What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

She played keyboards sometimes too when it wasn't too technical, but like it or not, she was part of the band.
Not only that, the album Ram is credited to the duo Paul & Linda McCartney -- neither a Wings record nor a Paul solo project. There are at least two songs from that album that would be credible selections in this exercise, but Linda M's presence renders them ineligible.

Exact same thing with Double Fantasy -- more's the pity.

Okay, I haven't read everything on here but if Wings is "wholly ineligible" because Linda McCartney tapped a tambourine on her thigh (out of rhythm) and mouthed words (off key) - both of which were clearly edited out of the final song releases - thinly veiling her true purpose of acting as a pit bull to keep the mindless groupies at bay then I must file an official protest right here and now. The entire previous sentence may be tongue-in-cheek but I am a little bummed b/c I was born and grew up in the "Wings" era of the fab 4 when it was actually just 1/4 of the fab 4. I still have many fond memories of hearing "band on the run", "listen to what the man said" among many other 70's tunes blaring on the crappy PA system at the local public swimming pool.

"Listen to What the Man Said" wouldn't be eligible anyway due to Joe English, who ironically is American.

But yeah, Linda makes the rest of the catalog ineligible. I don't like it either. I'm just listening to what the man said.

The album Double Fantasy is credited to John Lennon and Yoko Ono - but each song is credited to either John Lennon or Yoko Ono.
Obviously the Yoko songs are not eligible (for many many reasons) but are the John songs eligible?

No, since the album is credited to both of them. There are some Lennon solo works that are eligible, such as Imagine and Walls and Bridges. We'll have to cover the others in our catch-all countdown.

Today we said goodbye to Cassidy. A few months ago he was diagnosed with lymphoma and a tumor in his intestines was spotted. On Friday it became apparent that the tumor was starting to prevent his body from doing certain things it’s supposed to do, so we made the call. A hospice service that provides in-home euthanasia came out this morning. Cassidy became our cat after my father-in-law passed away, and now they are reunited.
I'm sorry for your loss, Pip. Cassidy was lucky to have such a loving family. :heart: 🐾 🌈

Yes, what simey said.

She played keyboards sometimes too when it wasn't too technical, but like it or not, she was part of the band.
Not only that, the album Ram is credited to the duo Paul & Linda McCartney -- neither a Wings record nor a Paul solo project. There are at least two songs from that album that would be credible selections in this exercise, but Linda M's presence renders them ineligible.

I know Linda is credited on the cover of RAM, but on his first album she is not. She does sing harmonies, but I didn't think it was perceived as a duo album like RAM.

I have a list in already, plus a "last five out." :lol:
I was off work this week and I needed something to take my mind off things because I don't think we're going to have Cassidy for much longer.

Aw, I'm so sorry. It had sounded like Cassidy had been doing better.
He had been. But these things can turn quickly. On Friday they did.
Today we said goodbye to Cassidy. A few months ago he was diagnosed with lymphoma and a tumor in his intestines was spotted. On Friday it became apparent that the tumor was starting to prevent his body from doing certain things it’s supposed to do, so we made the call. A hospice service that provides in-home euthanasia came out this morning. Cassidy became our cat after my father-in-law passed away, and now they are reunited.
So sorry for your loss Pip. Pets are the best and it's heart-wrenchingly painful when we lose them, but now Cassidy is no longer suffering.

I know Linda is credited on the cover of RAM, but on his first album she is not. She does sing harmonies, but I didn't think it was perceived as a duo album like RAM.

Correct. McCartney, McCartney II and loads of others are just Paul credits. Ram and some of the singles were credited to both in order to avoid some of the royalties owed to Northern Songs, but mostly those were just writing credits. Unfortunately Ram itself is credited to both as "artists" as well. Thanks to Doug and simey for pointing these out, in case people were unaware.

Correct. McCartney, McCartney II and loads of others are just Paul credits. Ram and some of the singles were credited to both in order to avoid some of the royalties owed to Northern Songs, but mostly those were just writing credits. Unfortunately Ram itself is credited to both as "artists" as well. Thanks to Doug and simey for pointing these out, in case people were unaware.

We're so sorry if we caused you any pain

:lol: I think you've stolen @zamboni 's shtick.

:lol: I think you've stolen @zamboni 's shtick.
I can’t take credit - we’ve all been doing this for years. Keeps these threads lighthearted. 🙂

I do find 95% of the new music I listen to is American which makes sense since the newer music I listen to mostly falls within, country, alt-country, Americana - my list may not contain any post-2000 music at all this time.

I'm in the exact same boat here, minus the country part of what you said.

I don't think my list will be nearly as interesting as my US one.

Yeah, no problem here getting to 50+ artists... limiting to one song per artist, I think it will be easier to cut down to 36 than it was for me with American artists.
There's a few artists I simply cannot limit myself to one song only, so I'm not even gonna try.

The problem with that for me would be if not just one, why not 5 or 10 or 15 from some of my favorites that qualify for this contest. For me, that would make my list less interesting, and probably also harder to make.

Yeah, no problem here getting to 50+ artists... limiting to one song per artist, I think it will be easier to cut down to 36 than it was for me with American artists.
There's a few artists I simply cannot limit myself to one song only, so I'm not even gonna try.

