What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gary Payton goes to Lakers (1 Viewer)

GB the Lakers, taking the Official New York Mets fast-track to complete discombobulation.

Go ahead and engrave the trophy now.......Lake show in '04GYEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Didn't you say the same thing last year? About a hundred times? Correct me if I'm wrong.What's the over/under on the amount of fist fights between Kobe and Gary? I don't think those two egos can exist in the same state, much less the same team.

Go ahead and engrave the trophy now.......Lake show in '04GYEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Didn't you say the same thing last year? About a hundred times? Correct me if I'm wrong.What's the over/under on the amount of fist fights between Kobe and Gary? I don't think those two egos can exist in the same state, much less the same team.
lol and they want to add Karl Malone :rotflmao:

lol and they want to add Karl Malone :rotflmao:
That makes me smile. lol

the gloooove!the mailman will be next as he'll take the minimum to get his bling.sorry laker haters. it's going to be a long 2003-2004 season for you.

the gloooove!the mailman will be next as he'll take the minimum to get his bling.sorry laker haters. it's going to be a long 2003-2004 season for you.
So is this going to be an NBA team, or a Ringling Bros. reunion tour? Either way, I praying to God (as we speak) that Malone signs with Lakers. There will be more pouting on the LA bench than a two year daycare.

Great signing by LA. IF they also add Malone, I'll think of them as the favorites. The favorites......... UNTIL SA uses that cap space. If SA uses their cap space wisely, they are still my favorites to win the title. Of course, SAC is not far behind if they can stay healthy for a season but that is much less likely than SA using it's cap space wisely.

Come on guys. Don't you know that Zippy started the "Official" thread. :rolleyes: Woops, looks like I just bumped this one to the top of the page. :thumbup:

I praying to God (as we speak) that Malone signs with Lakers
I'm with you. High comedy, especially come playoff time (if they squeak in). Heavenly Father/Lord Jesus/Allahu-Akbar/Dear Santa, Please send the Mailman to the freakshow in LA. Blessed art thou, Amen, gllll peas.

Bring Malone to LA.He'll be a great fit in the triangle. He'll knock down baseline jumpers all day....No more 2-on-5 at the offensive end Laker haters....

Last edited by a moderator:
So is this going to be an NBA team, or a Ringling Bros. reunion tour? Either way, I praying to God (as we speak) that Malone signs with Lakers. There will be more pouting on the LA bench than a two year daycare.
who's going to be on the bench pouting that anyone cares about?starting lineup:C: Shaq DaddyF: The MailmanF: Kobe (or possibly George)G: Kobe (or possibly Fisher)G: The GloveWith Fox gone most likely the entire season George will see more minutes than he typically would anyway, with Fisher getting about the same as they rotate Kobe, George, Fisher, and Payton through the 2 G spots and the SF spot.Cook and Walton might come off the bench to spell Malone and/or the SF spot, but really, Jackson prefers a small rotation of players and only had to expand last year due to the horrible play of his bench players, many of whom will be gone next year (Madsen, Walker, Horry, Shaw, and possibly Medvedenko).The main difference between the Blazers and the Lakers is that the Blazers' coach cannot control his players. Jackson has proven to control Kobe and Shaq and get them to work together for 3 rings in 4 years, even when they obviously do not like each other.

The main difference between the Blazers and the Lakers is that the Blazers' coach cannot control his players. Jackson has proven to control Kobe and Shaq and get them to work together for 3 rings in 4 years, even when they obviously do not like each other.
Yeah, but I think even you can agree that it will take a small miracle to control four raging egos instead of two. I think you may be forgetting the Payton legacy.Phil Jackson does not equal Jesus Christ.

(Madsen, Walker, Horry, Shaw, and possibly Medvedenko).
All of these players should be gone except for Slava....I think he saved his job against SA last year. The guy can shoot (and he does pretty much every time he touches the ball)...now if he can learn to play a little defense. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Madsen makes it also. Horry is gone if the Lakers bring in Malone. Horry believes he is just as good and considers it a slap in the face. Walker is just awful and the door will be smacking him on his #### on the way out. Shaw will call it a career and not a bad one for the former Gaucho.

I'm amused at all the Haters saying that the Lake show will implode if Malone signs. Cmon guys.....seriously....Kobe, Shaq, Payton, and Malone = 03-04 ChampsYou guys know what solves problems......WINNING. What you guys fail to realize is that this would also be the All-NBA Defensive team. Each of those guys are incredibly talented when it comes to Defense. Kobe and the Glove in the backcourt.....oh my. Shaq and Malone......game over. This team would just be sick.......I LOVE IT!!!!! :thumbup: :D :rotflmao: :brush: Bring it Spurs :boxing: :boxing: :rant: :hot: :boxing: :football:

Yeah, but I think even you can agree that it will take a small miracle to control four raging egos instead of two. I think you may be forgetting the Payton legacy.Phil Jackson does not equal Jesus Christ.
obviously that will be intriguing to watch how that all plays out. i would assume that payton (and malone if he signs) would want to play within the system to get their ring, but i'm sure there will be some fireworks if kobe starts jacking up shots like a madman and isn't hitting them.hell, the glove's the point guard. kobe's going to have to rely on him to get his shots so if he pisses the glove off the glove will just dish the rock to shaq and malone leaving kobe at the top of the key clapping his hands like he's at a stevie wonder concert.

who's going to be on the bench pouting that anyone cares about?starting lineup:C: Shaq DaddyF: The MailmanF: Kobe (or possibly George)G: Kobe (or possibly Fisher)G: The GloveWith Fox gone most likely the entire season George will see more minutes than he typically would anyway, with Fisher getting about the same as they rotate Kobe, George, Fisher, and Payton through the 2 G spots and the SF spot.Cook and Walton might come off the bench to spell Malone and/or the SF spot, but really, Jackson prefers a small rotation of players and only had to expand last year due to the horrible play of his bench players, many of whom will be gone next year (Madsen, Walker, Horry, Shaw, and possibly Medvedenko).The main difference between the Blazers and the Lakers is that the Blazers' coach cannot control his players. Jackson has proven to control Kobe and Shaq and get them to work together for 3 rings in 4 years, even when they obviously do not like each other.
don't forget the lakers also have Kareem Rush

I think LA success next season rests in bryants hands. Both Payton and Bryant need the ball in their hands to be effective. Both Shaq and Malone want to be on the finishing end. Payton has the maturity to care more about winning and won't mind letting Shaq and Malone finish. While bryant on the other hand wants the ball in his hands AND wants to finish. This will be a big opportunity for bryant to show that he is more about winning than scoring. As a self-professed "laker HATER!" I feel very comfortable with the lakers success in bryants hands hinging on whether or not he's willing to pass the ball. Does bryant shoot over three defenders because he HAS TO, or because he WANTS TO? I guess we'll soon find out.

I think LA success next season rests in bryants hands. Both Payton and Bryant need the ball in their hands to be effective. Both Shaq and Malone want to be on the finishing end. Payton has the maturity to care more about winning and won't mind letting Shaq and Malone finish. While bryant on the other hand wants the ball in his hands AND wants to finish. This will be a big opportunity for bryant to show that he is more about winning than scoring. As a self-professed "laker HATER!" I feel very comfortable with the lakers success in bryants hands hinging on whether or not he's willing to pass the ball. Does bryant shoot over three defenders because he HAS TO, or because he WANTS TO? I guess we'll soon find out.
Losing has a very humbling effect. Until last year, the Lakers rolled through their opponents. Kobe tried, but I'm sure even he realized he can't do it all alone after taking all those lumps throughout the season and struggling in the playoffs. I'm sure Phil will make it work. Who's to say all of these guys can't average 20+ a night?They can all hit the jumper, drive, play with their backs to the basket....etc., etc.It's really not fair IMO (but hey who asked me :D )

Ha ha!!!Gotta love all the Laker Haters on this board. Lakers will ROLE next year with or without the Mailman. :thumbup:

Ha ha!!!Gotta love all the Laker Haters on this board. Lakers will ROLE next year with or without the Mailman. :thumbup:
I am guessing by your excitement, when a team ROLES, it a good thing. Right? Not sure about that one. ;) To me, it sounds like the same music as last year. Laker fans talking up their team before the season. Look what happened. I think all of you guys are a little short sighted discounting the other top teams in the West.

I would be so pumped if the Lake could get the Glove and somehow get Shawn Kemp.......that would be a heckova team, and Kobe would be the team ##### :lol:

Ha ha!!!

Gotta love all the Laker Haters on this board. Lakers will ROLE next year with or without the Mailman. :thumbup:
I am guessing by your excitement, when a team ROLES, it a good thing. Right? Not sure about that one. ;) To me, it sounds like the same music as last year. Laker fans talking up their team before the season. Look what happened. I think all of you guys are a little short sighted discounting the other top teams in the West.
obviously Sac town is right there, as long as they stay healthy. also, SA should improve leaving Dallas wondering what just happened.LA, SA, and SAC are the only teams who will have a chance to win the title next year. case closed.

they should just skip the regular season and start a round robin tournament between these 3 teams.

I think this is a great pickup byt the Lakers. It's true that Payton has an ego and will clash with Kobe at times (assuming he's not doing time), but I think that the commitment to a championship will bring them together, especially with the faith that Payton (and obviously the rest of the team) shows in Phil. The defensive backcourt will be devastating to opponents, and we all know that was the downfall of the Lakers this last season. Teams were scoring on them like they never had before and LA couldn't control the tempo. The Glove will give the defensive edge back. Although I won't be disappointed if Karl signs with the Lake show, I'd rather see a different PF suit up in the purple and gold. PJ Borwn would be a better fit IMO. Plus I don't like Karl since he's a redneck and wouldn't fit in in LA.

LA, SA, and SAC are the only teams who will have a chance to win the title next year. case closed.

they should just skip the regular season and start a round robin tournament between these 3 teams.
I agree with you there. The east will be a joke next season. (again)

The defensive backcourt will be devastating to opponents, and we all know that was the downfall of the Lakers this last season. Teams were scoring on them like they never had before and LA couldn't control the tempo. The Glove will give the defensive edge back
I bet you Payton forgets how to defend the pick and roll like every other Laker for the past 20 years. :wall: That's one of the pluses Malone could bring to the team. Maybe he can teach them to defend it. :thumbup:

I'm amused at all the Haters saying that the Lake show will implode if Malone signs. Cmon guys.....seriously....Kobe, Shaq, Payton, and Malone = 03-04 ChampsYou guys know what solves problems......WINNING. What you guys fail to realize is that this would also be the All-NBA Defensive team. Each of those guys are incredibly talented when it comes to Defense. Kobe and the Glove in the backcourt.....oh my. Shaq and Malone......game over. This team would just be sick.......I LOVE IT!!!!! :thumbup: :D :rotflmao: :brush: Bring it Spurs :boxing: :boxing: :rant: :hot: :boxing: :football:
LOL @ Malone being a defensive player.... He is way too slow to guard anybody anymore, and so is Payton. These are obvious talent upgrades (fisher/madsen is tough to downgrade on), but you have to be a moron (or a laker homer) to think Malone is gonna be happy averaging 6 pts per game, or that Payton is going to have no problem playing decoy and standing in the corner at the end of games while Kobe (if he's not in prison) takes ill advised jumper after ill advised jumper.

LOL @ Malone being a defensive player.... He is way too slow to guard anybody anymore, and so is Payton. These are obvious talent upgrades (fisher/madsen is tough to downgrade on), but you have to be a moron (or a laker homer) to think Malone is gonna be happy averaging 6 pts per game, or that Payton is going to have no problem playing decoy and standing in the corner at the end of games while Kobe (if he's not in prison) takes ill advised jumper after ill advised jumper.
Sorry man, GP is still a great defender no matter what you say. Plus he'll give opposing PGs fits, which along with zero D in the low post was the problem. I do agree with you however on Karl though.

Tisk tisk Karl Malone - only way you can win a title is piggybacking on a team that has already been there. Lot of pride there....

I'd rather see a different PF suit up in the purple and gold. PJ Borwn would be a better fit IMO. Plus I don't like Karl since he's a redneck and wouldn't fit in in LA.
I'm pretty sure PJ Brown is NOT going to sign for the NBA minimum. The reason everyone thinks Malone will sign with LA is because he SAID he would sign with LA for the minimum if Payton signed with LA for the $4.5million. Now we'll see if Karl Malone is a man of his word. I'd guess it's about 50%-50%. I don't think Karl would have such a tough time fitting in in LA. It's pretty easy to be superficial if you try.

I'm pretty sure PJ Brown is NOT going to sign for the NBA minimum. The reason everyone thinks Malone will sign with LA is because he SAID he would sign with LA for the minimum if Payton signed with LA for the $4.5million. Now we'll see if Karl Malone is a man of his word. I'd guess it's about 50%-50%. I don't think Karl would have such a tough time fitting in in LA. It's pretty easy to be superficial if you try.
yeah, there's no way that Brown will go to the Lakers now. the Lakers might have an opportunity to get some cap relief if Fox's injury ends up being season ending but I haven't too much of that as of late so it doesn't look like anything will happen on that front.

True true, unless the Lakers exceed the cap like the Kings and Mavs have done the last few years. I'm not well versed in the nuances of the NBA cap, but as far as I know, it's a "soft cap" where above that number a luxury tax is applied. If they could land Brown, they would have to be teh favorites. Malone is a better player than Horry, but I don't know how much of a better defensive player he is. That's paramount in my opinion. I watched way too many games where the Lakers couldn't stop a decent PF. They wouldn't double them yet, somehow some small SG got wide open for looks and went off on them. The Lakers don't have a real problem scoring in my opinion, and with Payton, now they have even less.

Heavenly Father/Lord Jesus/Allahu-Akbar/Dear Santa, Please send the Mailman to the freakshow in LA. Blessed art thou, Amen, gllll peas.
lmaoJzilla= one funny hillbilly. :yes:

True true, unless the Lakers exceed the cap like the Kings and Mavs have done the last few years. I'm not well versed in the nuances of the NBA cap, but as far as I know, it's a "soft cap" where above that number a luxury tax is applied.
It's a soft cap in that you can exceed the salary cap to re-sign your own player. There is a way to get around this if your team is over the salary cap and that would be a sign and trade with NO. Since NO is in a position where they may loose Brown for nothing, they might be willing to take on a few veterans with big salaries in a package with draft picks or younger players after NO re-signed Brown to trade him to LA. That would take a LOT of juggling and LA doesn't have much to offer in the way of young talent and will pick late in the draft the next few years at least. First round draft choices aren't worth what they once were in the NBA.

LOL@ GP not being able to play D anymore... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: "The Glove" can still ball. Period.

Is it just me, or are the Laker fans more obnoxious after they've "won" the 2004 NBA championship than Spur fans were after they won the 2003 championship?

They must take after their team. GDB teams that talk and don't back it up.

GO SPURS, KINGS, MAVS, and TWOLVES!

Oh, and good signing by the Lake Show. Just a Mailman away from being my most hated team of all time. Oh, who am I kidding, they already are.

EDIT: By the way, I didn't mean to imply that Spurs fans were obnoxious in the least. If anything, they were too mild-mannered in their celebration, which I'm sure they got from their team. Robinson, Duncan, and Rose are truly special. Even if they never win another title, the 2002 Spurs were my favorite basketball team of all time. I don't really have a home team for basketball, but since 2000 I've rooted for the Spurs because I love the way the play and the way they act. Smack talk is cool in doses, but talk is cheap. Gotta love this team.

Last edited by a moderator:
True true, unless the Lakers exceed the cap like the Kings and Mavs have done the last few years. I'm not well versed in the nuances of the NBA cap, but as far as I know, it's a "soft cap" where above that number a luxury tax is applied. If they could land Brown, they would have to be teh favorites. Malone is a better player than Horry, but I don't know how much of a better defensive player he is. That's paramount in my opinion. I watched way too many games where the Lakers couldn't stop a decent PF. They wouldn't double them yet, somehow some small SG got wide open for looks and went off on them. The Lakers don't have a real problem scoring in my opinion, and with Payton, now they have even less.
teams in the nba can only exceed their cap number by re-signing players or signing players via the various exemptions.every team except for the clippers and bulls are over the cap.

Users who are viewing this thread