What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Giving a car to my daughter (1 Viewer)


This car has effectively been hers for several years but it has always been registered to me. She has now graduated from college, is living away from home, and has a job. The plan has always been to give her the car when she gets to this point so here we are. I live in FL and I think I just need to transfer the title to her and I'm assuming registration fees would apply. But I'm wondering about sale taxes or any other fees that I might not be aware of. Anyone do this recently or have experience?


In some states you’ll pay an ad velorum tax on the value of the car too. No sales tax.

ETA: Above applies only if it’s being registered for the first time in the state. Other than that, should just be the standard registration fee.


This varies quite a bit by state. Google the Florida regulations and/or contact Florida MVD/DMV.


In Texas you have to pay sales tax on FMV as determined by the DMV. I always work into the conversation how bad off the car is mechanically before the title process gets to the sales tax.


i think in florida if i recall correctly you can just do some bath salts and then say god wills the car to be hers and the transfer is tax free take that to the bank brochacho


You know, there are those of us who live in northern states who register their cars in Florida via PO Box so we don’t have to pay/get emission test,, inspections and nother ridiculous fees.


Well, I know in Massachusetts, there is no sales tax on a transfer to a family member. I don't know about other states.
Similar for MN:
The transfer of a motor vehicle between specifically identified individuals is not charged sales tax if the transfer is a gift for no monetary or other consideration, or other expectation of consideration. The specific individuals are: spouses, parents and children, and grandparents and grandchildren.


I did the exact same thing for my son a few months ago. In Idaho, there were no fees. He just had to pay for the new registration.


Thanks for the replies. I was planning to contact the DMV but wanted to ask here first, of course :)

Users who are viewing this thread