What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Giants draft preview (1 Viewer)

BBI is one of the best team specific sites out there.

Way too long to paste here but a good read nonetheless

http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/draft/drpros06.htm
Thanks for the link. It was a good read.Accoring to them the Giants 1st 3 picks will be all defense

1. Gabe Watson DT Michigan

2. Ashton Youboty CB Ohio State

3. Abdul Hodge LB Iowa
By the avatar I assume your a fan of the G-men. You might also like their roster analysis pagehttp://www.bigblueinteractive.com/pos.htm

It's about as in depth as you can be for one team. If FBG were to do something similar with every NFL team I'd be :wub:

I will definately check this out. Man, if the Giants go heavy D in this draft, that side of the ball might be one of the better/best in the league. Already we have the probable best DE tandem (not to mention some depth with Tuck), what is now a very very good LB core with Lavar joining Pierce and company - the LBs were actually pretty good last year until their utter lack of depth destroyed the unit - and a significantly improved D backfield.

Really a shame that Clancy was allowed to sign elsewhere, which is why DT would make sense early in the draft.

BBI is one of the best team specific sites out there.

Way too long to paste here but a good read nonetheless

http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/draft/drpros06.htm
Thanks for the link. It was a good read.Accoring to them the Giants 1st 3 picks will be all defense

1. Gabe Watson DT Michigan

2. Ashton Youboty CB Ohio State

3. Abdul Hodge LB Iowa
That looks like a great draft but I've seen a lot of mocks the last few weeks everyone of these guys was taken in the first round in one or two of them. Watson will be there in round 1 but they'll be pretty lucky if Youboty will be there at the bottom of round 2 and darn near impossible to get Hodge in round 3. The acquisition of Arrington should mean the G-men will pass on Carpenter or Ryans in the first though.

no chance they shock everyone and take Maroney, D Williams, White , Addai in the first round? just fishing, I know, but Tiki isn't getting any younger..this might be the highest the G-Men will draft in coming years, with the emergence of Eli and the signing of Arrington,the team will only get better! Jacobs isn't likely to be the #1 guy when Tiki finally hangs it up..we're going to need some RB depth at some point..if we lose Tiki this year, how much faith do you have in Jacobs carrying the load?

while thats an unlikely draft scenario, they do need to fill out the secondary with good young talent...Accorsi missed the boat completely on Shaun Williams, Allen/Peterson...

no chance they shock everyone and take Maroney, D Williams, White , Addai in the first round? just fishing, I know, but Tiki isn't getting any younger..this might be the highest the G-Men will draft in coming years, with the emergence of Eli and the signing of Arrington,the team will only get better! Jacobs isn't likely to be the #1 guy when Tiki finally hangs it up..we're going to need some RB depth at some point..if we lose Tiki this year, how much faith do you have in Jacobs carrying the load?

while thats an unlikely draft scenario, they do need to fill out the secondary with good young talent...Accorsi missed the boat completely on Shaun Williams, Allen/Peterson...
Injuries hampered Williams and Peterson was quickly becoming one of the best cover guys in the league when he got hurt. Allen sucks out loud.I'd say he got 2 out of 3 correct.

Unless someone who is REALLY high on their list drops, I don't see it. Today's NFL is about winning NOW. Always, now. You have cap to consider and can not carry dead weight.A RB is one of the positions that is most easily filled by the draft in two ways - (1) 2-3 rd players and even second day RBs often make a big impace and (2) that impact is often felt in their first year. You dont "develop" a RB - you draft them and plug them in.

So, if they use a 1st rounder on a RB, at the least, they do not utilize that pick for one year, if not for two... why not wait, and draft a RB when tiki does retire and not have the dollars allocated to a drafted player sitting on the bench?

Secondly, the Giants are getting very, very close to being a premier team. Another year for Eli and the offense (Plax going into his second year with the team/QB/system etc) and a vastly improved defense plus a very solid special teams group mean this team is a championship contender. Maybe not an elite team, but at least in that mix.

It makes far more sense to take a real need - THIS YEAR - and draft accordingly. So, look for that DT first, another CB, possibly another LB and my hope is a solid OT that needs a year or two of seasoning drops and the Giants find a replacement for Luke Penalttigout as that is a position where you might find a diamond in the rough that is not yet ready to start (as opposed to drafting a RB with a 1-3 rder who could come right in and start).

This way, you draft for the NOW when the team is so close, and worry about replacing RB if/when you need it in one or two years. Just makes no sense to waste that pick nor the cap space on a RB when you have one of the leagues top 2-3 backs already.

Unless someone who is REALLY high on their list drops, I don't see it. Today's NFL is about winning NOW. Always, now. You have cap to consider and can not carry dead weight.

A RB is one of the positions that is most easily filled by the draft in two ways - (1) 2-3 rd players and even second day RBs often make a big impace and (2) that impact is often felt in their first year. You dont "develop" a RB - you draft them and plug them in.

So, if they use a 1st rounder on a RB, at the least, they do not utilize that pick for one year, if not for two... why not wait, and draft a RB when tiki does retire and not have the dollars allocated to a drafted player sitting on the bench?
I don't think they should draft a RB but a lllong while back Tiki said it looked like they would in a radio interview. I'd swear there was a thread here, maybe you remember?They have 3(Jacobs, Ward, and practice squad guy) bruiser backs and no one that can fill the Tiki role. They could carry the load but I think it'd be a dramatic adjustment to the O. Just in case, I would figure they could go with a "scat back"(for lack of a better term and sorry to insult Tiki but...just a term) in this draft. Like you said they're close to a premier team so I figure they'd have to keep their momentum going if Tiki gets hurt.

Would you have a prob with them drafting that kind of runningback?

Unless someone who is REALLY high on their list drops, I don't see it.  Today's NFL is about winning NOW.  Always, now.  You have cap to consider and can not carry dead weight.

A RB is one of the positions that is most easily filled by the draft in two ways - (1) 2-3 rd players and even second day RBs often make a big impace and (2) that impact is often felt in their first year.  You dont "develop" a RB - you draft them and plug them in.

I don't think they should draft a RB but a lllong while back Tiki said it looked like they would in a radio interview. I'd swear there was a thread here, maybe you remember?They have 3(Jacobs, Ward, and practice squad guy) bruiser backs and no one that can fill the Tiki role. They could carry the load but I think it'd be a dramatic adjustment to the O. Just in case, I would figure they could go with a "scat back"(for lack of a better term and sorry to insult Tiki but...just a term) in this draft. Like you said they're close to a premier team so I figure they'd have to keep their momentum going if Tiki gets hurt.

Would you have a prob with them drafting that kind of runningback?
I do not think they need a RB this year. Especially early in the draft. DT, LB, OT and CB are musts. If they can trade out of the first and get a couple of more picks, maybe they can get that speedy WR too. They got Diehl late a few years ago and he has been real solid :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread