What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Giovanni Bernard= Barry Sanders 2.0 (1 Viewer)

His breakout game has been coming for some time. The speed and athleticism has been obvious, last night he put it all together. Speed, Jukes, power..What we saw last night was magical and in 10 years will be looked at as his coming out party.

He's PPR RB1 from here on out.

Let's not go overboard. He's a very talented rookie making plays on somewhat limited touches.

That said, IF he can be this explosive on 20 touches a game, he could be a McCoy/Charles level producer. Very exciting guy to watch.

If anyone is close to Barry-esque its Lesean McCoy. He looks like barry when he moves and has the skill to do something over the course of a career.

He ran 100 yards on the 35 yard td. He does look great but bengal coaches are dipshi%s and will be loyal to a fault and trot BJGE out their every week.

He ran 100 yards on the 35 yard td. He does look great but bengal coaches are dipshi%s and will be loyal to a fault and trot BJGE out their every week.
LOL to that. Ive never seen a rb reverse field like he did last night since Barry. He's a rookie, only going to get better. Get him while you can, pay high if you must..

If anyone is close to Barry-esque its Lesean McCoy. He looks like barry when he moves and has the skill to do something over the course of a career.
I agree. There is no Barry 2.0 - and I don't think there ever will be. But McCoy reminds me of him, from time to time.

Yes, let's not go crazy here. The kid has a ton of talent /potential, but there are few Barry Sanders that ever have or ever will walk the earth.

And as mentioned, I doubt Gio will get the workload that Barry did - it's a different league/era.

His breakout game has been coming for some time. The speed and athleticism has been obvious, last night he put it all together. Speed, Jukes, power..What we saw last night was magical and in 10 years will be looked at as his coming out party.

He's PPR RB1 from here on out.
I imagine you never saw Barry play.

Sanders was a high volume runner right from the start. Bernard shares running duties with another runner. For Bernard to be appropriately compared to Sanders he would need to carry the ball 20x week in, week out.

Before we start comparing him to the best running back of all-time, let's try to convince the Bengals that he's the best running back on the team.

LOL to that. Ive never seen a rb reverse field like he did last night since Barry. He's a rookie, only going to get better. Get him while you can, pay high if you must..
Yes agreed... I have him in 1 out of 9 dynasty leagues... Will be sending out offers that seemed high last week in 8 leagues today to try to land him in at least 3-4 hopefully more..... :coffee:

Let's not go overboard. He's a very talented rookie making plays on somewhat limited touches.

That said, IF he can be this explosive on 20 touches a game, he could be a McCoy/Charles level producer. Very exciting guy to watch.
20? Gamebook has 9 rushes and 4 targets/receptions.

Keep doing it and you'll get more touches. They've had him in more on passing downs and he's protected pretty well, he'll get more and if BJGE gets hurt...

instead of trying to pick runningbacks that really he is nothing like just say he is GIO. He is a one of a kind, humble kid who has a great work ethic and drives his girlfriends mothers mini van to practice..... Are you kidding me? This guy seems like a complete person and player and really is like no one else I have ever seen, not westbrook, barry, mccoy, spiller,rice, mjd, none of them. He has a blend of all of them backs and mixed all into his own style. If you watch him run he seldom loses yardage or is not pushing pile forward. He could probably become a legit 15 td+ guy if the bengals gave him all the Redzone, goalline touches. We see Bjge is not able to do it and doesn't put fear in anyone. He had 3 cracks from the inch line and couldn't put it home. You mean to tell me GIO isn't gonna put the ball in from the inch line with 3 cracks???? I would bet my house on that and Im being serious. Something has to change quickly in Cinci to get this guy more involved. Im not saying Ignore Bjge but keep him at 10 touches Gio 20-22 touches... That's the ratio you want.

Sanders was a high volume runner right from the start. Bernard shares running duties with another runner. For Bernard to be appropriately compared to Sanders he would need to carry the ball 20x week in, week out.
That is out of His control, blame the coaching staff on that. These guys are like Todd haley. Did they take the todd haley, chan gailey, john fox, bruce arians school of how to treat rookie runningbacks?

