What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game Thread W11 - Minnesota V Tampa Bay (1 Viewer)

Childress did try to get a Q.B. He tampered with Favre. Oh I know he and Favre deny this as co-conspirators will, but he tried. He should have followed through.

I see where the NFL is going to address the steroid matter this week. If it goes poorly for the William's I believe this season can be packed away.

FunkyPlutos said:
I'm sure I'll get butchered for this, but I can't blame this one on Childress. They just got outplayed by the better team today. I still think that Jackson should be the starting QB. His scrambling will add a dimension to the offense and Frerotte hasn't played that good anyway. Hicks and Taylor fumbling are not the coaches fault - the play call to Taylor was not a bad play.
Best player on Offense is on the sideline on your last drive that could possibly win the game..... That about sums it up..

Someone mentioned bringing in Cassel next year. There was talk this morning on the radio about NE slapping the franchise tag on him.
They have until Feb. 2009 to decide. Unless Brady has a set back in his recovery, there is no way NE agree to pay Cassell Top 5 QB money to sit on the bench. With any luck Cassel and either Cowler or The NE Offensive Coordinator are on the Vikings Next year. ;)

Childress did try to get a Q.B. He tampered with Favre. Oh I know he and Favre deny this as co-conspirators will, but he tried. He should have followed through.

I see where the NFL is going to address the steroid matter this week. If it goes poorly for the William's I believe this season can be packed away.
I say pack it up.. With this Head coach and QB they are going to be Lucky to go .500 over the next 6 games.. :goodposting: :lmao: Childress if they go 8-8.. He has to be gone if that is their record doesn't he?? Way too high expectations going into this year, coupled with his "3 year plan" should have his bags packed before week 17...

I agree with the reaction on KFAN today (mainly Paul Allen). The timing when Childress decides to be creative (4th and 1) leaves a lot to be desired. I think it's horrible that he plays entire games so close to the vest that those few creative plays become make or break. It should be the other way around. Like others, I think the decision to exclude Adrian Peterson with the game on the line (3:20 left) is inexcusable and once again reeks of Childress hubris. He's just going to outsmart the world by not calling plays for his stud. That's particularly unforgiveable the very week after Peterson put this team on his back on a late 4th quarter drive, force feeding him the ball. The coaching staff doesn't deserve an Adrian Peterson.

One other thing worth mentioning, even though the team uncharacteristically did not give up a return TD, the fumbled return did us in. For the life of me I can't recall a special teams that was this bad... with the ungodly combination of not being able to stop anyone while offering virtually zero threat with our own return game. Just horrible.

Someone reported Cassell's agent is angling for the same type of contract Aaron Rodgers got. That guy is not worth anywhere near that. It would be nice if Minnesota could get a guy and have some success with him before he becomes overvalued.

I agree with the reaction on KFAN today (mainly Paul Allen). The timing when Childress decides to be creative (4th and 1) leaves a lot to be desired. I think it's horrible that he plays entire games so close to the vest that those few creative plays become make or break. It should be the other way around. Like others, I think the decision to exclude Adrian Peterson with the game on the line (3:20 left) is inexcusable and once again reeks of Childress hubris. He's just going to outsmart the world by not calling plays for his stud. That's particularly unforgiveable the very week after Peterson put this team on his back on a late 4th quarter drive, force feeding him the ball. The coaching staff doesn't deserve an Adrian Peterson.

One other thing worth mentioning, even though the team uncharacteristically did not give up a return TD, the fumbled return did us in. For the life of me I can't recall a special teams that was this bad... with the ungodly combination of not being able to stop anyone while offering virtually zero threat with our own return game. Just horrible.

Someone reported Cassell's agent is angling for the same type of contract Aaron Rodgers got. That guy is not worth anywhere near that. It would be nice if Minnesota could get a guy and have some success with him before he becomes overvalued.
from Peter king this morning:
Some clarity on the Matt Cassel free-agency situation: The Patriots have until Feb. 19 to determine whether to place the franchise tag on Cassel, whose contract expires after the season. That gives them three months from today to decide.

Write this down: The only way they'll tag Cassel is if Tom Brady's knee rehab takes a major turn for the worse, to the point the Pats don't feel confident Brady will be ready to start the 2009 season. That's it. Because the NFLPA won't allow teams to franchise players if they have no intention of keeping them, the Patriots won't be able to franchise Cassel if they intend to trade him. So, barring a Brady setback, expect Cassel to be a free-agent and end up making $9 million a year with (pick one) Minnesota, Detroit, San Francisco, St. Louis or whatever team Josh McDaniels coaches in 2009, should he be fortunate enough to get a head-coaching job.
Peter king Article

FunkyPlutos said:
I'm sure I'll get butchered for this, but I can't blame this one on Childress. They just got outplayed by the better team today. I still think that Jackson should be the starting QB. His scrambling will add a dimension to the offense and Frerotte hasn't played that good anyway. Hicks and Taylor fumbling are not the coaches fault - the play call to Taylor was not a bad play.
Best player on Offense is on the sideline on your last drive that could possibly win the game..... That about sums it up..
You can't blame this on Childress but I can. They were down by 1 score in the 4th quarter and they don't give Peterson 1 touch????? He proved last week that he can single handedly win a game for you but you choose to put the game in Gus's hands? What a dummy!

Some clarity on the Matt Cassel free-agency situation: The Patriots have until Feb. 19 to determine whether to place the franchise tag on Cassel, whose contract expires after the season. That gives them three months from today to decide.

Write this down: The only way they'll tag Cassel is if Tom Brady's knee rehab takes a major turn for the worse, to the point the Pats don't feel confident Brady will be ready to start the 2009 season. That's it. Because the NFLPA won't allow teams to franchise players if they have no intention of keeping them, the Patriots won't be able to franchise Cassel if they intend to trade him. So, barring a Brady setback, expect Cassel to be a free-agent and end up making $9 million a year with (pick one) Minnesota, Detroit, San Francisco, St. Louis or whatever team Josh McDaniels coaches in 2009, should he be fortunate enough to get a head-coaching job.
Peter king Article
Well gee whiz, I think it's just peachy that the Vikes are rumored to be a team willing to overpay a guy who has done little to prove anything other than he's no Tom Brady. Have you seen Cassell's attempts to hit the zip code surrounding Randy Moss on deep routes? I can think of few things that make me more :shrug: than the thought of paying a guy $9 million annually to dink and dunk for the next few years -when we're supposed to be trying to open up the offense to give a special RB more room to work.

Am I seeing things or a people here ready to bring in Matt Cassell and hand him the reigns? Seriously!?

If this is the guy the franchise pins their hopes to, I'll help pack the bags for L.A.

This team desperately needs a QB, RT and WR. Probably in that order.

Why in the hell is Bobby Wade even on this team, let alone starting in front of Sidney Rice and being targeted on 4th quarter deep balls? Let's see he's small, slow and has questionable hands. Who wouldn't want that? He got let go by WR juggernauts Chicago and Tennessee for #### sake!

I think Childress is adding reasons to his offseason pink slip weekly, but don't see him being ousted during the season.

Am I seeing things or a people here ready to bring in Matt Cassell and hand him the reigns? Seriously!?

If this is the guy the franchise pins their hopes to, I'll help pack the bags for L.A.

This team desperately needs a QB, RT and WR. Probably in that order.

Why in the hell is Bobby Wade even on this team, let alone starting in front of Sidney Rice and being targeted on 4th quarter deep balls? Let's see he's small, slow and has questionable hands. Who wouldn't want that? He got let go by WR juggernauts Chicago and Tennessee for #### sake!

I think Childress is adding reasons to his offseason pink slip weekly, but don't see him being ousted during the season.
Anything better out there?Derrick Anderson(Not a FA, but if Quinn keeps performing will probably be available for a 2nd rounder), Leftwich or status Quo?? As provided above

The only other one on that list that might be worthy of going after is Garcia if Tampa lets him go.

Looking at this team, and what should be available for a Starting QB's next year I don't see much better options. This team is a coach and a QB away, IMO, of making a serious run at the Super Bowl.

