What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Freedom Of The Press Thread (1 Viewer)

I think this was an interesting article from AP on the blurring of opinion and news which is creating confusion.  Personally I wish the likes of Hannity and Maddow didn't have such prominence and the division of opinion and news had not become so blurred.  I wish we could have some notice that both those shows (and others like them) are opinion shows.  Yes, while they make break some news they are not in the business of reporting events.  I know it is a slippery slope but think it would do everyone some good.    

https://apnews.com/127fe8b09ae74a57826ab5953922e711

I really hate that Maddow is constantly equated with Hannity.
It is an opinion show.  Glad you agree with all her opinions but it is still an opinion show passed off as a news show.  Hannity is worse but don't give her a pass because you like her programming. It is all part of the same problem.  

It is an opinion show.  Glad you agree with all her opinions but it is still an opinion show passed off as a news show.  Hannity is worse but don't give her a pass because you like her programming. It is all part of the same problem.  
I don't think it has ever been passed off as a news show. In fact all the MSNBC shows from Chris Matthew on, Chris Hayes, Rachel and Laurence O'Donnell have never represented themselves or have been promoted by the network as anything other than opinion shows that contain some news. Brian Williams at 11:00PM EST qualifies as a new program but that is the exception to the MSNBC evening lineup.

I don't think it has ever been passed off as a news show. In fact all the MSNBC shows from Chris Matthew on, Chris Hayes, Rachel and Laurence O'Donnell have never represented themselves or have been promoted by the network as anything other than opinion shows that contain some news. Brian Williams at 11:00PM EST qualifies as a new program but that is the exception to the MSNBC evening lineup.
Not sure where they are going out and saying it is an opinion show.  They could at least call it a news and opinion show.  I could be wrong but here are links to the shows own website and I don't see anything about it being anything other than a news show.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/about

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show

http://www.msnbc.com/the-rachel-maddow-show/rachel-maddow-biography

Last edited by a moderator:
Akili Smith and Brett Favre were both NFL quarterbacks, it doesn't mean they are equals.

Maddow is very liberal, but backs up her opinions with facts and valid information, especially when she's tearing apart the Republican talking point of the day.  Slanted for sure, but honest and consistent.  Hannity is an opportunistic propagandist whose views change with the weather. As long as his guy wins the day and the Democrats lose, that's all that matters. Truth isn't just an afterthought, it's the enemy.

If you want to truly destroy the constitutional maxims that the founders used to form this nation there is no better target to achieve that goal then to attack a free and open press.

Once we punish opposition because of information and hide information because of opposition we've come full circle back to 1756. Only with better plumbing.

And speaking of accuracy in reporting, if you watched Fox News yesterday you learned that the United States defeated Communist Japan and Aretha Franklin is Patti LaBelle.

3 out of 4 weren't fake news and the other was an opinion piece not a news article. Opinion writers speak for themselves not for the publication and publishing an opinion piece doesn't mean the publication is endorsing any facts stated by the opinion writer as verified facts. 
They were all examples of fake news.  No one has proven otherwise.

For the opinion piece, what you wrote doesn't matter.  The publication decided to put that piece on their website under their name.  Just because it is opinion, does not mean that if the author states something as a fact in his opinion piece, that it should not be called out if it is blatantly wrong.  

I was at KFC last night and on the TV there they had CNN on.  At the bottom of the screen was "Trump has a history of disparaging Blacks".  They kept this at the bottom of the screen even after cutting to completely different stories.  It was on millions of TVs sitting there stated as a fact.  Integrity in journalism does not exist anymore.

Man, I hope this Nationalist Populist movement crashes and burns soon. It’ll be a great day when Rs like Yankee23fan wrest back control of their party. 

For the opinion piece, what you wrote doesn't matter.  The publication decided to put that piece on their website under their name.  Just because it is opinion, does not mean that if the author states something as a fact in his opinion piece, that it should not be called out if it is blatantly wrong.  
Sorry, all your examples of so called fake news were disproven. And if feeding koi and handshakes are the best you can come up with, you really are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Opinion pieces from the right and left state facts wrong in major publications every day. Yes, they should be called out. No, the fact that any publication prints is not an endorsement of any erroneous facts stated in the opinion piece and does not make it fake news for the publication (only for the opinion writer).

I was at KFC last night and on the TV there they had CNN on.  At the bottom of the screen was "Trump has a history of disparaging Blacks".  They kept this at the bottom of the screen even after cutting to completely different stories.  It was on millions of TVs sitting there stated as a fact.  Integrity in journalism does not exist anymore.
Well, he does

Sorry, all your examples of so called fake news were disproven. And if feeding koi and handshakes are the best you can come up with, you really are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Opinion pieces from the right and left state facts wrong in major publications every day. Yes, they should be called out. No, the fact that any publication prints is not an endorsement of any erroneous facts stated in the opinion piece and does not make it fake news for the publication (only for the opinion writer).
No they were not?  Link me to the posts where they were.  I provided 4 examples.  And arguing about the content of the articles misses the point.  Once it's been established that a news source is faking news and headlines, it throws all of their articles into question.  

You argued the koi pond one but even admitted that it was ambiguous.  Subtle ambiguity and misdirection like that counts as fake news.  CNN and their ilk can spin any story to be anti-Trump, and that's generally what they do.  

Trump's history of disparaging blacks is well documented, see Omarosa, LeBron James, Don Lemon, Maxine Waters,  Frederica Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, among others.

As noted in a Vox article:

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/14/17690218/sarah-sanders-trump-insults-omarosa-black-people-twitter

[...]

But Trump has a history of inflammatory statements that utilize racist stereotypes and tropes specifically about black people. According to Eileen Sullivan and Michael D. Shear from the New York Times and David Smith from the Guardian, there’s a key difference between how Trump treats (and tweets about) white and black opponents: Trump belittles his black political opponents with ad hominem attacks. Trump certainly insults everyone — but his jabs at black people are much more dehumanizing, and frequently implies or says that they’re stupid.

While he has certainly bombarded black (and female) public figures with insults on their appearances, Trump most often utilizes the stereotype that black people are stupid in his attacks against his opponents. In June 2016, for example, he said “nobody can be so stupid” as former President Barack Obama.

[...]

@walterkirn

Let’s get real. The mainstream corporate press has never been freer. It floridly excoriates the president every day, w/unprecedented vehemence & unity. Meanwhile that same multibillion $ press crusades against fringe media & pushes for it to be silenced

I'd this is a typical segment / interview on Maddow.  I'd be curious to get your thoughts on how this is presented.  Seems to me it's mostly fact based and trying to find answers from an expert guest.   

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/manafort-jury-s-questions-set-court-watchers-guessing-1300806211810?v=railb
I don't watch her show or clips since she openly wept on TV the night her girl lost.

Wait that's not true. Someone posted here the time that she tweeted "ZOMG I HAVE TRUMPS TAX RETURNS!!!!". I watched that night too for a few minutes until I realized that was also a farce

The first two had videos showing what happened

IvanKaramazov said:
Nobody thinks that you can legally shut down the National Enquirer or Weekly World News.  Even if you don't think they qualify as "the press," they has still have free speech rights.  Thanks in part to Citizens United, of course.
The National Enquirer has been around since 1926. Haven't their free speech rights been upheld long before Citizens United?

Has any prognostication from the movie Network not come true?  We have been heading headlong and inexorably to this state for more than 40 years.

Point to an article or blog or whatever where they posted something that was factually incorrect.  Let me know if you don't understand what this means.
You act like this would be difficult to provide.  :lmao:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/5/17/17364562/trump-dog-omarosa-dehumanization-psychology

This was from when Trump rightly called MS-13 members violent animals.  The article took this a dozen steps further and incorrectly implied that Trump is an anti-immigrant extremist.  

I'll give you a second example since I'm in a good mood.

https://crimeresearch.org/2018/05/responding-voxs-popular-americas-unique-gun-violence-problem-explained-17-maps-charts/

Long read, but very indicative of Vox's masquerade as a legitimate news source.

They weren’t and you didn’t show they were fake news.

And opinion piece by definition isn’t news...hence, it cannot be defined as fake news.

Wait that's not true. Someone posted here the time that she tweeted "ZOMG I HAVE TRUMPS TAX RETURNS!!!!". I watched that night too for a few minutes until I realized that was also a farce
It's not as if I'm a regular Maddow viewer, but yeah that was the last time I tuned in.  Hucksterism.

We are to the point in this country where stories about Koi Ponds and Federal Investigations are equal? What the hell?

And, if one story about a Koi Pond is not 100% fact based on the interpretation of what a word means... what about all the stories presented by FOX news about a lot of thing? Holy crap is this way of thinking illogical, and downright embarrassing. Wake the #### up. 

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/5/17/17364562/trump-dog-omarosa-dehumanization-psychology

This was from when Trump rightly called MS-13 members violent animals.  The article took this a dozen steps further and incorrectly implied that Trump is an anti-immigrant extremist.  
No, this article is dated 8-14-18, three days ago, so it wasn't from when Trump called MS-13 members animals. It is a lengthy article, but I don't see where the Vox writer implied that Trump is an anti-immigrant extremist, although with the Muslim Ban, referring to Mexicans immigrants as rapists, one can make a very persuasive argument that he is.

WTFGOP? #basta‏ @DogginTrump Aug 16

More

Only ####### Fox News would use a picture of Patti Labelle as Aretha Franklin on the day she dies Un####ingbelievable!

Users who are viewing this thread