever wants a player most pays for it, and builds the pot. I think any other system is bush league and un-American.

I can't believe there are so many whiney tools on this site.

:banned:
What do you expect when the site is run by "whiny tools" to begin with.
Please reference where David or Joe have been "whiny".TIA.
1. If I had a way of showing you a few old PMs I received from Dodd's, I would.2. Dodd's has whined about working 16 hour days before as his reason for updates not being timely. Does anyne really care how many hour days eachother works?

3. I wasn't referring to just Dodds or Bryant. I was referring to everyone that represents the site as "staff" or "a "mod" in some manner.

4. No, I don't include all the members of the staff as being whiney.

1. If I had a way of showing you a few old PMs I received from Dodd's, I would.2. Dodd's has whined about working 16 hour days before as his reason for updates not being timely. Does anyne really care how many hour days eachother works?

3. I wasn't referring to just Dodds or Bryant. I was referring to everyone that represents the site as "staff" or "a "mod" in some manner.

1. The old "unprovable". Fine. He whined to you over PM. I'm sure David had the time/energy to do that.2. That wasn't whining. He was merely pointing out that he was doing everything he could (16 hour days=8 hours for sleeping and eating...so basically, working around the clock) to get the updates out. He was saying "even when working around the clock", he couldn't get ALL of them out. He apologized in that post, if I recall, as well.

3. Dodds and Bryant "run" this site.

4. I don't care. Members of the staff don't run this site.

1. The old "unprovable". Fine. He whined to you over PM. I'm sure David had the time/energy to do that.2. That wasn't whining. He was merely pointing out that he was doing everything he could (16 hour days=8 hours for sleeping and eating...so basically, working around the clock) to get the updates out. He was saying "even when working around the clock", he couldn't get ALL of them out. He apologized in that post, if I recall, as well.

3. Dodds and Bryant "run" this site.

4. I don't care. Members of the staff don't run this site.
Why should a paying customer care in the slightest if the owner of the company providing the service gets 10 hours of sleep a night or 2?As for the unprovable comment, I don't really care, I was simply answering your question. Dodd's got a complaint, disregarded it as "nonsense" and said he'd return me my money before realizing I don't pay for the information I can get for free in other places.

I was surprised myself to see he wasted 15 minutes going back and forth with me in PM's. I was more surprised by his less than "excellent" approach in dealing with the manner when he resorted to diminishing everything he didn't like hearing.

"Staff" and "Mods" are representives of the business Dodds and Bryant run. You may not care, but the way the staff comes across definetly has an effect on what people think of the place.

Why should a paying customer care in the slightest if the owner of the company providing the service gets 10 hours of sleep a night or 2?
Read what I said again.He wasn't complaining, bragging, or anything like that.

He was simply telling people that they were working as hard as humanly possible, then he apologized for coming up short. The 16 hour day was to illustrate that point.

I'm quite new to this site, but the initial post struck me as having a little sarcasm in it, so I felt the critical replies were a bit overboard. I certainly didn't here him trashing the site.I'm not a paying customer here, but at the sites where I do pay (and a couple of others where I don't), such updates are pretty common. Good luck, guys!

Why should a paying customer care in the slightest if the owner of the company providing the service gets 10 hours of sleep a night or 2?

He was simply telling people that they were working as hard as humanly possible, then he apologized for coming up short. The 16 hour day was to illustrate that point.
I only got 8 hours sleep: :cry: "waaah"I work 16 hour days: :cry: "waaaah"

The paying customers just don't appreciate how much I do around here: :cry: "waaah" :cry: :cry: "waaaaaah"

Sounds like whining to me.

The paying customers just don't appreciate how much I do around here: :cry: "waaah" :cry: :cry: "waaaaaah"

Okay, you're not even trying to have a discussion.Goodbye, tool.

Edit: And the fact that you're promoting another site in your sig while bashing FBG makes me question your motives, and your character as well.

Edit: And the fact that you're promoting another site in your sig while bashing FBG makes me question your motives, and your character as well.
:goodposting:

uh oh, I believe "tool" gets you a one week suspension.Happy new year pal. :suds:

uh oh, I believe "tool" gets you a one week suspension.Happy new year pal. :suds:
Not in this situation.... :lmao:

Try putting things into realistic perspective.Subscribers pay approximately $2.00 per month for access to premium information on this site. Do you really expect this site to provide you with every single trivial piece of NFL news?

Not sure what's more nauseating: the clowns being overly critical of the best FF site on the net, or the tools licking Joe and Dave's nads in defense of a couple of legitimate criticisms.Happy New Years Fellas, I'm a DRUNK TATUM BELL OWNER! :banned:

That site only opened a few weeks ago, I've been posting (in the same fashion) here for longer than that. Also, I was told by staff that there is nothing wrong with the link in my sig.What you consider bashing and what I consider bashing must be two different things. I never once critisized the information available on this site. I have critisized the staff for the way they go about dealing with complaints, customers and potential customers.

If I found this site to be useless, I wouldn't bother coming here. I value the information that many posters provide on these message boards. As for the staff, I think there is alot they could learn as far as presenting themselves and their product in a better fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread