What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

From Fat to Fit 2024 - New Year New Goals! (1 Viewer)

Any of you guys wanna do the "75 Hard" challenge with me?
I'd love to support you but that is beyond what I'm doing right now. Honestly, the biggest obstacle for me might be the progress picture. We just got back from DisneyWorld, and I was looking at the pictures they take. The first one I said "Wow, that's an awful angle of me". When they all appeared that way I knew it was me. It is pretty demoralizing when we realize that our actual looks don't match the image of ourselves we have in our heads. I'd also struggle with the exercise. I'm ramping that up, but at a calorie deficient diet it's hard for me to have the energy. I struggled yesterday but did the 45 minute group fitness class last night.

Best of luck to you on your journey!

Day 4 down, I felt the energy drain but it leveled off in the afternoon. Made it to my exercise class.

DateWeightChg From StartWeekly LossCalories
May 15219.4--1400
May 16217.12.31440
May 17216.03.41400
May 18215.14.31400
May 19214.94.5

Day 4 down, I felt the energy drain but it leveled off in the afternoon. Made it to my exercise class.

May 15219.4--1400
May 16217.12.31440
May 17216.03.41400
May 18215.14.31400
May 19214.94.5

How can you weigh yourself every day and have it be meaningful? Between water weight, and variability in the size/number/frequency of dumps I take in a day, I could gain/lose three pounds from that.

May 15219.4--1400
May 16217.12.31440
May 17216.03.41400
May 18215.14.31400
May 19214.94.5

How can you weigh yourself every day and have it be meaningful? Between water weight, and variability in the size/number/frequency of dumps I take in a day, I could gain/lose three pounds from that.
You can. Those are just data points. Most of this has easily been water weight, but it evens out over time. Once I get a week's worth of data, I consolidate it, then start on the new line. Over the 5 or 6 months in the other thread, I averaged about a 2lb per week drop after the initial dump, and I was able to be down at least a fraction each week.

May 15219.4--1400
May 16217.12.31440
May 17216.03.41400
May 18215.14.31400
May 19214.94.5

You can. Those are just data points. Most of this has easily been water weight, but it evens out over time. Once I get a week's worth of data, I consolidate it, then start on the new line. Over the 5 or 6 months in the other thread, I averaged about a 2lb per week drop after the initial dump, and I was able to be down at least a fraction each week.
Just one guy talking, but you are making things harder on yourself by ignoring vegetables.

May 15219.4--1400
May 16217.12.31440
May 17216.03.41400
May 18215.14.31400
May 19214.94.5

Speaking for myself- I don't any longer, however, when I did it was for accountability. Setting routine and accountability. Watching the overall trend and learning what was involved in some of the daily fluctuation (sleep, macro intake, poo etc...)

I now prefer Monday Friday. Could easily make a case for every Thursday or whatever but I like the immediate accountability of MF
Good luck dude!
Enjoy the grind of the journey and success begets success.

6'2" 201 yesterday. in my 50s currently grinding again. I've done the back and forth swing soo many times getting ready for race season and then post season slacking off ... My old race weight was 185. Have goals of 200 195 190. Ideally 185-190 by July 4.
201 Monday 5/15
200 Friday 5/19 Thanks to 4 OTs and only 4 hours of sleep I'm ok with it. I did have a snacky evening Wednesday, it wasn't horrible but it wasn't on plan :( Personal history tells me sleep is key for my weight loss and hitting HR goals in training. Hopefully tomorrow I won't be a Clydesdale any more.
Much better sleep still not quite enough. Just to humor myself 199.
Happy about that.

I'm down to 217 this morning from about 235 after Christmas. Wife and I eat very well Sunday to Thursday but are too prone to bad days on the weekend with pizza and snacking and beer.

My gym does monthly evolt scan check ins and I've actually gained some muscle so my body fat percentage is down more than the weight indicates and that is mostly what I'm focussing on but the scale gives a good measuring stick in between.

I'm turning 40 in August and we're going to Vegas in October, my goal has been to get into decent hang out at the pool shape by then. I'm also going to Bonnaroo in four weeks, so my intermediate goal is/was to get to a place where I won't die sleeping in a tent for four days. So far, so good. I had some blood work taken last week and my numbers are all in line there, so it seems to be working

I'm down to 217 this morning from about 235 after Christmas. Wife and I eat very well Sunday to Thursday but are too prone to bad days on the weekend with pizza and snacking and beer.

My gym does monthly evolt scan check ins and I've actually gained some muscle so my body fat percentage is down more than the weight indicates and that is mostly what I'm focussing on but the scale gives a good measuring stick in between.

I'm turning 40 in August and we're going to Vegas in October, my goal has been to get into decent hang out at the pool shape by then. I'm also going to Bonnaroo in four weeks, so my intermediate goal is/was to get to a place where I won't die sleeping in a tent for four days. So far, so good. I had some blood work taken last week and my numbers are all in line there, so it seems to be working
Great Work! I doubt the YMCA I go to has an evolt scan check but I may check around. My home scale has a "body fat" percentage that I really hope is wrong, but probably isn't. Keep it up!

May 15219.4--1400
May 16217.12.31440
May 17216.03.41400
May 18215.14.31400
May 19214.94.5

Speaking for myself- I don't any longer, however, when I did it was for accountability. Setting routine and accountability. Watching the overall trend and learning what was involved in some of the daily fluctuation (sleep, macro intake, poo etc...)

I now prefer Monday Friday. Could easily make a case for every Thursday or whatever but I like the immediate accountability of MF
Good luck dude!

6'2" 201 yesterday. in my 50s currently grinding again. I've done the back and forth swing soo many times getting ready for race season and then post season slacking off ... My old race weight was 185. Have goals of 200 195 190. Ideally 185-190 by July 4.
201 Monday 5/15
200 Friday 5/19 Thanks to 4 OTs and only 4 hours of sleep I'm ok with it. I did have a snacky evening Wednesday, it wasn't horrible but it wasn't on plan :( Personal history tells me sleep is key for my weight loss and hitting HR goals in training. Hopefully tomorrow I won't be a Clydesdale any more.
Happy about that.
Congrats! I hope to join you in One-derland in a few months!

May 15219.4--1400
May 16217.12.31440
May 17216.03.41400
May 18215.14.31400
May 19214.94.5

Good luck dude!

201 Monday 5/15
Happy about that.
Congrats! I hope to join you in One-derland in a few months!
Thanks man, keep up your hard work!

Made some improvements a couple years ago, but fell off the wagon and gave back those improvements. Now I'm kinda, sorta, committed to maybe getting fitter this year. Decided to take a snapshot this morning 5/21/2023, no prep or warm up. Measuring 3 things:
  • Weight - 272
  • Blood Glucose - 132
  • Max Push ups - 8
Goals (no exact timeline, but 2023):
  • Weight - <220
  • Blood Glucose - <110
  • Max Push ups - >20
Planning on:
  • 16 hour fast, at least 4 days a week
  • 20-24 hour fast 1 day a week
  • Reduce processed carbs significantly
  • Add exercise / physical activity (TBD, I have some limitations due to injuries & arthritis)
GL to all of you

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in May 2022

Started to eat (somewhat) better but still eat what I like (smaller volume)

Started walking daily. At the beginning 2 miles was a challenge. Now I do between 4-10 miles daily (sometimes I manage to get above 12)

I rarely ever skip. Sometimes miss due to weather issues or travelling

Helps that I'm retired for the time component

Started @ 267 lbs in May 2022, now in May 2023 @ 190ish

Ultimate target is 160ish (I'm 5 ft 7)

Best wishes to everyone...

ETA my A1C level was 12.5 in May 2022

5.7 in March 2023 (with the help of Metformin, some diet adjustments and the walking)

Last edited:
Day 1 was a success, though largely water weight. Down 2.3 pounds. Had 1400 calories and 55 minutes of spin class.

May 15219.4--1400
May 16217.12.3

Nice. Well done!

Past two days for me:
Sunday — 1200 net calories vs goal of 1300
Monday — 1150 net calories Vs goal of 1300

Down 0.6 lbs since Sunday morning weigh in. Probably just random, paired with reduced salt consumption / water retention.

Hope to lose 1.5 lbs per week for the next 4 weeks, then 1 lb per week until target weight.
1200 net calories on Tuesday. Down 0.9 lbs so far. Visiting my parents the next 2 days — really have to stay disciplined while at their house. They have terrible food habits and the visit overall stresses me out.
Finally weighed in after visiting parents. Down 0.5 lbs from starting weight (which means I lost ground while at their house).

Got back to my gameplan yesterday and finished at target calories for the day. Will do the same today — have already put 9.5 miles on my body this morning but need to stay focused on limiting calorie intake.

Looks like this is kind of taking over as the accountability thread, so I'll post here.

Short summary is that after being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in March of 2022, I lost about 40 pounds, took my A1C from 12.5 to 5.8 and went from a 52 inch waist to a 40 inch waist. But in the last year, while I've made a ton of gains in strength and have put on a lot of muscle (seemingly over 25 lbs according to my bodyweight scale and my waist size not really changing), I haven't lost any more weight. In fact, I'm up about 7 lbs and still about 300 lbs.

So while I actually don't hate the way I look compared to the last few years, I could still stand to lose at least 50 lbs. But I don't want to lose mah gains! So while I'm going to get back into tracking my eating and macros, I'm going to try a slightly different approach. First, I'm going to try to make sure I get at least .8 grams of protein for every pound of lean mass. And while I don't know if my scale is correct in telling me that I have 200 lbs of lean mass, I'm going to eat for that total even if its aspirational. So at least 160 g or protein a day. I'll try to get at least 30 g of fiber if I can, and then I'll probably be pretty agnostic between carbs and fat to make up the difference in calories to get me to about 2100 calories, which is a bit less than a sedentary 230 lb man of my height and age burns according to the BMR estimates.

I'll continue doing the "metabolic" strength training five days a week, but I'm going to try to get back into more low impact, low intensity movement through walking and riding a bike. Since moving last summer, I've let this really slip as my neighborhood doesn't really have anyplace I look forward to walk to. But I'll just pop on some music and move around. Maybe try to play some disc golf rounds as I'm literally waiting for a job that was promised to me to actually materialize and I have the leeway to not work immediately.

Made some improvements a couple years ago, but fell off the wagon and gave back those improvements. Now I'm kinda, sorta, committed to maybe getting fitter this year. Decided to take a snapshot this morning 5/21/2023, no prep or warm up. Measuring 3 things:
  • Weight - 272
  • Blood Glucose - 132
  • Max Push ups - 8
  • Weight - <220
  • Blood Glucose - <110
  • Max Push ups - >20
Planning on:
  • Add exercise / physical activity (TBD, I have some limitations due to injuries & arthritis)
GL to all of you
Good luck on your goals! I don't have a lot of experience with fasting, but you may want to check with your doctor about the 24 hour one. 53 pounds is a lot in 7 months but can be done. Don't be discouraged if you don't quite hit the mark. Progress is what we are looking for!

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in May 2022

Started to eat (somewhat) better but still eat what I like (smaller volume)

Started walking daily. At the beginning 2 miles was a challenge. Now I do between 4-10 miles daily (sometimes I manage to get above 12)

I rarely ever skip. Sometimes miss due to weather issues or travelling

Helps that I'm retired for the time component

Started @ 267 lbs in May 2022, now in May 2023 @ 190ish

Ultimate target is 160ish (I'm 5 ft 7)

Best wishes to everyone...

ETA my A1C level was 12.5 in May 2022

5.7 in March 2023 (with the help of Metformin, some diet adjustments and the walking)
That is incredible! If you get to your target, 100 pounds lost is just mind boggling! When we were at Disney we had several days above 10 miles walked but I can't imagine doing it daily. Keep it up!

Day 1 was a success, though largely water weight. Down 2.3 pounds. Had 1400 calories and 55 minutes of spin class.

May 15219.4--1400
May 16217.12.3

Nice. Well done!

Past two days for me:
Sunday — 1200 net calories vs goal of 1300
Monday — 1150 net calories Vs goal of 1300

Down 0.6 lbs since Sunday morning weigh in. Probably just random, paired with reduced salt consumption / water retention.

