What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

For anyone suffering from terrible buffer speeds on Youtube. (1 Viewer)

Run It Up

Footballguy
Frustrated last week, I was assigned a paper over a 1 hour lecture that was hosted on youtube, to my surprise I was suddenly unable to buffer video from youtube but my speed elsewhere was up approximately 150% of normal. I investigated further, my mobile network seemed unaffected and I could watch videos just fine. I accessed youtube through a proxy from my local network and I was able to buffer video just fine. Other streaming sites were unaffected it was only youtube traffic.

I then noticed my ISP (mediacom) began using AT&T and Comcast backbones, both of which do shape traffic.

All of the above combined led me to believe that my ISP was shaping my traffic to youtube and as such their service as a whole was performing better everywhere else, none of this helped me write my paper.

So I lodged a complaint and over the course of a week the problem was resolved more or less, a mediacom representative believe it or not forwarded me a reddit link, the provided solution actually worked.

Turns out google has been rolling out a new buffering system to alleviate some of their bandwidth woes, supposedly using analytics they determined that a large portion of buffered video on youtube went unwatched, whether it be someone opened a video and close before watching it all or buffered a video in another tab and never watched it, and either way was costing google money. This new system was supposed to provide their buffering system with pseudo logic that would allocate an allowance of sort of buffered video and after watching a certain percentage of the buffered video would then buffer some more, the problem is that it doesn't work as planned so until they remove it or fix it a lot of people are unable to watch video.

The solution provided here: Reddit Solution, requires you to deny requests from whatever service is hosted at a specific address, which then causes youtube to default back to their primary service, which is amazing and allows for seemingly uncapped buffering.

Everyone that isn't suffering from this, congratulations, for everyone that is here is a solution. Good luck.

wow, huge difference! thx! :thumbup: Faster speed and no more limited buffer. I just blocked 206.111.0.0/16 and that was it.

Will click on the link when I can, but has anyone else experienced this issue?When I watch Youtube videos on full screen, after about 10 seconds, the video disappears and goes to black. The audio still works, and if I minimize the video, I can watch it again, but this is a new problem.Will check out the Reddit solution on my home laptop tonight, thanks.

wow, huge difference! thx! :thumbup: Faster speed and no more limited buffer. I just blocked 206.111.0.0/16 and that was it.
Can you explain how to do this for those people who are clueless? Not me of course, but the other people.
I didn't really follow the first reddit post but one after it said to just block 206.111.0.0/16 and it worked great for me. Not sure if it's the answer for everyone.I use Internet Explorer. Tools -> Internet Options->Security->Internet Sites->Click "Sites" and in the box under "add this website to the zone" put 206.111.0.0/16 Click Add.

Can you explain how to do this for those people who are clueless? Not me of course, but the other people.
I didn't really follow the first reddit post but one after it said to just block 206.111.0.0/16 and it worked great for me. Not sure if it's the answer for everyone.I use Internet Explorer. Tools -> Internet Options->Security->Internet Sites->Click "Sites" and in the box under "add this website to the zone" put 206.111.0.0/16 Click Add.
So its a browser thing and not a router deal?

I don't know. The whole router thing confused me so I tried what sounded easier and it seems to work. I could barely watch youtube with my crappy internet and now it never even buffers, just keeps playing. And when I pause it, the buffer doesn't stop like it just started doing recently.

I don't know. The whole router thing confused me so I tried what sounded easier and it seems to work. I could barely watch youtube with my crappy internet and now it never even buffers, just keeps playing. And when I pause it, the buffer doesn't stop like it just started doing recently.
We dont seem to have an issue on our work pc's but I know at home I have this issue. So if anyone knows if its a browser thing or a router thing I would appreciate it. Reddit not available at work.

you can do it either on the computer or at the router (if you have multiple computers using the router).

so if I do this on my home laptop, will my iphone (which uses the home wifi) stream/buffer faster? Because it's been brutal lately.

so if I do this on my home laptop, will my iphone (which uses the home wifi) stream/buffer faster? Because it's been brutal lately.
no, you would either have to do it on each device or at the router. and being able to do it at the router depends on if the router is capable of blocking ip ranges.

I knew I noticed youtube issues of late. This solution is confusing though. Any word on whether Google will get rid of this crap? Makes me avoid youtube right now.

no, you would either have to do it on each device or at the router. and being able to do it at the router depends on if the router is capable of blocking ip ranges.
So how do you do this on the iPhone? Can someone please walk me thru the process?

For those asking, its a youtube issue and to do anything about it on your end you must directly block youtube from being able to connect to your network from whatever subnetwork of youtube that they use to host their buffering service.

In the reddit solution the first post was a summary of the guys investigation, the second post was a solution found.

To block the youtube service that isn't working, go to this link: How to block addresses

Step 11 of the above tutorial is when you add the address: 206.111.0.0/16

This will only block that specific service and once blocked it will default to the default behavior, which appears to be uncapped buffering.

This is all assuming you are using a windows operating system.

Last edited by a moderator:
So how do you do this on the iPhone? Can someone please walk me thru the process?
After a brief look around, I was unable to find any way to deny IP addresses from an iphone or ipad. Sorry mobile users.

Nice. Will try this at home where Youtube videos have been painfully slow lately.

I have experienced the same slow buffering.It's not too bad but I have my playback settings set to play in HD whenever possible. Lately, the buffering issues kept videos from auto-switching to HD quality like they used to. I'll try the fix when I get home. :thumbup:

Great info thanks!I am trying to do this in my netgear router but am confused a bit. I see a section where I can filter content. I can filter either Block Sites or Block Services.I think this would fall under Block Services but I am not really sure.Has anyone done this in their router yet?

Wow, thanks. I thought it was just my machine. I downloaded/updated my flash player about 6 times last week thinking the last update screwed something up.

I have a WNDR3700 Rangemax by Netgear as my router. Any way I can block this thing through the router rather than at the computer level?

'Run It Up said:
For those asking, its a youtube issue and to do anything about it on your end you must directly block youtube from being able to connect to your network from whatever subnetwork of youtube that they use to host their buffering service.In the reddit solution the first post was a summary of the guys investigation, the second post was a solution found.To block the youtube service that isn't working, go to this link: How to block addressesStep 11 of the above tutorial is when you add the address: 206.111.0.0/16This will only block that specific service and once blocked it will default to the default behavior, which appears to be uncapped buffering.This is all assuming you are using a windows operating system.
:blackdot:

'Run It Up said:
For those asking, its a youtube issue and to do anything about it on your end you must directly block youtube from being able to connect to your network from whatever subnetwork of youtube that they use to host their buffering service.In the reddit solution the first post was a summary of the guys investigation, the second post was a solution found.To block the youtube service that isn't working, go to this link: How to block addressesStep 11 of the above tutorial is when you add the address: 206.111.0.0/16This will only block that specific service and once blocked it will default to the default behavior, which appears to be uncapped buffering.This is all assuming you are using a windows operating system.
how can you do this using a mac?

Users who are viewing this thread