What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

From Fat to Fit 2024 - New Year New Goals! (1 Viewer)

Education yourself on food and to always remember what you eat becomes a part of you.

I started weight training at 19 and still workout at least 5 days a week, and walk everyday. So I have been aware of what I eat. Every meal I get I always think "Is this good for me?" Of course I will eat chesseburgers ice cream and pizza now and then but try to limit those to once every couple weeks. When you do that it tastes so much better too.
meh - i was a workout fiend for many years....... College athlete...... I just got content, lazy and didnt' care about my diet.

I also was not very diet conscience from 18-30 my prime lifting/athletics years

Last edited:
227.2 this morning :x AND AWAY WE GO AGAIN@#$@#$@$

222 :sick: AND SAME HERE. Time for the elliptical. My goal is to somehow lose thirty pounds. I have no plan or even a light at the end of the tunnel, though.

Start simple.

Cut out snacks. Have salads for lunch. I find meal plans like Green Chef (there are tons now) to be great for portion control AND healthy eating habits.

To lose a pound a week you need to be in about a 500 calorie a day deficit.
I know what to do trust me ------ i am just weak will power later in life :P

ETA: oh that wasn't directed at me ---- carry on

222 :sick: AND SAME HERE. Time for the elliptical. My goal is to somehow lose thirty pounds. I have no plan or even a light at the end of the tunnel, though.

Start simple.

Cut out snacks. Have salads for lunch. I find meal plans like Green Chef (there are tons now) to be great for portion control AND healthy eating habits.

I know what to do trust me ------ i am just weak will power later in life :P

ETA: oh that wasn't directed at me ---- carry on
Oh yeah. Totally understand. I was into bodybuilding in my mid-20s. It's so easy to get complacent now though. Kids, work, stress, middle age.

Not everything works for everyone, but in reality, it's a pretty simple concept. The difficult part is the commitment to making the necessary changes and then sticking to them for long periods of time.

Education yourself on food and to always remember what you eat becomes a part of you.

I started weight training at 19 and still workout at least 5 days a week, and walk everyday. So I have been aware of what I eat. Every meal I get I always think "Is this good for me?" Of course I will eat chesseburgers ice cream and pizza now and then but try to limit those to once every couple weeks. When you do that it tastes so much better too.
meh - i was a workout fiend for many years....... College athlete...... I just got content, lazy and didnt' care about my diet.

?? So you are not happy with your diet and body now?

Diet and exercise is just a part of my life and has been forever.

One thing that always helps me is taking the opportunity during kids sports practices, music lessons, dance lessons...whatever....to exercise. That's usually a free hour to hour and a half to exercise. I would wear my running gear and during the practice tell my kids:

"I'll be back when you are done."

So for an hour practice I'd run for 45 minutes, get in some miles and be back in time to take 'em home. For those who say I just don't have time due to kids activities - well...these are hidden hours that you could get back for yourself to exercise.

I can't tell you how many parents just sit there on their phones for an hour. Get up - walk around. It is possible.

One thing that always helps me is taking the opportunity during kids sports practices, music lessons, dance lessons...whatever....to exercise. That's usually a free hour to hour and a half to exercise. I would wear my running gear and during the practice tell my kids:

So for an hour practice I'd run for 45 minutes, get in some miles and be back in time to take 'em home. For those who say I just don't have time due to kids activities - well...these are hidden hours that you could get back for yourself to exercise.

I can't tell you how many parents just sit there on their phones for an hour. Get up - walk around. It is possible.
Well my kid drives now so I don't have to sit there@#$@# lol

Yeah I used to do that tooo.... I'm afraid to push to much because of my back.... Even certain stretches hurt. I can just make it through a round of golf with little pain

i love my diet..... its absolutely awful though ;) My body of course not - its why I need to lose weight. Somwhere along the way I just stopped exercising or caring about exercise. Strangely enough the coincided with kids and me stop playing organized sports in my late 30's. Now I have injuries I need to navigate around from various accidents/injuries.....

