What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

GOP Censures Cheney and Kinzinger - thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Its nice a few have.   It doesn’t seem to address the post you quoted and have zero clue why you are tagging others.
Please. It's not a stretch to assume that when a poster Likes a post, that they agree with its contents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please. It's not a stretch to assume that when a poster Likes a post, that they agree with its contents.
The contents of his post remain correct.   Very few conservatives here have said a word about it.  Posting that a few senators finally stepped up isn’t really refuting hismpost or point.  And tagging anyone that liked a post?  Interesting…

The contents of his post remain correct.   Very few conservatives here have said a word about it.  Posting that a few senators finally stepped up isn’t really refuting hismpost or point.  And tagging anyone that liked a post?  Interesting…
Nice changing the goal posts. Is any the same as very few? 

I've yet to see any conservatives on this board denounce this censure 

I denounced it 10 minutes after the original thread was started. 

I did. And would hold my ground on that since I believe the NYT should be infinitely more precise on such an inflammatory matter. Instead they engaged in tabloid reporting.

The exact headline was: The Republican Party officially declared the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol “legitimate political discourse”. 

There is and never was an official document declaring such a thing. Nor in the voice vote itself.

McConnell et. al. are rebuking the GOP for the censure itself, but also "for suggesting that the Jan. 6 insurrection was "legitimate political discourse."

Even after the GOP cleaned up the language, I don't think the bolded is a stretch. But it is not an official declaration. That is not being anal, that is a fact, and the NYT editors know it.
No offense but this seems really weak to me. I’ll let others judge this for themselves, but that is my impression. 

Nice changing the goal posts. Is any the same as very few? 

I've yet to see any conservatives on this board denounce this censure 

I denounced it 10 minutes after the original thread was started. 
Goalposts?  Like bringing up senators in a post about people in this board?

The exact headline was: The Republican Party officially declared the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol “legitimate political discourse”. 

There is and never was an official document declaring such a thing.
There is a rather simple way to argue that this...

WHEREAS, RepresentativesCheney and Kinzinger are participating in a Democrat-led persecution of ordinary citizens engaged in legitimate political discourse

... doesn't support calling what happened inside the Capitol "legitimate political discourse.  And that is to just accept that this...

WHEREAS, Representatives Cheney and Kinzinger have engaged in actions in their positions as members of the January 6th Select Committee
... is just as much of a mischaracterization of what the Select Committee is doing in much the same way that the entire document is a mischaracterization of pretty much everything else.

Stoneworker said:
This should put a sock in these types of ridiculous and premature accusations. @Sabertooth@dozer @sho nuff @HomerSimpson

A number of GOP senators, including Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, have rebuked the national party over the resolution

It was a violent insurrection for the purpose of trying to prevent the peaceful transfer of power after a legitimately certified election from one administration to the next. That's what it was," McConnell said Tuesday of the January 6 attack.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mcconnell-gop-senators-criticize-rnc-for-censuring-cheney-kinzinger/ar-AATCMkY?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnb7Kz
Good I'm glad to see it.  

Put a sock in what?

Do you have some kind of question for me, or is there a post somewhere you disagree with? Or are you just tagging posters you disagree with in general.

Kind of weird, man.

A number of GOP Senators?  Do you know what the number is?

McConnel and Romney expressed their opinions about J6…. On J7.

We’ve known that they stand against Trump since the day it happened.

McConnel is probably the most secure Senator in congress (just my assumption.) He’s not worried about bending to the will of Trump, and you can bet when McConnel does bend to Trump, no one will know it’s happening. That’s how good McConnel is at being a politician.

I really like this quote from your article:

"Anything that my party does that comes across as being stupid is not going to help us."

--Mitt Romney

I agree with Thom Tillis:

"The minute you entered the Capitol building, it was no longer discourse, it was riot," Tillis said Tuesday.

And this quote from Grassely”

"I like to think of the Republican Party as being a big-tent party, everybody is welcome.”

To me, Grassly sounds to me like he is leveraging the potential backlash of the RNC’s OVERWHELMING vote in favor of censure.

So that article mentions McConnell, Romney, and Tillis. While Grassley is wishy-washy as usual. That’s’ four. It’s a start.

I hope more Republicans in congress, and the real world take the same brave stand against Trump.

They do quote Elise Stefanik.

"The RNC has every right to take any action," said Congresswoman Elise Stefanik of New York, who replaced Cheney as GOP conference chair.

And then, STOP THE PRESSES!!!11!

Stefanik said Republicans….. "Condemn the violence on January 6."

Then the signal kind of cuts out…
Yeah. I didn’t think so…

Mr. McConnell repudiated that description, saying of the events of Jan. 6, 2021: “We saw it happen. It was a violent insurrection for the purpose of trying to prevent the peaceful transfer of power after a legitimately certified election, from one administration to the next. That’s what it was.”

He made the remarks to reporters outside Senate Republicans’ closed-door weekly lunch, where his aides had signaled in advance that he was to make an important statement on the R.N.C.’s action.

Mr. McConnell’s comments were a rebuke of how far the party has gone to deny the reality of the violence that unfolded during the bloody assault on the Capitol, sending lawmakers from both parties running for safety. More than 150 people were injured in the attack, which led to several deaths, and nearly 750 individuals have been criminally charged in connection with it.

In the days since the Republican National Committee passed the resolution at its winter meeting in Salt Lake City, a handful of Republicans have criticized the move as everything from a political distraction to a shame on the party. Mr. McConnell, who orchestrated the impeachment acquittal of former President Donald J. Trump and blocked the naming of an independent, bipartisan commission to examine the attack, was among the most blunt in his defense of the only Republicans serving on the committee that rose from that proposal’s ashes.

“Traditionally, the view of the national party committees is that we support all members of our party, regardless of their positions on some issues,” he said. “The issue is whether or not the R.N.C. should be sort of singling out members of our party who may have different views of the majority. That’s not the job of the R.N.C.”

[snip]

The censure, pushed by allies of former President Donald J. Trump, was just over one page long, but it has sent Republicans into turmoil, exposing the party’s fissures while underscoring how its fealty to Mr. Trump continues to define everything it does. 
Someone needs to tell Mitch McConnel the RNC statement wasn't what it was.  For whatever reason he seems to think it was exactly what it was.

Put a sock in what?

Do you have some kind of question for me, or is there a post somewhere you disagree with? Or are you just tagging posters you disagree with in general.

Kind of weird, man.

A number of GOP Senators?  Do you know what the number is?

McConnel and Romney expressed their opinions about J6…. On J7.

We’ve known that they stand against Trump since the day it happened.

McConnel is probably the most secure Senator in congress (just my assumption.) He’s not worried about bending to the will of Trump, and you can bet when McConnel does bend to Trump, no one will know it’s happening. That’s how good McConnel is at being a politician.

I really like this quote from your article:

"Anything that my party does that comes across as being stupid is not going to help us."

--Mitt Romney

I agree with Thom Tillis:

"The minute you entered the Capitol building, it was no longer discourse, it was riot," Tillis said Tuesday.

And this quote from Grassely”

"I like to think of the Republican Party as being a big-tent party, everybody is welcome.”

To me, Grassly sounds to me like he is leveraging the potential backlash of the RNC’s OVERWHELMING vote in favor of censure.

So that article mentions McConnell, Romney, and Tillis. While Grassley is wishy-washy as usual. That’s’ four. It’s a start.

I hope more Republicans in congress, and the real world take the same brave stand against Trump.

They do quote Elise Stefanik.

"The RNC has every right to take any action," said Congresswoman Elise Stefanik of New York, who replaced Cheney as GOP conference chair.

And then, STOP THE PRESSES!!!11!

Stefanik said Republicans….. "Condemn the violence on January 6."

Then the signal kind of cuts out…
New statement from Donald Trump:

“Mitch McConnell does not speak for the Republican Party, and does not represent the views of the vast majority of its voters. He did nothing to fight for his constituents and stop the most fraudulent election in American history”

“Mitch McConnell does not speak for the Republican Party, and does not represent the views of the vast majority of its voters. He did nothing to fight for his constituents and stop the most fraudulent election in American history”
We can only hope for a power struggle between Trump and McConnell that will fracture the party beyond salvaging. That would be the best thing for America. I hate McConnell more than I do Trump, but I would put my bets on Moscow Mitch to win that battle. He's too shrewd for Donald to outmaneuver on his worst day and Don's best. Let the "RINO's" take back the party and rebuild it from the ground up.

We would all benefit from a similar development amongst the Democrats as well, but there's no one near Trump’s level of demagoguery to fire the first salvo. 

How in the name of all that is good can this dude still control the Republican party to the extent he does?

It's like something out of a bad movie...

We can only hope for a power struggle between Trump and McConnell that will fracture the party beyond salvaging. That would be the best thing for America. I hate McConnell more than I do Trump, but I would put my bets on Moscow Mitch to win that battle. He's too shrewd for Donald to outmaneuver on his worst day and Don's best. Let the "RINO's" take back the party and rebuild it from the ground up.

We would all benefit from a similar development amongst the Democrats as well, but there's no one near Trump’s level of demagoguery to fire the first salvo. 
How awesome would it be to get back to the party of GWB?  Not smart as he was, at least he wasn't a no moral, narcissistic, serial adulterers, serial liar who so can't handle being wrong that he sharpied up a weather map.

Crazy stuff. 

Absolutely nuts.  

Mitch held the line during impeachment.  He got ACB rushed through.  He put a ton of conservative judges on benches.  Mitch did so much for Trump during his term.  

I think Mitch is a hall of famer in the Republican party (if there were a hall of fame).  And I think he's about to get left behind and have his history re-written.  This isn't the Republican party he built.  And he won't cosign the new version.  So they're going to start separating from him.

There used to be DixieCrats which were New Deal democrats that often enough on non-fiscal issues would vote with republicans.   These guys, part of what used to be called the "conservative coalition" mostly signed on to Reagan's brand of fiscal conservatism and became republicans. 

There used to be "Gypsy Moth" republicans that would from time to time vote with democrats.  As the GOP which as a minority party already had usually voted as a block started having litmus test these guys who would occasionally break away became extinct. 

We need modern versions of both.  We need voters to allow them to exist.  But that is the problem.  The GOP is full blown politphobe   and as trying to be reasonable continues to be a losing strategy the muffled voices of fringe democrats will eventually catch up.   

Statement by Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States of America

02/09/22

Mitch McConnell does not speak for the Republican Party, and does not represent the views of the vast majority of its voters. He did nothing to fight for his constituents and stop the most fraudulent election in American history. And he does nothing to stop the lawless Biden Administration, the invasion of our Borders, rising Inflation, Unconstitutional mandates, the persecution of political opponents, fact finding on the incompentent Afghanistan withdrawal, the giving away our energy independence, etc., which is all because of the fraudulent election. Instead, he bails out the Radical Left and the RINOs. 

If Mitch would have fought for the election, like the Democrats would have if in the same position, we would not be discussing any of the above today, and our Country would be STRONG and PROUD instead of weak and embarrassed.

:oldunsure:

Statement by Donald J. Trump, 45th President of the United States of America

02/09/22

Mitch McConnell does not speak for the Republican Party, and does not represent the views of the vast majority of its voters. He did nothing to fight for his constituents and stop the most fraudulent election in American history. And he does nothing to stop the lawless Biden Administration, the invasion of our Borders, rising Inflation, Unconstitutional mandates, the persecution of political opponents, fact finding on the incompentent Afghanistan withdrawal, the giving away our energy independence, etc., which is all because of the fraudulent election. Instead, he bails out the Radical Left and the RINOs. 

If Mitch would have fought for the election, like the Democrats would have if in the same position, we would not be discussing any of the above today, and our Country would be STRONG and PROUD instead of weak and embarrassed.

:oldunsure:
I so hope the Democrats lose the House, the Republicans remind everyone they can’t govern either and run Trump again in 2024.

I so hope the Democrats lose the House, the Republicans remind everyone they can’t govern either and run Trump again in 2024.
Of course the Rs will run Trump.  He controls the entire party.  

They'll get curbstomped in 2024.  People have had enough of the Trump experiment. 

This again.  :rolleyes:

Trump ain't running under the GOP banner.  He doesn't control the party.  He's just a boogeyman at this point.  :shrug:
lmfao.

The R congress just kicked out the folks who dared to say that January 6th was bad.

Just lol that Trump doesn't control the party.  You'll find out when you're voting for him in 2 1/2 years.

lmfao.

The R congress just kicked out the folks who dared to say that January 6th was bad.

Just lol that Trump doesn't control the party.  You'll find out when you're voting for him in 2 1/2 years.

You're going to look awfully silly in 2.5 years when he's not on the ticket.  All these hyperventilating and panic attacks you guys are doing - all for nothing.  :shrug:

You're going to look awfully silly in 2.5 years when he's not on the ticket.  All these hyperventilating and panic attacks you guys are doing - all for nothing.  :shrug:
Hahahaha

Tell me why he won't run.  What indication has he given?  He's still whining like a girl about getting curbstomped and losing the presidency, the house, and the senate.

Please please please continue to worship him. 

Hahahaha

Tell me why he won't run.  What indication has he given?  He's still whining like a girl about getting curbstomped and losing the presidency, the house, and the senate.

Please please please continue to worship him. 

Trump had his moment and now it's gone.  He was a one hit wonder.  The magic isn't happening twice.  We're moving on to someone that better represents our party and is younger.  I've moved on after the election.  So should you.

Also, you must have me confused with someone else.  I don't worship Trump.  In fact, it looks like you guys worship him more than any conservatives.  

Trump had his moment and now it's gone.  He was a one hit wonder.  The magic isn't happening twice.  We're moving on to someone that better represents our party and is younger.  I've moved on after the election.  So should you.

Also, you must have me confused with someone else.  I don't worship Trump.  In fact, it looks like you guys worship him more than any conservatives.  
Are you predicting he won’t run or that he’ll run but not get the nomination?

lmfao.

don’t think he‘ll run.  decent chance he’ll be barred from public office by then, but he’ll decide who the nominee is.

don’t think he‘ll run.  decent chance he’ll be barred from public office by then, but he’ll decide who the nominee is.
I agree, but I think a Trump endorsed independent could split the party.  And I think that's certainly on the table. 

Absolutely nuts.  

Mitch held the line during impeachment.  He got ACB rushed through.  He put a ton of conservative judges on benches.  Mitch did so much for Trump during his term.  

I think Mitch is a hall of famer in the Republican party (if there were a hall of fame).  And I think he's about to get left behind and have his history re-written.  This isn't the Republican party he built.  And he won't cosign the new version.  So they're going to start separating from him.
Yet there are those that will argue Trump isn’t the power in the GOP.  It’s wish casting imo to think he isn’t. 

Absolutely nuts.  

In addition to all the significant actions you listed, when Trump nominated a bunch of unqualified cronies for his cabinet, McConnell changed the rules for executive branch confirmations to lower the threshold from 60 votes to 51 to get a bunch of them through.  McConnell worked very hard to enable an extremely corrupt cabinet chosen by a President who campaigned on Drain The Swamp.

I'd put the chances at Trump running at close to 100%.  He still hasn't gotten over getting curb stomped by Biden (remember Trump slinking away before the inauguration?  Classless as always).  He surrounds himself withy sycophants and yes men so he'll think he has the election in the bag.

Going to be another beautiful night in 2024 when whomever from the dems not named Biden or Kamilla crushes Trump yet again.  So he'll go down as having lost the WH 2x, the House, and the Senate.  Hopefully he damages mini Trumps like DeSantis on the way out. 

