What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Frank Robinson (1935-2019) (1 Viewer)

As a long time Cincinnati Reds fan, I am a big Frank Robinson fan.  Idiot front office traded him away to the Orioles because they thought he was too old at 30.  Won a triple-crown after that.  
And as a long time Orioles fan - thanks to Cincy's FO for trading the old man to Baltimore. Robby legitimized the Orioles and was the greatest team leader in Os history.

In old Memorial Stadium on 33rd Street in Baltimore, hon, there was a flag that said simply "here". That was where Frank hit a ball (off of Luis Tiant) that cleared the outfield stands and went out into Pig Town somewhere.

My deity as a boy was Willie Mays but, of the 1st gen of black baseball players, Robby was the one i would put with Bill Russell, Jim Brown & Ali among those who could & would say "wtf are you?!?!" to anybody and were, therefore, the greatest human beings i knew. RIP -

And as a long time Orioles fan - thanks to Cincy's FO for trading the old man to Baltimore. Robby legitimized the Orioles and was the greatest team leader in Os history.

In old Memorial Stadium on 33rd Street in Baltimore, hon, there was a flag that said simply "here". That was where Frank hit a ball (off of Luis Tiant) that cleared the outfield stands and went out into Pig Town somewhere.
Waverly, probably. Though Pig Town sounds better.

6 years in Baltimore - 4 pennants and 2 World Series titles. They better wear a 20 patch on their uniforms this year.

Rookie of the Year
NL MVP
AL MVP
World Series MVP
All-Star Game MVP
Manager of the Year

I lived in MD for 5-6 years and went to many games at the old stadium. I was unaware of the significance of the HERE flag. Now I know.

Memorial Stadium didn't have an upper deck in the outfield, just lower bowl bleachers. The pole for the "Here" flag rose from the back of the bleachers to mark the spot where the ball left the stadium.

Thinking back it just seems impossible that when he was in Cincy, even with the MVP, he was just one of a bunch of guys when it came to "who's the best in the league?" arguments.Had to compete with Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Billy Williams, Lou Brock.  "Second tier" guys like Bobby Bonds and Johnny Callison would have been huge stars in another era.

Thinking back it just seems impossible that when he was in Cincy, even with the MVP, he was just one of a bunch of guys when it came to "who's the best in the league?" arguments.Had to compete with Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Billy Williams, Lou Brock.  "Second tier" guys like Bobby Bonds and Johnny Callison would have been huge stars in another era.
Players like Robinson, Aaron must have cringed at todays salaries.   In Robby`s prime seasons he was making 100-120K a year. Topped out at 160K. Today he would be a 25 million a year guy. Now journeyman like Jed Lowrie makes 12 million a year or about 10 times more in one season than Robby made in 20.

My father was a horrible racist when he was young. I can remember to this day how often he called Frank a lazy n***** back in the '60s/70s.

Flash-forward 20 years, and I'm having a beer with my dad in a bar and he gets to talking about the Orioles' glory days. 

Dad: "They wouldn't have won #### without Frank Robinson. He was the toughest player I ever saw".

Me: "Dad, you thought he was lazy. I remember you saying that"

Dad: "What the hell is wrong with you? Frank Robinson was a great ballplayer, He was hard-nosed and would wreck a fielder if he had a chance".

Me:  :unsure:

Dad: "Billy, you need to keep an open mind".

Players like Robinson, Aaron must have cringed at todays salaries.   In Robby`s prime seasons he was making 100-120K a year. Topped out at 160K. Today he would be a 25 million a year guy. Now journeyman like Jed Lowrie makes 12 million a year or about 10 times more in one season than Robby made in 20.
After Ricky Henderson signed a 4 yr $12mil contract, I (who still remembered the cover of SI's 1968 baseball season preview issue - a team picture of the Cardinals with the caption "Million Dollar TEAM") made serious attempts, calling in repeatedly to then-new national sportstalk radio shows, to rally interest in a Fan's Union to put a stop to this madness. Deaf ears. Now a regular guy can afford to take the fam to maybe one or two games a year and players getting $6fig+ per GAME feel no particular need to play if they aint phyllin it (in fact, b-ball stars are beginning to measure their value by the # of games they can sit out w no one squawking).

My deity as a boy was Willie Mays but, of the 1st gen of black baseball players, Robby was the one i would put with Bill Russell, Jim Brown & Ali among those who could & would say "wtf are you?!?!" to anybody and were, therefore, the greatest human beings i knew. RIP -
Oddly enough, he went to high school with Bill Russell

One of my four favorite baseball players.  Richie Allen, Jim Rice, and Willie McCovey round out the list.

ETA: Make it five - Willie Stargell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread