What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Grade your team's draft from 2016 (1 Viewer)

Hooper31

Footballguy
The return of my annual thread.

Did this last seven years. 

Link to the grades from the 2015 draft. Seattle grade = B
Link to the grades from the 2014 draft. Seattle grade = C
Link to the grades from the 2013 draft. Seattle grade = C-
Link to the grades from the 2012 draft. Seattle grade = A
Link to the grades from the 2011 draft. Seattle grade = A
Link to the grades from the 2010 draft. Seattle grade = A
Link to the grades from the 2009 draft. Seattle grade = F

Journalists keep saying they're forced to give grades. They know it's a stupid activity. They routinely admit it and proceed to throw down the grades anyway. Let's choose to be better. After investing the time for only a few years it changes one's perspective. Realizing what actually constitutes a respectable draft. It doesn't take much. Most years you're looking at getting a starter or two if you're lucky. The vast majority of players drafted don't make it onto the field.  If you go back and look through the Seahawks 2010, 2011, and 2012 drafts you'll see why they played in back to back Super Bowls. They crushed those years and got somewhat lucky. Pro-bowl starters outside the first two rounds? They had a bunch in Sherman, Wright, Chancellor, Baldwin, and Wilson on a rookie contract. Geesh. 

If you wish to participate please include the following:
1. List of drafted players. LINK to DraftHistory.com
2. Players still with team
3. Starters
4. Potential future starters
5. Pro-bowls
6. Positives
7. Negatives
8. Grade

Year

Year Pick# Round Pick Overall Player Position College

2016 1 1 31 31 Germain Ifedi G Texas A&M
2 2 18 49 Jarran Reed DT Alabama
3 3 27 90 C.J. Prosise RB Notre Dame
4 3 32 94 Nick Vannett TE Ohio State
5 3 35 97 Rees Odhiambo G Boise State
6 5 8 147 Quinton Jefferson DT Maryland
7 5 34 171 Alex Collins RB Arkansas
8 6 40 215 Joey Hunt C Texas Christian
9 7 22 243 Kenny Lawler WR California
10 7 26 247 Zac Brooks RB Clemson

2. Players still with team: 2 (Reed and Hunt)
3. Starters: 1
4. Potential future starters: 0
5. Pro-bowls: 0
6. Positives: The first 8 players in this draft contributed some positives. Reed had a monster breakout year in 2018 with 10.5 sacks from the DT spot and earned a second contract. Howver, he did get suspended 6 games last year and we missed him badly. Both Vannett and Odhiambo saw some starts. Vannet returned a 5th rounder in a trade. Odhiambo started half a season at guard, but hit IR after needing a surgery and never returned. Jefferson has been a bright spot the past two years and the Bills are going to be glad they recently signed him. Collins got stuck in a crowded backfield and never got a chance. He exploded for just under 1000 yards with the Ravens in a breakout season, but disappeared after that. Joey Hunt started most of last season after Britt got hurt and was recently resigned. 
7. Negatives: Ifedi was a four year starter and was durable, but not reliable. Leading the league in penalties over that time he wasn't worthy of the fifth year option. It was maddening see him be a great run blocker at times helping the team lead the league in rushing yards, but his holding and false starts were awful. Making things worse, no team gave him decent money in the offseason. Of course this means that Seattle won't even come close a reasonable compensatory pick for him. He's screwing us even when he's no longer on the team. Procise teased us with a huge game in a win over the Patriots, but couldn't stay healthy and rarely saw the field again. 
8. Grade: C

2016 1 1 2 2 Carson Wentz QB North Dakota State
2 3 16 79 Isaac Seumalo G Oregon State
3 5 14 153 Wendell Smallwood RB West Virginia
4 5 27 164 Halapoulivaati Vaitai T Texas Christian
5 6 21 196 Blake Countess DB Auburn
6 7 12 233 Jalen Mills DB Louisiana State
7 7 19 240 Alex McCalister DE Florida
8 7 30 251 Joe Walker LB Oregon

EAGLES

2. Players still with team: 3 (Wentz, Seumalo, Mills)
3. Starters: 3 (though Vaitai was also in and out)
4. Potential future starters: 0
5. Pro-bowls: 1 (I believe Carson had 1)
6. Positives: Got the franchise quarterback.  Made a huge gamble and it paid off.  Mills has had his issues, but he has been a starter pretty much from jump.  Seumalo has also been up and down, but on the whole a solid contributor.  Vaitai was kind of the same as Seumalo, but had less margin for error as a tackle.  He got blown away by a FA offer from Detroit this offseaon.  Smallwood had his moments.
7. Negatives: Countess was cut fairly early, though I think he is still in the league.  Walker played briefly, but did little.  McCallister never did anything.
8. Grade: A

Got a franchise QB and 4 other contributors at various levels, including 2 current starters.  Only players who were total busts were from the 7th round.  If we are being fair, this is a pretty good draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jets. Argh. Looks like D- at best. This was the year we drafted Darron Lee in the first and Christian Hackenberg in the second. Jordan Jenkins went in the third as a linebacker (he has contributed) and Brandon Shell went in the fifth and started sixteen or so games in total.

We drafted a punter in the seventh that might still be around. I don't pay attention to that #### anymore.

Grade: D-, F for Hackenberg's selection that surprised everyone and nobody at the same time

2016 1 1 24 24 William Jackson III DB Houston
2 2 24 55 Tyler Boyd WR Pittsburgh
3 3 24 87 Nick Vigil LB Utah State
4 4 24 122 Andrew Billings DT Baylor
5 5 24 161 Christian Westerman G Arizona State
6 6 24 199 Cody Core WR Mississippi
7 7 24 245 Clayton Fejedelem DB Illinois

Bengals

1 1000 yard receiver 1 mediocre starting CB, C- 

Man that’s harsh. Bengals 2016 is a B for me. A decent starting corner for years is fine for a late first, Boyd has been really good and the other rounds have contributed. Fejedelem was a special teams stud before leaving for more money. Vigil was mediocre but he was a starting mlb from round 3. Billings got a 2nd deal to leave. 

Bottom line,  boring draft but a bunch of contributors and 7/7 still in the nfl right now. 

Lions

First Round (#16 overall) – OT Taylor Decker – Ohio State

Second Round (#46 overall) – DT A’Shawn Robinson – Alabama

Third Round (#95 overall) – C Graham Glasgow – Michigan

Fourth Round (#111 overall) – S Miles Killebrew – Southern Utah

Fifth Round (#151 overall) – G Joe Dahl – Washington State

Fifth Round (#169 overall) – LB Antwione Williams – Georgia Southern

Sixth Round (#191 overall) – QB Jake Rudock – Michigan

Sixth Round (#202 overall) – DL Anthony Zettel – Penn State

Ill give it a B. Just about all those guys have contributed somewhat, but we haven’t really had a lot of success on the field due to it. 

Titans get an A+ for once. 

STUD: Henry, Conklin, Byard

contributor: Johnson, Sharpe

Dodd didn't do much, but otherwise this is almost the gold standard.

2016    1    1    8    8    Jack Conklin    T    Michigan State
     2    2    2    33    Kevin Dodd    DE    Clemson
     3    2    12    43    Austin Johnson    DT    Penn State
     4    2    14    45    Derrick Henry    RB    Alabama
     5    3    1    64    Kevin Byard    DB    Middle Tennessee State
     6    5    1    140    Tajae Sharpe    WR    Massachusetts
     7    5    20    157    LeShaun Sims    DB    Southern Utah
     8    6    18    193    Sebastian Tretola    G    Arkansas
     9    7    1    222    Aaron Wallace    LB    UCLA
     10    7    32    253    Kalan Reed    DB    Southern Mississippi

The Lions actually did pretty well with the 2016 draft. 

1. Taylor Decker- looked like he was going to be a Pro Bowler rookie year but after getting hurt in year 2 he has topped out as just solid. Detroit has a tough call with deciding whether or not to make him a franchise LT with a big contract. Still, getting a solid LT at pick 16 in the draft is a success. 

2. A'Shawn Robinson- he has had flashes but is more of rotational piece, maybe another team will get more out of him

3. Graham Glasgow- has been super versatile playing 3 different spots on the line, really came on last year as one of the most underrated guards in the league but for reasons nobody including Glasgow understands, Detroit didn't sign him when he was affordable and let him walk without even attempting to negotiate a deal. 

4. Miles Kilebrew- he seemed like he was developing into a decent safety but when Patricia came he converted him to LB and has limited his playing time, he's strong on special teams which I assume is the reason Detroit re-signed him

5. Joe Dahl-  has developed into an average starting guard

5.  Antwione Williams- no clue who he is, he might have not even made the team

6. Jake Ruddock-  not an NFL level QB

6.Anthony Zettel-  he has bounced around the league but he's still in the league so that's something

6. Jimmy Landes- see Antwione Williams

7. Dwayne Washington- he's not very good but he's still hanging around in the league so I guess that is a hit for a 7th round pick

2016 1 1 15 15 Corey Coleman WR Baylor
2 2 1 32 Emmanuel Ogbah DE Oklahoma State
3 3 2 65 Carl Nassib DE Penn State
4 3 13 76 Shon Coleman T Auburn
5 3 31 93 Cody Kessler QB USC
6 4 1 99 Joe Schobert LB Wisconsin
7 4 16 114 Ricardo Louis WR Auburn
8 4 31 129 Derrick Kindred DB Texas Christian
9 4 40 138 Seth Devalve TE Princeton
10 5 15 154 Jordan Payton WR UCLA
11 5 31 168 Spencer Drango G Baylor
12 5 35 172 Rashard Higgins WR Colorado State
13 5 36 173 Trey Caldwell DB Louisiana-Monroe
14 7 29 250 Scooby Wright III LB Arizona

Browns

2. Players still with team: 0, but a few are still in the league
3. Starters: 4, I think
5. Pro-bowls: 2?  I think Schobert was in 2. 
6. Positives: Got some decent defensive players.  Devalve & Higgins were okay.  Drango started a couple games after injuries.
7. Negatives: Traded down for Coleman who checked all the boxes on the computer, but couldn't fit his helmet over his ego.  
8. Grade: B-  Could have been A if first rounder was spent wisely.

Positives: Got some decent defensive players.  Devalve & Higgins were okay.  Drango started a couple games after injuries.
Negatives: Traded down for Coleman who checked all the boxes on the computer, but couldn't fit his helmet over his ego.  
I think Ogbah, Nassib, Schobert, and Higgins (Dorsey did him wrong last year) were good picks. Coleman was obviously a massive swing-and-a-miss, but the coaching staff quitting on him August year one played a role in his lack of development. I don't put much stock into day 3 misses, but the nerds certainly did not do a good job given the amount of darts they had to play with. 

Jets. Argh. Looks like D- at best. This was the year we drafted Darron Lee in the first and Christian Hackenberg in the second. Jordan Jenkins went in the third as a linebacker (he has contributed) and Brandon Shell went in the fifth and started sixteen or so games in total.

We drafted a punter in the seventh that might still be around. I don't pay attention to that #### anymore.

Grade: D-, F for Hackenberg's selection that surprised everyone and nobody at the same time
Gawd. I was clicking through the prior year links and here was the Jets' dumpster of garbage from 2015 ...

1.6 Leonard Williams DE  USC

2.5 Devin Smith WR Ohio State

3.18 Lorenzo Mauldin LB Louisville

4. 4- Bryce Petty QB Baylor

5.16  Jarvis Harrison G Texas A&M

6. 7 Deon Simon DT Northwestern State (LA)

... and from 2014 ...

Round    Pick    Player    Position    College    Notes
1    18    Calvin Pryor     S    Louisville    
2    49    Jace Amaro     TE    Texas Tech    
3    80    Dexter McDougle     CB    Maryland    
4    104    Jalen Saunders     WR    Oklahoma    Pick from TB
4    115    Shaquelle Evans     WR    UCLA    
4    137    Dakota Dozier     OT    Furman    Compensatory
5    154    Jeremiah George     LB    Iowa St    
6    195    Brandon Dixon     CB    Northwest Missouri St    
6    209    Quincy Enunwa     WR    Nebraska    Compensatory
6    210    Ikemefuna Enemkpali     DE    Louisiana Tech    Compensatory
6    213    Tajh Boyd     QB    Clemson    Compensatory
7    233    Trevor Reilly     LB    Utah    

I have to say, I thought I'd be hard-pressed to find a three-year stretch worse than Chip Kelly's, but you guys might have that beat.

Chargers:

2016 1 1 3 3 Joey Bosa DE Ohio State
2 2 4 35 Hunter Henry TE Arkansas
3 3 3 66 Max Tuerk C USC
4 4 4 102 Joshua Perry LB Ohio State
5 5 38 175 Jatavis Brown LB Akron
6 6 4 179 Drew Kaser P Texas A&M
7 6 23 198 Derek Watt FB Wisconsin
8 7 3 224 Donavon Clark G Michigan State

2. Players still with team: 2
3. Starters: 2
5. Pro-bowls: 2 (both Bosa)
6. Positives:

• Bosa is an elite player.
  • Henry seems to have the potential to become a top tier TE, though he has been held back by injuries.
  • Brown provided solid value for a 5th rounder.
  • Watt wasn't a particularly good FB but he was a good special teams player.
7. Negatives:

• Tuerk never played for the Chargers and was released less than halfway through the 2017 season. 
  • Perry was released before the first game of the 2017 season.
  • Telesco actually drafted a punter... and then released him after the 4th game of the 2018 season.
  • Telesco actually drafted a FB instead of just signing a UDFA or a veteran to a veteran minimum contract.
  • Not that expectations are high for 7th rounders, but Clark never played a down for the Chargers.
8. Grade: Bosa is great, but drafting an elite player should be expected at #3. Henry was a better find, but his value has been mitigated by injuries. Brown looked like a steal early, but faded and is no longer on the team. Telesco completely whiffed on the 3rd and 4th round picks. Put it all together and IMO it's a C- draft.

Gawd. I was clicking through the prior year links and here was the Jets' dumpster of garbage from 2015 ...

1.6 Leonard Williams DE  USC

2.5 Devin Smith WR Ohio State

3.18 Lorenzo Mauldin LB Louisville

4. 4- Bryce Petty QB Baylor

5.16  Jarvis Harrison G Texas A&M

6. 7 Deon Simon DT Northwestern State (LA)

... and from 2014 ...

