What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (3 Viewers)

TIL that After the Fire was a group of old 70s Christian Proggers and that their version of Der Kommissar was a bigger hit in the US than it was in their native land. Put me down for preferring the German version but the hook works in any language.
It helped that it got regular play on MTV (as did Falco's version).

No doubt. After the Fire's version peaked at #5 on the US charts during the last week of April 1983. Beat It, Dexy's, Greg Kihn's Jeopardy and Mr. Roboto made up the rest of the top five. Billie Jean was on its way down at #7.

After The Fire was actually my first concert. Opened for Van Halen on their 1982 Diver Down tour. Was at the old Mecca arena in Milwaukee.

To the center of the city where all roads meet, waiting for you
To the depths of the ocean where all hopes sank, searching for you
I was moving through the silence without motion, waiting for you
In a room with a window in the corner, I found truth

Just went down a Gomez rabbit hole. Wow, I didn't even know these guys existed. That's sad, and kinda cool that I get to enjoy them like they're new. But from about the time I got married/kids (mid 90s to around 2005ish, I just checked out of music.

Next rabbit hole is The Doves, (I thought that song was Foo Fighters at first :bag:)

Last edited:
I forgot to mention in my Fox on the Run writeup that there's a plot point set up by the song in the new Rian Johnson/Natasha Lyonne series Pokerface.

It's an entertaining show if you have Peacock for the footie.

Mrs. Rannous: Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler
A little bit of Power Ballad goes a long way for me and this is much more than a little bit. But the song is undeniably a top shelf example of the musical form. I don't remember it going on for seven minutes.
There's a shortened radio version. You have to know a Steinman song is going to be epic.

Mrs. Rannous: Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler
A little bit of Power Ballad goes a long way for me and this is much more than a little bit. But the song is undeniably a top shelf example of the musical form. I don't remember it going on for seven minutes.
There's a shortened radio version. You have to know a Steinman song is going to be epic.

That would be a Partial Eclipse of the Heart..

"Father Figure" by George Michael rollicking through my head tonight. I don't remember who picked it, but it came out of nowhere to have a firm plant -- along with Mott The Hoople -- in my headspace.
:hey:
I had a few GM songs I was trying to pick from and this one stuck in my head long after my listening session. A very simplistic tune but I love his breathy vocal.

I figured it would be one of the few songs on my list not selected by anyone else.
It is a favourite of mine. I just didn't have room on my list. Thanks for picking it up.

And to whatever valued member picked "Games Without Frontiers", a major middle finger. I've had that nasty thing stuck in my head for TWO DAYS now.

She's so POPular.

That has been off and on with me for two days, too. No freaking doubt. I've been listening to other stuff to try and drive it away, but that song and "Father Figure" keep coming back and having their day.

I always thought it was She's. So. Hot. To. Me.

Oh boy. But regardless, that thing has stuck in my memory bank, too.

Yankee23Fan:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles
(new song)

Hawks64:

I Will Wait – Mumford & Sons
(new song)

landrys hat:

She's A Rainbow - The Rolling Stones
(duplicate - second vote)

Eephus:

Fox On The Run – Sweet
(duplicate - second vote)

zamboni:

If I Needed Someone - The Beatles
(new song)

Having to go from favorites to top favorites. Still pleasantly surprised by the Sweet love - makes me happy. On any random day While My Guitar Gently Weeps is my favorite Beatles song which means on any random day it may be my favorite song of all-time.

whopper, whopper BK

ChiefD wrote something like this and I usurped it for the Dolphins and now my own usurpation gets in my head every time I hear that song during football

Waddle Waddle Double Waddle
Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle
Will you double Jaylen Waddle? He'll run all day
At BK...have it your way

Argh!
I can live with that one a lot more. Still waiting for BK to do one with Billy “The Whopper” Paultz.

I really like Abacab. Why is Phil Collins with Genesis so much better than Phil Collins solo? (At least IMO)

He kind of took the Steve Winwood route to the adult contemporary bin. I like their solo work for what it is but both were so much better with bands.

Steve Hyden ranks every McCartney studio album , excluding live records and that Oratorio thing he did. He also blasts Jann Wenner several times, which is always a plus in my book.

Eephus sent me this about a week ago, and even though I strenuously object to his rankings, I thought it was well done. He's a great writer and somehow employs his armchair psychology in a fashion that's illuminating rather than irritating. Any list that doesn't have Press to Play at the bottom is immediately suspect, though, and when I got to Flaming Pie at #18 I knew we weren't going to agree on much. He omitted the Fireman records, too.
I like him, too. I first ran across him when he wrote for Grantland (RIP). He's not a contrarian-for-contrarian's-sake and always provides backup for his opinions. I don't always agree with him, either (& certainly didn't here), but he makes me look at things differently than I normally would.
I've read a few of his books. Particularly fond of Your Favorite Band is Killlng Me.

Steve Hyden ranks every McCartney studio album , excluding live records and that Oratorio thing he did. He also blasts Jann Wenner several times, which is always a plus in my book.

Eephus sent me this about a week ago, and even though I strenuously object to his rankings, I thought it was well done. He's a great writer and somehow employs his armchair psychology in a fashion that's illuminating rather than irritating. Any list that doesn't have Press to Play at the bottom is immediately suspect, though, and when I got to Flaming Pie at #18 I knew we weren't going to agree on much. He omitted the Fireman records, too.
I like him, too. I first ran across him when he wrote for Grantland (RIP). He's not a contrarian-for-contrarian's-sake and always provides backup for his opinions. I don't always agree with him, either (& certainly didn't here), but he makes me look at things differently than I normally would.
I've read a few of his books. Particularly fond of Your Favorite Band is Killlng Me.
I keep meaning to get that book. Is an e-version ok or is it one where you'd rather have the physical copy (because photos or whatever)?