While I would agree with most of the posters in here that there will never be another Barry Sanders… Gio does show a similar running style, with the low center of gravity, quickness and ability to make defenders look stupid out in space. He's a future star in this league for sure provided he can stay healthy.

If I'm in a keeper league and I drafted Gio, I'm feeling pretty good about the future.

That was an awesome TD run, but: would Marvin Lewis bench the (alleged) next Barry Sanders for Benjarvus Green-Ellis? He knows that little about football???

Barry's never even heard of Gio.
And in 20 years, we won't remember Gio's name either. But we'll still know Barry
I beg to differ that guy, we may look back in 20 years and Gio could have a lesean mccoy/faulk esque career who we might remember very well.
How many players have we (meaning the FF community) said that about in the past? Plenty of rookies have had good games. It's ludicrous to compare them with Faulk or Barry until they show some sustainability. There are FAR more RB's who have shown flashes of greatness who have fizzled out fairly quickly than RB's who have shown sustained greatness.

Of course Gio "could" become one of those players mentioned...anything is possible in a hypothetical world. Is it likely he's going to have a Hall of Fame career like those guys? Absolutely not.

Last edited by a moderator:
St. Bernard had a good game last night... Barry Sanders 2.0 lol no wayyyyyyyyy dude

Wonder what some of you said after Chris Johnsons 2k season? 2nd coming of Barry :)

what would the foxxxxxx sayyyyyyyy !

Gio is special, likely not Barry Sanders special but still special none the less. He obviously has a very bright future.

My real problem is with the OP labeling him a RB1 in PPR from here on out. There looked to be a changing of the guard earlier in the year in CIN but over the past three weeks Gio hasn't been getting nearly enough work to even sustain RB2 production. It's safer to treat him as a high upside flex during most weeks. BGE likely isn't going anywhere.

BJGE had 22 rushing attempts last night. Not happening this year.
He did have a lot of them after Gio went out. I want to say probably at least 6 or 7 but I know what you're getting at. Maybe this year Gio can get to 50% of the touches but he's not going to be a workhorse.

That is out of His control, blame the coaching staff on that. These guys are like Todd haley. Did they take the todd haley, chan gailey, john fox, bruce arians school of how to treat rookie runningbacks?
Doesn't matter why. Just matters that he is not getting Sanders type carries. Until then, we can compare Bernard to part-timers like James Brooks with San Diego and LaMont Jordan with the Jets. I suppose you could try to make a comparison to Ollie Matson. He was arguably the most exciting runner in the 1950s. He didn't always have big carry numbers. His best game may have been the one in 1954 against Washington when he had 8 carries for 163 yards or thereabouts and made a key defensive stop late in the game.

LeSean McCoy is an absolute joy to watch and is as close to Barry Sanders as I can recall and even he is a distant second to actually being what Barry Sanders was. So, Giovanni Bernard, as promising as he is, is far from the next edition of Barry Sanders. In an NFL landscape that is by and large diluted of iconic RBs, it would be easy to point to Bernard as the next great hopeful but it is still a wide, wide casm.

Barry Sanders was one of those players who, even though you knew could amaze you, routinely upped the bar and surprised you even when you thought you had seen it all. He was truly a unique, once in a lifetime type of player.§

Barry Sanders was one of those players who, even though you knew could amaze you, routinely upped the bar and surprised you even when you thought you had seen it all. He was truly a unique, once in a lifetime type of player.§
Every once and a while, while bored, I'll throw on Barry highlights, and they never get old. Aside from Michael Jordan, maybe, I don't think there's another athlete with a better highlight reel than Barry.

That was an awesome TD run, but: would Marvin Lewis bench the (alleged) next Barry Sanders for Benjarvus Green-Ellis? He knows that little about football???
when did he get benched? he is just not starting yet, but they are using the rookie excuse. They are stubborn and loyal to older vets, plus they are paying him a lot of Money. Money talks and Mike brown is as stubborn as they come fellas. Could be a waiting game similar to JC but not quite to that degree.

Users who are viewing this thread