The problem with that for me would be if not just one, why not 5 or 10 or 15 from some of my favorites that qualify for this contest. For me, that would make my list less interesting, and probably also harder to make.
I have so many choices that I don't think it's a problem. If a second pick from an artist pushes out one of the other picks, it probably needs to be there.

I just let Binky know that I'm instituting a new procedure for list submissions. It will be like going to the airport, where they ask a series of questions before you can proceed. Here are my questions, which I will pose to you when your list comes in:

1. Have you or anyone you know checked your list against the ineligibles and partial ineligibles listed in post #3? If not, please do so before returning to this PM.
If yes to #1:
2. Have you or anyone you know checked your list to ensure it is in song title then artist name format?
If yes to #2:
3. Have you or anyone you know checked your list to ensure that your favorite of the 31 songs is at the top of your list, and the songs are in descending order of preference from there?

Once I have an affirmative response to these questions, I will vet your list and issue you a boarding pass. :)

Last edited:
looks like I may need to replace one after further review ...I kept with the first McCartney solo album prior to Wings - he did "Maybe I'm Amazed" by himself - except the ONLY other person mentioned is Linda on backing vocals. The wiki album description states she supplies backing vocals on some songs

**** - so this is ineligible eh?

looks like I may need to replace one after further review ...I kept with the first McCartney solo album prior to Wings - he did "Maybe I'm Amazed" by himself - except the ONLY other person mentioned is Linda on backing vocals. The wiki album description states she supplies backing vocals on some songs

**** - so this is ineligible eh?
No, because the album is just credited to Paul McCartney. Linda is a "session player" or "guest musician" for those purposes.

I just let Binky know that I'm instituting a new procedure for list submissions. It will be like going to the airport, where they ask a series of questions before you can proceed. Here are my questions, which I will pose to you when your list comes in:

1. Have you or anyone you know checked your list against the ineligibles and partial ineligibles listed in post #3? If not, please do so before returning to this PM.
If yes to #1:
2. Have you or anyone you know checked your list to ensure it is in song title then artist name format?
If yes to #2:
3. Have you or anyone you know checked your list to ensure that your your favorite of the 31 songs is at the top of your list, and the songs are in descending order of preference from there?

Once I have an affirmative response to these questions, I will vet your list and issue you a boarding pass. :)
I quit

I'm finding some of these bands much more difficult to vet than I did in the other thread.

I have found this, as well. Band membership can be fairly malleable. I'm still reeling at the Omar Hakim/Dire Straits thing.

And it's probably my imagination but after some preliminary research into several bands, it seems like it's more common for British acts (vs American acts) to have a Billy Preston or Nicky Hopkins hanging around as a quasi-member. Sometimes, Wikipedia and/or the liner notes helps make the call -- but sometimes they don't.

I'm finding some of these bands much more difficult to vet than I did in the other thread.

I have found this, as well. Band membership can be fairly malleable. I'm still reeling at the Omar Hakim/Dire Straits thing.

And it's probably my imagination but after some preliminary research into several bands, it seems like it's more common for British acts (vs American acts) to have a Billy Preston or Nicky Hopkins hanging around as a quasi-member. Sometimes, Wikipedia and/or the liner notes helps make the call -- but sometimes they don't.
You’d think after what happened in 1776, they’d do it on their own, but they still love us.

I'm up to 58 songs/bands. I might be going the wrong way.

I'm pretty much in the same boat except Jethro Tull isn't in it with me.

I thought my US songs list was pretty chalky (for me) but I somehow ended up in the bottom quartile of falguy's chalkiness index, finishing lower than both ditkaburgers and Oliver Humanzee.

Based on the direction my British Isles list is heading, I'll probably finish even lower this time around. Most of my favorite (favourite) UK songs are ones that I have a deep irrational personal bond with. My longist currently contains very few of the Classic Rock behemoths that will likely top this poll. They'd rank higher if we were doing favorite albums but the songs I love are much more idiosyncratic.

Robyn Hitchcock news:

The band "Robyn Hitchcock & the Venus 3" are out due to Peter Buck's presence.

More distressing to me, Underwater Moonlight by the Soft Boys is out due to Matthew Seligman (RIP) being born in Cyprus. I've been desperately searching for information on his parentage so that he will be eligible, but I'm coming up empty so far. Their first album, before he joined the band, is eligible. If anyone can find anything on his parents, I'd appreciate that.

I'm actually a bit shocked so many people are having trouble coming up with British artists/songs. The history of rock/pop music is littered with British artists. I figured people would have the opposite reaction - too much to chose from.
Same.

After just one pass through the 4 countries I have songs from 79 different artists that I’d consider for my top 31.

Gonna have a tough time cutting it down.

I'm actually a bit shocked so many people are having trouble coming up with British artists/songs. The history of rock/pop music is littered with British artists. I figured people would have the opposite reaction - too much to chose from.

I may exclude some of the biggest rock acts in music history, and I'm usually sadly chalky. Otoh, it would be easy to pick three acts for 31 songs. Brits and friends includes several Tom Pettys. For me that just makes choosing the song problematic. Then there's my decades old addiction to the alt rock, new wave, post punk, glam, synth 2nd invasion.

Vetting is annoying. Is there a secret or we all just cut and paste each name into google and see what we find? Howwzzz you have patience for this?

Users who are viewing this thread