What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Girl admitted to Boston hospital with flu, locked in psych ward... (1 Viewer)

Ignoratio Elenchi

Footballguy
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2513257/Shock-decline-Justina-Pelletier-kidnapped-doctors-use-guinea-pig.html

I know, Daily Mail. Google didn't really turn up any more reputable sources.

Anyway, what's going on here? The Daily Mail article is obviously written with a slant, and I find it hard to believe Boston Children's Hospital (as well as the judge who ordered her to stay) could have botched this situation so badly if the parents' account is true. Is it possible that the parents are crazy/abusive and the girl really just has a mental disorder? Is this on the local news up there at all?

http://foxct.com/2013/11/26/daughter-held-at-boston-childrens-hospital-for-nine-months/

It centers on 15-year-old West Hartford girl, Justina Pelletier, diagnosed with mitochondrial disease years ago – a condition causing muscle pain and weakness. Then, nine months ago, she was admitted to Boston Children’s Hospital with the flu.

At BCH, her parents say a different set of doctors diagnosed her with “somatoform disorder,” in short, saying she suffered from a mental illness, not mitochondrial disease.

When her parents, Lou and Linda Pelletier disagreed, they lost custody of Justina when the Massachusetts Department of Children and Families was called in after just four days. The parents haven’t had custody now, for nine months.
The family’s next court date is Dec. 5 in Boston.

They took their kid to Boston Children's Hospital - driving from Connecticut - for the flu? Something about the story stinks. Unfortunately, because of privacy laws, all the public gets is the one side.

Boston Children's Hospital has refused to comment but documents show that they believe Justina's parents were overmedicating her, which is why child services were called.

"Due to concerns regarding Justina’s regressive behavior changes around her family, the multiple medical procedures and care episodes she has been through … and both parents’ resistance towards recommended treatment plans for Justina … a child protection team was convened," the report said.

The family said that every procedure and prescription was sanctioned by doctors and even showed the hospital proof.
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/parents-lou-and-linda-pelletier-lose-custody-of-daughter-justina-to-boston-childrens-hospital/story-fneuz9ev-1226764858149

Image of hospital care guidelines

This happened before.

After a difference of opinion with Boston Children’s Hospital about their child’s diagnosis and treatment led to a gag order and court appearance, a New York family remains embroiled in a legal battle for custodial rights of their daughter, and is fighting for her release.

Elizabeth Wray, 16, was diagnosed with Pediatric Autoimmune Neuro-Psychiatric Disorder Associated with Streptococcus, or PANDAS, earlier this year.

Now she is under the custody of the state at Children’s Hospital, and the family claims doctors won’t recognize the disorder or give her the proper medication.
Elizabeth Wray was released after 10 months to her parents in August

I really don't get how this happens without clear evidence of parental abuse. Seems like this girl was under consistent care at Tufts. That certainly is not negligence/abuse.

I really don't get how this happens without clear evidence of parental abuse. Seems like this girl was under consistent care at Tufts. That certainly is not negligence/abuse.
I don't have any clear idea what is really going on with Justina Pelletier or what was going on with Elizabeth Wray. It's the first time I've heard of either of them and in looking for news it seems there are few actual reports, and much regurgitation. What the 2 incidents have in common is gag orders from a court, which would explain the lack of information but which also seems very odd.

I know this story has been getting a lot of coverage from talk radio but I really feel for these parents. You daughter is diagnosed with a condition and you think you are a good parent by getting her constant medical attention. Despite this, she is an active, normal little girl. She gets the flu and gets sent to Boston Children's Hospital. However, within 12 hours another doctor there magically says the first diagnosis was wrong and says it is all psychological. Parents disagree and ask for a second opinion and more importantly, asks that her normal doctor be consulted. The hospital doesn't consult with her treating doctor but gets CPS involved and they take custody of the child. Parents are relegated to supervised parenting time for 1 hour a week and one supervised phone call. The Judge issues a gag order on all parties. This child languishes at Boston Children's Hospital for close to a year and slowly declines to the point she in now in a wheelchair, losing her hair, etc. The dad violates the gag order and starts making the media rounds. The child is released from the hospital, but not to parents--to a foster home where she is now.

