What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gillette Commercial (1 Viewer)

I am not sure I want to read Mr. Johnson's barticle in it's entirety but it would be unfair to dismiss out of hand so I'll get to it in a bit.
Oh, I read it.  I'll wait for you to read it and we can compare notes.  I'll just say I am baffled how jon would think this article is what I was talking about when I referred to a UCLA study that was done and published in May of 2018.

You don't like the ad. I'm okay with it and want to see more corporations take social stances, even ones I disagree with because if we're going to treat them as citizens under the law then they need to start playing the part.
There is a lot wrong with this. I'm legally a citizen, but last I checked there was no legal authority that said I had to act morally or take a stand on social stances. Since when do Citizens have to be either moral or socially upstanding. As citizens, all we really have to do is obey the law, not condemn those who do not or who do obey the law but do so in an amoral fashion. You've said this more than once. I have no legal or moral obligation to take a stand on any social issue. In fact, in my life, I try to avoid these as much as possible. And I wouldn't even be in this thread if they didn't make all grillers look like ### hats. 

Of course it is up for debate.  Most whites do not see any white previledge.  What they see are racial preferences in hiring and admittance.  The majority of the differences in wages can be explained by differences in education, experience, occupation/industry and other factors.
Most whites don't even understand what white privilege is as evidenced by your post.

There is a lot wrong with this. I'm legally a citizen, but last I checked there was no legal authority that said I had to act morally or take a stand on social stances. Since when do Citizens have to be either moral or socially upstanding. As citizens, all we really have to do is obey the law, not condemn those who do not or who do obey the law but do so in an amoral fashion. You've said this more than once. I have no legal or moral obligation to take a stand on any social issue. In fact, in my life, I try to avoid these as much as possible. And I wouldn't even be in this thread if they didn't make all grillers look like ### hats. 
That's completely fine, perhaps I should have not said "need", I am happy to amend it to "should".

But I think the fact that so many people choose to remain on the sidelines is a real problem.  Hoping that things will all turn out okay doesn't always work.

That's completely fine, perhaps I should have not said "need", I am happy to amend it to "should".

But I think the fact that so many people choose to remain on the sidelines is a real problem.  Hoping that things will all turn out okay doesn't always work.
I think it would be great if everybody was obligated to actively agree with my moral code.  That doesn’t seem like a great way to run a democracy though.

I think it would be great if everybody was obligated to actively agree with my moral code.  That doesn’t seem like a great way to run a democracy though.
I agree and I am not sure why you are directing that comment at me.

I think the problem is that so many people choose to jump in on every single issue and make a big damn deal about just about anything. We have celebrities telling everyone how they should live their lives. Well come on down and live my life. One where I have a mortgage and have to worry about my 401k and have to get up in the middle of the night with a sick kid rather than the nanny and have to buy used cars rather than paying cash for the latest and greatest from Germany. Or companies who decide that they need to tell me that men are such downers and we need to be better. Or just about anybody on any social media platform (and semi anonymous forums) who have to voice their opinions with such rage and vitriol that I dread going to parties with people that lean too far to either side of the political spectrum because after a few drinks, I know that they will forget about all manner of social tact just like if they were behind a screen and a keyboard and it will degenerate into verbal brawl. 

So, I think I'll just stand somewhere in the middle and try to avoid all that. Because, quite frankly, we need less people getting involved (e.g. railing against the other side for getting involved in whatever they are doing - and it doesn't really matter which side we are talking about because now lines are drawn in the sand just because the other side drew one) and more people just rolling with the punches and not getting offended at every perceived slight. I don't care if it's the thin skinned snow flakes, or the seemingly equally or more so thin skinned right who as just as offended as everyone else. 

I think the problem is that so many people choose to jump in on every single issue and make a big damn deal about just about anything. We have celebrities telling everyone how they should live their lives. Well come on down and live my life. One where I have a mortgage and have to worry about my 401k and have to get up in the middle of the night with a sick kid rather than the nanny and have to buy used cars rather than paying cash for the latest and greatest from Germany. Or companies who decide that they need to tell me that men are such downers and we need to be better. Or just about anybody on any social media platform (and semi anonymous forums) who have to voice their opinions with such rage and vitriol that I dread going to parties with people that lean too far to either side of the political spectrum because after a few drinks, I know that they will forget about all manner of social tact just like if they were behind a screen and a keyboard and it will degenerate into verbal brawl. 

So, I think I'll just stand somewhere in the middle and try to avoid all that. Because, quite frankly, we need less people getting involved (e.g. railing against the other side for getting involved in whatever they are doing - and it doesn't really matter which side we are talking about because now lines are drawn in the sand just because the other side drew one) and more people just rolling with the punches and not getting offended at every perceived slight. I don't care if it's the thin skinned snow flakes, or the seemingly equally or more so thin skinned right who as just as offended as everyone else. 
:goodposting:

I can't like this post enough.

I think I agree with literally everything you just wrote except for how you choose to respond to it.

We need more people with even tempers, voicing reasonable opinions who don't fall prey to the vitriolic he said/he said slap fights that always emerge. We need people willing to engage people with differing opinions to find common ground. We need people to call out those we agree with when they are wrong. We need people to help bridge this divide of Party above all else.  We need more of you, not less.

I think I agree with literally everything you just wrote except for how you choose to respond to it.

We need more people with even tempers, voicing reasonable opinions who don't fall prey to the vitriolic he said/he said slap fights that always emerge. We need people willing to engage people with differing opinions to find common ground. We need people to call out those we agree with when they are wrong. We need people to help bridge this divide of Party above all else.  We need more of you, not less.
I see what you are saying. And I think we are saying the same thing. Our country is deeply divided. Probably as much as any time in history other than during the civil war. Is it that so much of this discourse comes at us digitally? Over social media? During an awards show? During a late night monologue? During a commercial from a sexist company preaching about sexism (and hating on grillers)? Is it because we don't discuss the news with our coworkers at the water cooler or our neighbors on the front porch? Because we weren't the giant ##### bags that we are now when we had to interact face to face. The bigger problem is, I only see it getting worse. 

I see what you are saying. And I think we are saying the same thing. Our country is deeply divided. Probably as much as any time in history other than during the civil war. Is it that so much of this discourse comes at us digitally? Over social media? During an awards show? During a late night monologue? During a commercial from a sexist company preaching about sexism (and hating on grillers)? Is it because we don't discuss the news with our coworkers at the water cooler or our neighbors on the front porch? Because we weren't the giant ##### bags that we are now when we had to interact face to face. The bigger problem is, I only see it getting worse. 
I know. I don't know what to do about it so I am just working on being better myself and talking about that process openly. 

And grilling is for suckers.  Sous vide all day every day.

DAMMNIT!!! I was doing so well too.

And grilling is for suckers.  Sous vide all day every day.

DAMMNIT!!! I was doing so well too.
Nothing wrong with sous vide. Sous vide then into a cast iron pan. MmmmmmMmmmmm.

I agree with everything you said except for the the way in which you responded to that...

My neighbor (while I live in Oklahoma where most men have a slant to very conservative to extreme conservative) was talking to me about how the "white male" is under attack at the moment and we must collectively rise up against the forces which seek to minimize or destroy us.   At first, I thought he was joking as I spit out my beer I was drinking but the look on his face was not of someone joking around.  I made some awkward small talk trying to get away from him as I was staring at his open carry pistol that he had on his belt.  You never know when the "forces" will show up and you need to be ready.    White people get your gats ready. 

SHIZNITTTT said:
My neighbor (while I live in Oklahoma where most men have a slant to very conservative to extreme conservative) was talking to me about how the "white male" is under attack at the moment and we must collectively rise up against the forces which seek to minimize or destroy us.   At first, I thought he was joking as I spit out my beer I was drinking but the look on his face was not of someone joking around.  I made some awkward small talk trying to get away from him as I was staring at his open carry pistol that he had on his belt.  You never know when the "forces" will show up and you need to be ready.    White people get your gats ready. 
He was probably a bit more nervous than you the way you were staring at his, um, gun.  

Gillette gonna put their shaver where their mouth is & pull sponsorship of Patriot's since Bob Kraft clearly not influenced by the message in their commercial?

Users who are viewing this thread