What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GAS Price wait time vs cost savings break point? (1 Viewer)

belljr

Footballguy
So ran out this morning to get some dog supplies.   Was going to fill up my car at the costco.  There are 6 cars deep at every pump.

We used to have the problem where people would get in the line to match their pump and not read the signs that any pump would work (they have the big swing out hoses, so you can fill up in any line) that would congest the entrance and made it look more crowded than it was.....

Anyway,  today every line was 6 cars deep and it got me to thinking.   My dad was always this gas station is 5 cents cheaper but he would drive freaking 3 miles out  the way to fill up.

The Costco was .20 cheaper than what I filled up for by my house.   However, I pulled in and out in ~ 5 minutes. No waiting.

For my car it was ~ $2.20 more to fill up where I did.  

Where is your "line" for cost vs time?                If I have a 30 gallon tank maybe I'd wait.....

I admit I'm impatient and lazy so the 2.20 was worth saving the 15-20 minutes I would have probably waited.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife is one to point out the price of gas whenever we drive by a gas station and it drives me nuts.  I couldn't care less if its 5 cents, 10 cents or whatever the amount it's cheaper at X station I'm choosing convenience everytime.  There's a super easy to get in and out of Qwik Trip a block from my office and that's my go to gas station.  I've never driven out of my way for cheaper gas, never will.  With that being said I have a 2 mile commute, bike some days so I don't put many miles on my vehicle.  If I had a long commute I may have a different mindset.

So ran out this morning to get some dog supplies.   Was going to fill up my car at the costco.  There are 6 cars deep at every pump.

We used to have the problem where people would get in the line to match their pump and not read the signs that any pump would work (they have the big swing out hoses, so you can fill up in any line) that would congest the entrance and made it look more crowded than it was.....

Anyway,  today every line was 6 cars deep and it got me to thinking.   My dad was always this gas station is 5 cents cheaper but he would drive freaking 3 miles out  the way to fill up.

The Costco was .20 cheaper than what I filled up for by my house.   However, I pulled in and out in ~ 5 minutes. No waiting.

For my car it was ~ $2.20 more to fill up where I did.  

Where is your "line" for cost vs time?                If I have a 30 gallon tank maybe I'd wait.....

I admit I'm impatient and lazy so the 2.20 was worth saving the 15-20 minutes I would have probably waited.
I think you need to plan your Costco trips better. I never fill up if I have to run there on the weekend, not worth the time. I actually like to run there at night if I can as it’s usually much less busy. Mine is unfortunately a 20 minute drive so I never go for just gas no matter what but I’ll fill up most times I go there.

11 gallons is a pretty small tank. I’d assume yours is a bit bigger and I’d come back at a better time. I’m all about saving money but I’m not sitting 6 deep or trying to go to Costco when it’s that busy.

I think you need to plan your Costco trips better. I never fill up if I have to run there on the weekend, not worth the time. I actually like to run there at night if I can as it’s usually much less busy. Mine is unfortunately a 20 minute drive so I never go for just gas no matter what but I’ll fill up most times I go there.

11 gallons is a pretty small tank. I’d assume yours is a bit bigger and I’d come back at a better time. I’m all about saving money but I’m not sitting 6 deep or trying to go to Costco when it’s that busy.
Are you victim blaming?

I didn't realize a Wednesday morning at 10:00 a.m. was prime Costco gas time 

And my commuter car only holds 12 gallons!!!!!

This is a situation where having a smart phone is great.  If I have a 10 minute wait at the pumps I can read FBG, answer work emails or get something done and still be productive (excluding FBGs).  I'm a really patient person in general though and one thing I've learned in life is that being in hurry-mode often gets me nowhere and leads to stress.  Be on island time mahn.

This is a situation where having a smart phone is great.  If I have a 10 minute wait at the pumps I can read FBG, answer work emails or get something done and still be productive (excluding FBGs).  I'm a really patient person in general though and one thing I've learned in life is that being in hurry-mode often gets me nowhere and leads to stress.  Be on island time mahn.
That's just it. I'm not in a rush per SE as much as I'd rather just get home and be lazy those extra 10 minutes ;)

Are you victim blaming?

Similar situation here at Samsclub near me. Go there at any point during the day and they have 6-10 cars backed up on EVERY pump. 12 pumps. It is insane! Sams closes at 8:30pm but the gas station is open until 9pm. If I go up there any time after 8pm there is always at least one or more pumps open no wait. No way I sit in that line 6-10 cars deep to save .20 per gallon. My Explorer holds close 18 gallons so that is only a $3.60 savings. 

I normally always fill up at costco because it is cheaper, however, I have noticed lately the costco gas station is crazy busy (way busier than normal), like 6 cars deep in each line like happened to you.  I won't wait in that line and will pay the $1-2 somewhere else to not wait. 

What I don't understand, is the gas has always been cheaper at costco, by about the same amount per gallon, do people only care about saving $2 when gas is expensive instead of just all the time?  I mean costco gas was always fairly busy (but I could normally get in pretty easily) now it is just insane busy whenever I have driven by. 

