What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Glennon versus Hoyer - Redraft (1 Viewer)

Glennon versus Hoyer - redraft

• Total voters
maybe you should add cassel to this

Christian Ponder revealed his Week 4 status is uncertain due to a rib injury sustained against the Browns.

Glennon was brutal in the preseason. Hoyer has always looked the part of an NFL qb and if he put up 300/3 (even against a mediocre D) that's a good sign

Glennon was brutal in the preseason. Hoyer has always looked the part of an NFL qb and if he put up 300/3 (even against a mediocre D) that's a good sign
Especially if the game plan is as simple as this:

1) Throw to Gordon every play between the 20's

2) Throw to Cameron every play outside the 20's

Start 2 QB leagues ...picked up Hoyer as my QB3 for bye weeks. Dude has legit targets to throw to in Cameron, Gordon and even Bess is a veteran. The Browns sure as hell aren't running the ball now so sheer volume alone, Hoyer could have a halfway decent season. 200 yards, 2 scores, 2 picks (or that ballpark) would give me confidence to toss him into lineup for bye weeks going forward.

I think I read somewhere that Glennon was PFF's 68th rated QB during the preseason. Yeah, I'll take Hoyer.

Saying "Hoyer and it's not close" would be underestimating how not-close this decision should be.

Literally the only time I'd even consider playing Glennon would be in ESPN's BQBL.

Interesting. I voted Glennon simply because I'm assuming he'll start the rest of the year. Not sure I can say that about Hoyer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saying "Hoyer and it's not close" would be underestimating how not-close this decision should be.

Literally the only time I'd even consider playing Glennon would be in ESPN's BQBL.
Hoyer looked pretty solid to me last week. What don't you like about him?

Hoyer looked pretty solid to me last week. What don't you like about him?
Reading is FUNdamental!
If you confront someone that you think doesn't read, then you shouldn't yell at them because that's not a way to inspire them to read.

I replied on the wrong post... Thanks for adding to the discussion though. Thought there was possibly some logic for thinking that he wouldn't be the starter rest of season. Based on what we've seen so far, weeden won't regain the job IMHO. I was looking for someone to argue the other side of that debate. I'll look elsewhere.

Hoyer is the best QB on Cleveland and is better than what several NFL teams are starting. Plus he has some decent targets to throw too. I think it would be dumb not to ride Hoyer as the starter for a while and see what he can do. He is better than the alternative.

To add to the collective thoughts, Hoyer or Pryor? (ROY)

I was surprised to read the positive Hoyer comments, I wasn't thinking much.

(I know the other offensive talent is there but don't know much of Hoyer)

Don't know what Hoyer's hold on the job is for long. Glennon represents potentially a year long starter perhaps. These guys are important obviously in Start 2 Leagues or for leagues with really long benches. Thank you guys for chiming in.

There will be a few more deep subs coming in to start soon and we already have Cassell breaking into the lineup. Some of these guys actually can help you in a pinch and I can recall a couple situations in recent years where backups or low end NFL starters are situated in losing situations and then have to throw it a ton to get their team back in games. This can be good in our hobby because they'll light up a stat sheet even if their team still loses. Bradford looks like he may be in that situation the way things are going currently (although he didn't get it done in garbage time vs. SF). But yeah, give me a backup QB who is going to throw the ball 50 times in a game. It may be ugly in real life NFL terms but I'll take 300+ yards and a couple TD's (usually with a couple picks though).

Even vs. Arizona non-existent pass rush, it better be Doug Martin, Doug Martin and more Doug Martin.

Glennon hasn't had time to even practice with his starting WR crew this week.

I'd take Hoyer over the course of the season.

Hoyer is on a two year contract and was coveted by Lombardi. In addition, the Browns new Assistant GM, Ray Farmer, was picked up from the Kansas City Chiefs where he was the Pro Personnel Director. Farmer, under 40 years old, is one of the up and coming front office men in the league.

From NFL.com:

For once, one of the rumors surrounding Cleveland Browns general manager Michael Lombardi came true.

Lombardi's long-simmering appreciation of quarterback Brian Hoyer was consummated Thursday in an agreement on a two-year contract, according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. Adam Caplan of SiriusXM NFL Radio first reported the move.

In Cleveland, Hoyer simply will be insurance. Brandon Weeden is the presumptive Week 1 starter, and Jason Campbell is the favorite for backup duties (although Hoyer should be in the mix). Thaddeus Lewis figures to be released eventually. Hoyer provides another option, which never is a bad thing when a team still is searching for its franchise quarterback.Lombardi spoke highly of Hoyer as a potential starter when the Browns GM was a member of the media here at NFL.com. That was when Hoyer was the backup quarterback with the New England Patriots, which was three teams ago. Since Lombardi praised Hoyer, the Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers and Arizona Cardinals all have let go of the quarterback. Lombardi reportedly considered trading with the Cardinals for Hoyer, but the Browns realized they could get him for free.