I know this is an over-simplification of the case. Having done family law for many, many years, I am always skeptical of these stories because there is always that one fact that is conveniently omitted by one side. However in this case, several things bug me: the hospitals unwillingness to talk to the child's doctor who had diagnosed and treated her, the Judge issuing a gag order (of course it is a juvenile proceeding, so it is closed and the documents sealed, but a gag order??) and finally the most telling, is if the hospital believed the parents were the cause of the child's disease-Somatoform disorder, wouldn't it make sense that if the parents were the cause, she would improve being away from them?? Keeping in mind the week before she is brought in the hospital, she is ice skating and fine, yet here she is a year later wheelchair bound.

Throw in the fact this is at least the 4th case at this hospital where a child was removed from a parent by CPS under the same circumstances. It sounds fishy.

I know this story has been getting a lot of coverage from talk radio but I really feel for these parents. You daughter is diagnosed with a condition and you think you are a good parent by getting her constant medical attention. Despite this, she is an active, normal little girl. She gets the flu and gets sent to Boston Children's Hospital. However, within 12 hours another doctor there magically says the first diagnosis was wrong and says it is all psychological. Parents disagree and ask for a second opinion and more importantly, asks that her normal doctor be consulted. The hospital doesn't consult with her treating doctor but gets CPS involved and they take custody of the child. Parents are relegated to supervised parenting time for 1 hour a week and one supervised phone call. The Judge issues a gag order on all parties. This child languishes at Boston Children's Hospital for close to a year and slowly declines to the point she in now in a wheelchair, losing her hair, etc. The dad violates the gag order and starts making the media rounds. The child is released from the hospital, but not to parents--to a foster home where she is now.

I know this is an over-simplification of the case. Having done family law for many, many years, I am always skeptical of these stories because there is always that one fact that is conveniently omitted by one side. However in this case, several things bug me: the hospitals unwillingness to talk to the child's doctor who had diagnosed and treated her, the Judge issuing a gag order (of course it is a juvenile proceeding, so it is closed and the documents sealed, but a gag order??) and finally the most telling, is if the hospital believed the parents were the cause of the child's disease-Somatoform disorder, wouldn't it make sense that if the parents were the cause, she would improve being away from them?? Keeping in mind the week before she is brought in the hospital, she is ice skating and fine, yet here she is a year later wheelchair bound.

Throw in the fact this is at least the 4th case at this hospital where a child was removed from a parent by CPS under the same circumstances. It sounds fishy.
That is very disturbing.

That is very disturbing.
This case chills me to the ####### bone and illustrates the a lack of oversight and reason in a process where someone's most fundamental human rights can be removed based on the whims of a few people.

I think the process of the government removing a child from their parents should require a much more exhaustive process with far more checks to balance out this kind of behavior from judges.

That is very disturbing.
This case chills me to the ####### bone and illustrates the a lack of oversight and reason in a process where someone's most fundamental human rights can be removed based on the whims of a few people.I think the process of the government removing a child from their parents should require a much more exhaustive process with far more checks to balance out this kind of behavior from judges.
Yep, sounds like boston. A lot of know it all hippies up there....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2513257/Shock-decline-Justina-Pelletier-kidnapped-doctors-use-guinea-pig.html

I know, Daily Mail. Google didn't really turn up any more reputable sources.

Anyway, what's going on here? The Daily Mail article is obviously written with a slant, and I find it hard to believe Boston Children's Hospital (as well as the judge who ordered her to stay) could have botched this situation so badly if the parents' account is true. Is it possible that the parents are crazy/abusive and the girl really just has a mental disorder? Is this on the local news up there at all?
gonna see if this can work on my wife.Brb.

"Beatniks and hippies are known for their "free-thinking" ways, which often included the uses of drugs such as marijuana, LSD, etc. However, not all beatniks and hippies used drugs, and it is very possible, that Justina Pelletier was one of those beatniks/hippies that didn't."

"Beatniks and hippies are known for their "free-thinking" ways, which often included the uses of drugs such as marijuana, LSD, etc. However, not all beatniks and hippies used drugs, and it is very possible, that Justina Pelletier was one of those beatniks/hippies that didn't."
ruh roh

She has been ordered back to her parents.
And someone should have the #### sued out of them. People should lose their jobs. Maybe even go to jail for gross negligence and general stupidity. Yeah I know if we jailed stupid the country would be empty but still.

Users who are viewing this thread