This again.  :rolleyes:

Trump ain't running under the GOP banner.  He doesn't control the party.  He's just a boogeyman at this point.  :shrug:
With the exception of Dr. Oz., the Republicans running for senate and governor in PA are airing ads that feature pictures of themselves with DJT and mentioning his name.

You would think running ads with a person that is still whining about a rigged election and  attempted to remain in office by nefarious means would be political suicide but at least in Pennsylvania it is a badge of honor.

If Trump doesn’t control the GOP someone needs to tell those running in 2022 because they didn’t get the message

With the exception of Dr. Oz., the Republicans running for senate and governor in PA are airing ads that feature pictures of themselves with DJT and mentioning his name.

You would think running ads with a person that is still whining about a rigged election and    attempting to remain in office by nefarious means would be political suicide but at least in Pennsylvania it is a badge of honor.

If Trump doesn’t control the GOP someone needs to tell those running in 2022 because they didn’t get the message
Anyone who claims Trump doesn't completely control the GOP is simply lying to themselves.

I would probably lie to myself too if I supported a party led by an admitted serial sexual abuser (they "let" you do it ie. the Weinstein defense), serial adulterer, serial liar, narcissistic, poor loser (remember when he slinked out of the WH prior to the inauguration?).

This is who they've chosen to be the face and lead their party. 

Crazy times.

Anyone who claims Trump doesn't completely control the GOP is simply lying to themselves.

I would probably lie to myself too if I supported a party led by an admitted serial sexual abuser (they "let" you do it ie. the Weinstein defense), serial adulterer, serial liar, narcissistic, poor loser (remember when he slinked out of the WH prior to the inauguration?).

Crazy times.

It wasn't that long ago that any one of these things would have been enough to have you ostracized from the Republican party (and these aren't even the worst of his offenses).  For some reason morality is no longer a value that is held in high regards by the GOP and I'm not sure how or why that happened.

Don't get me wrong, the Democrats twice elected Bill Clinton so they're no better but Republicans always prided themselves as being principled and all about law and order.  Meanwhile they gush over a person like Donald J Trump.  Weird.

I have voted for Democrat, Republican and Thirdparty candidates but I can tell you that anyone running for office that supports DJT will not get my vote.

It wasn't that long ago that any one of these things would have been enough to have you ostracized from the Republican party (and these aren't even the worst of his offenses).  For some reason morality is no longer a value that is held in high regards by the GOP and I'm not sure how or why that happened.

Don't get me wrong, the Democrats twice elected Bill Clinton so they're no better but Republicans always prided themselves as being principled and all about law and order.  Meanwhile they gush over a person like Donald J Trump.  Weird.

I have voted for Democrat, Republican and Thirdparty candidates but I can tell you that anyone running for office that supports DJT will not get my vote.
I voted majority R until Obama and I agree with you 100%.  And the dems did twice elect Clinton, but his stuff wasn't as out in the open as how Trump flaunts it.

Let's hope we get back to getting reasonable, intelligent, and not ancient folks running for POTUS.

I voted majority R until Obama and I agree with you 100%.  And the dems did twice elect Clinton, but his stuff wasn't as out in the open as how Trump flaunts it.

Let's hope we get back to getting reasonable, intelligent, and not ancient folks running for POTUS.

Agreed.  I hope the GOP gets their head out of their you-know-what because I would rather re-elect a disaster like Joe Biden than vote for DJT or someone that supports him.

You would think running ads with a person that is still whining about a rigged election and  attempted to remain in office by nefarious means would be political suicide but at least in Pennsylvania it is a badge of honor.

All 5 of the republicans running for governor of Minnesota refused to say that Joe Biden won the election.

This is not uncommon

https://dfl.org/press-release/icymi-all-5-mn-gop-gov-candidates-dont-believe-biden-legitimately-won-the-presidential-election/

Crazy times.

Instead you support a party led by a serial sexual abuser who just has it swept under the rug.

https://www.thecut.com/2020/04/joe-biden-accuser-accusations-allegations.html

A lifelong bigoted racist.  But Obama apparently washed all his racial sins away.  

Users who are viewing this thread