Gregg Rosenthal

Even vs. Arizona non-existent pass rush, it better be Doug Martin, Doug Martin and more Doug Martin.

Glennon hasn't had time to even practice with his starting WR crew this week.

I'd take Hoyer over the course of the season.
I expect it might be ugly Sunday for sure. However, he does have the shot of being the QB for them for an extended period of time given Schiano's dissatisfaction with Freeman.

I agree that, with Schiano saying that Glennon is his starter for the rest of the year, Glennon has a somewhat better chance of playing all year than Hoyer. What Schiano says now and what he says in a month, when the kid (who didn't appear anywhere near ready in pre-season and who might never be) may have thrown 10 INTs to 2 TDs and with the team at 0-7 or 0-9 might be very different. Particularly with Schiano's job squarely on the line.

In my experience with 2 QB leagues, the second QB points are likely to vary hugely from week to week and are often game-changers. I'll take the productive guy over the more likely long term starter every time. You can always pick up a Geno or Ponder (or his replacement) if Hoyer loses the job. But if your 2nd QB is scoring 8 and the other team's guy is scoring 23, that's a big disadvantage. Its like your second RB in a must start 2 RB league. Do you want to be starting the (17ish) McFadden or Ridley, or do you want a (30ish) Woodhead or Green-Ellis because they are more likely to play the rest of the year?

Hoyer has very little in the way of a running game, but two young, talented receivers with whom he already appears to have great chemistry. Those elements seem to be the heart of the offense going forward. Glennon's team is a run first franchise who loves to grind it out and let the pounding and defense decide the game. If Glennon gets to pass much, it will mostly be from behind and in desperation. And I'll surely take Norv over Sullian/Schiano in coaching a passing game.

I don't think guys picking Glennon over Hoyer, at this point, will actually be happening in very many 2 QB leagues (but different takes are what makes the game - and discussion - interesting).

Catbird said:
I agree that, with Schiano saying that Glennon is his starter for the rest of the year, Glennon has a somewhat better chance of playing all year than Hoyer. What Schiano says now and what he says in a month, when the kid (who didn't appear anywhere near ready in pre-season and who might never be) may have thrown 10 INTs to 2 TDs and with the team at 0-7 or 0-9 might be very different. Particularly with Schiano's job squarely on the line.

In my experience with 2 QB leagues, the second QB points are likely to vary hugely from week to week and are often game-changers. I'll take the productive guy over the more likely long term starter every time. You can always pick up a Geno or Ponder (or his replacement) if Hoyer loses the job. But if your 2nd QB is scoring 8 and the other team's guy is scoring 23, that's a big disadvantage. Its like your second RB in a must start 2 RB league. Do you want to be starting the (17ish) McFadden or Ridley, or do you want a (30ish) Woodhead or Green-Ellis because they are more likely to play the rest of the year?

Hoyer has very little in the way of a running game, but two young, talented receivers with whom he already appears to have great chemistry. Those elements seem to be the heart of the offense going forward. Glennon's team is a run first franchise who loves to grind it out and let the pounding and defense decide the game. If Glennon gets to pass much, it will mostly be from behind and in desperation. And I'll surely take Norv over Sullian/Schiano in coaching a passing game.

I don't think guys picking Glennon over Hoyer, at this point, will actually be happening in very many 2 QB leagues (but different takes are what makes the game - and discussion - interesting).
In 2 QB leagues, no starting QB should be on the waiver wire unless it's a new starter due to benching/injury. Need to stash these guys when you can. Might be a starter, might be trade bait.

Totally agree that having a good #2 QB is a line-up advantage each week.

Perhaps those not believing in Glennon should put Orlovsky on their radar.

The over-all thread discussion should probably add Cassel and Flynn into the conversation. Same scenario as Hoyer. Mediocre talents filling in for injured mediocre to bad NFL QBs. All 4 teams could be selecting a QB early in the draft next year.

In the 1 (2 QB league) I'm in we have a limit of 3 on any roster.

(so then with the 10 team league there are floaters out there)

I'd like to add Hoyer, but I can't justify dropping Pryor to do it. :(

Hoyer is the best QB on Cleveland and is better than what several NFL teams are starting. Plus he has some decent targets to throw too. I think it would be dumb not to ride Hoyer as the starter for a while and see what he can do. He is better than the alternative.
Hoyer train is reminding me of Derek Anderson train. I think this guy could throw a ton, put up a lot of yards, TDs AND INTs. I doubt he will be a great QB, but he could well be an effective fantasy QB for a period of time.

Yeah. I didn't mean there would be a lot of starting QBs available all year, but it seems there's always someone - even it has to be the guy replacing your guy if he loses the job - as a warm body. I don't see Glennon having any value over whatever warm body starter is out there. And I guess even that depends on roster depth. My main point was that where Hoyer is so much more likely to be scoring well, that is far more important (to me) than Glennon's slightly better job security.

Users who are viewing this thread