What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Giants info from a trainer (1 Viewer)

gman8343

What would Lemmy do?
So… my father-in-law gets together with one of the Giants trainers every so often and I implore him to shoot some fantasy related questions his way. I think they both get a kick out of humoring me.

Nothing spectacular here, and this isn’t a coach, it’s just a trainer, so the info may not be how all Giants brass feel, but it may serve as some useful info.

Here’s last year’s post, where my FIL didn’t get time to ask about Victor Cruz, which turned out to be one heck of a bummer:

2011 Post

So here’s this season’s conversation:

On Eli: They will continue to pass. For a couple of years now the trainer has said this is Eli’s team and they have completely turned the reigns over to him in terms of slinging the rock. 4000+ yards should be a lock – they will certainly try to have a more effective running game but Eli will still be tossing the ball. Thinks Eli is going to cement his claim to the HOF in the next 3 seasons – he’s that good now.

Ahmad Bradshaw - he really is a favorite of the Giants. Drafting of Wilson does not mean Bradshaw will be replaced at all. He should get the most touches if healthy… the *if healthy* thing is something of a concern, and the Giants always like to have solid depth at RB, hence the drafting of Wilson early. His take for fantasy is that Bradshaw will still have essentially the same role, long term depends on Wilson’s development, Bradshaw’s health, etc.

David Wilson – They love his homerun potential. Will have to earn his playing time but that shouldn’t be hard. Bradshaw will still have the lion’s share but Wilson should have value as they will want to keep Bradshaw fresh (and healthy). I had my FIL ask if there was a chance that Wilson would simply blow Bradshaw away this year and assume the #1 gig - he said anything's possible, but Bradshaw's health is probably the most important factor in how the touches will broken down.

Nicks – they’re not concerned about his various injuries – says Nicks is a “fast healer and hard worker”, so when he gets dinged he doesn’t usually miss much time.

Cruz – if only he’d answered this question last offseason… but looking back, he said he wouldn’t have been surprised if Cruz was cut early in the season, and he wasn’t surprised that he broke Giants receiving records. Everyone on the staff knew Cruz had tons of talent but the light hadn’t quite come on the last couple of seasons, and the Giants didn’t quite trust him. That all changed last year - Cruz "gets it" and is going to be a huge part of their plans going forward – he’s a very talented WR and the perfect complement to Nicks. Long term, they hope to resign him and Cruz seems to genuinely want to stay, but you never know how these things go.

Predicts both Cruz and Nicks to be over 1200 yds if healthy, with close to or more than double digit TDs for each. Basically gushed about both along with Eli (could be a bit of homerism in here).

Rueben Randle – should be a strong replacement for Manningham. Has all the necessary skills to be a productive receiver, but like Wilson will have to earn his time. Probably won’t have a ton of work this season as it will mainly be the Nicks/Cruz show, though the #3 can certainly be productive at times in the Giants offense – still, will have to earn the #3 spot.

M. Bennett. They’re cautiously optimistic that he can be a legit receiving TE. Concentration is an issue and they hope to fix that – they also want him to be a blocker in the rushing game. Supposedly Giants were bummed when Jake Ballard got snatched by NE – he is their kind of guy. Tough, willing to do anything, team player etc. Jury still out on whether Bennett can be that, but they’re going to try.

D – this should be a fierce unit again. JPP is simply a force of nature, and trainer expects them to be a dominant D barring injuries. Having said that, they play in a potentially high scoring division with the Eagles and Cowboys, and there could be plenty plenty of shootouts. (this was before Thomas’s ACL injury, which obviously could hurt a bit).

That's pretty much it.

So a guy who works for the team is very big on everybody on the team? Career years all around!

Got it!

:P

Kidding... thanks for the post. I'm really torn on Bradshaw this year... could provide good value if he holds up and keeps the role.

So a guy who works for the team is very big on everybody on the team? Career years all around!Got it! :P Kidding... thanks for the post. I'm really torn on Bradshaw this year... could provide good value if he holds up and keeps the role.
Yeah, there's nothing really groundbreaking about this info, but I figured it may be a bit helpful as I've heard some people suggesting the Giants will go back to a running team, which doesn't seem to be the case at this point. And certainly the trainer appears to be wearing rose colored glasses for the season, which I guess should be expected.

I just think it would be funny if this is what is really happening:

gman's dad: Hey, he asked again.

trainer: Seriously?

gman's dad: Yeah, sorry. First Dungeons and Dragons, now this "fantasy" crap. I just need him to move out of the basement by the time he hits 40.

trainer: Well, we can cover it after some beers, or you can just run with it.

gman's dad: What do you mean?

trainer: Just make up some stuff...like Bradshaw is looking good, Nicks is a hard worker so don't really worry about the injuries...that kind of stuff.

gman's dad: Really?

trainer: Of course not. If Nicks is made of glass, Bradshaw is made of paper mache...neither of those guys are going to be on the team in a year.

gman's dad: No, I meant do you think he would buy it?

trainer: Of course. Billy over there just connected with him in the personals section of Craigslist and we are going to meet him in a room in the Windjammer Motor Inn in Seaside in about two hours. I think he believes he is meeting Snooki or something.

gman's dad: Alright, crack open another one for me...