Round    Pick    Player    Position    College    Notes
1    18    Calvin Pryor     S    Louisville    
2    49    Jace Amaro     TE    Texas Tech    
3    80    Dexter McDougle     CB    Maryland    
4    104    Jalen Saunders     WR    Oklahoma    Pick from TB
4    115    Shaquelle Evans     WR    UCLA    
4    137    Dakota Dozier     OT    Furman    Compensatory
5    154    Jeremiah George     LB    Iowa St    
6    195    Brandon Dixon     CB    Northwest Missouri St    
6    209    Quincy Enunwa     WR    Nebraska    Compensatory
6    210    Ikemefuna Enemkpali     DE    Louisiana Tech    Compensatory
6    213    Tajh Boyd     QB    Clemson    Compensatory
7    233    Trevor Reilly     LB    Utah    

I have to say, I thought I'd be hard-pressed to find a three-year stretch worse than Chip Kelly's, but you guys might have that beat.
As a UCLA alum I would fire Chip right now from UCLA, that guy needs to be in the broadcast booth with Jim Mora.

Vikings

1    Laquon Treadwell    23    WR
2    Mackensie Alexander    54    CB
4    Willie Beavers    121    T
5    Kentrell Brothers    160    OLB
6    Moritz Boehringer    180    WR
6    David Morgan    188    TE
7    Stephen Weatherly    227    OLB
7    Jayron Kearse    244    S

One word: ouch

Ravens

2016 Draft Picks

Round 1, Pick 6 OT Ronnie Stanley

Round 2, Pick 42 OLB Kamalei Correa

Round 3, Pick 70 DE Bronson Kaufusi

Round 4, Pick 104 CB Tavon Young

Round 4, Pick 107 WR Chris Moore

Round 4, Pick 130 OG Alex Lewis

Round 4, Pick 132 DT Willie Henry

Round 4, Pick 134 RB Kenneth Dixon

Round 5, Pick 146 OLB Matt Judon

Round 6, Pick 182 WR Keenan Reynolds

Round 6, Pick 209 CB Maurice Canady

Kind of a boom or bust for Baltimore on this one. 

Stanley's getting set to be the highest-paid LT. If Tavon Young could stop getting ;life-threating injuries, he's a top-half-of-the-NFL starter. Chris Moore never really panned out as a WR but, as a WR4 and STer, he's been ok. Alex Lewis was serviceable before getting traded. Judon, they hit a homerun on and he's getting very rich. 

Kenny Dixon flashed some, but never could get over the hump. Henry, Reynolds, and Canaday - not a lot there.

The big problems were Correa and Kaufasi. Neither did squat with the Ravens. I think Correa ended up in Tennessee and is a starter; not sure where Baltimore went wrong there. Kaufasi was a flat out bust and I don't even know if he's still in the league.

I'd give them a B-. The highs are very high, but the 2nd and 3rd rounders hurt at spots they really needed.

The big problems were Correa and Kaufasi. Neither did squat with the Ravens. I think Correa ended up in Tennessee and is a starter; not sure where Baltimore went wrong there. 
Correa is solid, not spectacular and (probably) won't start next year. Still, he helps. So thanks.

Saints 

Pick 1-12   Sheldon Rankins DT Louisville

Pick 2-16   Michael Thomas WR OSU 

Pick 2-30   Vonn Bell DB OSU

Pick 4-22    David Onyemata DT Manitoba

Pick 7-16    Daniel Lasco RB Cal

Still have 3 starters from that group (Thomas, Rankins, Onyemata).  Thomas is arguably the best WR in the league, just broke the NFL season record for receptions in 2019.  Rankins is very good and that defensive front is scary with him and Cam Jordan, but he has struggled with health a bit, playing 9, 16, 16, & 10 games each season.  

Bell started for 4 years and was solid but walked in FA after 2019 and Lasco was never more than practice squad and occasional ST fill in, released injured in 2019.   3 total Pro-Bowls, all from Thomas. 

Overall Grade - A.  It could have been one of their best drafts with more picks, but they gave up their 3 and 4 trading up for Bell. 

C plus Patriots.  

They have one player left from the 2016 draft, Joe Thuney. 

They also got valuable backup work from Jacoby brissett and traded him

Tough to grade this as especially good or bad.  

I'll post Mel Kiper Jr.'s thoughts on Tampa's 2016 draft:

"First, to the really important stuff. I keep hearing people taking digs at the Bucs for drafting a kicker in Round 2, but Roberto Aguayo really is the kind of guy you take in Round 2. With PATs moved back and the fact that so many games come down to that one big kick, at that point it just doesn't look that bad. OK ... so about those other guys. Vernon Hargreaves III has some questions on size -- can he stay on the outside? -- but the guy is going to be on the field early on, which is a plus at that position. Noah Spence is one of the top two or three pass-rushers in the entire draft and they got him at No. 39. You can live with that. Ryan Smith has potential in nickel packages and they were smart to add another tackle in Caleb Benenoch. Dan Vitale should stick. So why isn't the grade higher? It's because those top two picks represent at least some risk. Can Hargreaves handle the bigger receivers that dot the NFL? Can Spence stay focused? It's a good draft but isn't without a question or two."
Ryan Smith is the only player still on the roster and only plays special teams.  What's worse than an F? 

This annual thread has impacted my expectations for what a "good" draft looks like. Specifically, it's kept my expectations realistic for picks beyond round 2. 
Absolutley - I’ve loved these look-back threads over the years and the primary takeaway for me is that if you can get 2-3 good players, you’ve done great. Chargers have already been reviewed but I think getting an elite edge defender (Bosa) and a very talented TE like Henry makes it at least a B. 

Thanks for the thread !

37 - Chris Jones, DL

74 - KeiVarae Russell, CB

105 - Parker Ehinger, IOL

106 - Eric Murray, DB

126 - Demarcus Robinson, WR

162 - Kevin Hogan, QB

165 - Tyreek Hill, WR

178 - D.J. White, CB

203 - Dadi Nicolas, EDGE

Players still with team: 3

Starters: 2

Potential future starters: 0

Pro Bowls: 5

Positives: John Dorsey hit two grand slams with Chris Jones and Tyreek Hill. Both are total game-changers. Demarcus Robinson is a decent rotation WR, and Eric Murray was a special teams stud for a couple seasons.

Negatives: KeiVarae Russell was so bad he was cut before his rookie season began - not a great 3rd round pick. Many of the later-round players flamed out quickly.

Grade: A+. Can’t really ask for more than two all-pros in one draft. Jones and Hill were key in the Chiefs’ SB run this year.

Lions

First Round (#16 overall) – OT Taylor Decker – Ohio State

Second Round (#46 overall) – DT A’Shawn Robinson – Alabama

Third Round (#95 overall) – C Graham Glasgow – Michigan

Fourth Round (#111 overall) – S Miles Killebrew – Southern Utah

Fifth Round (#151 overall) – G Joe Dahl – Washington State

Fifth Round (#169 overall) – LB Antwione Williams – Georgia Southern

Sixth Round (#191 overall) – QB Jake Rudock – Michigan

Sixth Round (#202 overall) – DL Anthony Zettel – Penn State

Ill give it a B. Just about all those guys have contributed somewhat, but we haven’t really had a lot of success on the field due to it. 
I have to revise this- when I cut/pasted, I missed a couple guys. One of which was 6th rd long snapper jimmy landis. 

F

IMHO, the top 4 grades:

A+ Dallas cowboys (Zeke, Dak, J Smith, Collins, even Anthony Brown has had some success)

A New Orleans Saints, Tennessee Titans, Jacksonville jaguars

I do enjoy these threads.

2016 Broncos: C-

players still with the team: 1 - Justin Simmons.

Starters: 4 - Simmons and McGovern were clearly starters.  let's call Jano the starting FB and Dixon is a starting punter.

potential future starters: I think Parks may start in Philly?  we'll call him a potential future starter.

pro-bowls: 0, although I expect Simmons to be on a pro-bowl track.

1. Paxton Lynch - drafted to be the QBotF.  Never panned out.  massive bust.

2. Adam Gostis: started for two years.  was an OK, rotational player, was not offered a second contract.  At least he stuck in the league for 4 years.

3. Justin Simmons: He has turned into a real nice player.  Starter for the past 3 years.  Was one of the top FA players this year, and was tenered at the franchise level. 

4 Devontae Booker: like Gostis, at least he made the team for 4 years.  He has never been better than JAG, but not awful for a 4th round pick.

5 Connor McGovern: started @ C last year and played really well.  Signed a hefty contract with the Jets, so good on him.  Gotta call this a good pick.

6. Andy Janoivich - he was one of my favorite players.  Unfortunately, Shurmer doesn't use a FB so Jano was traded to Cleveland.  He was given a nice second contract, so this dude had value, just not with this team.

6. Will Parks: another nice player who unfortunately was the victim of the depth chart, behind Simmons and Kareem Jackson.  Signed a one year prove it deal with the Eagles.

7. Riley Dixon: was traded when Broncos signed Marquette King.  Starting punter for the Giants.  Frankly, I wish we had him back.

=========================================

So, this is a tough draft to grade.  There was some fine value late but a clear miss with the first pick.  How we grade this draft depends on how much value you place on the first round.  Outside of Lynch, this would be a very solid B or even an A minus because every player (outside of lynch) played out their contract, some signed elsewhere, and some were traded (and I didn't really like either trade).  But still, Paxton.  Let's call this a C minus.

Eta: after further consideration, I'm upgrading from C- to B-.

Also, an note to self for 2020: include AJ Bouye who was aquired for a 4th round pick and Jurrell Casey who was aquired for a 7th, both picks coming from the 2020 draft.

Raiders took Karl Joseph over Keanu Neal in the first and Jihad Ward over Derrick Henry in the second. So not a huge fan of this year off the bat.

Shiliqur Calhoun, Connor Cook, DeAndre Washington, Cory James, and Vadal Alexander.

Not many hits (arguable Joseph and Washington are as they weren't trash but never broke through) and a largely forgettable draft.

C.

Steelers - D. 0 players left on the team. 1 good starter drafted. 

1-25 Artie Burns, DB
Started for few years. However didn't see much time last year. Now with the Bears.

2-58 Sean Davis, DB
Looked like an okay starter. Missed most of last year with injury. Now with Redskins. 

3-89 Javon Hargrave, DT
Best player from the draft. Good starter. Eagles signed him away with a big contract. 

4-123 Jerald Hawkins, OT
Has played in 6 games. Now with TB.

6-220 Travis Feeney, LB
0 games played. Out of the league.

7-229 Demarcus Ayers, WR
Played in 2 games as a rookie. Out of the league. 

7-246 Tyler Matakevich, LB
A special teams player, but a good one. Now with the Bills.

I do enjoy these threads.

2016 Broncos: C-

players still with the team: 1 - Justin Simmons.

Starters: 4 - Simmons and McGovern were clearly starters.  let's call Jano the starting FB and Dixon is a starting punter.

potential future starters: I think Parks may start in Philly?  we'll call him a potential future starter.

pro-bowls: 0, although I expect Simmons to be on a pro-bowl track.

1. Paxton Lynch - drafted to be the QBotF.  Never panned out.  massive bust.

2. Adam Gostis: started for two years.  was an OK, rotational player, was not offered a second contract.  At least he stuck in the league for 4 years.

3. Justin Simmons: He has turned into a real nice player.  Starter for the past 3 years.  Was one of the top FA players this year, and was tenered at the franchise level. 

4 Devontae Booker: like Gostis, at least he made the team for 4 years.  He has never been better than JAG, but not awful for a 4th round pick.

5 Connor McGovern: started @ C last year and played really well.  Signed a hefty contract with the Jets, so good on him.  Gotta call this a good pick.

6. Andy Janoivich - he was one of my favorite players.  Unfortunately, Shurmer doesn't use a FB so Jano was traded to Cleveland.  He was given a nice second contract, so this dude had value, just not with this team.

6. Will Parks: another nice player who unfortunately was the victim of the depth chart, behind Simmons and Kareem Jackson.  Signed a one year prove it deal with the Eagles.

7. Riley Dixon: was traded when Broncos signed Marquette King.  Starting punter for the Giants.  Frankly, I wish we had him back.

=========================================

So, this is a tough draft to grade.  There was some fine value late but a clear miss with the first pick.  How we grade this draft depends on how much value you place on the first round.  Outside of Lynch, this would be a very solid B or even an A minus because every player (outside of lynch) played out their contract, some signed elsewhere, and some were traded (and I didn't really like either trade).  But still, Paxton.  Let's call this a C minus.

Seems better than a C- to me. Watching1st round QBs bust sucks in particular because there is usually so much to dream on. And although Denver did move up a few spots to get Lynch (cost them a 3rd rounder in addition to their 1st rounder) he was still only 26th overall, so not nearly as painful as high 1st QB busts. And the Donkeys nailed most of the the rest of their draft, as you point out in your a analysis.  I’d probably give them a B.  4 starters and a couple more contributors is a nice haul!  

Seems better than a C- to me. Watching1st round QBs bust sucks in particular because there is usually so much to dream on. And although Denver did move up a few spots to get Lynch (cost them a 3rd rounder in addition to their 1st rounder) he was still only 26th overall, so not nearly as painful as high 1st QB busts. And the Donkeys nailed most of the the rest of their draft, as you point out in your a analysis.  I’d probably give them a B.  4 starters and a couple more contributors is a nice haul!  
Semantics, but I'm calling a FB and a punter as starters to get to 4.  Not sure if that's reasonable.  Its not like they are every-down starters.

Maybe i am being too harsh here, Lynch was such a colossal disappointment. It was a pretty good draft outside of Lynch.  Hell, the fact that everyone besides Lynch made the cut for 4 years is pretty damn impressive.

I think Correa ended up in Tennessee and is a starter; not sure where Baltimore went wrong there.
I'd say them deciding during OTAs to move him to ILB when he'd never played there before and hadn't spent a whole lot of time in coverage in college was what went wrong in Baltimore.

He had promising athletic numbers for an EDGE and could have developed if he was kept there imo. AFAIK Tennessee uses him as an EDGE

As I outlined in (too much??) detail in the thread linked above, the 2015 Green Bay Packers draft was dreadful. That 2015 team won a playoff game but came into the 2016 draft needing a lot of help on defense.

Round 1 (#27 overall) – Kenny Clark, NT (UCLA): In March of 2016, former 1st round pick B. J. Raji retired after seven seasons. While Raji claimed he “had a nice deal on the table from Green Bay and the interest of some other playoff-contending teams” he decided to take a “hiatus” from football which continues at the time of this writing. Filling a Raji-sized vacancy in the middle of the defensive line immediately became a priority for the Packers.

Kenny Clark was the perfect answer, available at the end of the first round allegedly due to his “small size and short arms.” If you say so. Clark played in all 16 games as a rookie and made some plays in his 32% snap share. By 2017 he was locked in as the starting NT in Green Bay’s 3-4 defense and his career has steadily ascended since then. In 2018 he led the team in both quarterback pressures (46) and run stops (28). In 2019 he played a ridiculous 89% of snaps on defense as he was at times a one-man show on the DL. He was named a Pro Bowl alternate and is often listed among the most underrated young defenders in the league. As the final year of his rookie contract approaches, Clark is due for a big payday. This, the last 1st round pick made by GM Ted Thompson, is a solid “A.” How refreshing after last year’s firehose of diarrhea to the face.

Round 2 (#48 overall) – Jason Spriggs, OL (Indiana): Oh wait now I’m sad again. Thompson traded up from pick #57, throwing in a 4th and a 7th round pick, to the Colts to draft Jason Spriggs at #48. (Coincidentally one of those Indy picks would play for the Packers in 2018: ILB Antonio Morrison, pick #125). Tackle didn’t seem a glaring need, though Bryan Bulaga had missed a few games, he and David Bakhtiari (at the time uncertain of a contract extension) had just completed another season as bookend tackles, a combo we now know endured through the 2019 season. At the time this pick was mostly praised and you can dig up circa-2016 quotes about how Spriggs was “an exceptional athlete” and “first-round value midway through the second round.”

He appeared in 36 games with 9 starts over his three seasons in Green Bay, getting some experience at both RG and RT. I don’t have any special insight here—he just wasn’t good. In 2018 Spriggs started twice and played at least 40 snaps in three other games, still finding time to allow 2.5 sacks and get called for 7 penalties. PFF ranked him 47th (out of 84) in pass-blocking efficiency. In August 2019 Green Bay released Spriggs with an injury designation and he was not on anyone’s roster that season. In April 2020 Spriggs signed a 1-year deal with the Chicago Bears. During the 2016 draft there was chatter that the Bears at pick #56 were among the teams eyeing Spriggs. The Bears drafted Cody Whitehair at that spot instead, who has started 64 straight games for them at Center. You may be shocked to learn the Spriggs selection gets an “F.” Good luck blocking Kenny Clark next year.

Round 3 (#88 overall) – Kyler Fackrell, Edge (Utah State): In 2012 Nick Perry had been drafted as an OLB to complement Clay Matthews III at the height of his pass-rushing stardom. Perry would have a breakout season in 2016 but to this point his career had been marred by injury and inconsistency to the point that he was playing on a cheap 1-year contract. Julius Peppers was still in town too, so expectations were low for Kyler Fackrell as a rotational rusher. He was one of the oldest players in the draft and had torn his ACL in 2014. Fans largely saw him as a bust through the first two years of his career when most of his snaps were on special teams, but in 2018 Fackrell played 59% of the defensive snaps and racked up 10.5 sacks while earning the nickname “Sackrell”. He wasn’t exactly consistent in his QB pressure though: he had two separate games with 3 sacks that year.

In 2019 GB added two free agent OLBs in Za’Darius Smith and Preston Smith and the writing was on the wall for Fackrell. His snaps vaporized and he got 1 sack. The Packers made no attempt to re-sign him after his rookie contract expired. In March 2020 the New York Giants signed Fackrell to a 1-year, $4.6 million deal. I’m giving this pick a “D+” which might seem mean but it’s really an exaggeration to say he had “one good season.” It’s more like “a couple good games.” It’s sort of amazing he put up a double-digit sack season. Joe Schobert of Wisconsin, drafted by Cleveland 11 picks later, would have been a much better selection.

Round 4 (#131 overall) – Blake Martinez, ILB (Stanford): Clay Matthews III had played much of the past couple seasons at ILB instead of his usual OLB spot, so adding depth inside would allow Matthews more pass-rushing opportunities. Enter Blake Martinez, who started 9 games inside as a rookie teaming with the previous year’s draft pick Jake Ryan. After that Martinez became the main man at ILB, starting every game with the Packers from 2017 through 2019. In 2017 he tied for the league lead in tackles with 144 and PFF gave him an overall grade of 80.2, 23rd among all qualifying linebackers.

Martinez continued putting up big tackle numbers (which no one cares about), finishing second in the league in 2018 despite a broken hand. By this time fans accepted that this was where he fit in to the defense: not creating much on his own but doing the clean-up work in the middle. He wasn’t particularly intimidating in any facet of his game but was extremely reliable. After another similar season in 2019 it was taken for granted the Packers wouldn’t match the open market price on Martinez. I believe they made an offer but Martinez signed with the Giants on a 3-year, $30m deal. In four years of heavy usage he recorded 3 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles and 10 sacks for the Packers (and a mountain of tackles which we already know no one cares about). He’s a fine player, and good value in the fourth round. He has over 100 more tackles than anyone else drafted in 2016 (stop talking about tackles!). I gave Jake Ryan a “C” last year and Martinez is better. Call it a “B-“.

Round 4 (#137 overall) – Dean Lowry, DE (Northwestern): Six picks later (between which Dak Prescott was drafted) the Packers were back on the clock and committing yet more draft resources to the team’s defense. Dean Lowry, born into a family of Bears fans, suddenly found himself headed north. Lowry played sparingly as a rookie but gradually ascended to a starting DE role. In July 2019 the Packers rewarded him with a 3-year, $20m contract extension, signaling that they were investing in youth at the position instead of Mike Daniels who was cut a day later. In response to the new contract Lowry delivered a workmanlike 2019 season, starting every game. He had zero sacks for the first time in his career but did snag his first career interception off Mitch Trubisky. While he has parlayed his modest draft status into a decent paycheck Lowry doesn’t have much in the way of accomplishment to boast about to date (7 career sacks). I used to work with his sister but no one cares about that either. Final grade = “C“ for a mediocre starter in the middle rounds.

Round 5 (#163 overall) – Trevor Davis, WR (California): In 2016 the Packers were still well-stocked at WR (with the caveat that Jordy Nelson was coming back from an ACL tear) and the 2015 draft had yielded a kick returner in Ty Montgomery. Davis’s best year, though hardly notable, was in 2017 as the Packers' primary kick returner when he gained over 1,000 all-purpose yards. His development as a receiver was often hyped during offseason workouts but he was frequently unavailable due to injuries. In September 2019 the Packers traded Davis to the Oakland Raiders for a 2020 6th round draft pick which just days ago became Jon Runyan Jr. (OL). In his first game with the Raiders Davis rushed for a 60-yard TD but that remains his only NFL touchdown to date. Davis was waived by the Raiders late in the 2019 season and claimed by the Miami Dolphins. He offers little as a receiver and is a replacement-level kick returner. That’s not catastrophic for a fifth-rounder but figuring in his frequent injury absences I’ll give it a “C-“. It’s hard to find a speedy all-around weapon this late in the draft. Except that Tyreek Hill went two picks later.

Round 6 (#200 overall) – Kyle Murphy, OL (Stanford): If you turn the clock back one year from today to April 2019, Kyle Murphy was the only member of this draft class not still on the Packers roster. So while many of these picks weren’t mind-blowing value they did contribute plenty of snaps before their rookie deals expired. Murphy started 3 games between RT and LT in 2017, performing poorly in his 228 snaps. The Packers released him in 2018 and since then he has spent time on the practice squads of the Rams and Texans. It’s a very late pick but he’s not really an NFL-caliber player, so this is a “D.”

Notable undrafted free agents:

Geronimo Allison, WR (Illinois): A favorite of Aaron Rodgers, who called him “G-Mo,” Allison appeared in 25 games between 2016-2017 with a total of just 35 catches. In 2018 expectations were high for him to start as the third WR alongside Davante Adams and Randall Cobb. In the first month of the season he was up to the task with 20 catches for 300 yards and 2 TDs but a concussion and a later groin surgery ended his season. The same hype for him just wasn’t there in 2019, and while it was his “best” season with 34 receptions they went for a lousy 8.4 yards per catch. Passed on the depth chart by another undrafted WR in Allen Lazard, Allison’s career in GB ended quietly. In April 2020 he signed a 1-year deal with the Detroit Lions. (minor value added to overall draft grade)

Kentrell Brice, DB (Louisiana Tech): Brice beat out 2017 2nd round pick Josh Jones to become the Packers’ starting strong safety in 2018. He made 10 starts but was frequently berated by fans as a weak point on the back end of the defense. He had a somewhat-unearned reputation as a big hitter and managed to concuss himself on a tackle of Vikings RB Dalvin Cook for which he was also fined. At least the only sack of his NFL career came in the classic Week 1 2018 win against the Bears. The Packers declined a tender for Brice in March 2019, making him an unrestricted free agent. The Packers trotted out some crummy safeties last decade and Brice was certainly among them with his 14 career starts. Since then he has bounced from Tampa Bay to the Seattle Dragons of the XFL and signed with the Bears in January 2020. (no value added to overall draft grade)

Reggie Gilbert, Edge (Arizona): Had some big multi-sack pre-season performances but didn’t see much time on the active roster until 2018 when he played 48% of defensive snaps with 2.5 sacks. Joined the Tennessee Titans in 2019, playing 27% of snaps with 1 sack. (no value added to overall draft grade)

Overall that’s one excellent starter (Clark), one good starter (Martinez) and one mediocre starter (Lowry). Spriggs was a bust and Fackrell was overdrafted. The rest were the usual scattershot of contributors but most played out their rookie contracts in Green Bay. Martinez should generate a compensatory draft pick in 2021. Davis replaced himself with a Day 3 draft pick in trade. It wasn’t a challenge to do better than the 2015 draft but 2016 wasn’t as good as I thought when I started putting this together. While initially I was thinking B/B- the value is so heavily weighted in just the Kenny Clark pick that in the end I’m giving them a “C.”

Thanks Pro Football Focus and Pro Football Reference for the stats.

Vikings

1    Laquon Treadwell    23    WR
2    Mackensie Alexander    54    CB
4    Willie Beavers    121    T
5    Kentrell Brothers    160    OLB
6    Moritz Boehringer    180    WR
6    David Morgan    188    TE
7    Stephen Weatherly    227    OLB
7    Jayron Kearse    244    S

One word: ouch
:bag:  

Users who are viewing this thread