Hope to lose 1.5 lbs per week for the next 4 weeks, then 1 lb per week until target weight.
1200 net calories on Tuesday. Down 0.9 lbs so far. Visiting my parents the next 2 days — really have to stay disciplined while at their house. They have terrible food habits and the visit overall stresses me out.
Finally weighed in after visiting parents. Down 0.5 lbs from starting weight (which means I lost ground while at their house).

Got back to my gameplan yesterday and finished at target calories for the day. Will do the same today — have already put 9.5 miles on my body this morning but need to stay focused on limiting calorie intake.
I never sweat the special occasions (like going to parents or on vacay). As you know we are doing this for the long haul, so a minor blip is not a big deal as long as it doesn't become the habit. I had a cheat day today myself to celebrate my nephew's graduation, but I think I kept it somewhat under control (skipped cake and ice cream and chips). Keep it up!

Looks like this is kind of taking over as the accountability thread, so I'll post here.

Short summary is that after being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in March of 2022, I lost about 40 pounds, took my A1C from 12.5 to 5.8 and went from a 52 inch waist to a 40 inch waist. But in the last year, while I've made a ton of gains in strength and have put on a lot of muscle (seemingly over 25 lbs according to my bodyweight scale and my waist size not really changing), I haven't lost any more weight. In fact, I'm up about 7 lbs and still about 300 lbs.

So while I actually don't hate the way I look compared to the last few years, I could still stand to lose at least 50 lbs. But I don't want to lose mah gains! So while I'm going to get back into tracking my eating and macros, I'm going to try a slightly different approach. First, I'm going to try to make sure I get at least .8 grams of protein for every pound of lean mass. And while I don't know if my scale is correct in telling me that I have 200 lbs of lean mass, I'm going to eat for that total even if its aspirational. So at least 160 g or protein a day. I'll try to get at least 30 g of fiber if I can, and then I'll probably be pretty agnostic between carbs and fat to make up the difference in calories to get me to about 2100 calories, which is a bit less than a sedentary 230 lb man of my height and age burns according to the BMR estimates.

I'll continue doing the "metabolic" strength training five days a week, but I'm going to try to get back into more low impact, low intensity movement through walking and riding a bike. Since moving last summer, I've let this really slip as my neighborhood doesn't really have anyplace I look forward to walk to. But I'll just pop on some music and move around. Maybe try to play some disc golf rounds as I'm literally waiting for a job that was promised to me to actually materialize and I have the leeway to not work immediately.
Welcome aboard! Dropping 12 inches in waist size is an incredible accomplishment. Do you have a target weight? It looks like you already know a lot about what you need to do to get there. I have no idea what my muscle mass is, I just know I need to increase it. I care almost all my weight in my belly (and from the pictures I saw, apparently under my chin). My arms are small but my legs have great definition. I'm working with a balky back, so my 2x weekly weight training has been pretty light so far.

I'm sure there are others in this thread who are really familiar with what you are doing and would be glad to help. I'm just here to root you on (and get rooted on by others)!

Heading to London in 6 weeks, starting my lose weight boot camp now. At 250, hoping to be 235 for the trip.
Certainly doable, although a little more than the recommended 2lbs per week by some health officials. If you drop a lot of water weight quickly, I'm sure you'll make it. Probably can't have too many slip ups in this time though. Good luck and keep us posted!

OK I'm through with my hippling of the thread :) Day 6 felt pretty good. Went to my nephew's graduation party and there was a lot of good food to eat. I ended up eating the pulled pork (but no bread for sandwiches), potato salad, and cole slaw. I had about 5 chips with salsa on it, and 3 sour gummies :). I'm terrible at judging portion sizes which is why I so frequently stay with portions prepared by others, but sometimes I will add to my Chipotle bowl if it feels a little or heavy or really heavy. The chicken breast is pretty constant. Looks like a cup of pulled pork is 417 calories, about the same for potato salad, and 300 for cole slaw. Total guess on that.

May 15219.4--1400
May 16217.12.31440
May 17216.03.41400
May 18215.14.31400
May 19214.94.51740
May 20214.15.31440
May 21213.55.91790

Welcome aboard! Dropping 12 inches in waist size is an incredible accomplishment. Do you have a target weight? It looks like you already know a lot about what you need to do to get there. I have no idea what my muscle mass is, I just know I need to increase it. I care almost all my weight in my belly (and from the pictures I saw, apparently under my chin). My arms are small but my legs have great definition. I'm working with a balky back, so my 2x weekly weight training has been pretty light so far.

I'm sure there are others in this thread who are really familiar with what you are doing and would be glad to help. I'm just here to root you on (and get rooted on by others)!
I have an idea of a target weight, but it's something I'm going to need to reassess after 40 lbs or so. There was a time in college when being "in shape" meant being about where the BMI tables say a 5'10" male should be. By the time I was 40, even when I was running like 50 miles a week and had a 31" waistline, my weight was around 215 to 220. And that was without building much muscle. So if my scale is correct now, 15% bodyfat would be about 235. Which is obviously way, way off from the BMI tables. Like 70 lbs. But I've never done a DexaScan or any real accurate body fat measurement, so my plan for now is to try to get to 260 or 250 or so and then find a place to give me an accurate body composition report. And I'll figure out where to go from there.

This is how crazy my weight is:

9May: 169.0
16May: 175.6
23May: 165.6

Yes I ate like crap in the first week, and really great in the second, but there's no way it explains those kinds of swings.

I weigh myself at exactly the same time every Tuesday morning, after my morning "download".

:crazy:

We'll see what the RNG gives me next week!

Yeah, I'm back. Not at my highest weight, but still disgusting.

Need to drop ~50. Plan to get there:

20:4 IF weekdays, 16:8 IF weekends
2+ mile walk every morning
50+ pushups daily
Severely reduce carbs ~50 per day max, calorie deficit <2000

Have a couple trips planned for the summer that I'll have to work around, but really want to be at goal by EoY

Busy couple of days with graduations and things. Good first week and it matches what I've done on this plan previously, recognizing that most of it is water weight. I only had 1 lower energy day, and I never felt like I was super hungry. No exercise class tonight.

DateWeightChg From StartWeekly LossAvg Calories/Daily Calories
May 15 Week219.4-7.11516
May 22212.37.11240
May 23211.28.21380

Last edited:
This is how crazy my weight is:

9May: 169.0
16May: 175.6
23May: 165.6

Yes I ate like crap in the first week, and really great in the second, but there's no way it explains those kinds of swings.

I weigh myself at exactly the same time every Tuesday morning, after my morning "download".

:crazy:

We'll see what the RNG gives me next week!
This is why I like to weigh daily, but to each their own. You may have had just a couple of bloated days before the May 16 weigh-in, and daily weighings may have shown it to drop off rather quickly. Either way good job in moving the trend in the right direction!

Busy day but calories around 1200 and 45 minute spin.

You did a 45-minute workout and only consumed 1,200 calories the whole day? On days that I don't run, I target 1,700 calories -- and that feels like starvation.
For whatever reason (probably because I ate like a pig at DisneyWorld the week before), I didn't really go through the hunger pain stage that I usually have to deal with for 2-3 days before my body adjusts. Believe me there were days last month where I ate probably close to 3,000 calories, then felt like I had to eat PopTarts at midnight because I couldn't go to bed hungry.

The spin class wasn't my best effort as I felt pretty wiped. I'm not real good with the "zones" but it said I spent 24 minutes in zone 4 (HR 152-162) and 14 minutes in zone 5 (HR 163+). Went almost 15 miles with an average HR of 155.

I am going to see a cardiologist in June because I don't think my heart rate should be getting that high that fast. I've had a few heart flutters as well but my watch hasn't detected AFib.

50+ pushups daily

Have a couple trips planned for the summer that I'll have to work around, but really want to be at goal by EoY
You can do it GB. Just like me, putting the weight on is in the past so just looking forward to better things. Sounds like you have a good solid plan that has worked for you in the past.

I only have 1 more trip this summer (that I'm aware of), and I'm not going to be strict at all on the diet. In fact I can't be as I'm on a mission trip and won't have say over the food. I'm just going to watch portions and we will be doing a lot of physical labor outside, so it should even out. No reason to let special events like that "ruin" our experience. We have goals and time to get there, so maybe just don't go hog wild while on vacay.

I’ve decided to keep my gross calories capped at 1500-1600 regardless of how much I exercise for the day. That might be a mistake — I play pickup basketball once a week and run 3-4 miles 1-2x per week. But I’ve found through previous trial and error that if I go above that calorie intake, no progress is made regardless of exercise.

To that point I’ve stayed true to that goal the past 3 days. Traveling for work today and tomorrow, which for me is a test. Can I stay true to my commitment while traveling and eating “road food?”

Weigh in this morning has me down 1.5 lbs from starting weight. That’s exactly the pace I want (1.0-1.5 lbs per week) and puts me on track to meet my goal in mid-July, even with a 4th of July weekend splurge/cheat days.

50+ pushups daily

You got this. Stick around this thread. I’ve found accountability helps me stay the course. A bunch of people did some amazing stuff last time!

Busy couple of days with graduations and things. Good first week and it matches what I've done on this plan previously, recognizing that most of it is water weight. I only had 1 lower energy day, and I never felt like I was super hungry. No exercise class tonight.

DateWeightChg From StartWeekly LossAvg Calories/Daily Calories
May 15 Week219.4-7.11516
May 22212.37.11240
May 23211.28.21380
Keep it up. Consistent progress yields results. Slightly worried on your behalf that you are at an unsustainably low caloric intake given weight and activity level, but I’m not a medical doctor.

Unrelated: have always enjoyed your user name. (Mrs APK bought me a t-shirt from The Onion years ago that said “I just love corporations”)

Education yourself on food and to always remember what you eat becomes a part of you.

I started weight training at 19 and still workout at least 5 days a week, and walk everyday. So I have been aware of what I eat. Every meal I get I always think "Is this good for me?" Of course I will eat chesseburgers ice cream and pizza now and then but try to limit those to once every couple weeks. When you do that it tastes so much better too.

My wife and I were out to dinner last week at Leos Coney Island, a Greek diner type of place. They have plenty of healthy options, I always get the grilled chicken kabob with salad. They also have plenty of non healthy options.

As were were sitting there two men maybe 40 years old come in with 4 kids. They looked like twin brothers, Both were about 5-7, and at least 350lbs, maybe more. I thought the chairs were going to break when they sat as their *** hung over both sides.

They were at the table next to us to we could hear them order. The first guy orders, 4 coney dogs, and chili fries covered with cheese with a milkshake. Second guy orders this is no joke. 3 bacon and cheese sandwiches on white bread, Double bacon, double cheese, and a large chili fry with a chocolate milkshake.

I kept thinking these guys have no clue what they are in for later in life.

Good luck dude!

201 Monday 5/15
Happy about that.
6'2" early mid 50s next milestone 195
5/15 201
5/19 200
5/22 200
5/23 199
5/25 197 Getting caught up seeing success daily so I weighed in again. better sleep thankful for no OT and drank 4+L of water and ate a bit more protein.

My Wyze scale finally synced so I'm looking back at some old fluctuations and remembering habits both good and bad.
getting caught up in the success I weighed in again today. Seems like the last 2 winters killed me.

• Weight - 272
  • Blood Glucose - 132
  • Max Push ups - 8
  • Weight - <220
  • Blood Glucose - <110
  • Max Push ups - >20
Planning on:
GL to all of you

50+ pushups daily

You and I seem on the same path GB!

227.2 this morning :x AND AWAY WE GO AGAIN@#$@#$@$

222 :sick: AND SAME HERE. Time for the elliptical. My goal is to somehow lose thirty pounds. I have no plan or even a light at the end of the tunnel, though.

Start simple.

Cut out snacks. Have salads for lunch. I find meal plans like Green Chef (there are tons now) to be great for portion control AND healthy eating habits.

To lose a pound a week you need to be in about a 500 calorie a day deficit.

Users who are viewing this thread