What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (3 Viewers)

Transmission - Joy Division - I was oblivious to New Order until the Pretty in Pink soundtrack and probably didn’t learn about their origins until a couple of years later. Once I finally heard Joy Division, I fell hard.

Depeche Mode were my sixth band but they mysteriously missed the cut.
Honest to God, I'd never heard this song until just now. I kind of glossed over them thinking they were a b-game Depeche Mode. Pretty sure the lead singer is the pops of the FountainesDC lead singer.

Lucky day.

edit: I love this song.

Last edited:
Mrs. Eephus: Valerie - Mark Ronson ft. Amy Winehouse
I'm sorry this has become so controversial in this thread because it's a terrific song. It's one of Mrs. Eephus' karaoke choices which is great except for all the repeating "valeries" for the last 40 seconds of the track.

The hilarious thing about Ronson's potenial Ace Award is that he doesn't even play on "Valerie". He's credited with playing a variety of instruments on most of the album tracks but his contribution is limited to "recording assistance" on Valerie and two other songs.

@ditkaburgers: Dance Wiv Me (Radio Edit) - Dizzee Rascal, Calvin Harris, Chrom3
ditkaburgers is a big fan of British television shows. She came of age during a time where UK shows were uploaded to YouTube almost immediately and stayed up longer than they do in the current days of better detection of copyrighted content.

She says "Dance Wiv Me" was a staple of nightclub scenes on 2000s shows like Skins, The Inbetweeners and Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging. It was another one of those songs where it was tough for her to track down the artist and title in the days before Shazam.

Dizzee Rascal was one of the first UK Rap/Grime artists to make it really big in the 21st century. He won the Mercury Prize and had a bunch of big UK hits. This song was the first of his to reach #1 on the charts.

Eephus: Ever Fallen in Love (With Someone You Shouldn't've) – Buzzcocks
There were times earlier in my life where Punk was more important to me but this song is the closest thing to Punk to make my 31. As legend has it, the band was inspired by an early Sex Pistols gig and quickly became part of the burgeoning scene in Manchester. They embodied the energy and DIY spirit of Punk but their music always tended more toward Indie Pop than many of their contemporaries.

"Ever Fallen in Love" is one of Buzzcocks' best loved songs. It's fast and clever and uses the word "spurn" in its first line. An all-star tribute version of the song was recorded for charity after the death of famed BBC DJ John Peel featuring a bunch of folks familiar to this thread including Elton, Plant, Daltrey, Hooky and Gilmour.

Half A Person - The Smiths: “Call me morbid, call me pale.” I can identify with this. The Smiths are my all-time favorite band and I never even knew about them till a month-or-so after they broke up. Shame that Morrissey is such a knob. There’s a local Smiths cover band that does one show per year - it’s such an overwhelmingly positive experience that my one friend scheduled his wedding around the show. Would likely rather see them than an actual reunited Smiths.

Happened to be listening to this song right when I came to your post. Loving it!! (the song, not the post) (well, I do love the post, too)

Transmission - Joy Division - I was oblivious to New Order until the Pretty in Pink soundtrack and probably didn’t learn about their origins until a couple of years later. Once I finally heard Joy Division, I fell hard.

Honest to God, I'd never heard this song until just now. I kind of glossed over them thinking they were a b-game Depeche Mode. Pretty sure the lead singer is the pops of the FountainesDC lead singer.

Lucky day.

In the movie Control the actors all performed their instruments and the guy playing Curtis just nails it and the scene is intense.

I believe this is the actual performance that's based on.

Last edited:
My Idiots #6

Scooter
Eminence Front – The Who

Doug
Crazy Love – Van Morrison
Love these choices!

I own the song I chose today, "Delicate" by Damien Rice, because, for the second day in a row, I chose an artist that no one else selected. :kicksrock: This is the last song I'll own, though.
I dug this song. It reminded me of my wife and songs she likes. Very sexy.

Lucky day.

You need to take a dive into Joy Division. I won't spoil but they have some hard ****. Here is the song I took from them

I'm halfway to five Slade songs in a row.
Made it to ten, with room to spare.
I did kind of did a deep dive on Slade for this thing, cuz when I was a kid, I realized Quiet Riot covered em. I thought they were pretty cool. They did not age well for me. For some reason they seemed heavier to me when I was a kid. Now they just seem like gimmicky brit pop.

I haven't been terribly into the earlier picks, but I enjoyed "Run Runaway" today.

@MAC_32

Doug
Moondance is better than Astral Weeks…I think.

I know the popular stance is that Astral Weeks is his best, but I prefer Moondance as well. Every song is a 10, except the ones that are a 13 or 14.
While I respect you both and your musical knowledge, I respectfully disagree with both of you on this take.

Both great albums, though.
Speaking of
While I respect you both and your musical knowledge, I respectfully disagree with both of you on this take.

Yeah, no doubt about that. And I do think most people would agree with you.
I’m not so sure. Moondance is pretty great.

@MAC_32

Doug
Moondance is better than Astral Weeks…I think.

I know the popular stance is that Astral Weeks is his best, but I prefer Moondance as well. Every song is a 10, except the ones that are a 13 or 14.

Speaking of

Yeah, no doubt about that. And I do think most people would agree with you.
I’m not so sure. Moondance is pretty great.
One of my daughters is studying at the University of Copenhagen and lives in the Vanløse district. She takes that Vanløse Stairway he wrote about every day. Another favorite from VM.

I’ve only listened to Astral Weeks twice. I’m not sure why but I just don’t get into it. It’s obviously objectively great, but it seems like a mess to me.

Though I will say the Van song I chose (I don’t think that’s giving anything away) isn’t from Astral Weeks…or Moondance for that matter.

Twenty-Seven-Point Selections:

Pip’s Invitation:

Where The Streets Have No Name -- U2
(duplicate – third AND fourth votes today)

New Binky the Doormat:

Yours Is No Disgrace - Yes
(duplicate – second vote)

worrierking:

Meet On The Ledge - Fairport Convention
(new artist but see below)

titusbramble:

I Wanna Be Adored - The Stone Roses
(duplicate – fourth vote)

simey:

Running To Stand Still - U2
(new song)

Just Win Baby:

While My Guitar Gently Weeps – The Beatles

Don Quixote:

Karma Police - Radiohead
(new song)

MAC_32:

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me (Live) - Elton John
(duplicate – third vote)

timschochet:

Lost In The Supermarket - The Clash
(new song)

Yankee23Fan:

Hey You – Pink Floyd
(new song)

Hawks64:

Excitable – Def Leppard
(new song)

jwb:

Every Picture Tells A Story – Rod Stewart

DrIanMalcolm:

Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor
(duplicate – third vote)

Dr. Octopus:

Just Like Heaven - The Cure

KarmaPolice:

Angel – Massive Attack
(duplicate – third vote)

shuke:

Abbey Road Medley – The Beatles

Manster:

Something - The Beatles
(new song)

scorchy:

I Found That Essence Rare - Gang of Four
(duplicate – third vote)

Sullie:

Paint It, Black - Rolling Stones
(duplicate – fifth AND sixth votes today)

Andy Dufresne:

Where The Streets Have No Name - U2
(duplicate – third AND fourth votes today)

Mister CIA:

In My Life - The Beatles
(new song)

Mrs. Rannous:

Desire - U2
(new song)

higgins:

Paranoid Android - Radiohead

The Dreaded Marco:

Blue Monday - New Order
(new song)

simsarge:

You Wear It Well - Rod Stewart
(new song)

Mt. Man:

Us And Them - Pink Floyd
(new song)

landrys hat:

Words - Doves
(new song)

Westerberg:

Common People – Pulp
(duplicate – third vote)

Eephus:

Who Knows Where The Time Goes? - Fairport Convention
(new song based on artist being chosen above)

rockaction:

New Rose - The Damned
(new song)

falguy:

Sultans Of Swing - Dire Straits
(duplicate – third vote)

Hov34:

Optimistic – Radiohead
(new song)

zamboni:

Sky Pilot - Eric Burdon & The Animals
(new song)

@falguy , please just group this with "The Animals". No need for a separate Eric Burdon entry, either.

Doug B:

How Soon Is Now? – The Smiths
(duplicate – fifth vote)

Ilov80s:

When The Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin
(duplicate – fifth vote)

Val Rannous:

Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne
(duplicate – fifth vote)

Chaos34:

The Man Who Sold The World - David Bowie
(new song)

Chaz McNulty:

Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler

Zegras11:

Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin

AAABatteries:

Paint It, Black - The Rolling Stones
(duplicate – fifth AND sixth votes today)

Oliver Humanzee:

This Time Tomorrow - The Kinks
(new song)

Mrs. Eephus:

Cuts You Up - Peter Murphy
(new artist)

ditkaburgers:

Never Enough - One Direction
(new artist)

cosjobs:

Sunny Afternoon - The Kinks
(new song)