What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Geno Smith guaranteed to be 2013 OROTY (1 Viewer)

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy's a tool. He's going to get plenty of attention for this, just as he planned.

ETA: But is Geno's smile real?

McShay on First Take right now; said the report on Geno was very harsh, and that his sources (many) suggest his work ethic is strong. Said there could be some truth to the body language concern. He said the white board stuff is being reported to him both ways: some positive, some negative.

There is some agenda to these reports, in my opinion. I hope it's only attention, which he is clearly getting.

This is my own knee-jerk reaction but here it is:

After listening to three interviews with him, I think he might be a knucklehead. He reminds me so much of Cedric Benson's attitude when he came out that something in the back of my head is warning: AVOID! I know, that awesome analysis I just laid out means Sooo much...LOL...but sometimes you trust your gut and I got a bad feeling about this kid.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/04/01/barkley-smith-scouting-reports

In related news:

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout49m
If the only time you hear a draft analyst's name is once a year when he's blasting African American QBs…well…do the math.
To be fair to Nawrocki, I believe he is an equal oppertunity hatchet man. He also bashed Ryan Mallet as a admitted drug user. At one point, he had ranked 8th at the position behind Ricky Stanzi.
Just to play devil's advocate and to disclose I TOTALLY get that the sentiment among fans and NFL people are that Mallet would carry more value today, BUT...based on the actual production both have garnered since coming into the league, is Nawrocki wrong? I mean, we always say the talent cream will rise to the top and if you're good, you will get your chance but to date, Stanzi has had more impact in an NFL game than Mallet. And again, I get it..he plays behind Brady, etc, BUT...at the end of the day, has Mallet forced himself to be accounted for in the NFL any more than Stanzi?

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/04/01/barkley-smith-scouting-reports

In related news:

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout49m
If the only time you hear a draft analyst's name is once a year when he's blasting African American QBs…well…do the math.
To be fair to Nawrocki, I believe he is an equal oppertunity hatchet man. He also bashed Ryan Mallet as a admitted drug user. At one point, he had Mallet ranked 8th at the position behind Ricky Stanzi.
Yeah, I don't think it's race, I think it's attention, at least. I just don't understand some of the personal things he is commenting on. Calling Newton a "fraud" with a fake smile. How is that within the range of his job to speculate? Re:Geno - what kind of information could justify his scouting report? Essentially calling him lazy, dumb, spoiled, and immature. McShay said he talked to plenty that say this kid's work ethic is top notch. Nawrocki said the same about Newtwon, who - despite other questions - was also praised for being the first on the field and last to leave.

There are lines that he shouldn't cross, in my opinion, and for a select few prospects, he does cross them. If it's not related to football, keep your opinion to yourself.

Negatives: Operated an offense where he received adjustments from the sidelines and was often out of sync with receivers. Average field vision and coverage recognition — forces throws and does not work through progressions. Takes unnecessary sacks and does not feel pressure well. Not an elusive scrambler. Shaky lower-body mechanics — does not stand tall in the pocket (crouches, hops, dances and elevates to his toes when he throws). Has pin legs and bad pocket posture. Operated almost exclusively from the gun. Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.

Summary: Started the season red-hot with the help of two playmaking receivers and created a national stir generating a lot of overexcitement in the scouting community. Quickly came down to earth after Kansas State disguised coverages and brought pressure he could not handle and he finished dropping six of his final eight games. A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.
Yikes!!!

Shutout said:
This is my own knee-jerk reaction but here it is: After listening to three interviews with him, I think he might be a knucklehead. He reminds me so much of Cedric Benson's attitude when he came out that something in the back of my head is warning: AVOID! I know, that awesome analysis I just laid out means Sooo much...LOL...but sometimes you trust your gut and I got a bad feeling about this kid.
There's definitely value in a gut call on someone's character. I'd also say that "knuckleheadness" is one of the easier traits to pick up on for some reason. The harder thing to decipher is whether or not it's just the someone's youth coming through and something they could possibly outgrow.

I think he could work well in a fast paced offense with a quick tempo. Would like to see him help turn Buffalo around. Steve Johnson has a bit more upside in my opinion, he's actually pretty fundamentally sound and a decent athlete.

I think if the team got in the Redzone more consistently we could see Steve Johnson's numbers go up. But beyond him you've obviously got Spiller who can get you a lot of yards. So you know that Buffalo is in the market for a receiver.

It's possible. I don't know how much trust I have in Buffalo developing a Rookie Player.

We don't want another Vince Young.

Desperate times require desperate measures, gentlemen.

A sad band of 15 barely rosterable virtual names with numbers affixed to their virtual jerseys await a leader.

FADE IN:

In the shimmering desert, a lone figure appears.

I give you:

Geno Smith.

So, how does this screenplay end?

Geno will be the OROTY. Hard pressed to start him in fantasy. He is scoring better than Brady (who I'm still starting :sadbanana: )

Keenan Allen will pass him up as the season wears on with the amount of passing Rivers will have to do to keep them in games.

Geno won't face anemic defenses like ATL's every week.

Keenan Allen will pass him up as the season wears on with the amount of passing Rivers will have to do to keep them in games.

He plays a much more important position and he has three come from behind fourth quarter wins. Keenan Allen is off in the distance somewhere.

He plays a much more important position and he has three come from behind fourth quarter wins. Keenan Allen is off in the distance somewhere.
Let's see where they end up. Geno has a 3 game head start of starting. Geno was third all time I think in the amount of turnovers to start a career going into last nights game.

Let's see where they end up. Geno has a 3 game head start of starting. Geno was third all time I think in the amount of turnovers to start a career going into last nights game.
Really? Peyton Manning was top 3, as well. It's not a comparison, but let's not leave out key pieces of information.