So I kind of really don't care - im happ and unhappy at the same time lol

Absolutely. Awesome suggestion.

For me, one of those is walking my neighborhood while on the phone with my parents or friends. Why sit stationary in my house? Better to get out and walk.

I’ve decided to keep my gross calories capped at 1500-1600 regardless of how much I exercise for the day. That might be a mistake — I play pickup basketball once a week and run 3-4 miles 1-2x per week. But I’ve found through previous trial and error that if I go above that calorie intake, no progress is made regardless of exercise.

To that point I’ve stayed true to that goal the past 3 days. Traveling for work today and tomorrow, which for me is a test. Can I stay true to my commitment while traveling and eating “road food?”

Weigh in this morning has me down 1.5 lbs from starting weight. That’s exactly the pace I want (1.0-1.5 lbs per week) and puts me on track to meet my goal in mid-July, even with a 4th of July weekend splurge/cheat days.
I think this is the best plan. Sometimes when exercising I can feel the calorie deficit, but it is not terrible. Once I get in the target weight zone, I'll look to increase calories and then hopefully convert some of my blubber to mass.

Busy couple of days with graduations and things. Good first week and it matches what I've done on this plan previously, recognizing that most of it is water weight. I only had 1 lower energy day, and I never felt like I was super hungry. No exercise class tonight.

DateWeightChg From StartWeekly LossAvg Calories/Daily Calories
May 15 Week219.4-7.11516
May 22212.37.11240
May 23211.28.21380
Keep it up. Consistent progress yields results. Slightly worried on your behalf that you are at an unsustainably low caloric intake given weight and activity level, but I’m not a medical doctor.

Unrelated: have always enjoyed your user name. (Mrs APK bought me a t-shirt from The Onion years ago that said “I just love corporations”)
:D The name stems from the late 90s, and my fantasy team was named the Corporation because I had (and still have I guess) a corporate job. My college friends were into wrestling at that point, and since my fantasy teams kept winning I went with the Corporation to play the heel :)

Good luck dude!
Enjoy the grind of the journey and success begets success.

6'2" 201 yesterday. in my 50s currently grinding again. I've done the back and forth swing soo many times getting ready for race season and then post season slacking off ... My old race weight was 185. Have goals of 200 195 190. Ideally 185-190 by July 4.
201 Monday 5/15
200 Friday 5/19 Thanks to 4 OTs and only 4 hours of sleep I'm ok with it. I did have a snacky evening Wednesday, it wasn't horrible but it wasn't on plan :( Personal history tells me sleep is key for my weight loss and hitting HR goals in training. Hopefully tomorrow I won't be a Clydesdale any more.
Much better sleep still not quite enough. Just to humor myself 199.
Happy about that.
6'2" early mid 50s next milestone 195
5/15 201
5/19 200
5/22 200
5/23 199
5/25 197 Getting caught up seeing success daily so I weighed in again. better sleep thankful for no OT and drank 4+L of water and ate a bit more protein.

My Wyze scale finally synced so I'm looking back at some old fluctuations and remembering habits both good and bad.
getting caught up in the success I weighed in again today. Seems like the last 2 winters killed me.
Congrats! This is one of the benefits of daily weighing, although I see other's point of view on it as well. The key is to not let success (weight drop) or failure (weight gain) influence you too much. Overall the trend should be in the right direction and yours certainly is. For me it is a daily reminder of "well the last few days have had some blips so I'm not surprised at a tick up" or "I've done well the last few days and I can see the results".

I was in pretty much the same boat last time (and pretty close this time as well). I was 226 and just stuck with a super simple math equation: Less calories in, more exercise out. It's not sexy but medical issues aside it will produce results in the long haul. I dropped to 182 previously and it took about 5 months of steady progress. I try to stick to around 1400 calories a day, but plan for a cheat day once every week to 10 days (not going crazy on the cheat day, just trying to stay out of "starvation" mode).