9 Mill is WAY too much for me.. but how about 4.5 with incentives??

Last edited by a moderator:
There are QBs at the Universities of Texas and Georgia who would be just an interesting as the cast offs out in FA. Lots of Rob Johnsons out there.

There are QBs at the Universities of Texas and Georgia who would be just an interesting as the cast offs out in FA. Lots of Rob Johnsons out there.
The NFC North is a mess and they have the team to win with the right QB and Coach.. Sure they should draft a QB, but that is for the future, they have the team now to win and getting a rookie / Project QB for a starting QB next year would be the wrong move IMO. Is the Cassel the answer?? :rolleyes: who knows but he sure looks better than TJ or Ferotte for next year IMO.

Can we still hold out hope that Arizona is too dumb to resign Kurt Warner?
:goodposting: QBs I prefer over Cassell:(1) Warner(2) D.Anderson was thrown under the bus this year, and Braylon did not help him with huge drops(3) McNabb is ready to be run out of Philly(4) Favre depending on his status with the Jets... did I read he is a FA next year?(5) Pennington may be available if Henne is ready(6) Garcia was rumored to be shopped last offseason(7) Losman(8) There are a few promising rookies in this class, my favorite being Graham Harrell (i.e. more like Matt Ryan than some ego stroking project such as Tarvaris).....(way down the list) Paying $9 million annually to Cassell

Sure they should draft a QB, but that is for the future, they have the team now to win and getting a rookie / Project QB for a starting QB next year would be the wrong move IMO.
I disagree with this to a point. Whether it is Matt Ryan or Flacco this year, Cutler in 2006, and arguably Quinn last year [had D.Anderson not exploded onto the scene], there are QBs in every class who stand above the projects and are ready to go with little development time. Roethlisberger is another good example, having led the Steelers to the NFL championship his rookie year, a year that he, E.Manning, P.Rivers and Losman were all arguably good enough to start out of the gate. The problem is the Vikes screwed themselves drafting a 3-year project guy in 2005, and I'll perpetuate the folklore and say this was all about stroking Childress "the genius McNabb developer"'s ego and it set the team back for years. Since then, they've failed to develop TJ and they've compounded the impact by choosing to surround him with horrible journeymen so as to not give him real competition and/or shield him from fans who might champion a legit backup. That's just not acceptable for an NFL team. The bad experience with Tarvaris could be impacting your valuation of rookie QBs. People should be learning from San Diego and Arizona, who took on a rookie with a viable backup in place.

Can we still hold out hope that Arizona is too dumb to resign Kurt Warner?
:lmao: QBs I prefer over Cassell:

(1) Warner I don't see the cards letting him go. But sure, if they release him :rant:

(2) D.Anderson was thrown under the bus this year, and Braylon did not help him with huge drops One year wonder??. Quinn looked better than Anderson in one game, with 3 days of practice.. We'll see if that was a fluke tonight. Just not sold on D. Anderson.. probably going to cost a 2nd rounder Plus 4+ Mill a year

(3) McNabb is ready to be run out of PhillyBeginning of this year I would have taken him for a 2nd rounder. But he is starting to look like his injuries are catching up with him and we've all seen what a Concrete shoe QB is like behind our Offensive Line

(4) Favre depending on his status with the Jets... did I read he is a FA next year?I believe he signed a 2 or 3 year deal

(5) Pennington may be available if Henne is readyAnd the complaint above of Dink & Dunk is right here. He'd cost 4+ a year also

(6) Garcia was rumored to be shopped last offseasonI agree, If tampa lets him go, this would be a top choice.. Big IF though.

(7) LosmanNot interested.. Never impressed me

(8) There are a few promising rookies in this class, my favorite being Graham Harrell (i.e. more like Matt Ryan than some ego stroking project such as Tarvaris)

(way down the list) Paying $9 million annually to Cassell
And on the last part I agree... He has 6 more games, plus possible playoffs to show if he is worth the cost or not. :rant: But if they could get him for say 4.5 Mil Plus Incentives, and he continues to play like the last couple weeks, would that change your mind??

Sure they should draft a QB, but that is for the future, they have the team now to win and getting a rookie / Project QB for a starting QB next year would be the wrong move IMO.
I disagree with this to a point. Whether it is Matt Ryan or Flacco this year, Cutler in 2006
Yea, there are always a few lucky ones. In this case, if they plan to draft a QB, than bring in McNabb or Garcia with the idea that they will be the starter at the beginning of the season.If the Rookie looks :eek: in training camp and/or pre-season than look to get him in. But we need something better than Ferrotte to "tutor" him.

(2) D.Anderson was thrown under the bus this year, and Braylon did not help him with huge drops One year wonder??. Quinn looked better than Anderson in one game, with 3 days of practice.. We'll see if that was a fluke tonight. Just not sold on D. Anderson.. probably going to cost a 2nd rounder Plus 4+ Mill a year
I can't disagree more. The only difference between Derek Anderson from 2007 and 2008 is that Braylon Edwards is dropping the balls he caught last year. In the one game that was not overwhelmed by Cleveland player mistakes, Derek Anderson had his best game against the champion Giants, handing them their only loss while passing for 310/2TDs/0 INTs. In fact, even during the Thursday Night Football game, the NFLN announcers made the point a few times that the things that did in Cleveland for Quinn were the same things that had done in Derek Anderson. If ever there was a guy to buy now for, it is Anderson.

I can't disagree more. The only difference between Derek Anderson from 2007 and 2008 is that Braylon Edwards is dropping the balls he caught last year. In the one game that was not overwhelmed by Cleveland player mistakes, Derek Anderson had his best game against the champion Giants, handing them their only loss while passing for 310/2TDs/0 INTs. In fact, even during the Thursday Night Football game, the NFLN announcers made the point a few times that the things that did in Cleveland for Quinn were the same things that had done in Derek Anderson. If ever there was a guy to buy now for, it is Anderson.
Question becomes.. Is he worth a 2nd rounder plus the big Money??The good thing is we have 6 games left to find out about Cassel.

My question is.

2nd rounder plus semi-big money for D. Anderson..

Or,

IF Cassel continues to improve, Big Money only ??

I just don't want to see us go into next year with Ferrotte, TJ, Booty and a exciting Rookie QB.

IF Cassel continues to show improvement I can't see any reason NOT to sign him to say a 4.5 Contract with incentives to 9.

Now would he take that deal? :popcorn: Who knows, but if his Offensive Coordinator became our coach or Cowler did, with our Defense and ADP it sure would be tempting.. especially when his other choice might be Detroit.

Question becomes.. Is he worth a 2nd rounder plus the big Money??
Is that relevant? Cleveland extended Anderson over the past off season and the contract included $14 million in guaranteed money. Presumably they paid the bulk of guaranteed money at contract signing as some sort of bonus. That's how it typically works anyway. I could be wrong, but I doubt they agreed to significant future guarantees when they had Quinn in waiting. On Cassell, I'm willing to reserve judgment for the final 6 games but its really a no win situation, whether he finishes pedestrian or great. If the team wins the SB, he'll get all the credit even though the team around him was widely considered "the best NFL team evah" just 10 months ago, and I'd want no part of that bidding war. If he finishes pedestrian, he'll still be credited for leading a great overall team to the playoffs, and be overpaid. He's a guy who is almost impossible to value/guage, given the team and system he's part of.

Cassel might as well have a stamp on his forehead that says "Right-handed Scott Mitchell." I have not been impressed and do not want him running the team. The list of FA QBs looks unimpressive, and I honestly do not know what the answer is, but I want them to do something. This is ugly and keeps getting uglier. I see 8-8 by the end of the season. I hope that isn't enough to keep Childress. I want to start over. Can I have the last three years of my life back please!

Question becomes.. Is he worth a 2nd rounder plus the big Money??The good thing is we have 6 games left to find out about Cassel.

My question is.

Or,

I just don't want to see us go into next year with Ferrotte, TJ, Booty and a exciting Rookie QB.

IF Cassel continues to show improvement I can't see any reason NOT to sign him to say a 4.5 Contract with incentives to 9.

