What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Game 272 - Detroit at Green Bay -4.5, o/u 49.0*** (1 Viewer)

The GB D/ST is hot now, Goff better bring his A Game.

Pretty sure Detroit needs Goff to bring his B+ game. Team's not really built to live or die with Jared.

Lines OL has done a nice job in protection, with the 3rd lowest sack % this year. Running the ball, Detroit has over 200 2000 yards and 25 TDs from their 3 RBs.

Green Bay is playing fantastic complimentary football while winning 4 straight. Nixon is THE best KR in the game, running game is rounding into form, and the defense has been a turnover machine.

Goff has not thrown an interception in 290 passes. During their 7-2 run he's put up 200 completions (65.8%), 2310 yards 17 TDs and 1 INT. Since D.J. Chark has gotten healthy, his deep ball passing has been noticeably more effective.

Rogers does not have a 300 yard game this year. In fact, he's had exactly one game over 250 - Week 9 v Detroit (283, 1 TD, 3 INT.) But historically he has owned Detroit, winning 18 of 25 GS against them. In those 25 games he has averaged 254 /g with 53 TDs and 11 INT. He's lost his last two starts v the Lions (both at Ford Field), though last year he sat out the 2nd half (Detroit was leading 17-14 when he departed.)

Jamaal needs 6 yards to pass 1K for the first time and 1 TD to tie Barry Sanders season record of 16.

Packers have 557 yards rushing in their win streak and have topped 200 three times. Dillon has 6 TDs in his last 5 g, and Aaron Jones is over 1K rushing for the year.

Packers have 24 takeaways (+4) and 33 sacks

Lions have 27 takeaways (+5) and 37 sacks

Last edited:
I’m getting so lame in my old age - gave my tickets for this one to a colleague some weeks ago - but I feel ok about it now that they flexed it to Sunday night. That long drive home after a cold night in Lambeau on a work night is no bueno for an old fart. I’ll take this one in from the couch thanks.

I’m getting so lame in my old age - gave my tickets for this one to a colleague some weeks ago - but I feel ok about it now that they flexed it to Sunday night. That long drive home after a cold night in Lambeau on a work night is no bueno for an old fart. I’ll take this one in from the couch thanks.

I can relate!

:lol:

We're hosting a watch party with about 15 friends. Wife has a pretty good spread lined up.

I don't actually know any Lions fans in NYC; decade ago I used to occasionally go to Mercury Bar East (Murray Hill, closed) meetup group with other Detroit fans. Nmdakong Suh's sister used to roll in with her crew, think she was attending NYU.

The friends coming in Sunday night are all Jets, Giants, or Chiefs fans who really want to see my team finally do something.

GMFB | "Revenge game for Aaron Rodgers!" - Kyle can't wait Packers vs Detroit Lions Week 18

100% of the narratives I have seen this week (when we occasionally take a short break from Hamlin discussion) has been Aaron Rodgers, running the table, Green Bay in cold weather against a dome team. Such an amazing story they've come back from 3-6 and 4-8.

The other team - I double checked, there is one - started out 1-6.

A year removed from trading away the face of the franchise, 2nd youngest roster in the league, by a country mile playing rookies more snaps than any other team. This wasn't supposed to be their year to compete for a division title, and they didn't; that's Y3 of the rebuild. But they're learning how to trust one another and they found different ways to win games.
  • WK 9 tough low scoring defensive matchup GB 15-9
  • cold weather road win: Bears (OK, but they're still an NFL team)
  • cold weather road win: 7-2 Giants
  • comfortable 3-phase dominating wins: Jax, MIN (score was close, game was not), CHI
  • comeback wins: @CHI, @NYJ
  • lost a close one (25-28) to BUF on Thanksgiving which was almost as annoying as the @ MIN loss....also lost by 3 to PHI but never felt like that one was going to go their way.,..man, they were so close to having an actual good year instead of a pretty good for the Lions year
When they were 1-6 they fired the DBs assistant coach and traded TJ Hockenson. With the exception of the Carolina disaster, the defense has been solid. Creating a lot of turnovers and the DL is getting sacks without blitzing. On the TE front, they set a team record with 12 TDs (3 to Hock, 1 to the 5th round rookie, 8 to a pair of UDFAs.)

Highly ironic that Goff and Detroit need the Rams to do them a solid to make this a winner takes #7 matchup. But I have a feeling Dan Campbell will have them ready regardless of what's at stake.

Odd but interesting trivia stat I read on twitter but haven’t confirmed and can’t find now - if Aaron Rodgers rushes for 16+ yards Sunday night, it will be his 15th consecutive season with 100 or more yards rushing, which puts him (I think) at or near the top all time for QBs. I believe Tarkenton had 15 straight. I think the tweet said it’s also near the top for this stat overall regardless of position because running backs don’t often play for 15+ years. Hard to confirm though because not many stats people track 100 yard seasons. Frank Gore had something like 17 and Emmit Smith had 15 straight.

Odd but interesting trivia stat I read on twitter but haven’t confirmed and can’t find now - if Aaron Rodgers rushes for 16+ yards Sunday night, it will be his 15th consecutive season with 100 or more yards rushing, which puts him (I think) at or near the top all time for QBs. I believe Tarkenton had 15 straight. I think the tweet said it’s also near the top for this stat overall regardless of position because running backs don’t often play for 15+ years. Hard to confirm though because not many stats people track 100 yard seasons. Frank Gore had something like 17 and Emmit Smith had 15 straight.

Tarkenton was fun to watch / be tormented by - he was very much an anomaly when he first came out. Decade later there were running/mobile QBs by the dozen, but he was a pioneer to scrambling.

Good segment this week with zen Aaron on McAfee talking about Hamlin and what it's been like seeing this version of the Packers "learn how to win - which you have to do every year"

I hate him and FTP but def respect the game; everyone likes to bag on him bc he's showing a more sensitive side these days, but I find it endearing. Wait....I mean....I hate him a little less.

I think I found a mistake on the NFL's website. According to their stats, a victory would give Detroit a winning record. The Detroit Lions. A winning season. Who do I contact about this obvious mistake?

(No dog in the fight, but rooting for the Lions Sunday night).

Packers playing well right now. Lions not playing badly either. Gotta figure at home,outdoors on The Frozen Tundra Packers have an advantage. But I can't discount the way The Lions plat for their head coach. They certainly have an offense that put points on the board. Can their defense make enough plays to keep them in the game? The pick for me comes down to my post in the thread started way back before the season began,Bold Predictions for the 2023 season. One of my bold predictions was that The Lions would beat The Packers in the last game of the season to knock the Packers out of the playoffs,so...

Detroit- 37
Green Bay- 33

Everyone who considers themself an American should be rooting for Detroit. What's the fun in rooting for King Kong? We love the underdog, the misfits, the downtrodden, overlooked, ne're-do-wells whose ship finally comes in.

OK, maybe next year. 89% chance this is win and in v the spoiler. Still looking forward to somebody being sad.

Everyone who considers themself an American should be rooting for Detroit. What's the fun in rooting for King Kong? We love the underdog, the misfits, the downtrodden, overlooked, ne're-do-wells whose ship finally comes in.

OK, maybe next year. 89% chance this is win and in v the spoiler. Still looking forward to somebody being sad.
Us on the bottom rung, we’re rooting for the Texans.

Dan Campbell on potentially knowing they're eliminated before kickoff on SNF:

"There's one objective and that's winning this game. It's us or it's nobody”

Hutch on GMFB (NFL Network) Thursday morning

light & fluffy interview; he's a good kid

film breakdown of WK 9 matchup

Not a huge fan of Chris Simms in general but he does a good surface recap here; I'll have more to say about this game later. Both the Packers and Lions are different teams than the one that met at Ford Field - both teams are playing good complementary football in the two months since then, personne/rolesl have changed - and I'm not sure how much there is to learn from a game in which Rodgers gets picked off three times in the end zone while Goff gets held to 137 yards.

The Lions have played the Packers in the season finale 10 of the past 20 seasons
  • 2007 @ Green Bay Packers 34-13
  • 2008 @ Green Bay Packers 31-21
  • 2012 @ Green Bay Packers 27-20
  • 2014 @ Green Bay Packers 30-20*
  • 2016 @ Detroit Packers 31-24
  • 2017 @ Detroit Lions 35-11
  • 2018 @ Green Bay Lions 31-0
  • 2019 @ Detroit Packers 23-22
  • 2021 @ Detroit Lions 37-30
  • 2022 @ Green Bay TBD

*25th straight home win for GB (1992-2014 + 2 playoff game)

GMFB | "Revenge game for Aaron Rodgers!" - Kyle can't wait Packers vs Detroit Lions Week 18

100% of the narratives I have seen this week (when we occasionally take a short break from Hamlin discussion) has been Aaron Rodgers, running the table, Green Bay in cold weather against a dome team. Such an amazing story they've come back from 3-6 and 4-8.

The other team - I double checked, there is one - started out 1-6.