Keep us posted!

Start simple.

That's exactly right, I think 3500 calories equals a pound.

i love my diet..... its absolutely awful though ;) My body of course not - its why I need to lose weight. Somwhere along the way I just stopped exercising or caring about exercise. Strangely enough the coincided with kids and me stop playing organized sports in my late 30's. Now I have injuries I need to navigate around from various accidents/injuries.....

So I kind of really don't care - im happ and unhappy at the same time lol
This is also me. I really enjoy eating. I'm envious of people like Da Guru who treat food as fuel whereas I will use it as comfort. Later in life there is a natural tendency to less activity, injuries, and I think a little more proclivity towards minor depression, and its easy to get lost in food. It takes a strong mindset to get on and stay on track. You can do it!

Sorry for no update yesterday, another long (but fun day). I had the first non drop since I started, and I think this is the part where most of the water weight is gone so I'll see fluctuations up and down. Took one of my team members to lunch for his birthday and he picked barbeque, so I only ate half the pulled pork and baked beans. For dinner we went to the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup and watched our local minor league team (Birmingham Legion) beat an MLS team (Charlotte). It was a fun upset and now Inter Miami has to travel here in early June. I got chicken tenders and more beans for dinner. Not much in the way of exercise although we probably walked 3 miles overall for lunch and dinner.

May 15 Week219.4-7.11516
May 22212.37.11240
May 23211.28.21380
May 24211.28.21900
May 25210.88.6

Great stuff @Corporation - I’ll start posting more to keep myself a little more accountable. I’m trying something a little new (to me) and really focusing on developing some habits that will stick. I’ve made some good ones over the last 5 years (really reduced sweets and stopped drinking sugar soft drinks and sweet tea). I’m focusing on some portion control techniques and making water intake and fasting more permanent.

Great stuff @Corporation - I’ll start posting more to keep myself a little more accountable. I’m trying something a little new (to me) and really focusing on developing some habits that will stick. I’ve made some good ones over the last 5 years (really reduced sweets and stopped drinking sugar soft drinks and sweet tea). I’m focusing on some portion control techniques and making water intake and fasting more permanent.
I think that will work. I drink Coke Zero or Dr. Pepper Zero Sugar (and I know those have their own bad qualities) but I don't drink so I never have to cut out beer which seems to be a big sticking point for a lot of people. Drinking water is so beneficial because of the fullness it gives you.

You are right about the habits. It is better if it is something you can do long term rather than a "get rich quick" diet scheme.

Start by drinking 3 liters of water in the morning. I found plain seltzer easier for me so I bought a soda stream.
Now I drink 4+ L daily … bonus discovery is that my tinnitus is lessened or increased based on my water intake. Providing ample motivation
I have tinnitus as well, had no idea water intake helps lessen the ringing.

Well today was my son's 23rd birthday, and we went to his favorite restaurant, a creole place. I looked hard for something that wouldn't be awful but they also have one of my favorite dishes (shrimp, crawfish, and conecuh sausage on a bed of rotini pasta with a spicy creole sauce). So today was apparently my cheat day :) I have zero idea on how to estimate that. I'm going to guess 1600 calories plus another 1000 from earlier in the day for a 2600 calorie day.

Well today was my son's 23rd birthday, and we went to his favorite restaurant, a creole place. I looked hard for something that wouldn't be awful but they also have one of my favorite dishes (shrimp, crawfish, and conecuh sausage on a bed of rotini pasta with a spicy creole sauce). So today was apparently my cheat day :) I have zero idea on how to estimate that. I'm going to guess 1600 calories plus another 1000 from earlier in the day for a 2600 calorie day.
That sounds like the perfect time for a cheat day!! Happy birthday to him!

An inauspicious week. Middle kid brought some chest cold back and have been wheezing and hacking for the past five days. Feed a cold and Starve a fever, as the old adage goes, so have done a very good job of eating everything under the sun.

5/19/23: 223.9 lbs
5/26/23: 224.4 lbs +0.5 W/W +0.5 Total

Wife ordered 2 yards of dirt and 5 of mulch for a "fun weekend project" so have some exercise staring me right in the face. Down from 240 on 3/1/23 and looking forward to getting the bend back the right way.

Happy Birthday! (That'd be a hard dish to avoid)

Start by drinking 3 liters of water in the morning. I found plain seltzer easier for me so I bought a soda stream.
Now I drink 4+ L daily … bonus discovery is that my tinnitus is lessened or increased based on my water intake. Providing ample motivation
I have tinnitus as well, had no idea water intake helps lessen the ringing.
Has for me, when I'm properly hydrated it's mild easily ignored, if I'm severely dehydrated I understand the tinnitus suicidal link (though I've not considered). YMMV.

An inauspicious week. Middle kid brought some chest cold back and have been wheezing and hacking for the past five days. Feed a cold and Starve a fever, as the old adage goes, so have done a very good job of eating everything under the sun.

5/19/23: 223.9 lbs
5/26/23: 224.4 lbs +0.5 W/W +0.5 Total

Wife ordered 2 yards of dirt and 5 of mulch for a "fun weekend project" so have some exercise staring me right in the face. Down from 240 on 3/1/23 and looking forward to getting the bend back the right way.
Just one week. Hope you all are healthy. Never too late to start a new week again.

I’ve decided to keep my gross calories capped at 1500-1600 regardless of how much I exercise for the day. That might be a mistake — I play pickup basketball once a week and run 3-4 miles 1-2x per week. But I’ve found through previous trial and error that if I go above that calorie intake, no progress is made regardless of exercise.

To that point I’ve stayed true to that goal the past 3 days. Traveling for work today and tomorrow, which for me is a test. Can I stay true to my commitment while traveling and eating “road food?”

Weigh in this morning has me down 1.5 lbs from starting weight. That’s exactly the pace I want (1.0-1.5 lbs per week) and puts me on track to meet my goal in mid-July, even with a 4th of July weekend splurge/cheat days.
Stayed focused and disciplined while traveling this week. Counted calories using the MyFitnessPal app and stuck to my targets. Fortunately was able to walk 9 miles on Wednesday, only 4 miles yesterday.

First weigh in today since Tuesday morning, weighed in down 3.0 lbs from baseline. But I flew twice in two days, so a little of that is probably dehydration. We’ll see a truer picture tomorrow morning.

Already know that Memorial Day weekend will involve food temptation. We will be at our north woods Wisconsin cabin with family, lots of unhealthy food around. I just need to stick to tracking calories — the same as any normal day — because that is what works for me.

The accountability of posting in this thread also works for me. Mrs APK reminded me today that I’m doing this to reduce the physical impact on my knees when walking, running, playing basketball or tennis. If I don’t take this action, I might have to give up sports altogether……and that would be fairly traumatic to be brutally honest.

We will be at our north woods Wisconsin cabin with family, lots of unhealthy food around. I just need to stick to tracking calories — the same as any normal day — because that is what works for me.

It's funny how different people are - I'm the exact opposite - I'd rather totally avoid the food or fast, I don't want to eat one cookie or 8 French fries and count calories - I always have trouble with that but just avoidance works for me.

We will be at our north woods Wisconsin cabin with family, lots of unhealthy food around. I just need to stick to tracking calories — the same as any normal day — because that is what works for me.

It's funny how different people are - I'm the exact opposite - I'd rather totally avoid the food or fast, I don't want to eat one cookie or 8 French fries and count calories - I always have trouble with that but just avoidance works for me.
God, I would love to be able to do that. I’ve tried — but sadly that doesn’t work for me with food (it does for alcohol though).

God, I would love to be able to do that. I’ve tried — but sadly that doesn’t work for me with food (it does for alcohol though).
I'm with AAA here. I need strict avoidance or it won't stick. I'm currently eating the exact same thing every day... nothing more, nothing less. I'm too weak to be flexible :lmao:

I'm with AAA here. I need strict avoidance or it won't stick. I'm currently eating the exact same thing every day... nothing more, nothing less. I'm too weak to be flexible :lmao:
Hey, whatever works is the way to go. It’s just a different type of discipline — avoid altogether or limit portions.

As an example, last night I cheated by eating an extra scoop of ice cream — by spoon, out of the container. Obviously a warning sign! But I stayed within my caloric goal, despite the odd behavior.

Wish I could just quit certain foods cold turkey. No idea why it works for alcohol but not food. (Probably because I still have to eat food……)

Stayed focused and disciplined while traveling this week. Counted calories using the MyFitnessPal app and stuck to my targets. Fortunately was able to walk 9 miles on Wednesday, only 4 miles yesterday.

First weigh in today since Tuesday morning, weighed in down 3.0 lbs from baseline. But I flew twice in two days, so a little of that is probably dehydration. We’ll see a truer picture tomorrow morning.

Already know that Memorial Day weekend will involve food temptation. We will be at our north woods Wisconsin cabin with family, lots of unhealthy food around. I just need to stick to tracking calories — the same as any normal day — because that is what works for me.

The accountability of posting in this thread also works for me. Mrs APK reminded me today that I’m doing this to reduce the physical impact on my knees when walking, running, playing basketball or tennis. If I don’t take this action, I might have to give up sports altogether……and that would be fairly traumatic to be brutally honest.
This is a great week, keep it up!

Happy Birthday! (That'd be a hard dish to avoid)
Totally worth the cheat :) It was so good.

I've noticed that sometimes my cheat days take a day to manifest. Surprisingly I was 209.9 this morning. I'd bet a dollar I'll be up some amount tomorrow morning.

May 15 Week219.4-7.11516
May 22212.37.11240
May 23211.28.21380
May 24211.28.21900
May 25210.88.62700 (total guess)
May 26209.99.5

If you guys are trying to ween off chips, these Quest Protein chips are pretty tasty and will leave you feeling satisfied after one serving - 140 calories, 20g of protein, 5g carbs. Nice change of pace from a protein bar as well: https://www.target.com/p/quest-nutr...z/-/A-78613236?preselect=78613236#lnk=sametab
Totally agree! I get a different flavor (I think nacho cheese) but they are tasty and do a good job battling off hunger pains!
I was really surprised how good they tasted. Light and barely any protein after taste. Crumble them up and they spice up an otherwise boring salad.

If you guys are trying to ween off chips, these Quest Protein chips are pretty tasty and will leave you feeling satisfied after one serving - 140 calories, 20g of protein, 5g carbs. Nice change of pace from a protein bar as well: https://www.target.com/p/quest-nutr...z/-/A-78613236?preselect=78613236#lnk=sametab
Totally agree! I get a different flavor (I think nacho cheese) but they are tasty and do a good job battling off hunger pains!

Sodium bombs.

Sodium bombs.
Yup

Sodium bombs.
300mg doesn’t seem high for chips but I don’t actively monitor my sodium as my intake is pretty low. Sugar is my enemy.

Sodium bombs.
300mg doesn’t seem high for chips but I don’t actively monitor my sodium as my intake is pretty low. Sugar is my enemy.

Serving of Lays classic is 170mg sodium.

Does anybody else see themselves differently in the mirror based on their current lifestyle?

Meaning, if I’m doing good, diet and exercise-wise and losing I can look at my 190 lb. self and I look better than my 190 lb. after gaining. I’m sure it’s mental but right now I look and don’t feel that bad about myself - still need to drop 30 though. I’m really working on not doing quick fixes and incorporating things in to my routines. Biggest change is I’ve had like 2 beers in 3 weeks - I think it’s my biggest weakness.

Users who are viewing this thread