I go to the same place every time as there is a trust factor at work for anyone that has ever gotten bad gas. And I'm not talking about the gas station burritos. 
:goodposting:  Gas station a few miles east of us mixed up their diesel and gas last November. WRECKED my son's friends Diesel. You put diesel in a gas car it is going to smoke, clog up and need cleaned out but shouldn't destroy your engine. Regular gas in a diesel? WAY WORSE.

I only fill up like two times a month at most. Gas would need to be about 50% cheaper for me to even consider going out of my way or wait in a line. 

My dad was always this gas station is 5 cents cheaper but he would drive freaking 3 miles out  the way to fill up.
My dad was a mechanic and had a service station with some pumps (that I got to man as a kid sometimes since this was in NJ) back in the 80's/90's, I never understood this behavior either.  I'm filling up less than weekly though.**  I've got a hybrid with only a 12 gallon tank so even a full fill up with a $.20 difference is only costing me a couple of bucks.  I don't even look at the prices, I just always use the plentiful Wawa's around us in PA.  I spend more than that on random stuff when I run in to grab a coffee while I'm there.  

**Just realized I can tell you exactly how much gas I've bought because I've tracked every fill up on my Fuelly app since I bought my car back in 7/20...

Fuel ups: 74    /    Total Gallons: 698    /    Total Fuel Cost: $2,339.39

Avg MPG: 40.1    /    Avg Price per Gallon: $3.35    /    Avg Price per mile: $0.084

I moved closer to work 14 years ago and as a result fill my tank once a month.  But I'm horrible about waiting in lines - just hate it so much.  So even in the 6-car-deep-line hypothetical world where gas is actually something relevant to my life, I'd find an empty station and wouldn't care about the price.  I also never go to Walmart, Sam's Club, Home Depot etc unless I really have to.  I just hate the whole cattle vibe.

I was at Sam's Club today and the lines were pretty deep.  I had about 1/2 a tank, so I didn't bother to wait.  Typically, I am one to run my tank down pretty low, so when I do fill up it is out of necessity and I choose whatever is conveniently close by.  If the lines hadn't been long though, I probably would have topped off.

I’m exactly the opposite. We only have limited time in this world, and I’d rather squander it on my terms than waiting in line for anything. I’m more likely to pass the gas station altogether, if there aren’t any empty pumps.

Plus as a cyclist, I’ve been nearly hit too many times by distracted drivers to be checking my phone in the car.

Independent of all that, I’m not going to miss that few bucks on my deathbed.

I’d actually consider the option if it was only 6 cars deep. It’s WAY worse than that at ours. There are portions of the parking lot that cannot be used because the gas lines go well into them. 

Personal car- I only use Exxon and since i barely use it I keep it full.

Wife fills up wherever, tries for the cheapest but won’t drive 10 minutes extra for it. 

Work car- They pay for gas so convenience trumps everything else. 

I'll never wait on those crazy costco lines, but I'm at a point in my life where I'm not so price sensitive.   I try to get value from my money but only up until a certain point and those lines are way past that point.   

I don't understand the people that drive 15 miles out of their way to save $.02 per gallon.  That makes no sense.  Waiting in line is something I never really thought about but in general I don't wait in those costco lines if they are that packed unless I am on empty and just need to fill it up.  

I do have a station near my house but it is usually $.80 to $1 over the other places in town (<5 miles away).  I will never go to that place even when there is no wait (which is all the time).  

My wife is one to point out the price of gas whenever we drive by a gas station and it drives me nuts.  I couldn't care less if its 5 cents, 10 cents or whatever the amount it's cheaper at X station I'm choosing convenience everytime.  There's a super easy to get in and out of Qwik Trip a block from my office and that's my go to gas station.  
:goodposting:  there's a gas station about 4-5 blocks from my house. it's a small, local convenience store with a couple pumps. always about 10 cents more than other places but i stop there because it's convenient and a fill-up costs me another $1.20 every 2 weeks. i can swing $30 a year to support the guy.

I don't understand the people that drive 15 miles out of their way to save $.02 per gallon.  That makes no sense.  Waiting in line is something I never really thought about but in general I don't wait in those costco lines if they are that packed unless I am on empty and just need to fill it up.  

I do have a station near my house but it is usually $.80 to $1 over the other places in town (<5 miles away).  I will never go to that place even when there is no wait (which is all the time).  
Good grief.  

I prefer the easy in/out and LARGE stations near me.  They are usually around $.20/gallon more expensive.  In my wife's car that is 3 dollars or so.  In my truck it's more like 5 dollars.

belljr said:
Are you victim blaming?

Absolutely. I’m not blaming my beloved Costco.

Gally said:

I don’t think anyone is saying drive to 30 miles to save a few bucks. I only fill up at Costco if I’m there already because it costs more to drive there and back than I could save. It was more about waiting in line if you are already there or maybe live close.

You (plural "you" - not aimed at OP) can save a lot more money by figuring out how to limit car travel and eliminate trips.  Car pool, public transit, combine trips, bike/walk etc. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but a lot of the wasteful behaviors we do out of habit - wait in drive through with motor running, run to the store for a single item, drive to the nearby gym etc. - can be changed.

My wife starting taking the bus to work (about 40 miles round trip) a few months ago and absolutely loves it because she can listen to podcasts and text her entire world.  I ride my bike to work and all over town for about 8 months per year.  Our gas bills have decreased dramatically.  I just took my truck in to get oil change as it was telling me I was due - I'd only driven it 1200 miles in 6 months.  They topped me off and reset the notification free of charge. 

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
Work car- They pay for gas so convenience trumps everything else. 
This is me.   Have a work vehicle that I can use for whatever personal needs I have.  I know it costs >$100 to fill it (pickup truck) which is about once a week for me, but gas could be $3.99 or $4.68 and I wouldn't know the difference. 

If I'm filling the wife's car then I'll try to go to Kroger (no Sams or Costco here) - but if it's more than 2 deep I'll go somewhere else.  

You (plural "you" - not aimed at OP) can save a lot more money by figuring out how to limit car travel and eliminate trips.  Car pool, public transit, combine trips, bike/walk etc. I know it doesn't work for everyone, but a lot of the wasteful behaviors we do out of habit - wait in drive through with motor running, run to the store for a single item, drive to the nearby gym etc. - can be changed.

My wife starting taking the bus to work (about 40 miles round trip) a few months ago and absolutely loves it because she can listen to podcasts and text her entire world.  I ride my bike to work and all over town for about 8 months per year.  Our gas bills have decreased dramatically.  I just took my truck in to get oil change as it was telling me I was due - I'd only driven it 1200 miles in 6 months.  They topped me off and reset the notification free of charge. 
My brother is currently in the middle of changing jobs because of this.  He lives in a big city and found an identical opportunity in a different part of town where instead of a 40 minute commute through heavy traffic (all interstate) he can bike or walk two blocks to work now.  Got a raise to change jobs, plus saving huge on gas = double raise. 

What kind of real American are you. 🤨

I don’t think anyone is saying drive to 30 miles to save a few bucks. I only fill up at Costco if I’m there already because it costs more to drive there and back than I could save. It was more about waiting in line if you are already there or maybe live close.
I know.  But I do know people that do that.

stbugs said:

My wife always says let’s go to Costco for gas.  I get in line for the gas and she goes in the store.  I save $4.00 on a tank of gas and she spends $300.00 in-the store.  Better to pay the extra $4.00 for gas then let her in the store.

Our Costco is 2 miles out of the way to work, so I just leave 10 mins early those days and fill up on a weekday morning when there aren't 900 vehicles trying to fill up. If the fill up is being done with an already scheduled trip during a peak time then I'll usually wait to save a few bucks and just catch up on messages I've not checked for the last X hours while I wait (all my phone notifications except for phone calls are always off). 

AAABatteries said:
This. There’s a better then 50% chance if I’m posting here I’m in line at Costco gas or on the toilet.  

NutterButter said:
Such a good life tip and something I try really hard to adhere to.   Makes life so much more enjoyable that way.   
Patience is a great quality, but I don’t think being impatient is necessarily stressful.

Terminalxylem said:
I’m exactly the opposite. We only have limited time in this world, and I’d rather squander it on my terms than waiting in line for anything. I’m more likely to pass the gas station altogether, if there aren’t any empty pumps.

Plus as a cyclist, I’ve been nearly hit too many times by distracted drivers to be checking my phone in the car.

Independent of all that, I’m not going to miss that few bucks on my deathbed.
If I’m going to spend 10 minutes reading FBGs then I don’t care where I’m sitting.

I don't know how lower income people survive this 
Plenty of ways. Some are fairly easy. Others not so much.

Take more public transportation. Get groceries delivered instead of driving to store. Carpool to work. Walk or bike more. Drive 4 miles out of the way to save a couple bucks at the pump. 

This is me.   Have a work vehicle that I can use for whatever personal needs I have.  I know it costs >$100 to fill it (pickup truck) which is about once a week for me, but gas could be $3.99 or $4.68 and I wouldn't know the difference. 

If I'm filling the wife's car then I'll try to go to Kroger (no Sams or Costco here) - but if it's more than 2 deep I'll go somewhere else.  
We I have a Sam's but I go to Kroger for gas far more often. 

Mostly because I'm at Kroger more often, and there are more opportunities to get it quick. Even during the busy afternoons. 

If you really need it quick, Kroger at five or six in the morning is beautiful. Although I guess a lot of places would be. 

Plenty of ways. Some are fairly easy. Others not so much.

Take more public transportation. Get groceries delivered instead of driving to store. Carpool to work. Walk or bike more. Drive 4 miles out of the way to save a couple bucks at the pump. 

Yeah that's not gonna happen for many

Users who are viewing this thread