I just think it would be funny if this is what is really happening:gman's dad: Hey, he asked again.trainer: Seriously?gman's dad: Yeah, sorry. First Dungeons and Dragons, now this "fantasy" crap. I just need him to move out of the basement by the time he hits 40.trainer: Well, we can cover it after some beers, or you can just run with it.gman's dad: What do you mean?trainer: Just make up some stuff...like Bradshaw is looking good, Nicks is a hard worker so don't really worry about the injuries...that kind of stuff.gman's dad: Really?trainer: Of course not. If Nicks is made of glass, Bradshaw is made of paper mache...neither of those guys are going to be on the team in a year.gman's dad: No, I meant do you think he would buy it?trainer: Of course. Billy over there just connected with him in the personals section of Craigslist and we are going to meet him in a room in the Windjammer Motor Inn in Seaside in about two hours. I think he believes he is meeting Snooki or something. gman's dad: Alright, crack open another one for me...
:lmao:

No mention of Jernigan? Someone isn't asking the right questions (like Cruz last year, ask beyond the obvous...find the golden nuggets).

I just think it would be funny if this is what is really happening:gman's dad: Hey, he asked again.trainer: Seriously?gman's dad: Yeah, sorry. First Dungeons and Dragons, now this "fantasy" crap. I just need him to move out of the basement by the time he hits 40.trainer: Well, we can cover it after some beers, or you can just run with it.gman's dad: What do you mean?trainer: Just make up some stuff...like Bradshaw is looking good, Nicks is a hard worker so don't really worry about the injuries...that kind of stuff.gman's dad: Really?trainer: Of course not. If Nicks is made of glass, Bradshaw is made of paper mache...neither of those guys are going to be on the team in a year.gman's dad: No, I meant do you think he would buy it?trainer: Of course. Billy over there just connected with him in the personals section of Craigslist and we are going to meet him in a room in the Windjammer Motor Inn in Seaside in about two hours. I think he believes he is meeting Snooki or something. gman's dad: Alright, crack open another one for me...
:lmao: 68% chance of this being exactly how it goes down.

No mention of Jernigan? Someone isn't asking the right questions (like Cruz last year, ask beyond the obvous...find the golden nuggets).
Cruz was on my list of questions last year but he didn't get to it. :shrug:Jernigan wasn't this year -- maybe I'm biased but I don't see him as a difference maker at this level. I don't view him as anything more than a journeyman type talent who'll probably be the 3rd/4th WR on a team at best... of course I could be wrong though, as evidenced by this article touting his impressive performance so far in camp: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/07/jerrel-jernigan-new-york-giants/1#.UBlLn7Se4lo

Cruz was on my list of questions last year but he didn't get to it. :shrug:Jernigan wasn't this year -- maybe I'm biased but I don't see him as a difference maker at this level. I don't view him as anything more than a journeyman type talent who'll probably be the 3rd/4th WR on a team at best... of course I could be wrong though, as evidenced by this article touting his impressive performance so far in camp: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2012/07/jerrel-jernigan-new-york-giants/1#.UBlLn7Se4lo
Yeah, could go either way but as an outsider looking in (not a fan of the giants), i can REALLY see him being exactly what Steve Smith was a few seasons ago, working out of the slot. I never thought Smith was the greatest talent, but he was top 6-7 in my PPR that year the way he worked the slot. Would love to see some info come around with him..And thanks for the post. Always nice to hear news from the backyard.

:lmao: 68% chance of this being exactly how it goes down.
Just havin' some fun...appreciate the insight, BTW.

Yeah, could go either way but as an outsider looking in (not a fan of the giants), i can REALLY see him being exactly what Steve Smith was a few seasons ago, working out of the slot. I never thought Smith was the greatest talent, but he was top 6-7 in my PPR that year the way he worked the slot. Would love to see some info come around with him..And thanks for the post. Always nice to hear news from the backyard.
Smith is actually an interesting comparison. I agree that Smith was never elite, but he had (has?) terrific hands and ran great routes. If Jernigan can build that kind of trust from Eli maybe he could develop into a ppr option. IIRC Smith is a couple of inches taller than Jernigan, not that that's a big deal. I just sort of lumped Jernigan in with the group of "better NFL receivers than fantasy receivers", which may be selling him short.

If Eli/Cruz/Nicks and Co. can duplicate last years passing numbers that would be very impressive. Their schedule against top passing defenses is BRUTAL this year.

'gman8343 said:
'Shutout said:
It will be interesting to see how the Giants lineup if Jernigan is the 3rd WRI believe last year in 3 wideout sets that Cruz played out of the slot more than any of the other guys (Nicks and Manningham)

Great, great info. Thanks bud!

I'd be interested going forward in the #3 WR on the depth chart moving forward. With Nicks injury and an injury history, the #3 guy could step into a starting role this year and put up big numbers. Randle was drafted in the second and the Giants have a good track record on receivers. I'm guessing he's the guy but he's a rookie and the other wideouts are not going to lay down.

Could you keep an eye on the #3 guy and the development of Randle? Especially, I think the #3 guy would be a great buy low in the FBG subscriber contest given the potency of the Giants passing attack. Without injuries, could be a bye week fill-in. With injuries, could be a gold mine that easily outproduces an average #2 wideout for another team at a fraction of the cost.

Other #3 guys in similar situations to Randle are Cobb (GB), Moore (NO), Hernandez (TE/WR, NE), Caldwell (DEN), Brown (SD),Ogeltree (DAL), Avant (PHI),and Young (DET).

None of this really matters. The Eagles are going to win it all. Every Eagles fan has told me this. Like they do every year at this time. :football:

Everyone on the staff knew Cruz had tons of talent but the light hadn’t quite come on the last couple of seasons, and the Giants didn’t quite trust him.
Last season was only his second season. And he blew it up in preseason his rookie year before getting injured and put in IR. There really wasn't even time for the Giants to not trust him, unless it was as an undrafted rookie in the preseason of his rookie year, or directly preceding his breakout as a second year player.

Users who are viewing this thread