What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Freedom you don't have in the USA (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
Since this is a "gamblin" site.

I hate when people say I this is a free country when I can't.........

Play Internet Poker legally.  

What simple, non sexual stuff can you not do in the USA where you live that baffles you?

Can't put on a free concert on the water.    We used to have a great one, but it got regulated out of existence.

Angry that the replacement are those horrible paper straws that fall apart into your drink before you can finish it?  I'm with you, brother!
Angry that plastic straws are virtually insignificant in the grand scheme of things and that the disabled really need those straws and they're being taken away.

Imagine if your only real autonomy was the ability to drink liquids without help because there's a plastic straw that makes that possible. 

Here's one very specific to my wife's business:  As a personal chef, my wife cannot cook food in our home to deliver it to her customers. State Law in Georgia requires her to cook in the customer's home instead unless she uses a commercial kitchen (which is wildly cost prohibitive for her price point).

Makes absolutely zero sense to me.

What kind of rake does the government take on that?
Not sure- I used to bartend in east Lansing and one Sunday these guys were in at open (11) and were 3/3 beers and shots deep by 12:30 and one guy wanted to know where the closest lotto was so he could play his parlays. I was like “whaaaaat? We don’t have that!” And he was baffled that we have football but no lotto parlays. This was maybe 10 years ago so I don’t know if they still do it but why wouldn’t you? Don’t remember the payout, the ticket was like $5 or $10. 

Here's one very specific to my wife's business:  As a personal chef, my wife cannot cook food in our home to deliver it to her customers. State Law in Georgia requires her to cook in the customer's home instead unless she uses a commercial kitchen (which is wildly cost prohibitive for her price point).

It's likely part of a nationwide movement to keep people from feeding the homeless.  I'm not kidding.

It's likely part of a nationwide movement to keep people from feeding the homeless.  I'm not kidding.
Wow....want more info because you seem to not be kidding.  Against better judgment the owner of the golf driving range I do books for decided to have an all out marketing event in December.  It was 32 degrees out.  They hired a food truck with 1k minimum.  All food was donated to a shelter and truck matched what we paid for in free meals.

Wow....want more info because you seem to not be kidding.  Against better judgment the owner of the golf driving range I do books for decided to have an all out marketing event in December.  It was 32 degrees out.  They hired a food truck with 1k minimum.  All food was donated to a shelter and truck matched what we paid for in free meals.
https://www.thecookwarereview.com/news/list-cities-homeless-feeding-bans-restrictions.html

https://www.newsweek.com/illegal-feed-criminalizing-homeless-america-782861

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/sd-me-20180114-story.html

https://www.cnn.com/2014/11/04/justice/florida-feeding-homeless-charges/index.html

https://www.fastcompany.com/3067138/why-are-people-getting-arrested-for-giving-food-to-the-homeless

People don't want the homeless congregating in their precious public spaces, so they create laws ostensibly based in food safety to keep the homeless from being fed around them.

Pretty much the same tactic as the "it's to keep women safe!" anti-choice laws related to abortion.

Not sure- I used to bartend in east Lansing and one Sunday these guys were in at open (11) and were 3/3 beers and shots deep by 12:30 and one guy wanted to know where the closest lotto was so he could play his parlays. I was like “whaaaaat? We don’t have that!” And he was baffled that we have football but no lotto parlays. This was maybe 10 years ago so I don’t know if they still do it but why wouldn’t you? Don’t remember the payout, the ticket was like $5 or $10. 
Here's the link to our games:

http://www.sportselect.wclc.com/Game-Lists.htm

Or perhaps the nationwide movement to keep people from cooking in a potentially gross home kitchen and accidentally poisoning others.

Damn.  So heartless.

How the hell do you charge a 90 year old?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wouldn’t she just have to have the home kitchen inspected every 6 months and have proper certification like “Servsafe” or the Georgia equivilent? You may have to make it a little less “lived in” and do things like store chemicals correctly and maybe have a “work food” fridge and a home fridge.

I don’t know for sure, but it may be doable. The co-mingling of personal/work space may be an issue, but perhaps there’s a workaround. Be creative. 

Interesting. So this is the Canadian Government that runs this? What is the rake?
The games are run by various provincial governments. The odds are not great because of the need to parlay a minimum of 3 games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_Select

Odds

In recent years, Sport Select has come under increasingly heavy criticism from Canadian gamblers due to the poor odds it offers (from the gambler's perspective). A private bookmaker licensed in the United Kingdom or Nevada generally maintains an overround (or "vig") of about 110%, meaning the bookmaker can expect to pay out $100 for every $110 that is wagered. In Canada, however, the overround for an individual match in Sport Select odds often exceeds 130%. To make matters worse for the bettor, the parlay requirement compounds the overround - the actual vigorish is a minimum of 160% but can climb to well over 300% (if six selections are made). In jurisdictions such as the United Kingdom where genuine compeititon is allowed, bookies often pay bonuses for winning parlay bets to help offset the compounded vig. Sport Select does not.

Another controversial frustration for PRO·LINE players in Atlantic Canada is the occurrence of Atlantic Lottery (ALC) 'capping' wagering on combinations and, on rare occasion, individual selections. This occurs when a significant amount of wagering is placed within a short span of time, typically on a specific combination of outcomes. The reasoning behind having such caps is to dissuade professional, or 'block', bettors from attempting to take advantage of potential flaws in the posted odds, and thus limits the liability for the corporation on a given combination of outcomes. Typical block betting behaviour involves placing large sums (often thousands of $) on a very small amount of combinations, trying to focus on perceived flaws as much as possible. Ultimately the PRO·LINE game is meant to be recreational and not for professionals. Unlike online-only betting operations where all transactions must be submitted by identity verified accounts, Atlantic Lottery operates across a network of retailers where wagers are accepted anonymously, thus making it more susceptible to such 'block' bettors. The capping of combinations serves to limit pro-betting while keeping all outcomes open for betting, in any other combination. If a combination of outcomes is capped, any subsequent transaction submitted to the system attempting to wager on this particular combination is rejected. This can be an annoyance to non-professional (casual) bettors legitimately trying to wager on a capped combination, but experienced bettors have come to understand the reasoning and adjust their wagers accordingly.[1]

Though most experts agree that the odds offered on Sport Select are such that even the sharpest punter would have no hope of making a profit in the long term, some have. See, for instance, the 2007 Tax Court of Canada case R. v. Leblanc, in which two brothers netted $5.5 million on $50 million in bets over five years. The Tax Court ruled the profit was not taxable.

I'm not sure why we can't consider "sex things," too. For example, New Zealand has legal prostitution that seems to be working pretty well but something like that would cause half this country's brains to explode.

Wouldn’t she just have to have the home kitchen inspected every 6 months and have proper certification like “Servsafe” or the Georgia equivilent? You may have to make it a little less “lived in” and do things like store chemicals correctly and maybe have a “work food” fridge and a home fridge.

I don’t know for sure, but it may be doable. The co-mingling of personal/work space may be an issue, but perhaps there’s a workaround. Be creative. 
Nope.  The Cottage Food Laws won't allow anyone to sell items out of their home that require refrigeration.

Reusable straws are not prohibited.
There is not one other type type that provides what a disposable plastic straw do to the disabled.  I don’t want to turn this into a big thing, but paper falls apart, metal can be painful and downright dangerous, silicone isn’t positionable in the same way and can also be dangerous and reusable plastic absorbs bacteria. 

Users who are viewing this thread