Someone dropped Geno so out of curiosity I checked his stat line for the season. The pattern I found is pretty remarkable. Clearly he's in for a nice outing this weekend assuming he starts. :lol:

1 TB 15
2 @NE 3
3 Buf 37
4 @Ten 7
5 @Atl 21
6 Pit 4
7 NE 21
8 @Cin 2
9 NO 12
11 @Buf -4

Would be curious where guys see him in dynasty... I was a believer initially, and his early season results supported my initial read. Lately he's been quite poor...

Not trying to overreact, but... what do others think?

At one point early in the year (maybe week 7 or week 8) RotoViz had a comparison of Geno's rookie season to Peyton's rookie season, and the numbers were remarkably similar. Since then, Geno's been rather putrid.

Are there still believers in his talent? Jets could stand to put some weapons around him for one... and beef up the O-line.

Someone dropped Geno so out of curiosity I checked his stat line for the season. The pattern I found is pretty remarkable. Clearly he's in for a nice outing this weekend assuming he starts. :lol:

1 TB 15

2 @NE 3

3 Buf 37

4 @Ten 7

5 @Atl 21

6 Pit 4

7 NE 21

8 @Cin 2

9 NO 12

11 @Buf -4
Except its trending with the highs not so high and the lows downright awful

At one point early in the year (maybe week 7 or week 8) RotoViz had a comparison of Geno's rookie season to Peyton's rookie season, and the numbers were remarkably similar. Since then, Geno's been rather putrid.
This is such lazy analysis. Basically, one player has a lousy/avg rookie season and then goes on to become a top-5 QB of all time. So then every QB with a lousy/avg rookie season will do the same?

Would be curious where guys see him in dynasty... I was a believer initially, and his early season results supported my initial read. Lately he's been quite poor...

Are there still believers in his talent? Jets could stand to put some weapons around him for one... and beef up the O-line.
He's shown some glimpses of talents that could make him a good to very good QB at times (Strong accurate arm, and very nice scrambling ability), but what he lacks is poise under pressure and the ability to learn from his mistakes.

He has made some real poor decisions with the ball, and performs poorly under pressure. That could possibly turn around a bit once he gains some experience.

In his defense the Jets targets are really poor as the team has been trotting out journeyman types like David Nelson and Greg Salas.

Basically the jury is still out - when he's good he's good. When he's bad he's horrible.

What I find most remarkable is the expectation that a rookie can take over arguably the most challenging job in professional sports and excel from day 1. There used to be a conventional wisdom that said a rookie QB needs to just attend meetings, hold the clipboard and observe for at least one season. Now, they get thrown to the lions and they're a bust if it doesn't work out in the first year. Where is Geno's veteran supporting cast in this offense, or his veteran backup to act as a mentor? Not defending his prospects as a franchise QB but he certainly has not been put in the best position to succeed.

1 TB 15

2 @NE 3

3 Buf 37

4 @Ten 7

5 @Atl 21

6 Pit 4

7 NE 21

8 @Cin 2

9 NO 12

11 @Buf -4
Except its trending with the highs not so high and the lows downright awful
Looking forward to his -10 point game in Week 14.

What I find most remarkable is the expectation that a rookie can take over arguably the most challenging job in professional sports and excel from day 1. There used to be a conventional wisdom that said a rookie QB needs to just attend meetings, hold the clipboard and observe for at least one season. Now, they get thrown to the lions and they're a bust if it doesn't work out in the first year. Where is Geno's veteran supporting cast in this offense, or his veteran backup to act as a mentor? Not defending his prospects as a franchise QB but he certainly has not been put in the best position to succeed.
Russell Wilson has spoiled people.

I own him in one league and wouldn't sell him at his current market price. He has shown enough flashes to get me excited about his potential. His skill position players are Sub-par at best. He still has a long way to go, but I think he is as talented as the 2-5 QBs that will be taken in 2014 and probably costs half the price.

Rotoworld:

ESPN New York's Rich Cimini expects the Jets to be in the 2014 quarterback market if Geno Smith doesn't make "dramatic improvement" over the final six games.
The Jets benched Geno for Matt Simms last week. One of the problems the Jets have had is OC Marty Mornhinweg's tendency to put too much on Smith's plate. They need to be a run-foundation team. "You have to take some lumps with [smith]," said one AFC scout. "He's a second-rounder, not a top-10 guy. Get the ball out of his hand, give him easy reads and throws. Run the ball and run it some more. Let him manage the game and not be the difference maker."

Source: ESPN New York

Rotoworld:

ESPN New York's Rich Cimini expects the Jets to be in the 2014 quarterback market if Geno Smith doesn't make "dramatic improvement" over the final six games.
The Jets benched Geno for Matt Simms last week. One of the problems the Jets have had is OC Marty Mornhinweg's tendency to put too much on Smith's plate. They need to be a run-foundation team. "You have to take some lumps with [smith]," said one AFC scout. "He's a second-rounder, not a top-10 guy. Get the ball out of his hand, give him easy reads and throws. Run the ball and run it some more. Let him manage the game and not be the difference maker."

Source: ESPN New York
Only the JETS could exceed expectations with a Rookie QB and then talk about replacing him 10 games into his career.

Rotoworld:

Jets coach Rex Ryan was noncommittal on Geno Smith's starting job for Week 13 following Sunday's loss to the Ravens.
Smith officially hit rock bottom Sunday against Baltimore, failing to generate any modicum of offense en route to a 9-of-22 for 127-yard day. He was picked off twice and sacked three times, including a strip-sack lost fumble. The Jets have now dropped two straight games and will definitely be considering Matt Simms or even David Garrard during the forthcoming week. They can't keep allowing big-time defensive efforts to go to waste. The Jets host the similarly reeling Dolphins in Week 13.

Users who are viewing this thread