What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Further Proof Vegas Has Influence (1 Viewer)

daivos

Footballguy
:05 seconds left. Pittsburgh: 11, San Diego: 10

San Diego ball on own 20 yard-line. San Diego completes an 8-yard pass and laterals twice. Troy Polamalu sticks hand into third lateral attempt, picks it up, and falls into the end-zone. Score, Pittsburgh: 17, San Diego: 10

Game over. Time expires.

Wait, the officials want to review. Why? Pittsburgh wins under any circumstance. There weren't any flags on the field. What are they reviewing?

Illegal forward pass.

"I didn't see any illegal forward passes on the play," says Phil Simms.

"After review, there was an illegal forward pass on the play..."

Final score. Pittsburgh: 11, San Diego: 10

Point Spread? Pittsburgh -3.5

Disclaimer: I had no money on the game and do not gamble often on sports.

Last edited by a moderator:

San Diego ball on own 20 yard-line. San Diego completes an 8-yard pass and laterals twice. Troy Polamalu sticks hand into third lateral attempt, picks it up, and falls into the end-zone. Score, Pittsburgh: 17, San Diego: 10

Game over. Time expires.

Wait, the officials want to review. Why? Pittsburgh wins under any circumstance. There weren't any flags on the field. What are they reviewing?

Illegal forward pass.

What about the bets on SD? :confused:

Game over. Time expires.

Illegal forward pass.

Not the first thing Phil Simms has missed. BTW, Troy broke up the second lateral, not the third.

Most of the money was on Pittsburgh so it was in Vegas best interest to take away the TD, but I don't think it was fixed.

If you want evidence of games being thrown, look no further than Jacksonville's Reggie Nelson refusing to even pretend to tackle Justin Gage on the first of his two TDs, followed by the Jacksonville kickoff returner deliberately kicking the ball out of bounds at the 3 yard line. I still can't believe what I saw.

Most of the money was on Pittsburgh so it was in Vegas best interest to take away the TD, but I don't think it was fixed.
??????????????????????The book will work as hard as possible to get the same amount of money on both sides. He pays the winners with the loser's money and drags the Juice (the vig, the rake).

So let me get this straight. The officials knew that Vegas, for some reason, wanted SD to win the line?
Tim Donaghy happened in the NBA, officials are human (can fall to corruption). Some things are just too fishy but I don't think this was one of those times.

Believe it or not, one of the tiebreakers the league uses is points so they have a reason to review this that does not involve Vegas. Not saying the points tiebreaker will come into play or even has much of a chance but they would have kicked the extra point if ruled a TD for the same reason.

??????????????????????The book will work as hard as possible to get the same amount of money on both sides. He pays the winners with the loser's money and drags the Juice (the vig, the rake).
Most of the money was on the Steelers to cover -3.5 (61% on PIT vs 39% on SD at one place for example). If the TD counted then they would've lost money.

All these rapidly appearing conspiracy theories and the fact is the refs got the call right. It's the NFL equivalent of the Kennedy assasination.

Most of the money was on the Steelers to cover -3.5 (61% on PIT vs 39% on SD at one place for example). If the TD counted then they would've lost money.
Dude...where are you getting your figures? I can promise you that any book who has that big of a differential won't last long.

Well considering that not a single person in America can vouch that it was a forward lateral, how can this not be a betting fix since it impacted the point spread? What kind of officiating error would you call it? Perhaps they use fun-house mirrors in the officiating booth that confuses their vision. I can't wait for the explanation on this one. This one is going to be really tough to sweep under the rug.

Dude...where are you getting your figures? I can promise you that any book who has that big of a differential won't last long.
http://www.wagerline.com/Handicapping/Cons...p;eventID=25342 This tells me that most of the $ was going on the Steelers.

Well considering that not a single person in America can vouch that it was a forward lateral, how can this not be a betting fix since it impacted the point spread?
As soon as I heard the call of a forward lateral, my immediate thought was that it was Tomlinson's near-handoff to Chambers. I suspected forward lateral before a single replay was shown. You're being obtuse.

There isn't always split action. The Houston-Indy game earlier in the year when Houston blew it was bad for the books.another example of nonsplit action in this article.

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/33740229.html

Well considering that not a single person in America can vouch that it was a forward lateral, how can this not be a betting fix since it impacted the point spread? What kind of officiating error would you call it? Perhaps they use fun-house mirrors in the officiating booth that confuses their vision. I can't wait for the explanation on this one. This one is going to be really tough to sweep under the rug.
Not really. Steelers win either way so nobody except people who gamble are going to care. The NFL is not even going to give it a second thought, let alone fret and try to sweep it under the rug.

LT clearly made a forward pass on the first lateral. Not the second one, that Palamalu broke up. It was the correct call.

Three people in this thread have vouched that it was a forward lateral. The ref, who has the only vote that really counts, makes 4. No error, no explanation needed.

LT clearly made a forward pass on the first lateral. Not the second one, that Palamalu broke up. It was the correct call.
Yep.:-)05) (Shotgun) 17-P.Rivers pass short middle to 21-L.Tomlinson to SD 24 for 3 yards. Lateral to 89-C.Chambers to SD 26 for 2 yards (43-T.Polamalu). FUMBLES (43-T.Polamalu), RECOVERED by PIT-43-T.Polamalu at SD 12. 43-T.Polamalu for 12 yards, TOUCHDOWN. The Replay Assistant challenged the backward pass ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) 17-P.Rivers pass short middle to 21-L.Tomlinson, dead ball declared at SD 26 for 5 yards. PENALTY on SD-21-L.Tomlinson, Illegal Forward Pass, 0 yards, enforced at SD 5.

LT2 pitched it at the 25.5, and CC caught it at the 26 as LT2 was running ahead of him (giving the appearance it was a backward lateral).You know what, though...let's run with your line of thinking...so how did it go down? When the ref goes in the booth, is there a secret line in there that the Mafia called?

This one is going to be really tough to sweep under the rug.

Really? Really??

http://www.mcall.com/topic/cs-061031...,1901865.story

If the offense commits an illegal forward pass, (either two passes on the same down, or passing beyond the LOS) and the defense intercepts the pass, is the play dead, or can the defense decline the illegal forward pass penalty and accept the interception? --Bruce Reignier, Sugar Hill, Ga.

The defense can decline the penalty for any illegal forward pass and choose to take the results of the play, which, in this case, is an interception. With few exceptions, all penalties may be declined. The ball always continues in play when an illegal forward pass is caught either by the offense or intercepted by the defense.

There's no doubt that at this point, no matter what the facts and evidence show, there will always be some poor souls who will go to their graves believing that some conspiracy went down today in Pittsburgh. To those individuals I say: please do everyone a favor and stay securely locked in your homes. Seriously, stay off the streets, don't operate heavy machinery, don't procreate.

There's no doubt that at this point, no matter what the facts and evidence show, there will always be some poor souls who will go to their graves believing that some conspiracy went down today in Pittsburgh. To those individuals I say: please do everyone a favor and stay securely locked in your homes. Seriously, stay off the streets, don't operate heavy machinery, don't procreate.
So did the NBA have a problem?

Would you have said the same to the people complaining about Tim Donaghy officiated games? Not saying anything happened today but to think that ref's aren't corruptible and are perfect human beings is another thing.

Three people in this thread have vouched that it was a forward lateral. The ref, who has the only vote that really counts, makes 4. No error, no explanation needed.
OK, sorry I jumped the gun on my comments on this one and never saw the replay. I saw it first time live, then I went to feed the dog. I need to have a meeting with my P.R. folks now and do some damage control and figure out a game plan to reinstate my credibility on this board since I've made a big "foot-n-mouth" statement today!

I can't decide which emotion wins out... :wall: VS :bag: VS :football:

Would you have said the same to the people complaining about Tim Donaghy officiated games? Not saying anything happened today but to think that ref's aren't corruptible and are perfect human beings is another thing.
Anybody who believes that, also believes in lollipop Trees and gumdrop clouds......and should never leave the house.

I have to admit though, it IS kind of funny picturing someone who had the mortgage on the Steelers.

You'll never see a wider range of emotions in a four minute period. (From the TD until after the review.)

I can't decide which emotion wins out... :wall: VS :bag: VS :football:
What emotion? This is reality, and it is a simple question, which you are now being asked a 3rd time, did the NBA have a problem or not?

Earth to imbeciles, there is no issue of referee incompetence or potential corruption because...

real slowly now so all can grasp and comprehend...

here it comes...

THEY MADE THE RIGHT CALL.

Earth to imbeciles, there is no issue of referee incompetence or potential corruption because...

here it comes...

They may or may have not made the right call, it probably was the right call but you're avoiding his NBA question.

here it comes...

They may or may have not made the right call, it probably was the right call but you're avoiding his NBA question.
Who the flip cares about the NBA question? This has nothing to do with corrupt officials, game fixing, incompetence, or the NBA. This has all to do with morons thinking that a call in opposition to what really happened was made in order to please a side in Vegas.

Forget about conspiracies and vegas for a second. I actually would like to know what the rule is. Let's assume that the pass from LT was definitely forward. Is that it? Does the play end there with a dead ball? That pass didn't hit the ground so it's not incomplete. Is it a dead ball the second it was an illegal forward pass? I don't think that is the rule but I'm not really sure. Anyone?

I fully expected my statement to be proven out over time. I didn't expect it to be so glaringly proven in minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread