What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game Thread W16 - Pittsburgh V Cleveland (2 Viewers)

Looks like another donut out of Hines Ward this week. He is no longer part of the Steeler offensive scheme anymore.

LOL, looks like it might be another week where Ben puts up a great 1st half, passes very little in the 2nd half, and people say he's just a game manager because his numbers don't blow people away!He's passed for about 120 yards and a TD in the 1st quarter, and his passes look sharp. This is the best he's looked (accuracy-wise) since he returned from the knee injury.

LOL, looks like it might be another week where Ben puts up a great 1st half, passes very little in the 2nd half, and people say he's just a game manager because his numbers don't blow people away!

He's passed for about 120 yards and a TD in the 1st quarter, and his passes look sharp. This is the best he's looked (accuracy-wise) since he returned from the knee injury.
Ben is looking amazing today. 7/8 162 and a TD in the 1st quarter.

Last edited by a moderator:
It astounds me how you homers continually discount your own defense and running game.
:lmao: It astounds me how people can not ackowledge how good Ben really is, and how good his numbers would be if he HAD to pass a lot.

The running game isn't feared this year like it has been in during past years, and frankly, it's not as good this year.

Ben's thumb is clearly limiting how far downfield he can throw it, but it doesn't seem to have any impact on his short and mid range throws.

8-9-166-1 already.

If I heard it once this year I heard it 1000 times.The stated goal of the Cleveland Browns in 2005 was to win at least one more game than last year. They won 4 games last year. The win over the Raiders was their 5th, meeting their goal. So perhaps the Browns, now having achieved that goal, are just quitting on the season.

It astounds me how you homers continually discount your own defense and running game.
:lmao: It astounds me how people can not ackowledge how good Ben really is, and how good his numbers would be if he HAD to pass a lot.

The running game isn't feared this year like it has been in during past years, and frankly, it's not as good this year.

Ben's thumb is clearly limiting how far downfield he can throw it, but it doesn't seem to have any impact on his short and mid range throws.

8-9-166-1 already.
It astounds me that you even felt the need to justify yourself here. :D

LOL, looks like it might be another week where Ben puts up a great 1st half, passes very little in the 2nd half, and people say he's just a game manager because his numbers don't blow people away!

He's passed for about 120 yards and a TD in the 1st quarter, and his passes look sharp. This is the best he's looked (accuracy-wise) since he returned from the knee injury.
But that is pretty much the knock on Cowher-era Steelers. Too often they play this conservative style in the regular season where they close up their offense with a lead. That means Cowher-era Steelers are not prepared for the playoffs, where you aren't in that situation. In the playoffs, you've got to fight hard every week. You've got to win coming from behind. We've all seen Cowher horribly mismanage the clock in the playoffs where he's down late in the game and his team mosies up to the LOS and perfectly exectues a 5-yard running play with the clock running out.

8-9-166-1 already.
Ben is a very good QB. Noone denies that. But you act like the Steelers have suddenly become a pass first team, and everything revolves around him. This will never, ever happen as long as Cowher is there. Ben is very efficient, but the philosophy is, and always has been, run first, safe passing, play great defense. You have no idea how Ben would perform in a heavy passing offense because he has never had to do it. Saying Ben is a very good QB is fine, but the hyperbole is annoying.

He's passed for about 120 yards and a TD in the 1st quarter, and his passes look sharp.  This is the best he's looked (accuracy-wise) since he returned from the knee injury.
But that is pretty much the knock on Cowher-era Steelers. Too often they play this conservative style in the regular season where they close up their offense with a lead. That means Cowher-era Steelers are not prepared for the playoffs, where you aren't in that situation. In the playoffs, you've got to fight hard every week. You've got to win coming from behind. We've all seen Cowher horribly mismanage the clock in the playoffs where he's down late in the game and his team mosies up to the LOS and perfectly exectues a 5-yard running play with the clock running out.
There's a reason Cowher is something like 98-1-1 when his team has a 10 point lead at any point in a game. Knock him for that all you want. It's not his fault that his teams have found themselves with big leads in the 2nd halves of games... is he supposed to play closer games on purpose just to get his team used to it? And the biggest knock on Cowher in the post-season is that he's gotten AWAY from the running game too early in the playoffs, not that he's gotten too conservative. His playoff losses have had much, much, MUCH more to do with mistakes by his QBs than anything else. Well, and special teams from 2001.

O'Donnell in SB XXX, Stewart in the AFCC vs Denver and New England, and Roethlisberger as a rookie last year. Cowher's taken way too much heat for things like that over the years, but I'd expect nothing else from you BGP.

8-9-166-1 already.
Ben is a very good QB. Noone denies that. But you act like the Steelers have suddenly become a pass first team, and everything revolves around him. This will never, ever happen as long as Cowher is there. Ben is very efficient, but the philosophy is, and always has been, run first, safe passing, play great defense. You have no idea how Ben would perform in a heavy passing offense because he has never had to do it. Saying Ben is a very good QB is fine, but the hyperbole is annoying.
Wrong. People call him a game-manager, and that only comes from people who don't watch him and only look at numbers.ALL QBs benefit when they have a good defense and/or running game. Ben is no different. But the offense DOES revolve around Ben's talents, and if you spend enough time watching the Steelers, you'd see why. The running game only works when the QB can keep the defense honest because the OL isn't as dominating as it once was.

In games where the Steelers take big leads early, a lot of the time it's because Ben has put up a great 1st half throwing the ball. He takes it easy in the 2nd half while the running game takes over, and people say he just rode his running game and defense to a win. In reality, it's BS.

8-9-166-1 already.
Wrong. People call him a game-manager, and that only comes from people who don't watch him and only look at numbers.ALL QBs benefit when they have a good defense and/or running game. Ben is no different. But the offense DOES revolve around Ben's talents, and if you spend enough time watching the Steelers, you'd see why. The running game only works when the QB can keep the defense honest because the OL isn't as dominating as it once was.

In games where the Steelers take big leads early, a lot of the time it's because Ben has put up a great 1st half throwing the ball. He takes it easy in the 2nd half while the running game takes over, and people say he just rode his running game and defense to a win. In reality, it's BS.
Right, because the defense has nothing to do with them building a lead.

He's passed for about 120 yards and a TD in the 1st quarter, and his passes look sharp.  This is the best he's looked (accuracy-wise) since he returned from the knee injury.
There's a reason Cowher is something like 98-1-1 when his team has a 10 point lead at any point in a game. Knock him for that all you want. It's not his fault that his teams have found themselves with big leads in the 2nd halves of games... is he supposed to play closer games on purpose just to get his team used to it? And the biggest knock on Cowher in the post-season is that he's gotten AWAY from the running game too early in the playoffs, not that he's gotten too conservative. His playoff losses have had much, much, MUCH more to do with mistakes by his QBs than anything else. Well, and special teams from 2001.

O'Donnell in SB XXX, Stewart in the AFCC vs Denver and New England, and Roethlisberger as a rookie last year. Cowher's taken way too much heat for things like that over the years, but I'd expect nothing else from you BGP.
Sometimes, there's really no point in trying to hold an intelligent discussion around here. People just go immediately to personal attacks on fellow posters. I have my critique of Cowher. His playoff record stinks. Nowhere did I say he sucked when he had a lead. I specifically talked about when he was behind, But all of that gets ignored and someone launches into personal attacks. Bleh.If I am critical of Cowher, people say its because I'm a Steelers fan. If I am also critical of my Browns, then people say I'm bitter. What we need is people who actually want to discuss football. If you want to play games, go somewhere else.

8-9-166-1 already.

Right, because the defense has nothing to do with them building a lead.
Of course it does. But the offense has to score points for the team to get a big lead. It's not always the running game, and a lot of times, it's Ben's arm early in the game.I really don't expect people who don't watch the Steelers to realize it though.

Sometimes, there's really no point in trying to hold an intelligent discussion around here. People just go immediately to personal attacks on fellow posters. I have my critique of Cowher. His playoff record stinks. Nowhere did I say he sucked when he had a lead. I specifically talked about when he was behind, But all of that gets ignored and someone launches into personal attacks. Bleh.If I am critical of Cowher, people say its because I'm a Steelers fan. If I am also critical of my Browns, then people say I'm bitter. What we need is people who actually want to discuss football. If you want to play games, go somewhere else.
What I meant by that, BGP, is that anytime there's a thread about the Steelers around here, you chime in with some sort of anti-Cowher remark. That's not a personal attack at all. You said Cowher's teams aren't prepared for the playoffs because they get conservative with leads in the regular season. That's to be expected, and he's not going to coach so that games are closer just to prepare for the playoffs. At no point in his entire coaching career has he had a QB who can make plays with his arm if the running game isn't working... until now. Ben wasn't ready to do that last year, but he's far better this year.

And his playoff record doesn't stink at all when he's gotten to 5 AFC Championships and 1 Super Bowl in barely over a decade, never going more than 4 years between appearances. That's impressive no matter how you cut it. The losses in those games can be attributed to a lot of things, and he's not blameless. However, he takes a helluva lot more blame than he deserves.

NiiiiceSo, the leading rusher during most fantasy championship weeks is Fast Willie Parker? The same guy a majority of "sharks" thought would break down when he lost 5 pounds back in October? :lmao:

Niiiice

So, the leading rusher during most fantasy championship weeks is Fast Willie Parker? The same guy a majority of "sharks" thought would break down when he lost 5 pounds back in October?

:lmao:
With the Steelers' style of play, he probably would have had he carried the load all year like he did the first two weeks. That became a story after week 2, and I really don't think it was blown out of proportion.Since week 2, he's missed 1 game and gotten 20 carries in a game only twice. He's only gotten more than 15 carries in a game 5 times since week 2, also.

He has 212 carries coming into today, and I think the Steelers utilized him very well this year based on the injuries and ages of Bettis and Duce.

Niiiice

So, the leading rusher during most fantasy championship weeks is Fast Willie Parker? The same guy a majority of "sharks" thought would break down when he lost 5 pounds back in October?

:lmao:
you mean Julius Jones?

Was Cleveland playing to not score? I was tracking the game a bit on Sportsline and the Browns went for a few 4th and 12 when they were in field goal range. Why didn't they try and get some points on the board?Edited to add I played against the Pitt D and they get Big points for the shutout, so I'm pissed Cleveland didn't at least get 3.

Last edited by a moderator:

And as a Browns fan you have all this experience and knowledge about winning in the playoffs that you want to share it with us Steeler fans? :rolleyes:

Was Cleveland playing to not score? I was tracking the game a bit on Sportsline and the Browns went for a few 4th and 12 when they were in field goal range. Why didn't they try and get some points on the board?

Edited to add I played against the Pitt D and they get Big points for the shutout, so I'm pissed Cleveland didn't at least get 3.
When you're down by 27, 3 points won't help you. They did the only thing they could to try and get back into the game, as unlikely as that may have been.

Article from a Browns site.I can just picture this guy punding furiously away at his keyboard until his fingers are bloody stumps and veins are burtsing in his forehead:http://browns.scout.com/2/482629.html

Get it Now?By Art BietzDate: Dec 26, 2005Art Bietz tries to explain Steelers Week to the Cleveland Browns organization... NOTE: The views expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Bernie Kosar or the staff of BerniesInsiders.com, except for that one guy.It was early in the fourth quarter when the fan ran out onto the field. I doubt that it's coincidental that this is after the beer concessions shut down.At first, I just thought he was trying to escape the pain. By that point, exiting in handcuffs was the easiest way to leave the Stadium. The escalators were surely clogged by that time with Browns fans fleeing for their lives.For all his logistical innovation, the fan got ingloriously dumped on his keister by Steelers linebacker James Harrison, using the weak excuse that the guy could have had "anything" on him.Sure, whatever. He was probably packing a heat-seeking missile. Mr. Harrison seems unfamiliar with the frisking and anal probes which precede getting into a Browns game. The worst possible thing that Browns fan could have had on him was a paperback book.Granted, that's probably more frightening to the average Steeler player than a bazooka.What's worse, the fan was completely unprepared to do anything with his luck in evading security. He didn't even take advantage of his narrow window of opportunity to moon Bill Cowher or perform some other sort of useful function. Nope. Our Browns fan merely ran out on to the field, acted kind of stupid, and got tossed onto his ###. Although, admittedly, the episode did serve as a pretty succinct summary of the Browns performance up to that point.Up in the stands, Steeler fans twirled their little towels - a rare interaction with anything toiletry-related for most of them - and cheered and taunted Browns fans with impunity.The visiting team, even dropmaster Quincy Morgan, had ample opportunity to preen and pose in front of the Cleveland Browns Stadium seats, which had been vacated by the Browns faithful earlier in the day.The Steelers laughed and laughed. In our house. With no fear.- - -Some people understand what Steelers week is about, and some people don't. Unfortunately, the Browns organization is largely run by people who don't appear to get it. Let's break it down, shall we?Romeo Crennel Doesn't Get It: You don't give your players days off on Steelers week. If anything you work every day that week, and put tiny hermit crabs in your players' sneakers to constantly pinch toes and ensure a really bad mood by gametime. Two days off on a short week? For the Steelers? What were you thinking?Randy Lerner Doesn't Get It: The team's owner thinks he does, but he doesn't. Randy, I know your Dad wanted to run a class organization, but you don't have valet service on Steelers week. Maybe you should put those players and their families out in the Muni lot. Make them face Browns fans after the game and explain why ticket prices went up this off-season.It's hard to be accountable when Jeeves is polishing your Hummer 3 in the Fortress of Solitude. "Yes, Jeeves, we lost this week. Bloody bad luck. Well, I'm off to pick up my check. Cheerio!"Our players and organization, in the wise words of WWE and XFL impressario Vince McMahon, "need to smell the street". All they get is the smell of perfumed linen.Myron Cope Gets It. Lew Merletti Doesn't: The Stadium staff will make you turn your T-shirt inside out if it offers, with all truth and candor, some very basic facts about Pittsburgh. And they sure won't let you bring in a big dawg bone if it looks like you could club someone with it.On the other hand, there's no problem at all with Steeler fans bringing in disease-ridden crusty bathtowels so they can swing them around like bacteria-infected maces. The tradition of Steeler fans flinging around absorbent cloth was started by a weasel-voiced homer of an announcer who hated the Browns. He got it. You don't.Want to make the stadium safer? Stop those obnoxious blotters of Steelerfan fluids at the door.Browns Players Don't Get It: Guys, playing the Steelers isn't like going off to Oakland and playing the Raiders. By now, the Raiders are rolling over on their backs because they're hoping you will scratch their tummies. These are the Pittsburgh freaking Steelers. They're coming here to kick your butt. They want to hit you, and hurt you, and humiliate you. If you let them, they will just humiliate you more and hit you harder. They won't let up, and they won't have mercy. The hardest hits were late in the fourth quarter. The more tired you are, the more they want to drive you into the turf. They want to embarrass you in your house, and they did.John Lott Doesn't Get It: Seriously, what's with all the coddling? Go ahead and put pieces of glass in the Gatorade, John. When the players find them, they don't pick them out - they're supposed to chew them up and swallow them, because it's freaking Steelers week and that's what insane people with good medical plans do. Stop treating the meatheads so well, and hit them with sticks until they're mean. Because it's Steelers week, and we needed mean. We got meek.Bill Cowher Gets it: The score is 27-0 and this insanely chinned tornado of spittle is arguing with officials and challenging calls. The Steelers head coach had the game well in hand, but he didn't care. He wanted more. He knows he's playing the Browns and the point isn't just to win. It's to crush, destroy, and leave behind a blackened ruin. That's exactly what he did.Ebay Ticket Sellers Don't Get It: Who the heck is selling or giving away their tickets to these Steeler fans? They're everywhere - the club seats, the end zones, the upper deck, the lower deck - infesting the Stadium like zebra mussels, only smellier when wet. Folks, if you're going to turn your back on the team, you would do more good to shred or burn your tickets than sell them to a Steeler fan. That doesn't teach the team a lesson - it merely creates an annoyance for fellow Browns fans and a serious threat to the overall level of local hygiene.- - -In all seriousness, the Browns organization needs to figure out Steeler week, and fast.The Browns didn't just embarrass themselves on Saturday, they embarrassed the fans and anyone who has invested trust in this team. The day before Christmas was an exercise in humiliation for anyone who has given their heart over to this franchise.The fans have had enough of this. The still-massive community of Browns fans is shrinking by the week.After all, who wants to spend Christmas Eve being taunted in your own Stadium? Self-flagellation went out after the Middle Ages.The Browns organization is represented mostly these days to fans as a big ball of advertising, team-owned media, corporate sponsorships, and bad football.My daughter, whose disdain for football had been put on hold to attend this special game with her family, had the best line of the day. "Dad", she told me, "My neck hurts from hanging my head in shame".It's a funny line, but I'm guessing I won't be able to get her back for many more games. Not even gallows humor can save the team from the apathy that's coming unless this boat turns around. Those desperate commercials for seats and loges which hit the television this year are just a glimpse of the future.Randy, Romeo, and Phil, after what you put us all through on Saturday, you can't expect your honeymoon to get extended much longer. Your predecessors used up most of the patience, and you're stuck.Fans aren't in a mood to put up with much more of this. Saturday was more than a bad game - it was a humiliating and negative experience for anyone who attended.Get better, or get bent. Either show us you care, or give the team to people who do.- AB
:hophead: :rant: :cry: :angry: :towelwave: :own3d:

Article from a Browns site.

I can just picture this guy punding furiously away at his keyboard until his fingers are bloody stumps and veins are burtsing in his forehead:

http://browns.scout.com/2/482629.html

Get it Now?

By Art Bietz

Date: Dec 26, 2005

Art Bietz tries to explain Steelers Week to the Cleveland Browns organization... NOTE: The views expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Bernie Kosar or the staff of BerniesInsiders.com, except for that one guy.

It was early in the fourth quarter when the fan ran out onto the field. I doubt that it's coincidental that this is after the beer concessions shut down.

At first, I just thought he was trying to escape the pain. By that point, exiting in handcuffs was the easiest way to leave the Stadium. The escalators were surely clogged by that time with Browns fans fleeing for their lives.

For all his logistical innovation, the fan got ingloriously dumped on his keister by Steelers linebacker James Harrison, using the weak excuse that the guy could have had "anything" on him.

Sure, whatever. He was probably packing a heat-seeking missile. Mr. Harrison seems unfamiliar with the frisking and anal probes which precede getting into a Browns game. The worst possible thing that Browns fan could have had on him was a paperback book.

Granted, that's probably more frightening to the average Steeler player than a bazooka.

What's worse, the fan was completely unprepared to do anything with his luck in evading security. He didn't even take advantage of his narrow window of opportunity to moon Bill Cowher or perform some other sort of useful function.

Nope. Our Browns fan merely ran out on to the field, acted kind of stupid, and got tossed onto his ###. Although, admittedly, the episode did serve as a pretty succinct summary of the Browns performance up to that point.

Up in the stands, Steeler fans twirled their little towels - a rare interaction with anything toiletry-related for most of them - and cheered and taunted Browns fans with impunity.

The visiting team, even dropmaster Quincy Morgan, had ample opportunity to preen and pose in front of the Cleveland Browns Stadium seats, which had been vacated by the Browns faithful earlier in the day.

The Steelers laughed and laughed. In our house. With no fear.

- - -

Some people understand what Steelers week is about, and some people don't. Unfortunately, the Browns organization is largely run by people who don't appear to get it. Let's break it down, shall we?

Romeo Crennel Doesn't Get It: You don't give your players days off on Steelers week. If anything you work every day that week, and put tiny hermit crabs in your players' sneakers to constantly pinch toes and ensure a really bad mood by gametime. Two days off on a short week? For the Steelers? What were you thinking?

Randy Lerner Doesn't Get It: The team's owner thinks he does, but he doesn't. Randy, I know your Dad wanted to run a class organization, but you don't have valet service on Steelers week. Maybe you should put those players and their families out in the Muni lot. Make them face Browns fans after the game and explain why ticket prices went up this off-season.

It's hard to be accountable when Jeeves is polishing your Hummer 3 in the Fortress of Solitude. "Yes, Jeeves, we lost this week. Bloody bad luck. Well, I'm off to pick up my check. Cheerio!"

Our players and organization, in the wise words of WWE and XFL impressario Vince McMahon, "need to smell the street". All they get is the smell of perfumed linen.

Myron Cope Gets It. Lew Merletti Doesn't: The Stadium staff will make you turn your T-shirt inside out if it offers, with all truth and candor, some very basic facts about Pittsburgh. And they sure won't let you bring in a big dawg bone if it looks like you could club someone with it.

On the other hand, there's no problem at all with Steeler fans bringing in disease-ridden crusty bathtowels so they can swing them around like bacteria-infected maces. The tradition of Steeler fans flinging around absorbent cloth was started by a weasel-voiced homer of an announcer who hated the Browns. He got it. You don't.

Want to make the stadium safer? Stop those obnoxious blotters of Steelerfan fluids at the door.

Browns Players Don't Get It: Guys, playing the Steelers isn't like going off to Oakland and playing the Raiders. By now, the Raiders are rolling over on their backs because they're hoping you will scratch their tummies. These are the Pittsburgh freaking Steelers. They're coming here to kick your butt. They want to hit you, and hurt you, and humiliate you. If you let them, they will just humiliate you more and hit you harder. They won't let up, and they won't have mercy. The hardest hits were late in the fourth quarter. The more tired you are, the more they want to drive you into the turf. They want to embarrass you in your house, and they did.

John Lott Doesn't Get It: Seriously, what's with all the coddling? Go ahead and put pieces of glass in the Gatorade, John. When the players find them, they don't pick them out - they're supposed to chew them up and swallow them, because it's freaking Steelers week and that's what insane people with good medical plans do. Stop treating the meatheads so well, and hit them with sticks until they're mean. Because it's Steelers week, and we needed mean. We got meek.

Bill Cowher Gets it: The score is 27-0 and this insanely chinned tornado of spittle is arguing with officials and challenging calls. The Steelers head coach had the game well in hand, but he didn't care. He wanted more. He knows he's playing the Browns and the point isn't just to win. It's to crush, destroy, and leave behind a blackened ruin. That's exactly what he did.

Ebay Ticket Sellers Don't Get It: Who the heck is selling or giving away their tickets to these Steeler fans? They're everywhere - the club seats, the end zones, the upper deck, the lower deck - infesting the Stadium like zebra mussels, only smellier when wet. Folks, if you're going to turn your back on the team, you would do more good to shred or burn your tickets than sell them to a Steeler fan. That doesn't teach the team a lesson - it merely creates an annoyance for fellow Browns fans and a serious threat to the overall level of local hygiene.

- - -

In all seriousness, the Browns organization needs to figure out Steeler week, and fast.

The Browns didn't just embarrass themselves on Saturday, they embarrassed the fans and anyone who has invested trust in this team. The day before Christmas was an exercise in humiliation for anyone who has given their heart over to this franchise.

The fans have had enough of this. The still-massive community of Browns fans is shrinking by the week.

After all, who wants to spend Christmas Eve being taunted in your own Stadium? Self-flagellation went out after the Middle Ages.

The Browns organization is represented mostly these days to fans as a big ball of advertising, team-owned media, corporate sponsorships, and bad football.

My daughter, whose disdain for football had been put on hold to attend this special game with her family, had the best line of the day. "Dad", she told me, "My neck hurts from hanging my head in shame".

It's a funny line, but I'm guessing I won't be able to get her back for many more games. Not even gallows humor can save the team from the apathy that's coming unless this boat turns around. Those desperate commercials for seats and loges which hit the television this year are just a glimpse of the future.

Randy, Romeo, and Phil, after what you put us all through on Saturday, you can't expect your honeymoon to get extended much longer. Your predecessors used up most of the patience, and you're stuck.

Fans aren't in a mood to put up with much more of this. Saturday was more than a bad game - it was a humiliating and negative experience for anyone who attended.

Get better, or get bent. Either show us you care, or give the team to people who do.

- AB
:hophead: :rant: :cry: :angry: :towelwave: :own3d:
The author of this article doesn't get it. Someone should tell him that there is no crying in football. :shock: :cry: :towelwave:

Users who are viewing this thread