A year removed from trading away the face of the franchise, 2nd youngest roster in the league, by a country mile playing rookies more snaps than any other team. This wasn't supposed to be their year to compete for a division title, and they didn't; that's Y3 of the rebuild. But they're learning how to trust one another and they found different ways to win games.
  • WK 9 tough low scoring defensive matchup GB 15-9
  • cold weather road win: Bears (OK, but they're still an NFL team)
  • cold weather road win: 7-2 Giants
  • comfortable 3-phase dominating wins: Jax, MIN (score was close, game was not), CHI
  • comeback wins: @CHI, @NYJ
  • lost a close one (25-28) to BUF on Thanksgiving which was almost as annoying as the @ MIN loss....also lost by 3 to PHI but never felt like that one was going to go their way.,..man, they were so close to having an actual good year instead of a pretty good for the Lions year
When they were 1-6 they fired the DBs assistant coach and traded TJ Hockenson. With the exception of the Carolina disaster, the defense has been solid. Creating a lot of turnovers and the DL is getting sacks without blitzing. On the TE front, they set a team record with 12 TDs (3 to Hock, 1 to the 5th round rookie, 8 to a pair of UDFAs.)

Highly ironic that Goff and Detroit need the Rams to do them a solid to make this a winner takes #7 matchup. But I have a feeling Dan Campbell will have them ready regardless of what's at stake.
What a season for Detroit! Huge fan of ARSB, and it’s nice to see Goff get some credit for playing good football.

As a native of Green Bay, there is zero chance I’ll cheer for Detroit……but…..I would be super happy to see our own Bobby Layne get to celebrate his team’s victory tomorrow. (and hey, the Pack aren’t going to do anything in the playoffs, let’s just get a better draft pick)

every sack by rookie James Houston IV

one of three players in league history to record a sack in his first four games

leads all rookies with 8.0 sacks (in 6 g)
  • Thanksgiving v Bills - 2 sacks in 4 snaps
  • Wk 13 v Jags - 1 sack 12 snaps
  • Wk 14 v Vikes - 1 sack 20 snaps
  • Wk 15 @ NYJ - 1 sack 3 tackles 25 snaps
  • Wk 16 v CH - 3 sacks 1 FF (recovered by Hutch) season high 33 snaps
6’0-1/4” 244 HBCU kid out of Jackson State (played for Coach Prime) - 16.50 sacks senior year (also 3 yrs as ILB at Florida)

217th player taken in draft, Final Cut, resigned to practice squad

PFF Grade 89.5

The Lions have played the Packers in the season finale 10 of the past 20 seasons
  • 2022 @ Green Bay TBD

The worst Lion Packer season finale was 1994 at the Silverdome. Lions seemed to dominate the game but could not pull away and then the Favre to Sharpe TD was devastating. I went to almost all of the Lions home games in the 90's, that game was the worst along with the Redskin game they choked away a big lead in 1990.

• 2022 @ Green Bay TBD

The worst Lion Packer season finale was 1994 at the Silverdome. Lions seemed to dominate the game but could not pull away and then the Favre to Sharpe TD was devastating. I went to almost all of the Lions home games in the 90's, that game was the worst along with the Redskin game they choked away a big lead in 1990.

Detroit won the 1993 Finale 30-20 at the Silverdome to win their last division title

The following week, playoff rematch in the Silverdome, is the game you’re remembering - 40 yard bomb with less than a minute left.

24-28, 5 lead changes.

1994 is the only time in league history teams played each other 5 times [in the same calendar year]

the season finale won by Detroit
the playoff loss in Detroit
Week 10 Packers 38-30 @ GB
Week 14 Lions 34-31 @ DET
WC playoff Packers 16-12*

*Barry had 13 rushes for (-1) yard

• 2022 @ Green Bay TBD

Detroit won the 1993 Finale 30-20 at the Silverdome to win their last division title

The following week, playoff rematch in the Silverdome, is the game you’re remembering - 40 yard bomb with less than a minute left.

24-28, 5 lead changes.

1994 is the only time in league history teams played each other 5 times

I was at the playoff game where Barry was held to negative rushing yards. Crazy.

• 2022 @ Green Bay TBD

24-28, 5 lead changes.

1994 is the only time in league history teams played each other 5 times [in the same calendar year]

I may be wrong on the year but the Sharpe TD was the last game of the year at the Silverdome and the Lions had to go to GB the next week in the first round of the playoffs and lost if my memory is correct.

1991 the Lions had their best season of the Super Bowl era (12-4), trounced Dallas 38-6 to advance to their only Conference Championship Game

they swept the Packers to close the series to 55-61-4. that’s the narrowest it’s been since the early 1930s.

since then (the entirety of the Favre-Rodgers era), Packers have gone 44-19 v Detroit.

Campbell has won the last two meetings v GB.

• 2022 @ Green Bay TBD

24-28, 5 lead changes.

I may be wrong on the year but the Sharpe TD was the last game of the year at the Silverdome and the Lions had to go to GB the next week in the first round of the playoffs and lost if my memory is correct.

yeah, 1993 season but both took place in January 1994

• 2022 @ Green Bay TBD

24-28, 5 lead changes.

yeah, 1993 season but both took place in January 1994
I think you are right and my memory is off. I thought the Sharpe TD was to determine home field for the next week playoff game but research shows that game was a playoff game, I'm getting old.....

• 2022 @ Green Bay TBD

And I was at that 2018 debacle. First time we took our son up for a game. Team was pretty crap already...then Rodgers gets concussed and we got to watch Deshaun Watson Deshone Kiser do nothing all day.

Last edited:
  • 2022 @ Green Bay TBD

24-28, 5 lead changes.

Still one of the best passes Ive seen as far as arm strength. Drifting left throwing back that far back to the right. Sharpe was such a baller too.

• 2022 @ Green Bay TBD

And I was at that 2018 debacle. First time we took our son up for a game. Team was pretty crap already...then Rodgers gets concussed and we got to watch Deshaun Watson do nothing all day.
I would like to forget Kiser's name too.

• 2022 @ Green Bay TBD

And I was at that 2018 debacle. First time we took our son up for a game. Team was pretty crap already...then Rodgers gets concussed and we got to watch Deshaun Watson do nothing all day.
I would like to forget Kiser's name too.
Yeah...as soon as I posted it...I thought back, wrong Deshaun/Deshone. Its funny as I am planning a trip up next year with some friends (who I have told for years we need to get up to a game)...and was thinking I hope we get a better game than that crapfest. Hoping to match up a Badger home game too and hit both in a weekend once the schedules are out.

• 2022 @ Green Bay TBD

24-28, 5 lead changes.

Still one of the best passes Ive seen as far as arm strength. Drifting left throwing back that far back to the right. Sharpe was such a baller too.

Def was a great play

Which I possibly never admitted for 30 years lol

Among all QBs since the start of December, Lions QB Jared Goff ranks:

- 1st in passer rating (113.0)
- 1st in INTs (0)
- t-1st in passing TDs (12)
- 2nd in yards/attempt (8.11)
- 2nd in passing 1st downs (82)
- t-2nd in 25+ yard passes (12)
- 3rd in passing yards (1,532)

I spent a little time looking at stats this week, season long and splits, Goff v Rodgers, Lions D during their 9 g streak v Pack D during their 7 game stretch.

Could build a convincing argument Goff is objectively better in 2022, the Packers defense is exploitable, Detroit is better than people realize on that side of the ball, Detroit has better STs.

Bottom line though - Rodgers/LaFleur don’t lose these late season games at home. Detroit has played Green Bay four times in prime time in the ARod era and lost all four - by single digits, but who cares, still an L. Goff doesn’t do as well in the road (he’s actually hit pretty good hold weather stats this year.) The narrative won’t change until they (Detroit) do something.

The Lions are ascendent. Tremendous turnaround from the 1-6 start. The Carolina debacle probably cost them their shot. Regardless, they are primed for a good run in 2023.

Hopefully Baker / Wagner / McVey come through. Don’t care. Just want to see them beat Rodgers & finish the year strong.

• 2022 @ Green Bay TBD

How many of those times were the playoffs on the line for BOTH teams?

• 2022 @ Green Bay TBD

How many of those times were the playoffs on the line for BOTH teams?

2016 was the last time AFAIK

I’m so happy they flexed this game. I only get to watch half the afternoon games & the late game, and I’m looking forward to this one.

Gonna be cold, but otherwise weather shouldn’t be an issue.

Would love to see Seattle lose
Looking a little more like this game could be meaningless and that would be a shame for the NFL and the fans
Those that are not Seahawk fans of course

Detroit Lions inactives:

CB Jeff Okudah
RB Craig Reynolds
RB Jermar Jefferson
DL Michael Brockers
DL Austin Bryant
G Kayode Awosika
G Ross Pierschbacker

figured Okudah was going to be out late addition to injury report

going with 3 RBs

Lions win and lament not being able to make the Seahawks punt earlier in the year.

yep

not even once

Lost by 3 to Eagles (was not that close), by 4 to Vikings & Dolphins, 3 to Seahawks & Bills

Beat Packers-Giants-Jaguars-Vikings

they can hang with anyone

defense will be better next year with more talent coming in

Damn, was hoping the Rams could've pulled it out to make this one even more interesting. Still going to be a good one I think, especially if the Lions decide to open up a bit and take some risks with nothing but pride on the line. Maybe just leave the punter in the locker room.

Well as Mr. Parcells used to say "You are what your record says you are"
The Lions record says they are not a playoff team this year.
Too bad,I was pulling for them.
So now no pressure to "win and get in",do they play loose and knock Mr. Mushroom out of the postseason?
Or is the disappointment too much and when the game gets tight they flop?

I'll say 27-23 GB.

I think GB has lots of success running the ball, and Watson gets deep at least once.

I think St. Brown has a huge game. GB really struggles against that type of player.

Fans seemed confused by a moment of support vs moment of silence type things. The cheer for Damar fell flat there Green Bay.

Users who are viewing this thread