Now would he take that deal? :shrug: Who knows, but if his Offensive Coordinator became our coach or Cowler did, with our Defense and ADP it sure would be tempting.. especially when his other choice might be Detroit.
With our Defense? I don't know about you, but this awesome Defense we were suppossed to have this year has not impressed me at all. Does the loss of E.J. hurt, yes, but the pressure has not been consistent. Packer game was great, but yesterday, nada. They let Garcia pick them apart yesterday. Besides Windield, do we have a corner? Sharper is all about big plays and turnovers and he has 0 ints. currently. I think Greenway and Leber have been good in the run game but are struggling in pass coverage. Overall, I give them a C-. Underachieving...which seems to be Frazier's MO.

My question is.

Or,

Now would he take that deal? :shrug: Who knows, but if his Offensive Coordinator became our coach or Cowler did, with our Defense and ADP it sure would be tempting.. especially when his other choice might be Detroit.
:bag: Are you saying our Defense isn't that good? :X

Get a replacement for Griffin and get a healthy Henderson back next year and we will be even better.

I'm still a fan of Jackson and think we would be a game or two better if we would have stuck with him. So, I guess I am upset with Childress - he should have stuck with Jackson.

My question is.

Or,

:thumbup: Are you saying our Defense isn't that good? :confused:

Get a replacement for Griffin and get a healthy Henderson back next year and we will be even better.
:bag: I accidently hit add reply before I typed in anything. Read my edited comments and get back to me. :bag:

Why would Cower come here? I just don't see him committing to coming here to coach the Vikings. Not enough control with the Rhombus of authority. Too many hands in the cookie jar. He will want control, and this won't be the place for that.

Why would Cower come here? I just don't see him committing to coming here to coach the Vikings. Not enough control with the Rhombus of authority. Too many hands in the cookie jar. He will want control, and this won't be the place for that.
Too much control by others?? Everything I've seen is they have given Childress free reigns and he has Failed.. They've opened the "purse strings" to sign players Chilly wanted and yet the team is no better now than it was under Tice. I'd argue to say Tice did more with less since McCombs refused to pay the money needed to win.

My question is.

Or,

Now would he take that deal? :hot: Who knows, but if his Offensive Coordinator became our coach or Cowler did, with our Defense and ADP it sure would be tempting.. especially when his other choice might be Detroit.
With our Defense? I don't know about you, but this awesome Defense we were suppossed to have this year has not impressed me at all. Does the loss of E.J. hurt, yes, but the pressure has not been consistent. Packer game was great, but yesterday, nada. They let Garcia pick them apart yesterday. Besides Windield, do we have a corner? Sharper is all about big plays and turnovers and he has 0 ints. currently. I think Greenway and Leber have been good in the run game but are struggling in pass coverage. Overall, I give them a C-. Underachieving...which seems to be Frazier's MO.
E. J. was the leader of the Defense.. Greenway had BIG shoes to fill and has done a very good job considering. They didn't get to Garcia mainly because Tampa had a GREAT plan.. They got Garcia out of the pocket, negating our inside rush.

I think there were very few LB blitzes called as the rushing ability of Garcia had them shadowing him more than attacking which was a mistake in coaching, not in talent IMO.

I truly believe if you get a CB to replace Griffin(?) and a safety the rest of the Defense is set, especially when EJ gets back next year.

Too much control by others?? Everything I've seen is they have given Childress free reigns and he has Failed.. They've opened the "purse strings" to sign players Chilly wanted and yet the team is no better now than it was under Tice. I'd argue to say Tice did more with less since McCombs refused to pay the money needed to win.
I agree with your Tice comments. Tice did do more with less...Speilman is running the personel, Studwell is doing the scouting, Rob B. (I am a terrible speller) is doing the salary cap. Even Mark Wylf seems to have his hand in the cookie jar. Childress will take the fall for this, and rightfully so for the decisions made on the field, but Cower wants front office control to bring in his guys and I do not think that will happen because the franchise preaches accountability and checks and balances.

My question is.

Or,

Now would he take that deal? :rolleyes: Who knows, but if his Offensive Coordinator became our coach or Cowler did, with our Defense and ADP it sure would be tempting.. especially when his other choice might be Detroit.
E. J. was the leader of the Defense.. Greenway had BIG shoes to fill and has done a very good job considering. They didn't get to Garcia mainly because Tampa had a GREAT plan.. They got Garcia out of the pocket, negating our inside rush.

I think there were very few LB blitzes called as the rushing ability of Garcia had them shadowing him more than attacking which was a mistake in coaching, not in talent IMO.

I truly believe if you get a CB to replace Griffin(?) and a safety the rest of the Defense is set, especially when EJ gets back next year, and Frazier is replaced as DC.
Fixed.

Biabreakable said:
Personel Aquisition and development - clearly it is his fault that he did not properly assess Jackson's readiness to start - He yanked Jackson by week 4??? How is that going to develop a young QB? If Jackson was not ready his answer is GUS!? Really botched this one. The Vikings need another cornerback also. We aquired 2 safeties but no corner? We have also grossly over paid for Berrian and the former Giants TE.
I agree with your first point about Childress unquestioning commitment to Jackson and Frerotte. The lack of scouting for an alternative quarterback burns me up. I, however, think it was absolutely necessary for the Vikings to overpay for Berrian. The year prior, the Vikings attempted to pay market value for Kevin Curtis and lost him to Philadelphia. The rumor was that the Vikings offer him a better contract but Curtis preferred to play for a team that was a clear contender. This year Berrian was clearly the best WR available on the market. If the Vikings didn’t pay him the Raiders would have. Obviously, it is a lot cheaper getting a wide out in free agency than by trade. The Detroit/Dallas trade for Roy Williams proves that. There was a lot of love sent out by the Vikings’ faithful for DJ Hackett, Javon Walker and Bryant Johnson but these guys have been virtually non-existent for their respective teams. You may not like Berrian but I don’t think the Vikings get wins over New Orleans and Detroit without him. I don't blame Berrian when Childress or Frerotte don't include him in the game plan.

The least impressive aspect of the Vikings is there special teams. I know they have been rocked by injuries but the adjustments have not been made especially in the personnel department. Not only are they horrible at covering kicks but they are not threat to score on any of their returns. Hicks has no moves in arsenal. Straight into his blocking line every time. I thought he was a liability long before his fumble today.
Good point about the special teams. Which honestly is mostly about coaching. There are always players who may not be good enough to get many snaps on offense or defense but are ST aces. Chris Walsh is a good example from recently. Decent coaching can find and develop these players. But we are not doing a good job in this aspect of our team and that is all about coaching. There have been at least 2 games that we would have won this year by not giving up special teams TD's. Not to mention how a better return game would help our defense and our offense.As far as Berrian goes I hear what you are saying and we did need a WR. I would like to see more development and opportunity for Alision. Since we do not have a capable QB or a game plan that establishes the run and lets the QB take advantage of play action (which makes absolutly no sense) we are not seeing Berrians full potential. I know he has also had injury issues. So maybe that wasn't a total waste of cash but we are not getting our moneys worth out of him because of the other 2 issues (besides injury).

I sure hope Childress is fired. I gave him a chance during the 1st 2 seasons he was here also. I do like the moves to improve the defense the Oline and the running game. That is what makes the play calling so confusing. They should be coming out of the gate running the ball period. You don't catch the other team off guard with a bomb until you can get them on guard against the run. I see no reason to not use AD and Chester in succession and stick with it. Sure it may lead to long yardage situations some times but that is how the team is built and that is our strength. USE IT. And don't worry about the RBs getting tired. We have 2 VERY GOOD rbs for a reason. But there is no reason if we don't use them enough.

It has been so long since we have had a decent coach I almost want Jerry Burns back.

The NFC North is a mess and they have the team to win with the right QB and Coach.. Sure they should draft a QB, but that is for the future, they have the team now to win and getting a rookie / Project QB for a starting QB next year would be the wrong move IMO. Is the Cassel the answer?? :pickle: who knows but he sure looks better than TJ or Ferotte for next year IMO.
Listen, I didn't think Matt Ryan would be as good as he is this fast. I didn't think Flacco would be good period. As these guys play in college systems that are increasingly complex and require good reads, I think the transition for the good ones will be shorter. At this point I'd rather roll the dice on the potential of the unknown that the retread.

Users who are viewing this thread