Yesterday was the tipping point for my modus operandi - just too many great songs, especially ones that have already been called out a half-dozen times.

A Design For Life - Manic Street Preachers (titus bramble): Another band on my long UK list that I'm really happy to see get a nod. For the unfamiliar, the disappearance of band member Richey Edwards is tragic and fascinating.

Enjoy The Silence - Depeche Mode (MAC_32): DM is probably my favorite band that didn't make my list. Too many great songs and there's one in particular I should have included. Enjoy the Silence is the subject of this weeks 60 Songs That Explain the 90s podcast.

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - The Beatles (Yankee23Fan) - Hey, a George song I actually know and like.

Catch The Sun - Doves (shuke): Bought this record on import the same day I got the first Coldplay CD. Always liked Doves (and Travis and even Starsailor) better than Coldplay. Still surprised it's the latter who went global.

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd (rockaction): Aside from it being gorgeous, it's a perfect song for a great set of speakers. So much going on in each channel to start, then it just soars.

Go! - Tones on Tail (Chaos34): A staple of old wave and goth nights for 40 years now.

Don't Start Now - Dua Lipa (ditkaburgers): I had heard of Dua Lipa, but honestly had no idea she is British (or a woman for that matter). Great pop song.

Well, you guys have done it. I'm listening to Paul's solo stuff this morning. McCartney II is currently spinning. I think I'll move on to Chaos and Creation in the Backyard. I liked "Jenny Wren" a bunch in the write-up Hyden did. Maybe it'll be like that.

I keep meaning to get that book. Is an e-version ok or is it one where you'd rather have the physical copy (because photos or whatever)?
I have a physical copy b/c I like to just pick it up and read a chapter every now and again when I'm doing a music countdown (especially the Britpop Wars piece and Stephen Malkmus vs Billy Corgan) but there's no pictures or anything to make it worth seeking out.

Can also recommend Kill Your Idols by Jim DeRogatis. But I'm a contrarian by nature.

My Idiots #19

Scooter

The Living Years – Mike & The Mechanics

Doug
Athena – The Who

Jeb
Vienna - Ultravox

Chap
Higher Love – Steve Winwood

My Idiots #18

Scooter

Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd

Doug
Sweet Talkin’ Woman – Electric Light Orchestra

Jeb
Golden Brown – The Stranglers

Chap
We Just Disagree – Dave Mason
Chap with the post-Traffic MOR double play!

Of all the Who songs, Athena? Really?
He’s a bomb.

My Idiots #19

Scooter

The Living Years – Mike & The Mechanics

Doug
Athena – The Who

Jeb
Vienna - Ultravox

Chap
Higher Love – Steve Winwood

My Idiots #18

Scooter

Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd

Doug
Sweet Talkin’ Woman – Electric Light Orchestra

Jeb
Golden Brown – The Stranglers

Chap
We Just Disagree – Dave Mason
Chap with the post-Traffic MOR double play!

Of all the Who songs, Athena? Really?
I think Athena is a great song. :shrug:

Also only me and Jeb held ourselves to one song per artist - Doug will have higher ranked Who songs coming up.

“Dead Flowers” is my favorite drunken sing along song at the end of the night with a bunch of dudes strumming acoustic guitars - or it was when life was much simpler and hanging out with friends was much easier.
My best experience with Dead Flowers doesn't involve the Stones either.

I'm sure I've talked about this before, but in the late 90s and early 00s, my buddy and I would take a yearly trip to LA. We always hit the Cat Club on the Sunset Strip, owned by Slim Jim Phantom of the Stray Cats. The house band was called The Starf***ers and played two sets of rock/glam classics every Thursday night. The band rotated through a bunch of members over the years and you never knew who would show up at the bar or sit in with the band (ex: had a long convo on parenting with Bobby Blotzer from Ratt in the smoking alley in 2006). On one particular trip, the band was comprised of Slim Jim, John Corabi (from the Crue), Gilby Clark (GnR), Eric Dover (Imperial Drag, Jellyfish), and Yogi (Buckcherry). They spotted Joey Fatone from N'Sync at the bar and invited him to do a couple of songs. He took the lead on Dead Flowers. Only in LA.

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd (rockaction): Aside from it being gorgeous, it's a perfect song for a great set of speakers. So much going on in each channel to start, then it just soars.
This one passes my "Would Otis Redding Have Sung It?" test. There are several Floyd songs I'm ok with, but this is the only one I really love.
I don’t use Otis Redding for my test. I use Cartman.

I think Athena is a great song. :shrug:
I do, too. It's stripped down, so those who are into The Who's usual bombast may find it week. I do not.
It’s ok but there’s nothing distinctively Who about it. It could have been done by anyone. I feel this way about most of It’s Hard (though Athena is better than most of the rest of it.)
It's not like By Numbers and Who Are You were any great shakes using the old formula, though. Both of those LPs sound like a cover band trying to sound like The Who. Of course, Townsend was sabotaging his band's albums for his own stuff in the early 80s so it's not like "Athena" was an all-timer. It just sounded fresher to me than anything they'd done since Quadrophenia.

This one passes my "Would Otis Redding Have Sung It?" test. There are several Floyd songs I'm ok with, but this is the only one I really love.
I don’t use Otis Redding for my test. I use Cartman.
No doubt in my mind, tim :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread