What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game Thread - Divisionals - New England V Denver (1 Viewer)

YES!!! The day has finally arrived. Time to go get stocked up with beer and snacks.My prediction is Denver comes out on fire. Denver does really well with its scripted drives. I can see Denver being up by 10 at halftime and then Denver will go into its 3rd quarter funk. NE will catch up and this game will be decided by a FGin the 4th quarter.Sadly I had a nightmare last night that the final was NE 23 DENVER 21--I hope I am wrong. :(

IN! :banned: Big NE party down here down in memphis... mostly MASS natives. Pats on the bigscreen, a keg of Sam Adams, and a poker tourney :thumbup:My OFFICIAL prediction:NE ------ 30DEN ---- 20

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI:

The team has downgraded two players to out for tonight's game -- running back Patrick Pass and offensive lineman Gene Mruczkowski. Without Pass, the Patriots lose their third option in the offensive backfield, which means Heath Evans should be active. Pass was also playing on the punt coverage team in the season finale, taking the spot previously occupied by Tedy Bruschi. Mruczkowski has been on the team's 45-man game-day roster, as a backup at center and guard and on the field-goal protection unit. That role should fall to Billy Yates, the second-year player who has appeared in seven career games
Pass out isn't good news by any stretch, but at least they have Faulk tonight.

I have concerns that beyond Champ Bailey - the Broncos will find it tough to defend the pass of Brady and the Patriots. I think also look for Andre Davis' speed to possibly exploit the Bronco secondary - he will not be consistent, but he might be able to get deep to cause some damage.

Go Pats!!!!! Keep on rolling 11 straight!

Faulk and Watson will be key tonight.
I agree that they have been key over the past 4 weeks or so but it is a tough matchup against the Denver LB's. If Denver can cover the Pats TE's with LB's and allow Lynch to blitz often, that will be trouble for the Pats.

Before anyone asks - the chant that the Bronco fans will be doing after NE 3rd downs is IN-COM-PLETE!! Just so you know....I hope to be hearing it alot.HERE WE GO BRONCOS HERE WE GO!!

Wow, Jake Plummer is doing his best Johnny Damon impersonation. (Interview clip from FOX at SEA/WAS halftime) - I wish I had a link.

Should be an interesting matchup of some unknowns.Brady: 1-0 in road playoff gamesPlummer: 0-0 in home playoff gamesBroncos: Haven't won a playoff game in 7 yearsPatriots: Haven't played a team coming off a bye in 8 yearsLast time there was a playoff game between two HCs with 2 SB rings or more...??

Should be an interesting matchup of some unknowns.

Brady: 1-0 in road playoff games

Plummer: 0-0 in home playoff games

Broncos: Haven't won a playoff game in 7 years

Patriots: Haven't played a team coming off a bye in 8 years

Last time there was a playoff game between two HCs with 2 SB rings or more...??
In 1984, Pittsburgh @ Miami.There probably was one more recently.

Shouldn't Brady be listed as 2-0 since both the '02 and '05 AFC Championship Games were in Pittsburgh? Granted, Brady started the '02 game and got injured.

Shouldn't Brady be listed as 2-0 since both the '02 and '05 AFC Championship Games were in Pittsburgh? Granted, Brady started the '02 game and got injured.
Seeing as how Bledsoe was responsible for the only Patriots offensive score that day, I'm giving him the win. I don't think 115 passing yards from Brady will cut it today. :football: Really should be a great game. Really looking forward to it. I wouldn't be shocked if the next 5 games after this are blowouts. Could be the last great game of the season.

My prediction:MVP of the game: Jake PlummerThe Broncos have early success running the ball, and NE has to leave their subpar corners out on an island. Lelie beats them for a couple of deep passes, and Smith comes through with timely third down catches.Patriots are able to stay with them most of the game, but Brady throws a late INT to end it.Broncos 27, Patriots 20.

Per the Boston Globe . . .Rookie Nick Kaczur out. Tom Ashworth will start at left tackle. The team is dressing seven linemen: Tom Ashworth, Logan Mankins, Russ Hochstein, Stephen Neal, Brandon Gorin, Billy Yates and Ross Tucker.WR Bam Childress and Bethel Johnson inactive and have only Deion Branch, David Givens, Troy Brown, Andre Davis and Tim Dwight active.RB Patrick Pass out.The Patriots enter the game with five linemen: Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, Jarvis Green and Marquise Hill.Matt Cassel listed as the third quarterback.

My prediction:

MVP of the game: Jake Plummer

The Broncos have early success running the ball, and NE has to leave their subpar corners out on an island. Lelie beats them for a couple of deep passes, and Smith comes through with timely third down catches.

Patriots are able to stay with them most of the game, but Brady throws a late INT to end it.

Broncos 27, Patriots 20.
You've just described my dream game, Chase.

Per the Boston Globe . . .

Rookie Nick Kaczur out. Tom Ashworth will start at left tackle. The team is dressing seven linemen: Tom Ashworth, Logan Mankins, Russ Hochstein, Stephen Neal, Brandon Gorin, Billy Yates and Ross Tucker.

WR Bam Childress and Bethel Johnson inactive and have only Deion Branch, David Givens, Troy Brown, Andre Davis and Tim Dwight active.

RB Patrick Pass out.

The Patriots enter the game with five linemen: Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, Jarvis Green and Marquise Hill.

Matt Cassel listed as the third quarterback.
Wow, losing Kaczur really hurts the O-Line. Ashworth is capable but leaves NO depth.

The Patriots enter the game with five linemen: Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, Jarvis Green and Marquise Hill.
Very interesting. Belichick cursed himself for only carrying 5 DL against the Panthers, because he correctly guessed that DL get more tired in the Super Bowl.Curious to see him carry only 5 DL when his team isn't good at running the ball and the opponent excels at running the ball (therefore, Denver could really win the TOP battle) and this game is in Mile High.

I'm a big FF guy...obviously. I eat, sleep, and dream FF.BUT...Do we REALLY need the Gridiron Guru telling people who to keep and who not to keep on the bottom ticker?Please. It's a playoff game. Keep the talk there.

My prediction:

MVP of the game: Jake Plummer

The Broncos have early success running the ball, and NE has to leave their subpar corners out on an island. Lelie beats them for a couple of deep passes, and Smith comes through with timely third down catches.

Patriots are able to stay with them most of the game, but Brady throws a late INT to end it.

Broncos 27, Patriots 20.
You've just described my dream game, Chase.
And probably the MOST unlikely scenario imaginable. If the ball is in Brady's hands late in the game with a chance to tie the game, history has shown that the LAST thing that Brady is going to do is throw an interception.Keep dreaming.

It would tell me that he plans on playing the 3-4 almost exclusively which makes sense anyway since Anderson and Bell have struggled against the 3-4.Very interesting. Belichick cursed himself for only carrying 5 DL against the Panthers, because he correctly guessed that DL get more tired in the Super Bowl.

Curious to see him carry only 5 DL when his team isn't good at running the ball and the opponent excels at running the ball (therefore, Denver could really win the TOP battle) and this game is in Mile High.

I'm a big FF guy...obviously. I eat, sleep, and dream FF.

BUT...Do we REALLY need the Gridiron Guru telling people who to keep and who not to keep on the bottom ticker?

Please. It's a playoff game. Keep the talk there.
And did the Guru just suggest to keep Duce freakin' Staley over Thomas Jones?Wow.

Per the Boston Globe . . .The Patriots are going through warmups and rookie Logan Mankins is warming up at left tackle. Mankins started all 17 games (regular season plus playoffs) at left guard. Billy Yates is at left guard.Also, Tedy Bruschi is warming up with the starters at inside linebacker.

Very interesting. Belichick cursed himself for only carrying 5 DL against the Panthers, because he correctly guessed that DL get more tired in the Super Bowl.Curious to see him carry only 5 DL when his team isn't good at running the ball and the opponent excels at running the ball (therefore, Denver could really win the TOP battle) and this game is in Mile High.
I think we see a lot more of McGinest on the D line, and a lot more 3-5 looks and safety blitzes in an attempt to stop the run and keep Plummer in the pocket. Plummer's best when he can roll out and force the linebacker to make a decision, and the running game's obviously Denver's strength, so I'd expect a lot of pressure on the perimeter with linebacker help over the middle.

checking in... I'm pretty nervous, this surely will be the toughest game yet this season for the Pats, GO PATS!

It would tell me that he plans on playing the 3-4 almost exclusively which makes sense anyway since Anderson and Bell have struggled against the 3-4.
:goodposting: Just saw this.
Is this supposed to be a surprise?They're going to get Colvin, McGinest, Vrabel and Bruschi on the field as much as possible.

I'll pick the Patriots to win this game. I think Belichick excels at gameplanning and adjusting to the point that he can take down a strong Broncos' club like this one. I wouldn't put these Broncos on the level of a juggernaut. I think Belichick's club this year is not strong enough for him to be expected to gameplan a win over a juggernaut. But I expect Belichick to get a win here.

Who's watching CBS?Shannon Sharpe, " You do what they do, and they do what you do." " I am picking the Broncos for that reason?"What is he talking about half the time?RAPTURE

It would tell me that he plans on playing the 3-4 almost exclusively which makes sense anyway since Anderson and Bell have struggled against the 3-4.
:goodposting: Just saw this.
Is this supposed to be a surprise?They're going to get Colvin, McGinest, Vrabel and Bruschi on the field as much as possible.
The Pats are known to mix things up shifting back and forth from the 3-4 to the 4-3 as much if not more than any other team. The key to that is that Seymour can play DT and DE at an All Pro level.The 3-4 is the preferred D against the Broncos because you want LB's out on the bootleg with Plummer and not DE's.

It is only a slight surprise because Bruschi was hurt last week. Only 5 DL would also bode well for Bruschi being pretty healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread