What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Garrett will NOT be calling plays for Cowboys this year...impact? (1 Viewer)

Shutout

Footballguy
From Roto:

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones finally confirmed Tuesday that he's stripped coach Jason Garrett of play-calling duties, and that OC Bill Callahan will call plays this season.

Impact on Romo, Dez, Witten, Etc?

The impact is HILARITY!!!

Jerry Jones stepped into Al Davis' role as crazy person so seamlessly...it's like it was planned. It was planned UNLIKE how this announcement came out. This should be the funniest Cowboys season yet.

"Jason, I don't want to look bad so here's what we're going to do. I won't fire you and you're going to collect $3m to just stand there and look like you're running something. Deal?"

Expect a LOT of interceptions and an 8-8 record or worse. The defense will be put in horrible situations time and time again because of the huge risk Callahan will take and not having a concept of how the offenseive play calling affects the entire team and the game. So nothing different from what Cowboys fans have become accustomed to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Expect a LOT of interceptions and an 8-8 record or worse. The defense will be put in horrible situations time and time again because of the huge risk Callahan will take and not having a concept of how the offenseive play calling affects the entire team and the game. So nothing different from what Cowboys fans have become accustomed to.
I am very much not a Callahan supporter. The Cowboys though have way better weapons to take risks than those Raiders did.

Let's not forget it'll be Jason managing the team and game planning and everything else.

Romo is a dunderhead when a big game is on the line. I wonder if these risks might help him with his nerves.

I really really like the idea of a Garrett offense with someone else calling the plays. Jason designs a good O and the Boys have talent. We're gonna risk it and heave one up for Bryant instead of running for it on 3rd and 1. I'm so fine with that; it's exciting even.

I think Callahan will do well and then become reckless and seem like his choices are nonsense. In the beginning though, I bet this is fun to watch.

Garrett will be pissed.

And when Bill Callahan fails, Garrett can take over again.

With luck both will get fired

This isn't new. Play calling ability was already taken away from him last year.
Am I wrong on this?
Garrett called the plays last season and has for the last 6 years.

What some people are forgetting is that when Callahan was hired before last season as OC as well as OL coach, there were comments from Garrett to the effect that they would give Callahan a year to learn the system and then give him more responsibility including calling plays. It had been recognized that Garrett was trying to do too much on game day and that change would/should help with game management issues. Well, here we are a year later, and he's getting additional responsibility.

Now, you can argue that the manner in which it was announced was ridiculous. I'm with you there. But such as it is.

But what about impact? Jason Witten on twitter today or yesterday said paraphrasing, "its the exact same offense, just a different play caller. No big deal at all." So in one sense, the impact is minimal as Romo ultimately chooses whether to audible out or not, something he does regularly.

Last year was Dallas' most imbalanced in its history as far as run/pass balance was concerned. They have not been able to run effectively in short yardage or otherwise in several years. They were behind in a majority of their games early and often last year which further skewed the run/pass mix.

To me, the bigger impact will be the personnel changes, especially on the OL. With the drafting of Frederick, Dallas now has a center that won't get ragdolled on a consistent basis as has happened since Gurode moved on. There is (hopefully) improved health of vet guards and development of younger OL. Tyron Smith has some major off field distractions behind him now. There is a very real chance that the OL will be materially improved. If that is the case, then Dallas should have better run/pass balance and may be able to score more by run. Other personnel changes may also impact things. Miles Austin may have finally gotten his hamstring problems resolved. Dallas used 2nd and 3rd round picks on TE and WR plus development of existing WR3 and TE2. Not to mention Dez's continued development. These could all lead to a more diversified and higher scoring offense.

Bottom line: Issues other than the play caller will have a bigger impact on Dallas next year.

Users who are viewing this thread